View Full Version : What can I take for anxiety that won't clash with adderall

Goofycook
03-29-12, 11:47 AM
I have been going through I rough patch in my life. I mentioned to my therapist that I was having panic attacks in the middle of the night. She said I should think about going on something for about 6 months to get me through this rough patch.

I take adderall during the day so usually I feel pretty level through out the day. At night my thoughts go out of controll and that is when the panick attacks come full force. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should take.

Im really nervous about this. It took me a couple years to accept the adderall and the fact that it isn't a copout for being lazy. My biggest fear is becoming a zombie.(30 years I worked in a psyche ward where poeple were really doped up)I am open to any advice.

I see my therapist on monday the 2nd. I'm tempted to avoid the subject of new medication but I know she will bring up again.

QueensU_girl
03-29-12, 11:50 AM
I understand that stimulants can cause or contribute to anxiety and panic attacks.

Stimulants raise sympathetic nervous system stimulation, for starters. (e.g. increased heart rate, sweating, breathing), which can be uncomfortable to people who suffer from anxiety, since it feels in the body like a panicky feeling.

There are non-stimulants medications used off-label for ADD/ADHD (eg Wellbutrin, Effexor, etc.)

trishcan
03-29-12, 01:00 PM
I take ambien, which helps with the nighttime mind-racing. I also have a prescription for ativan.

silivrentoliel
03-29-12, 01:54 PM
I don't know about working in conjunction w/ Adderall... but I take Zoloft, but it cuts the effectiveness of my Concerta and I have to take 10mg of Ritalin in the afternoons to get me through the day... it works well for the anxiety though.

ceebee
05-22-12, 04:21 PM
Try not to get hooked on benzodiazepines like xanax, ativan, klonopin, valium, etc.

Traveler5
05-25-12, 05:25 PM
See if you can get a prescription for Xanax or Ativan. Xanax is quicker acting and great at managing panic attacks fairly quickly but does not last as long as Ativan. Klonopin is the longest lasting benzodiazepine in terms of how long it stays in your system.

You will only become addicted to these drugs if you allow yourself to. You have to be careful and aware of what the med is doing to/for you just as you would if you were taking insulin for diabetes. Do not take more of the med than what your doctor prescribes and you'll be fine. I've been on Ativan for over 15 years for GAD and a whole host of other benzodiazepines. I only take the amount I have been prescribed and have never leaned toward abusing them. Just for clarification, I don't take only benzodiazepines for anxiety. I am also on AD's which is something you may want to consider as well for long term treatment.

As for getting sound sleep at night, also talk to her about taking Trazadone as a sleep aid. It's non-addicting, puts you into a nice deep sleep, and it's cheap.

By the way, none of the benzodiazepines should clash Adderall and Adderall does not clash with AD's and Trazadone.

spc123
05-25-12, 11:18 PM
If you take Ativan, or any other benzo, at any dose, daily, for six months, you WILL become dependent and you WILL experience withdrawal symptoms. Remember, dependence and addiction are two different things. Dependence is a physiological response that you can't do much about. It's a fact of life with certain medications, benzodiazapines being one such class of medications. If you want I can point you to peer reviewed studies backing me up on this. I can also point you to government recommendations that these medications not be used longer than two weeks.

That said, if your doctor decides this is the best course of action for you, be aware that at the end of your treatment you will likely need a fairly slow and drawn out taper schedule in order to minimize symptoms of discontinuation. I would suggest discussing this up front to ensure your doctor understands the concern, and the recommended discontinuation process.

If you only need help with panic a couple of times a week I would suggest Ativan or Klonopin. Benzo's are fine if you use them sparingly (ie fewer days than not in a given week). If you need daily help for a six month period, try Effexor (venlafaxine). It is an SNRI medication that has been shown very effective in treating certain types of anxiety.

sarahsweets
05-26-12, 05:26 AM
If you take Ativan, or any other benzo, at any dose, daily, for six months, you WILL become dependent and you WILL experience withdrawal symptoms. Remember, dependence and addiction are two different things. Dependence is a physiological response that you can't do much about. It's a fact of life with certain medications, benzodiazapines being one such class of medications. If you want I can point you to peer reviewed studies backing me up on this. I can also point you to government recommendations that these medications not be used longer than two weeks.

