View Full Version : Can't sleep at night, can't wake up in the morning

Paws13
03-28-12, 01:53 PM
Usually I don't go past the third section on the forums... I just realized there's a section for other conditions with ADD here :D

Last semester, I had all afternoon classes, so it wouldn't be uncommon for me to wake up at 1:30 PM. Plus I was involved in a really weird relationship that on any random night could keep me up until 3 or 4 in the morning, sometimes later (it's a very long story). Now, even though I'm out of the afternoon classes and the relationship, I can only go to sleep at 2 or 3 AM and I can't wake up for my early classes.

My bedtime routine is surfing on the internet until I start to feel kind of drowsy, turn the sleep timer on the TV, and go to sleep. If I don't have the TV on, I'll toss and turn, I'll think about all of my problems, and I won't be able to go to sleep for an hour or two. I don't want to take sleeping pills because I don't want to sleep longer by accident.

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I just continually hit the snooze button. I can't find the will to get out of bed in the morning. I'll usually say to myself that I'll shut my eyes for 2 more minutes, and suddenly it's 2 hours later. Between going to bed at 3 AM and not being able to wake up in time for my 7:30 classes, I'm frustrated that I'm always sleepy during the day and wide awake when I'm supposed to be asleep.

What are some good ways to get my internal clock back on track? Better ways to try and fall asleep? Any advice is appreciated :)

sarahsweets
03-28-12, 02:16 PM
Two things that I use are melatonin and sonata. Melatonin I take every night for my circadium rhythm and sonata in an emergency. The sonata only has a half life of 2-3 hours so I'm able to wake up.

thejohnson475
03-28-12, 05:00 PM
I have the same problem, the past couple of weeks the earliest I've gone to bed was last night at 3:30am. So I've been sleeping straight through the mornings until about 1 or 2pm (work evening shifts so it's not so bad). For me I'm pretty sure it's my meds, I take Vyvanse 40mg/day and usually I don't take it until after I make it to work since I usually experience a pretty bad crash if I take it anytime earlier than that.

eeilyk
03-28-12, 07:16 PM
I had the same problem and it was really affecting my work, i made a thread on it recently so you might find some useful information on it in there. I think it's in the Dex section.. I went off my SSRI and onto a Melatonin AD and it helped soooo much!
Definitely talk to your doctor about it. :)

Flory
03-28-12, 08:39 PM
Yes exactly the same im not tired till 3am and i cant wake up until 2pm some days i've missed like 50% of my classes this term :( my dad is getting at me about it..he teaches at the uni i study at so he knows if im not in , ill usually meet him for coffe at some point in the day :( he thinks i do it deliberately i literally just cant sleep or wake up anymore :(

qanda
03-28-12, 11:00 PM
My daughter just started listening to books on tape the past weeks & it is working wonderfully to help her fall asleep. Try the library, you can download many for free. She used to take melatonin which also worked well. If starting melatonin, I suggest starting off at a low dose. She took 0.5 mg (we cut a 1 mg table in half) and she took it about 1.5 hrs before sleep. A higher dose gave her really vivid dreams that scared her.

Flory
03-28-12, 11:09 PM
i used to have melatonin, very natural remedy which is a good thing i might need to ask for this from my gp...my sleep has gotten worse on concerta ...i dont think its the concerta in itself so much as i was already like this + the concerta its just even more exaggerated !

SweetCode
03-31-12, 02:03 AM
I got the same problem , alredy tried klonopin , trileptal and currently I am trying risperidal.

The only that had any effect was the klonopin , but made me fell more "high" than sleepy... I am probably going to try melatonin as everyone here is saying that it works :)

eeilyk
03-31-12, 07:04 AM
Does melatonin leave you drowsy in the morning? I can't stand sleeping aids that leave you feeling terrible in the morning. A small dosage of Xanax is the best thing I've ever used for sleep, I wake up feeling so relaxed but refreshed.. However their addictivenes makes them an impractical long term solution.

Valdoxan helps me sleep and I feel pretty good in the morning but the drowsy effect is already starting to weaken :(

ADDinHDefgHi?!
03-31-12, 08:01 AM
Melatonin is a good non habit forming way to get some sleep. I recently tried Rozerem (sp?) and it worked really well, it's like prescription melatonin because it lasts eight hours and it supposedly works on the same receptors melatonin does. At least that's what it said in the pamphlet.

I personally have never been a morning person, all attempts to change my sleep schedule have proved futile, but I work evenings and nights so it's not usually a problem.

