View Full Version : My new insurance won't cover medication. How else can I handle ADHD?

charlatan
03-24-12, 06:45 PM
I've been taking 15mg Adderall XR about 5 times a week for the past year. I have three left before I run out and I cannot afford to buy more.

What do I do to treat my ADHD without medication? My plan so far is to begin a semi-paleo diet (high protein, extremely low amounts of processed foods), exercise 3+ times a week in the morning, and read a book for 30+ minutes a day. I am hoping a combination of these will help me train my mind to be less hyperactive and become more attentive.

I also plan on attempting to learn meditation, but I am not sure if that is going to work out.

Are there any other activities that can be done to treat this?
How about supplements? I take a multivitamin and fish oil every morning.

sammyscion
03-24-12, 07:35 PM
Check out website Needy Meds
That site lists medications that might be covered under scholarships through the pharmaceutical companies. This is to provide low cost or no cost medications for people without insurance and maybe in your case insurance that doesn't cover medications.
A number of factors are considered but if one qualifies, the medication costs are provided in a variety of ways: direct delivery to the individual or their medical provider (who writes the script), pharmacy debit or discount cards, etc.
These scholarships often cover a specific period of time (often 3 or 6 and sometimes 12 months) and need to be renewed at the end of the coverage period.
Hope this is a good lead for you.
sammy

sarahsweets
03-24-12, 07:46 PM
A good diet and excersise is wonderful but doesn't treat adhd.

Fraser_0762
03-24-12, 07:55 PM
You can try caffeine suppliments. I've been using a suppliment so far with pretty surprising results. Obviously it won't be on par with Adderall, but its better than nothing.

spunkysmum
03-24-12, 08:03 PM
I started a thread last week asking folks for ideas on how to raise money to buy meds. I haven't looked at it for a while. Maybe some have posted new ideas since the last time I was there.

ionosphere
04-06-12, 03:49 AM
Fraser, what kind of caffeine supplements are you taking and where to get them?

ana futura
04-07-12, 07:15 PM
Meditation is amazingly effective in my experience, for me it makes me feel similar to being medicated. Things like long distance cycling, yoga, tai chi, and martial arts (moving meditation) are helpful too, but not as much as sitting meditation.

I've managed my brain chatter my whole life with these activites, and I was only recently diagnosed. In my experience they help me maintain a much clearer head than if I don't do them, with or without medication.

I practiced moving meditation for many years off and on before I was able to sit and meditate effectively for a length of time. If you try sitting meditation and struggle, try yoga or tai chi instead.

ana futura
04-09-12, 11:45 AM
This article just got mentioned in another thread-
http://www.bicycling.com/print/1034

Very interesting information regarding exercise and adhd.

Abi
04-09-12, 12:20 PM
Switch to Dexedrine IR or Ritalin IR, its much cheaper than Adderall XR and should be within your budget.

And with an extremely higher probability of efficacy than any "miscelaneous treatments".