View Full Version : ADD Medication & Studying: What I observed.

TheRoof
03-11-12, 09:46 PM
I have been taking Dexedrine 15mg ER since August. I have to say that it has helped me think in a clear-header manner. Here is my experience on and off the med.

A week and a half ago I decided to stop taking the medication. No side-effects happened. I was still able to function, sleep fine, no weight gain. But when I actually sat down to study & truly concentrate. I am an Economics major. (This field is very abstract)
Literally as I am studying I felt like I was "Too stupid" to comprehend anything. By eating a healthy diet of fresh vegetables, a vitamin, fish oil and clean protein & proper cardio exercise I can "achieve" similar effects to the ADD medication.

Enough was enough. I took the med two hours ago, and I felt amazing. I WANTED to study, and I just finished two weeks worth of work in less than 3 hours. I feel guilty. Because the medication really does make me WANT to sit down and study. (Especially the really difficult material)

I want to not rely on medication to make my life easier, but it really does. I guess my dilemma is... are there alternative ways to deal with ADD/ADHD without medication?

I don't want to take pills for the rest of my life. I would prefer to do things the more natural way, but I won't lie when I say. It really does make me achieve and motivate me to want to do very difficult things.

cattail
03-11-12, 11:31 PM
If you were diabetic or hypothyroid would you attempt to deal with your condition without medication? Sure you would eat right, exercise and take care of yourself, but would you feel guilty for also taking the necessary medication that allowed your body to function properly?

It sucks taking pills every day I know, but do you feel differently about this medication than others?

The fact that meds allow you to perform like you want is not shameful. It isn't just the meds that make you do your work. It is the fact that you are motivated and want to do the work, the meds just allow you to turn desires into actions. If you didn't have the drive and ability then your meds would not create them for you.

I guess that didn't really answer your question. I find exercise helps the most, but doesn't make up for Adderall.

trishcan
03-11-12, 11:36 PM
That's difficult to answer. I can't relate to feeling as though my symptoms are ever managed at all to the degree that they are on meds with any other lifestyle/nutritional modifications. I feel like, if you're seeing similar results with an alternate arrangement and just think meds make you enjoy studying more, that's a judgment call for you to make. If that were the case for me, I'd be reluctant to take medication... I think I'd feel as though I were abusing it.