View Full Version : Cat therapy

cyonce
03-19-12, 03:35 PM
My cats and their predecessors have been a life-saver, possibly literally at times so I was doing searches related to cats and adhd or autism/AS and I found this.

http://cats.about.com/od/youandyourcat/a/catsandautism.htm
Cat Therapy for Autistic Children
A True Story of the Miracle a Cat Brought to an Autistic Boy
I don't know if anyone else will relate to it or find it touching but I did.

Below are my two guys Pancho and Lefty, one is of Pancho sitting in my lap as I'm typing this, the other is Lefty giving me the 'aren't you supposed to get out of bed and feed me now' look I get just about every morning

spunkysmum
03-19-12, 04:43 PM
Neat article.....I still can't believe there are people who think cats have no personality - they are personality incarnate! I love them and yes, a lot of them love me too, contrary to the silly belief that cats don't love anybody but themselves.

Fraser_0762
03-19-12, 04:46 PM
I have a cat and shes full of personality.

Cat's do the funniest things.

You can't have a good sense of humour without a personality! :p

silivrentoliel
03-19-12, 05:17 PM
That's a really cool article. Animals are awesome at therapy- some more than others. One of my dogs can sense when I am getting anxious... she won't leave my side. Her brother either picks up her cue, or just can tell I'm getting worse and also won't leave me alone. They are both very calming, even if they are trying to sit on my lap ^_^ sadly, my cats are just tubby lumps who like to trip me.

Lunacie
03-19-12, 05:28 PM
We've always had cats and dogs both since my granddaughter was born,
and she didn't speak until she was 4 years old as well. I don't remember
any miracle breakthrough for her, but I know it can happen with some.

It may be possible that having critters around her whole life (she's 10
now) has helped her to be higher functioning than she might have been.
There's no way to know for sure.

She and her big sister each got a guinea pig for Christmas gifts this year,
and keeping them is very much conditional on both girls being responsibile
for feeding them and cleaning the cage.

We just finished reading to wonderful books by Kay Hoopmann. One is "All
Dogs Have ADHD" and the other is "All Cats Have Asperger's."

silivrentoliel
03-19-12, 09:12 PM
I have to admit, my pets really do keep me focused. I know they drive DH crazy sometimes, but they help keep me on track.

fracturedstory
03-20-12, 02:32 AM
Great article. Though I love my little Lyra (cat) I'm more of a dog person. Dogs really help with the hyperactive symptoms. Although, my cat also likes to knock everything on the ground and bat it, then run around like crazy.

When I walk my dog though I have less sensory issues and if I start to feel anxious I just look at him and it's gone.
I love roughing around with dogs. Then again my cat plays rough too. I've got many friendly scratches from her.