That said, if your doctor decides this is the best course of action for you, be aware that at the end of your treatment you will likely need a fairly slow and drawn out taper schedule in order to minimize symptoms of discontinuation. I would suggest discussing this up front to ensure your doctor understands the concern, and the recommended discontinuation process.

If you only need help with panic a couple of times a week I would suggest Ativan or Klonopin. Benzo's are fine if you use them sparingly (ie fewer days than not in a given week). If you need daily help for a six month period, try Effexor (venlafaxine). It is an SNRI medication that has been shown very effective in treating certain types of anxiety.

I agree. Ideally you would want to avoid benzos if you can because you can develop a tolerance and end up needing more and more for the same effective coverage. Some people are able to take benzos everyday for years, but I feel like those people are few and far between. I have a script for xanax but I rarely take it for those same reasons.

Traveler5
06-08-12, 01:32 AM

I don't agree that a person will become dependent after taking low daily doses beyond six months. A zillion people have taken these meds on-going at low doses for years and, like me, are not dependent on them. Tollerance is the issue. If you find you need more and more of the drug to get the same initial benefit, then you are headed into dark waters. I've been taking .5 to 1.0 mg/day for a very long time -- on and off -- with no withdrawal issues when, for whatever reason, I stop taking them. I can see this being a problem at higher doses per day on-going but not at a .5mg/day for over six months. .5mg/day is a very low dose for most people suffering from anxiety issues.

425runner
06-08-12, 02:51 PM
I agree with Traveler5; I've been taking 0.5mg Klonopin on and off for over a year now with no need to increase the dose. You'll only become dependent if you let yourself...but a low dose is just enough to keep me "cool" I've been under a lot of stress lately and this really helps.

If you don't wanna try medication, then get some l-theanine (suntheanine) 200mg on an empty stomach or before bed along with lemon balm and valerian root.

spc123
06-08-12, 04:30 PM
It's certainly true that not everyone becomes dependent on a drug, however dependence is a physiological reaction to the drug. It isn't something you have any control over unless you simply avoid taking the drug on a daily basis. It is a result of the body and brain adjusting to the medication. The longer you use a medication, and the higher the dose, the more likely dependence becomes. Benzodiazapines have a particularly high dependence profile, and a particularly nasty withdrawal profile. This is why I urge caution with this class of drug. Some people are lucky and don't develop any significant dependence. Others do. The same thing can be said for tolerance.

Remember, addiction and dependence are two completely separate things. One results from abuse of a drug. The other is the bodies natural regulatory response to some medications.

Mystikz
07-12-12, 11:52 PM
Yup been searching for this answer for a long time. Kind of ironic that many people with adhd seem to have anxiety and yet the best medication for adhd raises anxiety and all anxiety meds seem to reduce the effectiveness of your adhd meds. Welcome to the matrix :mad:

hollywood
07-13-12, 11:16 AM
Yup addiction is different than dependence. Yet tolerance could be argued and side effects can be even argued as different as well. For example I had to take higher doses for classes and school and it was alot . I didn't like it and I was kind of drained most of the time. Yet when classes were done I stopped the high dose and weened down to a mid level dose . I felt tired for awhile as my receptors adapted and plus I was on bimodal capsules for school that pump the drug out right away in even doses and then I went to concerta that is more time released. Bottom line is that I was never addicted nor dependent . Yet is wasnt really comfortable and at times I wondered what was going on in my head. So clearly clinical use and proper rx from my doctor for larger amounts during classes and then lower during summer was definitely logical and safe in my specific case. So if you have severe adhd and are stressed then its possilbe to need larger doses but have side effects and not be addicted or want more but require more frequent doses and increased dosages during study periods. Additionally, your right. Adhd stimulants fight the symptoms but it doesnt stop your mind when bored and in set environments. For that you may very well need a snri or ssri. In my experience ssri's are not half as effective as snris . SNRis give more of an effect, yet they do give you fatigue and give some spaciness while fighting anxiety in some respects. Basically they make you more content in a set environment and that results in focus and productivity

