View Full Version : benzodiazepines

DanaDane
03-21-12, 04:50 AM
Here in Denmark, the use of benzodiazepines in treating anxiety-conditions, is not well accepted, and often doctora and psykiatrist will not perscribe this type of medicin to patients. I have had a VERY bad time with my GAD for the last 4-6 weeks. While I was waiting for Venlafaxin to work, which can takes 4-8 weeks, I was in severe mental anguish from my anxiety - non stop panic! I also got Lyrica, but this did'nt help right away either. So I called my psykiatrist and asked for a solution until the meds would help. But I cut'nt get anything - nothing. This is quite normal. benzodiazepines are just not an accepted treatment anymore!

But when I read the threads in here, it seems that the use of benzodiazepines is quite normal and accepted in the US?

YOUCANCALLMEAL
03-21-12, 07:08 PM
But when I read the threads in here, it seems that the use of benzodiazepines is quite normal and accepted in the US?

Sadly, that is true for just about any medication. Pharmaceutical companies are big business and we are a Pill Popping country that is over prescrivbed.

Yes, it is very easy to get pain medications, ADD meds, and Benzos. We just tell our doctor we have severe anxiety and they write us something.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried a sleep aid like Ambien?

known_guy
03-22-12, 12:26 AM
From what I recall, was your Lyrica dose on the low end? Did you try upping the dose to 150mg three times a day or 300mg twice a day? Or did side-effects get in the way. :(

DanaDane
03-22-12, 03:25 AM
My pdoc gave me VERY little instructions regarding finding the right dose of Lyrica. So I read the test results from the Lyrica tests and forund that the best result in the test was on a fixed dose of 450 or 600. My pdoc told me to take it "as needed". But I don't belive this works - I belive I have to have a fixes dose. So now I'm working my way up from less than 300 to 450 (perhaps more if this is not enough). And by now I feel that my 350 dose is helping me. So I'm felleing better - Thanks God!

known_guy
03-22-12, 08:55 PM
Glad to hear it!

I also tried taking Lyrica "as needed" but found that taking it on a regular basis helps my anxiety. In the past I'd go a couple/few days feeling pretty OK, then think "I can skip a dose," only to realize less than a day later, my anxiety snuck up behind me! I'd then go back to my normal dosing schedule, and find my anxiety manageable again...

For me at least, the hope is that I/one will be able to taper the dose slowly over time once I/one has a firm grip on my/one's anxiety. Or something, I don't know.

DanaDane
03-23-12, 03:21 AM
For me at least, the hope is that I/one will be able to taper the dose slowly over time once I/one has a firm grip on my/one's anxiety. Or something, I don't know.

Me too. I don't plan to use this the rest of my life!
On monday I'm starting treatment by a psychologist who works with cognitive therapy and Acceptance and commitment therapy. Hope this will give me some good tools to manage my GAD.

eeilyk
03-23-12, 04:55 AM
Benzos are far too addictive, ive never been prescribed them but I've bought them before and I can't help but take them until they're gone.

The worst.

blondeeeexox16
04-07-12, 06:46 PM
what pharmacy can i get good generic 1 mg xanax i HATE mylan!

Raye
04-07-12, 11:44 PM
what pharmacy can i get good generic 1 mg xanax i HATE mylan!

Please don't take Xanax- it's HIGHLY well known to be addictive. I've been to detox once for addiction to Xanax , had severe withdrawal symptoms when I ran out, such as tremors, severe headache, involuntarily muscle spasms, vomiting, manic, insomnia ( I stayed awake for 72 hrs straight!) I bumped into walls, fell down in the bathroom, ( couldn't keep my balance) I couldn't leave my house, I couldn't drive. If you think that's bad- it can even cause seizures, coma and death. I came very close........and I've now relapsed. Unfortunately undiagnosed ADD can make you more apt to substance abuse. I'm prescribed a lower dose of benzo now to taper off. ... please search out the addiction and withdrawal symptoms before you take this med. If it were up to me, Benzos would not exist.

sarahsweets
04-08-12, 06:49 AM
Sadly, that is true for just about any medication. Pharmaceutical companies are big business and we are a Pill Popping country that is over prescrivbed.

