View Full Version : Please Help?

Melissa1568
10-29-04, 12:43 AM
Hello,

I am a 36 year-old proud mother of a wonderful 8 year-old boy :D . My son and I live in a small farming community in IL.

I have been diagnosed with ADD, Bi-Polar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, OCD, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, along with a host of other diagnoses.

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD, Depression, and signs of Bi-Polar Disorder.

He is currently taking four medications for this:

Adderall - ADHD
Celexa - Depression
Clonidine - Sleep and Impulsivity
Risperdal - Mood Stabilizer (Bi-Polar)
His father and I are divorced and he lives an hour away with his new wife, (of 1 month), and her two children from different fathers, one is age 2, the other is age 5.

My son has a lot of trouble making friends. He is so sociable, lovey-touchy, tactile, very sensitive, but is not extremely boyish in a tomboy / rough boy way like you see some boys who are so into sports and rough-housing. He has no self-esteem or confidence. He complains that the kids say they hate him and call him names. He talks excessively and doesn't know how to take cues from the other children when they've heard enough talking from him. He also talks to, and follows adults around, or anyone who will listen, no matter if they are strangers or friends. He will continue to talk until they become rude to him or they walk away. Some of what he talks about may be inappropriate. When he says something wrong to his peers, they say something mean, then he becomes embarassed, then begins to act up laughing or pointing, talking to them in a baby-like voice. They then hit him, literally. He just doesn't know how to interact appropriately. And most importantly there isn't any self-esteem. He is praised here at home. We have a responsibility board and he earns rewards as well. He is currently acting in a local play, so I am trying to get him involved with others. I have asked other children over...but many don't wish to befriend him.

He is currently on the waiting list for a Big Brother from Big Brothers / Big Sisters. I also have him signed up for a mentoring program at school.

And unfortunately, Medicaid, or IL KidCare said that they do not approve Therapy Services for children, so he cannot seek Therapy. The only service they provide is for him to speak to a Psychiatrist, who in this area and surrounding areas aren't taking any Medicaid/KidCare Patients or New Patients. Also, he and I are both receiving DHS Medicaid / KidCare coverage, he has an SSI Income, but I was recently approved and will have to await monies for up to 3 months, so I cannot afford to pay for sessions.

What can I do about his self-esteem and his awareness on how to make friendships, and to go about getting Therapy coverage for my son?

I am new to this site. Does anyone know if there is an Online ADHD Expert Chat Meeting on this or any site? Any advice or links are appreciated. Also, if anyone has any information on other state programs, organizations, or agencies that can help please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Melissa

mylife
12-07-04, 10:48 PM
Call the school guidance counselor to talk with him and/or stop by his classroom to say hi and check up on him. Sometimes the extra attention will help the self-esteem.

My son is also extremely jealous of his little sister. I feel that it will never change. He has said many times "I wish I were an only child"....even tonight at dinner. The medication has calmed his aggressiveness but not his feelings of jealousy.

e-mail me if you ever need to vent.

juliette
07-26-05, 04:08 PM
Sounds like he has Aspergers syndrome mixed in there as well! Bipolar and Aspergers have a lot of characteristics that mimic each other. They can have Bipolar and Aspergers and ADHD at the same time(my son does). You've almost described my son as well.