I think Lunesta works better than Ambien if you were to use a prescribed sleep aid, Lunesta lasts all night. Ambien works though.

Certain antihistamines work well, Hydroxyzine works great but I don't think it's commonly prescribed... but I don't really know. Just know that I was prescribed it before and it worked great and wasn't addictive. Doxylamine works great for a otc sleep aid.

Klonopin and Xanax can help, but the risk of dependence puts them in the last resort category for me. (I take klonopin daily and it's not something you want to be dependent on, otherwise I'd recommend it). If it's just to fall asleep and not every night Xanax is good because of the short half life, but still the risk of dependence is there.

I'm not a doctor though, just an anxious individual who has made a lot of bad decisions, resulting in too many prescriptions!

I'd try the Melatonin and or Lunesta first if I were you.

silivrentoliel
03-31-12, 11:52 AM
I've tried Melatonin, but if insomnia is really bad, it won't touch it w/o reaching a "too high" dose of melatonin... I take Vistaril (I think that's how it's spelled?) and it seems to work pretty well for being able to wake up in the mornings... it's the easiest sleep med I've ever taken to wake up from. Doesn't mean I like waking up in the mornings, but I'm not a zombie.

purpleToes
03-31-12, 12:06 PM
Usually I don't go past the third section on the forums... I just realized there's a section for other conditions with ADD here :D

Last semester, I had all afternoon classes, so it wouldn't be uncommon for me to wake up at 1:30 PM. Plus I was involved in a really weird relationship that on any random night could keep me up until 3 or 4 in the morning, sometimes later (it's a very long story). Now, even though I'm out of the afternoon classes and the relationship, I can only go to sleep at 2 or 3 AM and I can't wake up for my early classes.

My bedtime routine is surfing on the internet until I start to feel kind of drowsy, turn the sleep timer on the TV, and go to sleep. If I don't have the TV on, I'll toss and turn, I'll think about all of my problems, and I won't be able to go to sleep for an hour or two. I don't want to take sleeping pills because I don't want to sleep longer by accident.

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I just continually hit the snooze button. I can't find the will to get out of bed in the morning. I'll usually say to myself that I'll shut my eyes for 2 more minutes, and suddenly it's 2 hours later. Between going to bed at 3 AM and not being able to wake up in time for my 7:30 classes, I'm frustrated that I'm always sleepy during the day and wide awake when I'm supposed to be asleep.

What are some good ways to get my internal clock back on track? Better ways to try and fall asleep? Any advice is appreciated :)

Before turning to sleep aids, you need to eliminate your sleep enemies: computer and TV late at night. The bright light of both shines straight into your pineal gland located in the middle of your forehead, inhibiting your own natural production of melatonin, which is the hormone mainly responsible for making you drowsy at night. Your brain still thinks it's daytime.

A couple of hours before the time you want to go to bed, start turning down the lights. Instead of internet surfing, read print material. It's often suggested to read a book but not all of us have the attention span for a book...so you could bring a stack of magazines instead.

If you can't stand reading, TV is still better than staying on the computer. It's less mentally stimulating than the interactive-ness of being on the internet, and the light it shines on you isn't ideal for sleep, but it is far less intense because it is at a distance, versus the computer monitor which is just inches from your face.

(disclaimer: I rarely follow any of this advice myself even though it works! But if my life depended on going to bed on time, that's what I'd do.)

purpleToes
03-31-12, 12:12 PM
A Kindle-type reading device with e-ink (not an internally lit LCD screen) would work too.

purpleToes
03-31-12, 12:23 PM
Try to notice the things that energize you vs. the things that are calming or sedating, and choose your evening activities accordingly. For example, some people have a hard time sleeping if they exercise at night, but others sleep better after a good workout.

I have a hard time getting to sleep if I feel hungry, so I like a snack before bed.

eeilyk
03-31-12, 01:20 PM
Melatonin is a good non habit forming way to get some sleep. I recently tried Rozerem (sp?) and it worked really well, it's like prescription melatonin because it lasts eight hours and it supposedly works on the same receptors melatonin does. At least that's what it said in the pamphlet.

I personally have never been a morning person, all attempts to change my sleep schedule have proved futile, but I work evenings and nights so it's not usually a problem.

I think Lunesta works better than Ambien if you were to use a prescribed sleep aid, Lunesta lasts all night. Ambien works though.

Certain antihistamines work well, Hydroxyzine works great but I don't think it's commonly prescribed... but I don't really know. Just know that I was prescribed it before and it worked great and wasn't addictive. Doxylamine works great for a otc sleep aid.

