View Full Version : A Psychiatrist Lies. . .

Amtram
03-16-12, 12:11 PM
in an article called A psychiatrist tells the truth -- it's OK not to be 'normal' (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/15/psychiatrist-tells-truth-its-ok-not-to-be-normal/) Yes, folks, there's no such thing as ADD, it's all a vast conspiracy.

The American Psychiatric Association invented the term "ADHD" in 1980 to give kids with hyperactivity, impulsivity, short attention span and easy distractibility a diagnosis.

. . . . .

As we purposely shrink the box called normal and it gets smaller and smaller, the abnormal universe expands to include almost everyone. But we say, ďdonít worry, we can fix that with a pill and make you normal just like everyone else.Ē

My profession has not only redefined mental health by over-diagnosing and over-medicating an ever-expanding number of diagnoses, we are also taking away the hope of human nature by telling our patients that they are inherently "abnormal" and need to be fixed.

The psychiatristís office has gone from being the place no one would be caught dead visiting...to the place where a pill could fix anything. And psychiatry itself has gone from being stigmatized to glamorized.

Psychiatric conditions donít come with an on/off switch, but rather occur along a continuum. High levels of any given trait may represent a severe psychiatric diagnosis requiring medication, BUT in small to medium doses, these very same traits can represent your greatest strengths.

And, of course, the comments by ADD deniers who know that what we really need is regular beatings have started to accumulate.

Fuzzy12
03-16-12, 12:22 PM
Uggh :doh:

Typical Fox news. Biased, populist and plain wrong. :confused:

Danni926
03-16-12, 12:22 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting...I am not at all surprised to read that and all that it contains....I am glad that I am beyond giving a crap about things that are only subject to opinion as far as I am concerned...i do think there is over-diagnosis to an extent, and all u have to do is google adderall and u can find hundreds of threads of kids looking to sell & buy it and flat out talking about using it recreationally via means other then how us normal people take it, by swallowing it...however, i think kids of this generation (probably the last generation or 2 also) are lucky to not have legitimate mental barriers, ie depression/anxiety disorder/ADHD, swept under a rug and told they need to just pay attention, try harder, apply themselves and start living up to their potential...for the ones who are really afflicted and getting help and being properly medicated i think it's awesome and i only wish back in the 80s when i was in middle school/high school, i could have gotten help for depression and ADHD...sure, better late than never at 40, but it's more than a little saddening to think of where i might be today had some of us kids of the 70s and 80s had the therapy and pharmacology kids today do....

Fuzzy12
03-16-12, 01:14 PM
I like your comments, Amtram. Thanks for trying to dispel some of the myths.

TheChemicals
03-16-12, 03:46 PM
interesting points though.

Hathor
03-16-12, 04:53 PM
Is there a pattern with these guys or am I paranoid?

They write as if they want to help people with symptoms, usually by suggesting we will all start our own airlines if they would just stop giving us speed.

But all they accomplish amounts to the feeding of grumpy pills to ignorant trolls.

Guess if they haven't figured this out by now there is not point in hoping for it to stop

Gilthranon
03-16-12, 05:00 PM
Narcissist perhaps ? I couldn't care less about it. Putting my energy on something worth wasting it on.

Amtram
03-16-12, 05:38 PM
Like posting that you don't care on the ADD Forums, perhaps? Heh. I have certain things selected on my Google news because I want to see what's new and interesting. ADHD, however, often turns up stuff that irritates me instead. We've had many stories like these flooded by ADDF members trying to counter the falsehoods. I've seen extremely rare incidences of vocal deniers changing their minds because of it, but you know that there are people who are on the fence just reading. If even a few of them learn something, it's worth the effort.

anonymouslyadd
03-16-12, 05:55 PM
Terrible.:mad:

sarahsweets
03-16-12, 06:27 PM
People with adhd rule...all the others can go f**k themselves.

mctavish23
03-16-12, 08:52 PM
I'm not going to read the article, but I wonder how it feels to be so "special"

that you alone have the courage to challenge your own professional association ?

I don't know where the "psychiatrist" in question is from, but if it's in the USA, then

a deluge of ethical/competency complaints to that state's Medical Board would

invite a review of the license to practice in that state.

tc

LynneC
03-17-12, 06:09 AM
Ahhh, Fox News at its finest. :rolleyes:
Amtram, I went through and thanked your comments. (probably not all...I didn't make it through all the enlightened comments from the Fox News junkies)

tired1823
03-17-12, 10:43 AM
I love Huck Finn.

tired1823
03-17-12, 10:44 AM
the world would have been robbed if huck finn had to go on adderall.

tired1823
03-17-12, 10:47 AM
This is what I'm talking about... The Mental Health world and the Pharmaceutical Industry suck. They are just ruining people.

Let me quickly point out that I’m not opposed to medication to treat those with severe symptoms, but does 1 out of every 12 kids really have ADHD?
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/15/psychiatrist-tells-truth-its-ok-not-to-be-normal/#ixzz1pNxiNKta

purpleToes
03-17-12, 01:27 PM
Bravo to Amtram's comments on the article! Liked!