View Full Version : Am I on the way to cure my ADHD completely?

standtall
03-11-12, 10:31 PM
I have an interesting story.

- September 2011, I was diagnosed and put on to 20mg x 2 (40mg) of Ritalin.

- Mid December, I was switched to 54mg Concerta

In six weeks or so, I was having symptoms of hyperfocus so my doctor reduced the dosage to 36mg.

Six week on 36mg and I am getting the hyperfocus symptoms again. My doctor has moved me to 20mg of Ritalin (10mg twice) a day which is working great.

He think I may be able to get off medication in 2-3 months completely.

I have done a few things in addition to medication which might have helped (I shared a lot of details in one of the earlier posts).

- Breathing (biofeedback)
- Auditory brain fitness training - that completely healed slight hearing loss I had.
- Yoga (3 hours a week in total)
- Vitamins
- Low carb diet, almost ate no sugar in last 6 months, no processed food.
- Running (ateast 50 KMs a week)
- Gave up coffee completely

At the beginning, I took 20mg Ritalin twice and now it feels way too much..I have done well in my symptoms (hyperactivity gone completely, good self control, no negative thoughts etc.) but I still struggle doing boring work.

Can someone actually cure their ADHD from a neurological/scientific point of view and are there any case studies on how people went about it?

I want to make sure that I am not just deluding myself and things are actually improving.

Thanks for help in advance.

spunkysmum
03-11-12, 10:41 PM
LOL.....I am just going to sit back and watch this thread bust out in a circus.

(No offense to you, OP. Just wait a bit and you'll see what I mean.)

standtall
03-11-12, 10:44 PM
LOL.....I am just going to sit back and watch this thread bust out in a circus.

(No offense to you, OP. Just wait a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Lolz .. you brought a smile on my face :)

I am very willing to listen to all the possible responses to this thread.

Lunacie
03-11-12, 11:09 PM
I do think some things can make ADHD symptoms worse (lack of sleep,
poor diet, stress, etc.) - and some things can make the symptoms less
impairing (sleep, exercise, good diet, etc.). But I don't think anything can
cure ADHD.

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you at this time, but I caution
you to understand that it can all go south very quickly, at any time, if any
of those things change in your life. The meds are usually what helps people
to do the things that help consistently. Without meds, the consistency is
very, very difficult to maintain.

Unmanagable
03-11-12, 11:14 PM
In my personal experience, having the right dose of meds (in my case, it's Adderall IR) keeps me at a functioning level to even think about doing regular meditation, practicing my breathing techniques, paying attention to my nutritional intake, increasing my water intake, doing more activity, etc.

Doing those things on a regular basis will of course make you (or anyone) feel better and healthier, but nothing will "cure" your adhd. Trying to "successfully manage" your adhd symptoms without meds works for some folks. Wishing you much success in continuing to find the balance that's best suited for you.

standtall
03-11-12, 11:39 PM
Thank you Unmanagable and Lunacie - I completely agree to the essence of what you said.

This also explains why I am needing lower doses with the time.

But what do you think is happening on a 'nueorological' level? My doctor thinks hyperfocus is a result of too much dopamine and hence lower doses are justified. Or is it all on a 'symptoms' level and my brain has not changed much in last few months?

Wish I knew a bit of nueroscience.

standtall
03-11-12, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=Unmanagable;1269313]In my personal experience, having the right dose of meds (in my case, it's Adderall IR) keeps me at a functioning level to even think about doing regular meditation, practicing my breathing techniques, paying attention to my nutritional intake, increasing my water intake, doing more activity, etc.
/QUOTE]

I agree with this part. If I stop medication, everything else fails.

spunkysmum
03-11-12, 11:43 PM
In my personal experience, having the right dose of meds (in my case, it's Adderall IR) keeps me at a functioning level to even think about doing regular meditation, practicing my breathing techniques, paying attention to my nutritional intake, increasing my water intake, doing more activity, etc.

Excellent, excellent point. I think that too often doesn't get mentioned. All that stuff is a LOT easier to get into the habit of - ONCE you're on meds.

ginniebean
03-11-12, 11:44 PM
Yes you are, keep at it!

