View Full Version : accepting your sleeping difficulties

Alexis
03-09-12, 03:25 AM
I wrote this in response to another thread and then I realised it wasn't realy relavant, it's about sleeping and stuff. When I wake up in the night I've started coming here and writing stuff, I find it realy helpful and a good use of time, and I get back to sleep better than if I go internet shopping

I think whatever your sleeping pattern is or however you feel when you wake up the first thing to do is to accept fully that this is how it is, try to drop as much of the anxiety and stress as you possibbly can and accept this is you and your reality, then try and make it better in a self supporting way and be nice to yourself, i.e don't beat yourself up.

My sleep is dreadful and often I feel dreadful in the mornings but I have been able to do a lot about this by working on my attitude to it and being practical about it and trying things out.

For me my problem is that if I wake up the speed of my thinking increases realy quickly if I don't get on top of it quickly, If I can I try and keep my mind free of anything but mundane or abstract thoughts till I go back to sleep, however I only have a very small window of oppourtunity to do this after which it is to agonising to stay still, I used to try and lie there and not wake my wife up but eventually I'd have to get up

Now if that happens I just get up, I recently read that in the old days people used to have two sleeps in a night and got up in the middle to do stuff, (read this link) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783) which is what I've been doing for years, it made me feel a lot better,

Another thing I know that make a difference is if I go to bed late I'll probably feel worse in the morning, I know it's obvious but what I try and do is get everything ready that I need in the morning (which is my most disorganised time) and get to bed before 11, preferably 10.30. We have a young baby and I know how they need routine and how any disruption to that routine throws them out, well I think grown ups need routine as well and whilst you can't force yourself into a routine that doesn't work you can find one that does

when I was younger I used to be able to sleep but I didn't have much of a concienece and I didn't realy analise things much, I used to work hard physically but not mentally, now I work hard mentally but not physically and I find it hard to switch off sometimes, what I try and do is have a unstressful non contencious period before I go to bed. you have to insist that your partner or whoever lets you have this and after all it's in their interests anyway.

I have been on sleeping tablets but eventually they stop working and you have to accept there is no easy fix, likewize excessive caffine and glucose etc to compensate for a perceived lack of energy. but in the end as with all ADHD problems self knowledge and personal management is the key and an ability to accept the situation as it is with a willingness to believe it might get better

Our second baby is due today so with her and an 18 month old I expect I'll be up a lot, but actually in a way it gives me an excuse to be up and something useful to do so I don't really mind. It also means people understand if I look a bit tired in the day

Acceptance is the key

:oAlexis

Brob2
03-09-12, 04:12 AM
Our second baby is due today so with her and an 18 month old I expect I'll be up a lot, but actually in a way it gives me an excuse to be up and something useful to do so I don't really mind. It also means people understand if I look a bit tired in the day

Acceptance is the key

:oAlexis

Nice post, and um, GOOD LUCK, YOU GO DUDE!!!:yes:

Yeesh, that will be hard on the ol' sleep patterns :eek: .

Fuzzy12
03-09-12, 08:20 AM
Best wishes @ the new arrival and good luck!! Hope it all goes smoothly :)