View Full Version : daytrana

hollywood
03-20-12, 03:31 PM
I don't hear alot about this medication. The little that I have heard is that it really works well and works longer and is much more potent due to its ability to absorb more of the medication. I'd like to hear more feedback. Could be for two reasons. First would be that not many like it. The other would be that it works so well nobody is on this site .

peripatetic
03-20-12, 04:49 PM
it's largely prescribed for children--which is super handy because then you don't have to go to the school nurse midday... i have, however, had a psychiatrist who was up for putting me on it as an adult (simply to reduce how often i have to take pills throughout the day as standard ER methylphenidate options are just not effective for me), but there's no ******* way i'm applying a patch as adhesive things of that nautre just gross me out. which sucks.

namazu
03-20-12, 07:40 PM
I don't have first-hand experience with it. However, my psychologist tells me that at least one of her co-workers (with ADHD) at the ADHD clinic that I go to uses Daytrana and loves it. I considered trying it and my doctor would have prescribed it for me.

The *idea* of a patch rather than pills appeals to me for the duration of action, supposed evenness, and because I have a terrible memory and don't always remember pills even with a variety of reminders/alarms (par for the course!).

On the other hand, I tend to get allergic to things and have itchy skin reactions, and I also have a tic/OCD-like comorbid condition that I think might be exacerbated by the feeling of having something stuck to my skin in ways that would be super-distracting and uncomfortable and therefore counterproductive.

In addition, Daytrana has had multiple recalls over the past several years for adhesive-related issues -- so until/unless the kinks in the product get ironed out, and until I think I could tolerate the feeling, I think I'll probably end up staying away.

hollywood
03-20-12, 10:09 PM
The er meds really don't work well for me either? WTF?

peripatetic
03-20-12, 11:44 PM
i hear that,n...for me the idea of once a day is awfully appealing...the idea of adhesive stuck to me equally unappealing...

The *idea* of a patch rather than pills appeals to me for the duration of action, supposed evenness, and because I have a terrible memory and don't always remember pills even with a variety of reminders/alarms (par for the course!).

yes, exactly! i've tried (with varying degrees of disaster) a number of things to reduce the number of doses per day and daytrana is one of the few i haven't...

On the other hand, I tend to get allergic to things and have itchy skin reactions, and I also have a tic/OCD-like comorbid condition that I think might be exacerbated by the feeling of having something stuck to my skin in ways that would be super-distracting and uncomfortable and therefore counterproductive.

and that's primarily why...ican't stand stickers and crap...and the second it got "dirty"...it'd be off and the site of application vigorously scrubbed...a few times.

karbouris
03-21-12, 11:30 AM
I don't hear alot about this medication. The little that I have heard is that it really works well and works longer and is much more potent due to its ability to absorb more of the medication. I'd like to hear more feedback. Could be for two reasons. First would be that not many like it. The other would be that it works so well nobody is on this site .

I was on it. (Couldn't afford the copayment.) It works great. The come downs are harder tho (For me anyway).

maroon15
04-10-12, 01:00 PM
My son has been using the patch for 2.5 years. He started at 10 mg and is now using the 20 mg patch which is larger. No side effects other than a red spot on his skin for an hour or so when he removes the patch. It has been "the" wonder drug for him. He actually gained weight initially because it reduced his anxiety so much. He puts it on and takes it off...depending on what he has on his schedule. So he feels like he has control which is great for an almost 13 year old boy :-). He was on Strattera for a number of years but it really wasn't helping much anymore and he would get stomach aches and get sooo sleepy. It is worth a try!

ThatGinger
04-10-12, 05:59 PM
I've tried daytrana before ( 30mg patch if im not mistaken) and it worked quite well, but I found removing the patch to hurt like heck and to leave a large red mark on my thigh. I really enjoyed that i could easily and quickly end a dosage when i wanted, as control is pretty important to me.

After about 2 or 3 weeks however, I had nice red patches on both thighs which were sensitive and didn't appreciate the application of another patch on them, so i started looking for something else (2 years ago). Still on the hunt for the perfect drug! :D