View Full Version : What to do if Doctor disappears?

cualexander
11-01-04, 01:51 PM
Ok so this is a bit odd, but I called my doctor's office today because I need my Adderall refilled and usually I just have to call him up and he leaves the scrip at the front desk for me. So I usually only deal with him about once a month, but when I called the office he worked at, they said that he no longer works there. They wouldn't say why he left. He took all his records with him, and the only information they have on him is a cell number that I get no response from. So I called the Board of Medicine. Well the only information they have listed on him is the address and phone number of the office he worked at. They were of no help. Also, at the office where I was going, my doctor was the only psychiatrist so now I am about out of my medication and I have to find a new doctor all together. What is the best way to go about this situation? I really don't want a new doctor because I'm going to have to go through the whole spill again about ADD since I don't have my file and the only diagnosis is from my old "missing" doctor.

Does anyone else think that this is a strange situation to be put in?

exeter
11-01-04, 04:29 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty irresponsible of the doc to leave and take all the records with him and not even leave copies at the office. I think I'd see about meeting with one of the other docs in that practice. At least the front desk lady would know he has you on adderall. :/

Do you have any documentation at all of your diagnosis, or, at least, a copy of one of your previous prescriptions?

Tara
11-01-04, 04:31 PM
Wow that is strange. It doesn't seem like you have a choice about finding a new doc unless you somehow can locate this one.

cualexander
11-01-04, 05:25 PM
Yeah and the worst part of all is that I can't really afford a new doc. I'm still in debt to the old office like $500(insurance doesn't cover mental health) because he told me not to worry about paying it off quickly, and I could pay it as I went and he didn't charge me for just writing out the scrips for Adderall. But now that he is gone the billing office isn't as friendly.

Also I told the front desk that I was on Adderall but there are no other licensed psychiatrists in the office, only psychologists which are of little use/worth to me as they can't really tell me anything I don't already know and they can't write prescription,so she told me I was out of luck and there was nothing I could do(but call the medical board which just referred me back to the same office)

Apparently, he was just renting that space for a bit and has since moved on elsewhere.

I do have my Adderall bottles still, do you think a doctor would prescribe me medication based on this fact alone? I don't have the money for more testing...

exeter
11-02-04, 03:33 AM
I'd say it's worth a shot. I'd see about finding a good MD (not necessarily even a psychiatrist). I'd be willing to bet that some of the docs who wouldn't prescribe adderall to a new patient might be willing to prescribe it for you if you could show them you have already been taking it with this other doc.

Trooper Keith
11-02-04, 08:34 AM
What to do? File a clinical irresponsibility claim. Doctor can't run off and take your PHI (Protected Health Information) with him, especially when you are in the middle of intensive longterm intervention. Find him and sue him.

Normally I think doctors and teachers should be immune to litigation if they are doing their job to the best of their ability...in this case, leaving like that without any warning and taking your PHI which you need for continuing treatment is clinically irresponsible and criminally negligent.

You could probably also get something for the fact that you can't access your own PHI right now, so he's basically stolen your medical history. You can sue him for that too.

Again, I hate litigation happiness, but this is a clear case of doctoral negligence.

mctavish23
11-07-04, 10:44 AM
For licensed psychologist's, when you leave a practice you are to inform your clients ahead of time and make referral suggestions ( in writing). Leaving abruptly certainly raises questions. I wish you luck.

janesays
11-07-04, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you could press charges or something for that. It seems a bit illegal. Maybe he was pulling a stunt he shouldnta been.