Klonopin and Xanax can help, but the risk of dependence puts them in the last resort category for me. (I take klonopin daily and it's not something you want to be dependent on, otherwise I'd recommend it). If it's just to fall asleep and not every night Xanax is good because of the short half life, but still the risk of dependence is there.

I'm not a doctor though, just an anxious individual who has made a lot of bad decisions, resulting in too many prescriptions!

I'd try the Melatonin and or Lunesta first if I were you.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately the Rozerem and Lunesta both stay decreased sexual desire and libido issues.. I pretty much always cop this side effect if a medication lists it as one and it's not something i'm willing to sacrifice.

I'm on Valdoxan which increases melatonin in the brain but i don't think it's quite strong enough. The problem i face is that Melatonin isn't legally available here, i can order it in easy enough but i can't exactly ask my doctor if it's okay to take them together :P

*sigh* i suppose ill just talk to him on Monday and see if i can double my Valdoxan dose.

SweetCode
03-31-12, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately the Rozerem and Lunesta both stay decreased sexual desire and libido issues.. I pretty much always cop this side effect if a medication lists it as one and it's not something i'm willing to sacrifice.

I'm on Valdoxan which increases melatonin in the brain but i don't think it's quite strong enough. The problem i face is that Melatonin isn't legally available here, i can order it in easy enough but i can't exactly ask my doctor if it's okay to take them together :P

*sigh* i suppose ill just talk to him on Monday and see if i can double my Valdoxan dose.

For short periods of time you can use dramamine to sleep (2 or 3x the dose used to motion sickness, never going over 600mg), it's not recommended for long periods of time , but for me works better than klonopin.

beautifulfreak
04-16-13, 05:42 AM
Ok - First, check your sleep hygeine (http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene). Stop using the computer to make you sleepy, and don't fall asleep to the TV because it is bad for you sleep. Also, make sure your room is dark at night, but not pitch black so when the sun starts to rise the natural sunlight is allowed into your room.

If you're going to bed at 3AM and have classes at 7:30AM, that's only 6.5 hours of sleep, assuming you wake up an hour before classes. So if you CAN, try to get more sleep to avoid accumulating sleep debt. Your brain also creates memories and stores information when you are sleeping, so if you're in school, you should get some more sleep so that you remember more information.

It sounds like you have delayed sleep phase syndrome from staying up really late all the time last semester - start taking melatonin at 10pm (when your body naturally produces it), and (FOR ME) taking Adderall before I go to bed helps me wake up to my alarms.

Hope this helps!

Rockafella83
06-05-16, 12:01 PM
I had a lot of problems with sleep during the last few years. At a certain point, psychostimulant really mess up my nervous system. I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep (usually woke up between 3:00am & 4:30am having a lot of trouble getting back to sleep.

The best way I deal with it was;

-Using Melatonin (Small amount, usually 3mg or less). By the way, if it cause palpitation, it's probably too strong.. I had this problem..

-Magnesium Threonate. Heart palpitation stoped during the day but also, slept so much better. Even tough it cost much more than usual Magnesium, it's the one that I tolerated the best compare to other formulation. Some studies suppose that it increase brain magnesium more than other form. It have also other beneficials aspects on learning, stress even PTSD. Some says that it's not that much better than more conventional forms of Magnesium, that the price don't justify the benefits. Personnally, it's the form that worked the best for me without have digestive problem that occured with others form of Magnesium.Cortisol Awakening Response. I learned that term the hard way. I used to woke up with palpitations every night and didn't know why. Found out that stress from psychostimulant was messing up my nervous system. Magnesium helped a lot for it actually.

-Low blood sugar that could occur during the night could trigger a spike of norepinephrine causing waking up. Eating a small snack before bed could help, like boiled eggs, peanuts butters or some meats. The key point is small protein snacks that will keep the blood sugar stable during the night. Could also help falling back to sleep during the night.

I'm not a big fan of prescription pill for sleep even if I found them usefull on short term or occasionally. Benzo like meds, atypical antipsychotics .. I've tried a few of them and when I checked the pros & cons, it didn't worth it. That's my point of view and I guess everyone have an opinion on that but like every meds, side effects should be taken in consideration and from what I read, the long term side effects are not looking good.

Hope it help ...

maysarieltiff
08-14-16, 10:11 PM
Why isn't melatonin available there? What effects are they worried about? Just curious.

Laserbeak
08-15-16, 11:01 PM
Restoril (temazepam) is the benzodiazepine of choice when it comes to a sleeping pill. Others like Xanax and Klonopin are meant more for daytime anxiety.