View Full Version : Best omega 3 for the buck

Ballard
03-28-12, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for the best omega 3 for the buck, with high levels of DHA and EPA. I just thought I would share what I found and if anyone knows of a better deal out there. I was thinking of taking 3 pills a day and I would be getting 600 mg's of DHA and 900 of EPA totaling 1650 mg of fish oil a day.

Swanson EFAs
Super EPA Fish Oil
200 DHA
300 EPA
Price: $6.49 for 100 capsules

**********Lable*************
Serving Size 1 Softgel
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 10
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1 gram <2%
ecOmegaŽ 30/20 Fish Oil
Concentrate
1 gram *
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 550 mg *
EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) 300 mg *
DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 200 mg *
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 50 mg *
Natural Tocopherols
(preservative for fish oil)
2 mg

TheChemicals
03-28-12, 04:43 PM
Dollar General has them for one dollar a bottle.

Lunacie
03-28-12, 05:10 PM

I can get a bottle of 30 for a buck at Dollar Tree. They cost 2-3 times that much at our Dollar General stores.

Walgreens had a 2-fer sale in the fall so I got some thinking they should work better than the cheapo ones ...

nope, not for me anyway. I bought another bottle at Dollar Tree and finished off the more expensive ones
by taking one from each bottle every morning.

I was glad when I could go back to taking two of the cheapo ones every day. :)

Ballard
03-28-12, 05:13 PM

Is that locally or on there website? I found their brand online for $7. 120 pills with 300 mg of DHA and EPA still a good deal.

Ballard
03-28-12, 05:28 PM
I can get a bottle of 30 for a buck at Dollar Tree. They cost 2-3 times that much at our Dollar General stores.

Walgreens had a 2-fer sale in the fall so I got some thinking they should work better than the cheapo ones ...

nope, not for me anyway. I bought another bottle at Dollar Tree and finished off the more expensive ones
by taking one from each bottle every morning.

I was glad when I could go back to taking two of the cheapo ones every day. :)

I picked up that 2 for one deal at wallgreens it was the Natures Made brand. for 2 pills it has 720 mg of DHA plus EPA for 2400 of fish oil.

I checked the Dollartree website I only see Nature's Measure brand, Its cheap but only 1,000 mg of fish oil and 300 mg total Omega-3 fatty acids. From what I've read online 600 mg of DHA is recommended for daily intake.

Lunacie
03-28-12, 06:04 PM
I picked up that 2 for one deal at wallgreens it was the Natures Made brand. for 2 pills it has 720 mg of DHA plus EPA for 2400 of fish oil.

I checked the Dollartree website I only see Nature's Measure brand, Its cheap but only 1,000 mg of fish oil and 300 mg total Omega-3 fatty acids. From what I've read online 600 mg of DHA is recommended for daily intake.

It doesn't seem like the numbers alone tell me whether it will work well for me.

I take two of the ones from Dollar Tree every morning - makes 600 mg.
So far that's enough for me, but some people take more than that.

I was taking two of the Nature Made from Walgreens and they weren't nearly as effective.

Addkon
03-28-12, 07:50 PM
:)

I use Carlson Liquid (the lemon flavor). Liquid has much higher potency.

And...it does not. taste. bad. At all. I've turned a lot of people on to it. I've never had one person say it tasted bad. I have had some brands that aren't great, and I'm not a fan of the orange flavor.
But the lemon is...good?

In fact, the liquid has less of a fish taste than the pills.

Whatever dose you are trying to take...

It is the total of DHA and EPA. NOT the total amount of "fish oil".

That is crucial.

You then want to make sure you have at least 200 or either EPA or DHA per 1000 mg of (So 800/200 either way) would be the lowest acceptable ratio to make a 1000mg.

I suspect some of the ones above have very small amounts of EPA/DHA relative to the dose. Also, make sure to see how many pills are in the dose on the back.

A teaspoon of Carlsons is 800/500 EPA/DHA.

Flax oil is really not a good substitute. The Omega 3 in Flax oil is ALA, which your body has to convert to DHA/EPA. The conversion ratio is very low, around 10 to 1, and varies among individuals.

Lunacie
03-28-12, 08:21 PM
I've never had any taste with the gel caps. Of course, I've never bitten into one.