Yes, it is very easy to get pain medications, ADD meds, and Benzos. We just tell our doctor we have severe anxiety and they write us something.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried a sleep aid like Ambien?

I wanna live where you live then because around here its pretty tough.

Flory
04-08-12, 06:53 AM
too true sarah...7/8 pharmacies later i still havent got my prescribed medicines because the pharmacists are being a-holes about it... !

SnareDrumzZz
04-08-12, 10:17 AM
Please don't take Xanax- it's HIGHLY well known to be addictive. I've been to detox once for addiction to Xanax , had severe withdrawal symptoms when I ran out, such as tremors, severe headache, involuntarily muscle spasms, vomiting, manic, insomnia ( I stayed awake for 72 hrs straight!) I bumped into walls, fell down in the bathroom, ( couldn't keep my balance) I couldn't leave my house, I couldn't drive. If you think that's bad- it can even cause seizures, coma and death. I came very close........and I've now relapsed. Unfortunately undiagnosed ADD can make you more apt to substance abuse. I'm prescribed a lower dose of benzo now to taper off. ... please search out the addiction and withdrawal symptoms before you take this med. If it were up to me, Benzos would not exist.Cite a source for that sister. Xanax is NOT A BAD DRUG. Every benzodiazepine is EQUAL in terms if addiction. Diazepam,Clonazepam,Lorazepam, ect ect are no different in terms of addiction. Lyrica is addicting. Every medication is addicting. This doesn't mean its a Bad drug though. So stop it with that please.

Maverick420
04-10-12, 08:22 PM
Here in Germany it pretty much depends on the Psychiatrist you are dealing with. My own family doctor refused to give me a simple Diazepam prescription while my own Psychiatrist has a very pragmatic point of view to this matter. He prescribes me what I need, even when the drugs or the combination are unusual.

I had about 10 different Benzodiazepines to try them out. When I was in really bad state with extreme sleeping problems he didn't hesitated and gave me a narcotic prescription for Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol).

If I need Benzos, I mainly use Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Diazepam and the Hypnotic Zolpidem. You can cover a wide range of the symptoms and problems with this few drugs.

It is sad that necessary and good working drugs is rejected by Doctors. You always have to worry that they thing of you being an addict. In the last years there has been very bad propaganda against Benzodiazepines, mainly focusing on the addictive potential but blacking out how many people did benefit in the past and still benefit.

Benzos helped to overcome severe states or Anxiety, Panic and Tension. I was so lucky to have a working and reliable medication.

Benzos should prescribed with caution and a clear indication but one prescription doesn't create a addict. Some Doctors are really more controlled by their emotions then rational thoughts.

Chicchick
07-03-12, 08:52 PM
where I am isn't too easy. (northern US)

Being a young adult I think doctors are more likely to assume that young people are drug seekers. I am diagnosed with panic disorder, and have been on Xanax to manage it, it has gone very well. My doc insists that I see a pdoc so I can be evaluated more properly, but I am having a hard time finding a doctor at all that will prescribe ANY benzo, even if I provide proof of legit prescriptions in the past. It is very agitating because they all push SSRIs on me and I have tried many of them and they have worsened my depression to dangerous lows before. Adderall helps my anxiety (paradoxical, I suppose) but when it wears off Im prone to panic attacks in the middle of the night, and I want to limit my use of Adderall as much as possible for tolerance and dependence fears. Having always been responsible with medications and no past of substance abuse, it's extremely annoying. The panic can ruin my life if it gets out of control.

artymom
07-07-12, 01:56 AM
my pdoc gives me ten 1mg Clonazepam per month to help with my sleeping problems and in case I have a panic attack. My last doctor? Would give me 90 a month if I asked. But, my new pdoc is really careful and working so hard on trying to get my meds to a workable minimum. I do think there is a place for benzos when treating anxiety. I went through a period of having some fairly frightening phobias a bit over a year ago and the Clonazepam was a sanity saver.

known_guy
07-17-12, 10:37 PM
Oh boy. Xanax is a dangerous drug. When I was an inpatient in a psych ward last year, when it was noticed that 1.5mg of Ativan 3x a day wasn't effective enough, the doctor switched me to Xanax. It's scary how addictive it can be. I wasn't aware of how strong of a dependency it can create - I was lucky to have a doctor who didn't keep me on it indefinitely. If he had prescribed it for daily use, I would have been 100% hooked.

