View Full Version : pseudoephedrine "booster"

cattail
03-15-12, 10:41 PM
This time of year when my allergies are really bad I have always taken a low dose of Pseudoephedrine for about 12 hours. My doctor has told me I can take it every day for allergies with no worries.

I realized after diagnosis, that, looking back I was always able to focus really well during those times. At the time it just made sense to me that pseudoephedrine would give me more energy because it is a stimulant and it was an appetite suppressant.

I just started taking it again, stupid pollen, along with Adderall XR, for the first time. I don't take them at the same time. I have noticed that I feel focused for longer again. I don't think of taking my afternoon Adderall IR booster either.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I take 1/2 the daily recommended dose and don't really notice feeling different in the moment. I just realized that I have been productive for longer the last few days without my usual afternoon slump. I am not having anxiety or faster heart rate either.

Has anyone else heard of this or done this?

holepunch
03-15-12, 11:00 PM
This time of year when my allergies are really bad I have always taken a low dose of Pseudoephedrine for about 12 hours. My doctor has told me I can take it every day for allergies with no worries.

I realized after diagnosis, that, looking back I was always able to focus really well during those times. At the time it just made sense to me that pseudoephedrine would give me more energy because it is a stimulant and it was an appetite suppressant.

I just started taking it again, stupid pollen, along with Adderall XR, for the first time. I don't take them at the same time. I have noticed that I feel focused for longer again. I don't think of taking my afternoon Adderall IR booster either.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I take 1/2 the daily recommended dose and don't really notice feeling different in the moment. I just realized that I have been productive for longer the last few days without my usual afternoon slump. I am not having anxiety or faster heart rate either.

Has anyone else heard of this or done this?

Pseudoephedrine (i.e. Sudafed) is a mild stimulant so... yes, it would work in a somewhat comparable manner to prescription stimulants.

Taking doses of Sudafed on top of your daily dose of Adderall would not be advisable, since it will increase your rate of tolerance to the medication and may increase side effects.

<b>THEORETICALLY</b>.... If you are lowering your daily dose of Adderall (i.e. by 10%), and replacing it with a low dose of Sudafed (i.e. 20mg), then that may be beneficial since you are replacing a higher-potency stimulant with a lower-potency one and still receiving symptom relief.

In either case, you should discuss this with your doctor and/or pharmacist. Taking them together may be dangerous for some people and may increase the risk of serious psychiatric events like psychosis and serotonin syndrome.

relax21
03-15-12, 11:08 PM
Pseudoephedrine and Adderall are both stimulants, so they may interact the same way that mixing caffeine and Adderall together would. As you stated, the interaction tends to make Adderall last longer, for a more prolonged stimulation to where a booster is no longer needed.

I don't know much about chemistry, but I know that psuedoephedrine is a precursor to methamphetamine (Desoxyn). So, it is similar to amphetamines, taking psuedoephedrine is just potentiating the effects of Adderall, I think.

Content ID
03-15-12, 11:14 PM
Never heard of this. Although it may be fine for you at the moment taking this, I myself would not advise to do so.. And for two reasons.. One as pointed out above you can raise your tolerance rapidly this is not a good thing for the long run. Two, this is a different stimulant than Adderall Mixing stimulants is never a smart idea and especially a Medication, the potential risk for your blood pressure suddenly spiking is very real and can pose in some cases life threatening problems..

If you feel as though your dosage of medication is not performing like it should talk to your doctor about maybe raising it or possible alternatives.. There is a reason they have a degree in medicine.

cattail
03-15-12, 11:33 PM
My PCP doctor knows I am taking both. I was just there yesterday. I go back to my Pdoc next month though, I will run it by her then. My school doesn't let PCP's prescribe stimulants so I have to got to a Psychiatrist for that. It is all the same clinic though so it is all in my chart and they all work in the same office.

On XR I really don't have any side affects. I have more of a problem with side affects with IR and I don't like to take it unless I really feel I need it.

I feel like things have just been smoother the last few days. I just started back on Sudafed on Tues because the whole world seemed to start pollenating in the last week. I am seriously miserable during allergy season without the sudafed, and that fake stuff does not do the same thing. I get fluid in my ear and need a decongestant to prevent it so not taking it would be a problem in itself.

