View Full Version : ...about Diet, ADHD, Herbs and Adderall Holidays

chekingurl76
03-20-12, 09:10 AM
It is not fun to take a "drug holiday" from a stimulant medication...ever...especially if you have been on it for a long time.

The first time I took a drug holiday, I could do nothing but sleep the first 3 weeks. My adhd came back in a rage...worse.

Well, I'm on another drug holiday and I have figured out what works for me and thought I would share, for those who know how hellacious stimulant withdrawl can be....

I take B vitamins, Milk Thistle, Folic Acid, a low dose Magnesium, Fish Oil and I eat at least 1 hard boiled egg (contains tyrosine) 3 to 4 times a week...

The first three days of Adderall Abstinence were filled with irritability and hypersomnia...after those 3 days, the irritability vanished and I was left with hypersomnia for 4 more days, the next week no irritability and less hypersomnia, of course my adhd symptoms became even more noticeable at this time, work became stressful again, but I kept taking my vitamins and eating my egg and getting some exercise...this week has been absolutely amazing. Although I am dealing with my ADHD symptoms again, I am NOT irritable, NOT wanting to sleep all the time, and NOT depressed. In fact, I feel REALLY good. I didn't add on extra pounds, either. :yes:

So if you have to take a drug holiday....make sure you are prepared to give your body the nutrients and exercise it needs to get through the detox.

This is just MY experience. Everyone is different. I'm not a doctor (I am a Nurse, tho ;) so please always consult your MD before you try anything.

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiosity... why are you taking drug holidays? Does it help w/ it working long term? I've always been curious why people do it... if it's working, why quit?

chekingurl76
03-20-12, 02:53 PM
...It helps with working in the long term. I want to keep dosage low. I don't like what Adderall does to my body over a long period of time, which is why I take a break. It's my preference to do it...

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 04:22 PM
cool. I don't take adderall, and haven't been back on meds that long, but had heard others talk about it and wasn't sure the reasons. Thanks :)

Fraser_0762
03-20-12, 04:30 PM
cool. I don't take adderall, and haven't been back on meds that long, but had heard others talk about it and wasn't sure the reasons. Thanks :)

Yep. Some people build up a quicker tolerance than others, so by remaining stimulant free for a while, it allows their brain chemistry to restore back to normal (or normal for them anyway). Then when they go back on it, it becomes more effective again.

Some people argue though that the tolerance build up is related to the euphoric feeling you can experience from taking them and not the intended effects it has for treating ADD.

I suppose everybody will get mixed results.

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 05:10 PM
Yep. Some people build up a quicker tolerance than others, so by remaining stimulant free for a while, it allows their brain chemistry to restore back to normal (or normal for them anyway). Then when they go back on it, it becomes more effective again.

Some people argue though that the tolerance build up is related to the euphoric feeling you can experience from taking them and not the intended effects it has for treating ADD.

I suppose everybody will get mixed results.

oh wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for explaining :)