View Full Version : experiences with clonidine doses and sleep

kinglizard
03-21-12, 08:04 PM
Hi, I'm currently taking 0.2mg of clonidine for sleep. I'm finding it helps with sleep-onset but that my sleep is really restless and dream-ridden.

Is it possible that raising the dose might help?

known_guy
03-22-12, 12:30 AM
I've heard about people having problems with early awakenings when taking Clonidine.
Based off my own personal experience only, I'd say that increasing your dose probably has a good chance of exacerbating the side-effects you're experiencing now.

hollywood
03-22-12, 09:24 AM
is this the same with guanfacine? I've kind of had this experience in the past too , I'm not sure what to think about it because I'm considering starting intuniv today or tomorrow with my stimulants. Its supposed to help sleep but I know that since it modulates the NE and actually stimulants part of area in the pre frontal cortex and strengthens that one area alot of people get sleep disturbance. I'm guessing its transient. How do you like clonidine thus far. My experience with guanfacine er is that it really enhances working memory and target focus thus elimination alot of distraction. Alot more focused with stimulants .

dannn
03-22-12, 09:37 AM
I also had problems with sleep on clonidine. As previously said, higher dose = more side effects.

hollywood
03-22-12, 09:39 AM
It sure does help stimulants work much better doesnt it though? I wonder if guanfacine has less of a effect like this and if it does have this effect I am wondering and I would guess that it would be temporary ? I do know although at times sedating when starting that intuniv or the long release of guanfacine drastically improves working memory and basically eliminates all this anxiety that dummies are taking ssri's for.

known_guy
03-22-12, 08:48 PM
Not all studies agree, but there has been one largely known study that showed Guanfacine may help improve working memory. I could really use some of that right now.
Clonidine does not help improve working memory. I think the sedation from it actually lowered performance in healthy subjects. If anything, Clonidine might be ever-so-slightly impairing. :(

hollywood
03-22-12, 11:07 PM
Yeah I am going to try guanfacine. What do you think of taking tenex ? Vs intuniv? Night dosed tenex ?

m.pilar
05-15-12, 01:12 AM
That's funny, Hollywood, it seems like I'm following you around.

I've always had a pretty bad memory but my recent attempt at bupropion reminded me how bad; I think I'm going to try an a2 agonist too.

King Liz, what ended up happening with clonidine for you? It has been used in the treatment of insomnia but so has diphenhydramine and that ruins my sleep entirely..

hollywood
05-22-12, 11:36 AM
adhd is rough when you are really really bored and have been battling an issue of constant boredom for too long. Before long you don't know what is exactly going on honestly. I'm taking wellbutrin 150xl right now. I guess it's helping me get too distracted and it's pretty much the only antidepressant that is proven useful in adhd. Aside from that I am taking 4 beads of cymbalta lol... I don't really know what direction I'm going in lately( its weird) I don't know if I will continue or stop wellbutrin. I just want to be me again. I think intuniv works but its really obvious that your on something and it made me feel really icky. So, not doing it again.

G252013
06-06-12, 10:14 AM
You the bead counter brother!!!

kiosk
06-07-12, 01:43 PM
Hi, I'm currently taking 0.2mg of clonidine for sleep. I'm finding it helps with sleep-onset but that my sleep is really restless and dream-ridden.

Is it possible that raising the dose might help?

0.2 knocks me out hard for the night.....and even makes me sluggish well into the morning....

mollypaton
06-22-12, 02:51 PM
It well help you alot.