View Full Version : Foreign language waiver?

Tiako44
03-11-12, 02:48 PM
I have pretty much avoided FL since high school and even made the poor decision to not do it part of my AA. So I received my AA and recently learned about a year or two ago that all universities here now have it as an admission standard. I am willing to give the FL a try even tho I know I am prob going to do horrible but I need to be able to take more than 2 classes in the next 6 months. I have zero classes besides FL to take.. I have like 80 credit hours way over already. I have an education physc exam that says I am dyslexic, ADHD and have horrible sentence memory.

Is this enough to be able to at least be able to admit to the college?

Lillianmay
03-11-12, 07:10 PM
My state has an agreement with some of the major community colleges that having an AA gets a person automatically accepted at the State Universities as a junior. My brother did this and like you he avoided any foreign language in high school or community college.

He just got evaluated by university counseling for his disability which is similar to yours. He was given a foreign language waiver, but he does have to take something in its place - like a culture study course or something.

Also, sign language counts as a foreign language, and I tried it for a semester. My dyslexia did make some parts hard. I struggled with it but did much better once I got a tutor. I want to try it again sometime.

Tiako44
03-11-12, 08:31 PM
My state has an agreement with some of the major community colleges that having an AA gets a person automatically accepted at the State Universities as a junior. My brother did this and like you he avoided any foreign language in high school or community college.

He just got evaluated by university counseling for his disability which is similar to yours. He was given a foreign language waiver, but he does have to take something in its place - like a culture study course or something.

Also, sign language counts as a foreign language, and I tried it for a semester. My dyslexia did make some parts hard. I struggled with it but did much better once I got a tutor. I want to try it again sometime.

Yes our colleges in FL have the same agreement but they still wont let you transfer in from a community college with out the FL. You used to be able to but they changed it.

Lillianmay
03-11-12, 09:46 PM
Have you tried talking to the student disability services office at the college you are thinking of attending? Ask about a waiver. You will probably need recent (within 5 yrs usually) documentation of your disability. If talking on the phone is hard (it is for me) then see if you can't just email the question to both admissions and student disability.

My brother is just going part time - actually he is enrolled as a non-degree student to take just a couple of classes to see if he can hack it. If he chooses to go full time, the classes he took as a non-degree student will still count toward his degree. Also some students here take some classes at the U while taking other classes at the community college. There is a minimum number of credits that a student has to take at the U in the area they are getting a degree.

If you do not have the right documentation for your disability, consider taking a few classes part time as a non-degree candidate while student counseling does an assessment to get you the waiver - that cost my brother $75. You can also take a foreign language or Am. Sign at the community college and then apply, but I think you should be able to get a waiver.

This info brought to you care of my brother:)