View Full Version : Nervous about upcoming appointment...

full_throttle
03-19-12, 07:00 PM
This coming Monday, I have an appointment with one of only two psychologists in my prefecture who have some specialization in ADD/ADHD. The other doctor will only treat minors.

I'm nervous for a couple of reasons;
① I will probably need to be rediagnosed for ADD. If he can't help me, I'm really up the creek with my treatment. I have been trying to treat myself, but it's tiring and bares little fruit. I think I will end up quiting my current job if nothing comes out of this.

② I have recently become much more self-aware of my symptoms, how they effect me and some other problems that make me question if ADD is all I have.

③ Medicine- I have heard that ADD meds are available, but are not covered under insurance for people over 20. I also worry that meds won't be an option for me (only 2 people in the prefecture can prescribe Concerta). I read someone in Tokyo was paying $400 US a month out of pocket for meds... If it's true, I would need a part time job just for treatment.:D

I guess some questions will be answered in a week. I am hopeful about this appointment, but I have learned to not to hope for too much. Anything would be better than the support I have now.
Wish me luck!

buddy
03-19-12, 07:34 PM
full throttle I am sending positive healing vibes your way.I hope you get the proper treatment that you deserve.

(((HUGS)))

Fuzzy12
03-19-12, 08:07 PM
Hope it all goes well. *Fingers crossed*!!!

:grouphug:

full_throttle
03-25-12, 10:14 AM
Thank you Buddy and Fuzzy. My appointment is tomorrow so I'm being sure to list all of my symptoms and how they effect me. Hopefully something will come of this. (^ V ^)

sarahsweets
03-25-12, 10:48 AM
Haven't forgot about your pm full throttle ..will get to you soon :)

Fuzzy12
03-25-12, 11:23 AM
Fingers still crossed. :)

Fraser_0762
03-25-12, 03:22 PM
I hear Japans a pretty tough place to be with ADHD. Although i'd say its probably one of the most hyperactive countries on the planet!

full_throttle
03-25-12, 06:50 PM
Thanks, all. I will post a follow-up after my appointment. Just have to make it through a half day of work first.. (- _ -)v

full_throttle
03-26-12, 10:11 AM
I finished with my appointment this afternoon and it was a bit of a mixed bag.

I was re-diagnosed with ADD, which is the first time I've been officially diagnosed in Japan.

The doctor listened to me explain my symptoms and offered me a couple of suggestions, but nothing really new. He stated that my job with ADD must be difficult and went on to say many younger people takes meds and it makes things much easier for them, but... meds still aren't legal for people over 20 in Japan. He said things may change in the near future, but nothing is definite. He also said that 2% of adults in Japan are diagnosed with ADD.

Besides my official Japanese diagnosis, I was given a number which I can call if I want to discuss anything (problem areas, etc.) and it's free. But I really wouldn't know when to call. This call system is in lieu of visits to the doctor's office.

I'm really thinking about changing jobs now. At the pace I'm going, I don't know how long I can last before being canned. I don't really want to spend 12-14 hrs. at work everyday just to try to keep up and I don't want to stress my self out to the point where I have a breakdown.

I guess I'll have to sit down during the week and take it all in.

Thanks for the support everyone.

full_throttle
03-26-12, 10:14 AM
I forgot to add that my wife went with me and when the doctor ask if there were any problems at home, she said " He isn't good at making plans at all, but that's my forte, so it works out pretty well." My wife is quite honest, so I was happy to hear that at least there aren't really any problems at home. (^ V ^)b