View Full Version : auditory and touch

varied_in_style
03-24-12, 12:32 AM
I've been thinking, and I was wondering if anyone else ever noticed this. I tend to be pretty sensitive in terms of my sense of hearing. I can't stand sudden noises, or especially loud noises. I freak out when my parents knock on my door, and when someone sneaks up and makes a noise to scare me. For an odd example, I was sitting next to my dad earlier, when he was eating something and I had to walk away because the noise of his chewing was driving me crazy. I also find I hate to hear people breathing, and I'm always trying to make sure my own breathing is quiet and inaudible... Why the heck is this?!

On another note, I find my skin is overly sensitive at times. I hate being touched, but sometimes my skin just feels weird... I'm not sure how to explain it, but it only agitates my already pretty high dislike of being touched. I almost feel pins and needles, and it almost feels like it should -hurt- when someone touches me at times like that. I notice it almost seems to be linked to my emotions, like when I'm upset but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone else feel that?

GetKnockedDown
04-14-12, 05:33 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm fine with the loud music at concerts though and I blast my earphones when listening to music.

But when someone is constantly coughing, sneezing, chewing (especially with their mouth open good god) I can't take it. It's so distracting!
My mum keeps telling me to block out the sounds but that doesn't work for me.

My skin has always been sensitive like yours, I react really badly when someone tries to scare me.. Also, I hate, hate, hate when people touch my face.

Flory
04-14-12, 05:58 AM
uhhh yeah i can't stand the sound of forks on plates or people brushing their teeth..or just brushes on surfaces in general

Raye
04-17-12, 09:29 AM
To the OP-

I can relate to you in the whole sensitive hearing issue. When I worked in a school kitchen, someone dropped a metal pan on the floor, the noise freaked me out so bad I yelled ' What the F***? ARE YOU STUPID??'
Can't stand loud music in the car, have to have headphones on low when listening to music. Phones ringing, When my cellphone was turned on, it was always on vibrate. People eating food, loud coughing, Dogs barking, TV too loud, whenever there's any kind of loud noise it frightens me for a minute.

I don't have a touch issue, but however sunlight hurts my eyes. Lights inside the house don't bother me ( weird huh) but when in the sun for me it's like the sunlight is 5x brighter than the normal person, so I always have to wear sunglasses if it's sunny out.

Lunacie
04-17-12, 02:41 PM
Yes, I've always been over-sensitive, mostly to sounds and lights, but also to touch/feeling,
and even more sensitive to smells as I've gotten older. I tend to eat the same things, so
I guess I'm also sensitive to tastes.

It's not in the DSM-IV, but it's generally known as Sensory Processing Disorder.
Do a google for that term and you'll find out you're far from alone.
There are several threads on the topic here in this forum.

plank80
04-17-12, 02:57 PM
Yes I get that weird skin sensation as well it feels like the air is prickly or something. You described it well there. I have a problem with noise as well. Think its SPD.