FocusPocus10
08-10-12, 02:13 AM
The hilarious fact here is that lyrica is a stronger drug than any benzo I can think of. Don't believe me? People on erowid say lyrica in high doses is like cocaine and mdma combined or something. Perception really is everything, even to doctors apparently. But a benzo is the end of the world huh? Man up and try it.

Chace90
08-10-12, 07:39 AM
Wow, I am kinda surprised with all the people saying that benzodiazapines are so addicting. I have never felt that I needed to take Klonopin unless I was anxious. And anxiety is what I am taking it for. I was physically dependent on it at one point because I was prescribed to take it twice daily. I decided to stop taking it every day, so my doctor told me to take it once a day for two weeks. So I did that then took one every couple of days for a week or two after that without any trouble. To make this simple if you don't abuse benzos and listen to your doctor you really shouldn't have any trouble. Also when I said abuse, I meant taking them to get high. But as some have mentioned xanax and the shorter acting benzos can have a rebound effect and really should only be used in certain cases in my opinion. As far as taking benzos for sleep goes, I really don't think it is by any means a good option. When I took klonopin I didn't seem to want to sleep. I mean sometimes I could take it to go to sleep but tolerance to the hypnotic effect would probably occur and as I mentioned it kinda caused insomnia in some cases. I would just end up watching TV too late and that sort of thing.

Nagash
08-14-12, 09:32 PM
Just to provide an alternative perspective: I have been taking first clonazepam (for only a few months - it was ineffective), then alprazolam (for over two years and counting). I have never had a problem with them: I've not been physically or mentally addicted, and thus nor have I suffered withdrawal symptoms. This has been due to careful use and timing of doses, though, as follows. I use alprazolam once a day, maximum (already a risky proposition with any benzo having a longer half-life than alprazolam) - and make sure to take a three-day break every three weeks.

Despite all these cautions, benzodiazepines, and alprazolam in particular, have been a Godsend for me; and I would not dissuade anyone from seeking benzodiazepine treatment if other types haven't worked... and if it is understood that physical benzodiazepine dependency is worse than any anxiety or panic one may have.

On Dependence

It must be noted, as it has been before in this thread, that benzodiazepine withdrawal is extremely dangerous: as with alcohol, it is one of the only types of withdrawal that can kill you outright. Benzos should only be used as needed, or only for a short period of time (three weeks or less, IIRC). It's not dose that is the problem, but dosage: if you take a benzo continually, you will become physically dependent as your body becomes used to the constant presence of the chemical.

To be more specific, it's your brain that is the problem. Benzo administration causes GABA receptor downregulation; in compensation, glutamate receptors are upregulated. I am not clear on the exact mechanism beyond that, but I believe these are the factors that result in tolerance and dependence. As long as your brain has regained its normal ratio, after the benzo is no longer active, another dose should not increase tolerance or cause dependence. Dependence results when your brain no longer needs to regain normal levels, as conditions (due to the constant presence of the substance) never warrant it.

This doesn't mean that as soon as you stop feeling it, it's okay to take more, though. I have personally tried make sure my doses are far enough apart that moderate withdrawal* would have likely began, were I addicted. If there are no withdrawal symptoms, that means that multiple dosing within that time period would be required in order to develop dependence, and dosing outside it is probably safe. For example, suppose with Medicine X withdrawal symptoms get moderately* bad at about 12 hours since the last dose, for dependent individuals; if at 12-14 hours after my last dose of Medicine X I am free from such symptoms, I know I am not developing dependence. Thus, it's okay to take Medication X at intervals of about 14 hours.

Probably. This is not guaranteed to be correct. Don't take this as advice of any sort.

[i]*I use "moderate withdrawal" instead of merely "first signs" just to make sure I don't jump the gun.