View Full Version : First visit with doctor about add coming up...

Dillonhy79
04-05-12, 03:44 PM
So i just made an appointment with my doctor about possibly having add but i'm extremely nervous about it and unsure if i even have ADD. I'm worried that he will think i'm drug seeking so ill post what is going on in my life and why i am alarmed that i might be add please reply what you think. Since i was about 14 i have been extremely forgetful, moreso than i've seen anyone else by a drastic ammount and people around me notice it. I have so much trouble socializing because i can't stay on topic... its like someone will say one little thing then i get hung up on it mentally and don't even hear the rest of what they are saying, leaving my with only "yea" or "cool" as a response, and i'll be thinking about something else. The will happen alot of the time unless i mentally think about staying on topic and put forth effort, otherwise i will be thinking of something totally different. When i was working i would forget to do certain tasks or start 1 thing, be interupted somehow, and completly forget to go back to my original task. When i have to sit down or am watching tv i'm constantly either chewing my nails or fidgeting with my hands. I lose my car keys/phone/tv remote so many times a week, more than once a day. I have completly forgotten apointments, almost gotten in wrecks i dont know how many times (I must have a guardian angel following my car or something). I have noticed that when i drink alcohol socializing and keeping in the conversation is 10x easier and makes socializing much more fun and interesting. I often interupt people, then immediately after feel like a moron after. Due to all this i have eventually become extremely introvert, trying to stay out of the spotlight and avoid socializing.

On the contrary, (and the source of my low confidence in my diagnosis of ADD) i didn't have many problems in school. When it came to learning i could pick up everything very quick (Specifically math). The only problems i had were projects with due dates in the far future, always did them in the last 2 days when i had a whole semester to do them. I also can play video games without having to get up and do something... but since i've increased my play time and decreased activity i have noticed my symptoms have gotten more severe.

SO SO sorry for the long read i just had to get that off my chest! this was my first time opening up to ANYONE about this! Replies are greatly appreciated!

silivrentoliel
04-05-12, 04:36 PM
I know it feels weird to go in and be like "I have this problem, I want you to see if I have it and then give me meds for it" because, yeah, it kinda does *feel* like drug seeking, but really, if you had diabetes, or needed glasses, or had asthma, you wouldn't think twice about the same type of conversation. Same thing. If you have ADHD, wanting to be treated for it so you can function better isn't anything to feel awkward about. Good luck!

sarahsweets
04-05-12, 06:16 PM
So i just made an appointment with my doctor about possibly having add but i'm extremely nervous about it and unsure if i even have ADD. I'm worried that he will think i'm drug seeking so ill post what is going on in my life and why i am alarmed that i might be add please reply what you think. Since i was about 14 i have been extremely forgetful, moreso than i've seen anyone else by a drastic ammount and people around me notice it. I have so much trouble socializing because i can't stay on topic... its like someone will say one little thing then i get hung up on it mentally and don't even hear the rest of what they are saying, leaving my with only "yea" or "cool" as a response, and i'll be thinking about something else. The will happen alot of the time unless i mentally think about staying on topic and put forth effort, otherwise i will be thinking of something totally different. When i was working i would forget to do certain tasks or start 1 thing, be interupted somehow, and completly forget to go back to my original task. When i have to sit down or am watching tv i'm constantly either chewing my nails or fidgeting with my hands. I lose my car keys/phone/tv remote so many times a week, more than once a day. I have completly forgotten apointments, almost gotten in wrecks i dont know how many times (I must have a guardian angel following my car or something). I have noticed that when i drink alcohol socializing and keeping in the conversation is 10x easier and makes socializing much more fun and interesting. I often interupt people, then immediately after feel like a moron after. Due to all this i have eventually become extremely introvert, trying to stay out of the spotlight and avoid socializing.

On the contrary, (and the source of my low confidence in my diagnosis of ADD) i didn't have many problems in school. When it came to learning i could pick up everything very quick (Specifically math). The only problems i had were projects with due dates in the far future, always did them in the last 2 days when i had a whole semester to do them. I also can play video games without having to get up and do something... but since i've increased my play time and decreased activity i have noticed my symptoms have gotten more severe.

SO SO sorry for the long read i just had to get that off my chest! this was my first time opening up to ANYONE about this! Replies are greatly appreciated!

In order for adhd to be diagnosed symptoms must have been present in childhood . As in before age 14.

Dillonhy79
04-05-12, 06:25 PM
sorry i didn't clarify this but at 14 was when i started to notice it myself, before then my parents joked around about it but didn't take me to a doctor (they were strict disciplinarians and didn't believe in medicating)