The funny thing is that I CAN'T mix caffein and Adderall, or at least not coffee, because it sends me through the roof. However taking Sudafed is barely noticeable because it just makes me feel normal and smooth.

I really hope my Pdoc doesn't say no, plus I really do feel noticably more focused. Of course I was in such a brain fog for the last week due to allergies I may feel like it helps more than it really is.

I think I will keep track of things like heart rate for the next month so I can show her it isn't doing bad things to me.

oneup
03-15-12, 11:42 PM
Can you use a nasal spray like nasonex? It's rx only though.

One of the amphetamine racemers in adderall is also a decongestant, so thats it helps w/ runny nose as a side effect.

I self medicate with psuedoephedrine and caffeine sometimes when I don't have proper medication. But combining it with adderall, I never tried...

trishcan
03-16-12, 12:17 AM
I've had pharmacists tell me there's nothing wrong with combining stimulant medication with pseudoephedrine. I can't stand the stuff, though... just makes me jittery and ugh.

cattail
03-16-12, 12:48 AM
I wonder if our different reactions to sudafed says something about different responses to ADHD medications. Since pseudoephedrine makes me feel more focused and calm, not jittery, I wonder if ephedrine based medications would work for me.

I am happy with Adderall XR though. If I could afford it I would ask for a 2nd low afternoon dose instead of the IR.

I have 9 months until I (hopefully) have a job with better benefits. In the meantime my current insurance won't cover about half my yearly cost of XR and I am finishing my doctoral dissertation. I need consistent meds that I can afford in the meantime. If I could feel this same clear headed, non-buzzy focus for the next 9 months I would be really happy.

cattail
03-16-12, 12:51 AM
Caffeine does not help me focus at all. Just makes me feel horrible and jittery except in very small amounts just in the morning. Funny how we all respond differently to different stimulants. I am terrified of Red Bull or 5 hour energy. I have never drank any kind of energy drink because I am so sensitive to caffeine.

Yet sudafed dials me in and calms me down. Individual variation is weird and makes things very hard to predict!

sarahsweets
03-16-12, 06:24 AM
Sudafed is the only medication I can take that doesn't make me cracked out. I can't take benedryl or and med with the same ingrediant. I'll have to pay attention the next time I take both.

oneup
03-16-12, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking about trying primatene to compare as an experiment (psuedoephedrine vs ephedrine)...it has Guafenaisen in it too which is good for asthma.

cattail
03-20-12, 02:10 AM
I have had an inhaler for bronchitis and I don't like to use it unless I have to because it sends me through the roof! I have the physical symptoms of anxiety but not the mental. My mind isn't racing with thoughts but my heart is and I am shaky. yuck.

Sarah let me know what you notice. I feel like I have wrestled my brain back from the evil pollen devil. Allergy season is always a struggle with focus for me and I am so happy to not be struggling!

Fraser_0762
03-20-12, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't call Pseudoephedrine a mild stimulant. It can actually be pretty powerful when its miss used.

I remember mixing a large amount of sudafed with alcohol once, it sent me into a state of euphoria that I have only ever experienced once in my life. It was a feeling of calmness and complete acceptance.

photonamp
09-06-12, 01:32 PM
This might be of interest:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2202/9/99/abstract

Am going to experiment with 60mg added to my ritalin. I find that my ritalin doesn't last anymore than 90mins.

sarahsweets
09-06-12, 01:56 PM
This might be of interest:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2202/9/99/abstract

Am going to experiment with 60mg added to my ritalin. I find that my ritalin doesn't last anymore than 90mins.

The link you posted was quite limited. I read it and couldnt find anything useful to support this unless I some how missed it. If your ritalin or other meds dont last like they should you need to talk to your doctor and talk about doses. The idea of taking medicine reserved for colds and such, to me, seems a little reckless. Now, I am not trying to sound like an expert or even judgemental, I just feel like taking something that is meant for when you are ill isnt the best idea.

Polynieces
08-10-14, 11:36 AM
I'm out of Vyvanse. Will pseudophendrine help with adhd until i see dr, this week?