Bobs69
04-05-12, 09:51 PM
Stand Tall I sent you a private message. I too got off of the drugs about 7 months ago. I look at myself in the mirror and sometimes say "who the hell are you"? I've been on and off my meds for years.

I came to this site to use it like a journal. I fear that I may have to go back on something to help me cope. Only because, honestly, my job. I think I need to be DUMMED DOWN enough to survive amoung assh****. I am scared that drugging the Bob will not be good. And hopfully he will still be around when I decide to let him out again.

I do think it's lifestyle and experience. We need to be able to control our environment and if we can't we have to learn not to care about it.

I honestly think the drugs are no good. Not for a lifestyle on them. What goes up must come down. I sear you are only borrowing against tomorrow. So lets be friends and see what we can figure out!

Also I went to donage blood (Canada) and when I told them what I was on they said they didn't want me. So at the time that told me something. My blood wasn't good enough to be given away! Apparently it was also for my well being. Had the levels of the drugs in my system gone to low I could be out of sorts. Sure sure.

Finding a healthy job where I can let the real Bob out will be a dream come true. Unfortunately to some extent we live in an industrial world and we gotta do what we gotta do to survive.

TheChemicals
04-05-12, 10:09 PM
If im not cured, noone is:mad:

Lunacie
04-06-12, 10:47 AM
Stand Tall I sent you a private message. I too got off of the drugs about 7 months ago. I look at myself in the mirror and sometimes say "who the hell are you"? I've been on and off my meds for years.

I came to this site to use it like a journal. I fear that I may have to go back on something to help me cope. Only because, honestly, my job. I think I need to be DUMMED DOWN enough to survive amoung assh****. I am scared that drugging the Bob will not be good. And hopfully he will still be around when I decide to let him out again.

I do think it's lifestyle and experience. We need to be able to control our environment and if we can't we have to learn not to care about it.

I honestly think the drugs are no good. Not for a lifestyle on them. What goes up must come down. I sear you are only borrowing against tomorrow. So lets be friends and see what we can figure out!

Also I went to donage blood (Canada) and when I told them what I was on they said they didn't want me. So at the time that told me something. My blood wasn't good enough to be given away! Apparently it was also for my well being. Had the levels of the drugs in my system gone to low I could be out of sorts. Sure sure.

Finding a healthy job where I can let the real Bob out will be a dream come true. Unfortunately to some extent we live in an industrial world and we gotta do what we gotta do to survive.

I can't donate blood either. In my case it's because I'm taking meds to treat my high blood pressure.

Without those meds I'm seriously risking a stroke or a heart attack.

"Drugs" has a negative connotation. I take "medication" as do both my grandchildren,
who inherited ADHD and Autism and Anxiety from me.

Treating the Anxiety lets the real Sherry out.

Treating the ADHD lets the real Katlin out and she's a delightful young woman.

We're still hoping that treating the Anxiety will let the real Nove Mber out,
we've seen glimpses of her and she's a much happier child.

The right medication at the right dosage does not hide the real person in any way,
but the wrong medication can do that. Maybe you need a different medication?

String
04-06-12, 04:54 PM
There are different ways to mitigate ADHD. Behavioral modifications, for some people, are preferred to medications. This is my second time going off medications (Ritalin) since my diagnosis and I've been doing pretty well for the last several months.

The medications taught me a lot about my ADHD. They helped me learn some new habits and helped me know what things can be like.

Without the medications, I sometimes feel super crazy and I sometimes know I would be better off with the medication. But most of the time I'm able to keep things under control. Most of the time I feel good about my decision to not take meds.

No, I'm not cured.

standtall
04-07-12, 12:25 AM

Hi Bob,

Sorry for late reply - I just saw your message as well.

I agree that medication is not a great long term strategy although I still take medication.

The key is to make a lot of other lifestyle changes and gradually reduce the medicine - I am now at 20mg Ritalin (10mg by 2) from 54mg Concerta a few weeks ago. I went down gradually after getting hyperfocus signs but I have put in a lot of effort around my overall well being in last 6-8 months.

I hope to get off medication sometime in future but 20mg is not too harsh on me.

If you look at my past posts, you will see mentions of a range of things I have done. I believe that ADHD exists on many levels and a comprehensive treat will heal it and just medication will only bring temporary results.

Wish you good luck :)