Redman86
07-16-12, 03:37 PM
I suggest .5mg-1mg of klonopin. That usually helps.

chris44
07-21-12, 07:22 PM
If you have a very trusting doctor/psychiatrist that you've been seeing for a long time that has been in the business for years and years (like 1980s starting) you could try amobarbital (which is a barbiturate). The dose would have to be small, of course, and barbiturates are very dangerous if not taken as prescribed, even by mistake (such as forgetting you just took it and taking a second dose). If you've ever used a drug with the intent to get high, have abused a prescription before including abuse for reasons other that inducing euphoria (getting high) such as, for example (I'm not accusing you of anything) something doubling your dose in order to study all night (you may not have felt euphoric or high, but it is still abuse), do not try this medication. Even if 'recreational' drug use happened years ago I suggest you do not try amobarbital. Don't try it if you have any sort of alcohol problem or have had one in the past either. Barbiturates

This sounds like a very stupid suggestion seeing as Barbiturates are rarely used due to the danger associated with them and their being almost completely replaced by benzodiazepams, but if you want something that will not clash with Adderall the best option is a Barbiturate. Barbiturates block the AMPA receptor (with the degree of it's being blocked determined by dose), a subtype of the glutamate receptor. As the neurotoxicity of Amphetamines (in this case Adderall) is believed to be present even in medical doses according to a significant number of recent (and old) studies, though this is disputed (many other studies support Amphetamine, though not larger medical doses of Methamphetamine, not being neurotoxic except at very high recreational doses), the decrease in glutamate can prevent one of the main ways in which Amphetamines act as a neurotoxin. Barbiturates also interact with the GABA receptor differently than Benzodiazepams in such a way that their pairing with Amphetamines would be safer for your heart, assuming no abuse occurs and the dose is just right.

There used to be a medication known as Dexamyl, aka "Purple Hearts". It was a mixture of dextroamphetamine and amobarbital (to counter the side effects) that was a popular antidepressant and painkiller. There were other Amphetamine-Barbiturate combinations in wide-spread use in both the USA and Europe. Notably, John F Kennedy took a Amphetamine-Barbiturate combination (for genuine treatment of pain).

They would be the best anti-anxiety medication to take alongside Adderall, but the chances of a doctor prescribing it are very slim unless you have a very good doctor -patient and no record of drug abuse. But you will likely end up on a Benzodiazepam or something that acts like a Benzodiazepam (such as Ambien). Still, I find it interesting due to the history of the Barbiturate-Amphetamine combination.

EnergizerJen
07-26-12, 10:56 AM
If I could make a suggestion:

I'm not a doctor.
I have not been on Adderall very long. (4-5) months.

but this is my opinion.
I mean no harm or disrespect to anyone who previously posted or that will post in the future.
Just my opinion.

Benzo's (regardless of the brand or dosage) should ONLY be used on an as needed basis.
I have a script for Xanax 1 mg 60 count in the bottle.
I've had it since March, and I have 15 or more in the bottle.

I ONLY take it when my PANIC ATTACK has become so awful that I'm struggling to breathe and I can't stop crying/screaming/etc.

My suggestion: for you the OP is to try a mild sleep aid. I use Desryl (trazodone). It's an anti-depressant and a sleep aid. I don't take it all the time, but when I do, I sleep soundly and comfortably all night long and I don't have the drugged/hangover thing in the morning. My body relaxes and personally I can't recall having bad dreams/panic attacks in the middle of the night EVER with it.

I have watched more than 20 people try to come off Benzo's in different facilities and without scaring you, I want you to know that ALL THOSE PEOPLE struggled as hard as someone coming off Heroin.
I'm not comparing one drug to another and those people I mentioned used benzo's daily or every other day for more than 6-9 months.
I think I only saw 2 people make it through the withdraws without caving and going back to them.

Do I have benzo's in my medicine cabinet? Yes.
Do I avoid them at all costs? Yes.

My boyfriend will usually trail behind me and BEG me to take one. I always decline. I've tried really hard to do whatever I can to deal with what's going on or try to let it pass.

The middle of the night panic attacks are super tough. I get those too. I cry and thrash around and it's a mess.
but I'll get up break a trazodone into thirds and take it. I sip a glass of water in the chair and take deep breaths and watch tv for about 15 minutes.

The tv distracts me while the trazodone quickly takes affect. I get the same "calm" feeling as with a benzo and if I lay down, I usually fall back asleep within minutes.

We are talking about 20 minutes tops from the time I wake up in panic to the time I'm back asleep.
A benzo does the exact same thing.

Obviously you can't take a trazodone in the middle of the day, but this would be my suggestion for night time.

Avoid those benzo's like the plague. Use them responsibly.
They can eventually (even over one months use) make your panic attacks worse and last longer because your body is waiting for the benzo release.

Adderall does increase panic and anxiety in people. Maybe that might be something to discuss with your pdoc.

I only post about the benzo's because I'm so scared that other people do not know what kind of withdraws are associated with it if they decide to stop.

Adderall has it's own withdraws. But speaking from experience, next to Alcohol and Heroin withdraw-benzo's are next and it's painful and very scary to watch someone go through.

Those withdraws may not be typical to EVERY person who takes them, but I haven't seen one yet.

Just be cautious and explore all your options. If benzo's is the answer, there's no shame in it (I USE THEM TOO), but just be aware of what misuse or extended periods of time using can result in.

I hope you get the answers you need.

Jen

sarahsweets
07-26-12, 11:02 AM
I agree with Jen. Some people need them in dire ircumstances ut just like anything(cold meds,food,sex,etc) they can all e addictive. So I would avoid them. I hsve xanax as well ut i use it in a "break glass in an emergency" sort of setting.

tambourine-man
07-26-12, 01:36 PM
I've only taken two regular benzodiazepines in conjunction with Adderall and I only just started one of them. Both reduce the effectiveness to a degree it would seem. Valium, however, eventually did NOTHING for my anxiety though it did reduce meltdowns and interfered greatly with my cognition. Klonopin seems to be a much better alternative though I just began the combination.

FocusPocus10
07-27-12, 03:09 PM
I second Tambourine, klonopin taken daily at a fairly low dose will not clash with adderall or dex. If anxiety is a problem I'd highly recommend it. Xanax is the only other benzo I have tried and it made me sleepy and loopy regardless of my stimulant.

tambourine-man
07-27-12, 09:04 PM
I second Tambourine, klonopin taken daily at a fairly low dose will not clash with adderall or dex. If anxiety is a problem I'd highly recommend it. Xanax is the only other benzo I have tried and it made me sleepy and loopy regardless of my stimulant.

I've found clonazepam (Klonopin) to be the only benzo that maintains a degree of its anxiolytic properties over time (provided you don't overdo it). Infrequent dosing is, of course, ideal, but regular, moderate dosing is possile without completely loss of benefits. I recently picked up the first script for Klonopin I've had in years (90 1mg tablets). I certainly hope I'm not staring into an empty bottle at the end of the month. So far I'm taking less than half the daily prescribed dose.

Any dose of Klonopin WILL reduce the effectiveness of Adderall to some degree, but if size of the dose is appropriately limited the reduction in stimulation will be negligible. Klonopin reduces cognitive functioning. There's no real way of denying it. It has therapeutic benefits specifically because it drepresses the central nervous system. Adderall works by stimulating the CNS. The effect of combining the two isn't some phenomenal pharmaceutical speedball - they just sort of cancel each other out.