View Full Version : What other diseases go hand in hand with ADD?

noradd
04-06-12, 07:05 AM
Is it possible that having ADD also causes other diseases in the body or that persons who have ADD usually also suffer from other diseases?
I think I once heard that when you have certain skin problems like hyperkeratosis then this can also mean that you have ADD. I wonder if that's true.

sarahsweets
04-06-12, 08:47 AM
Is it possible that having ADD also causes other diseases in the body or that persons who have ADD usually also suffer from other diseases?
I think I once heard that when you have certain skin problems like hyperkeratosis then this can also mean that you have ADD. I wonder if that's true.

You can have comorbid conditions like bipolar or anxiety or depression but those are mental illnesses not diseases.

Fraser_0762
04-06-12, 08:51 AM
There seems to be quite a big link between "Dypraxia" and "ADHD".

It's also very common with ASD's.

But like Sarah said. They aren't diseases.

noradd
04-07-12, 04:46 PM
Hello, I was thinking about bodily diseases not mental diseases.
For example if someone has a lot of anxiety then this also would not only affect the mental health but also the rest of the body. Could the same apply also to ADD?

TheChemicals
04-07-12, 08:01 PM
Emotional detachment, sociopathic behavior.

Fraser_0762
04-07-12, 08:05 PM
Hello, I was thinking about bodily diseases not mental diseases.
For example if someone has a lot of anxiety then this also would not only affect the mental health but also the rest of the body. Could the same apply also to ADD?

I don't think there are any bodily diseases that are directly related with ADHD. A lot of people with ADHD have difficulties with their motor skills, which can effect the way the body functions. But its still related to the functioning of the nervous system. Things like Dyspraxia & Restless Leg Syndrome can effect people physically, but its still linked to the functioning of the brain itself.

Emotional detachment, sociopathic behavior.

Paraphyllia, especially of the anal kind.:eyebrow:

:lol:

MWalker
04-09-12, 06:00 PM
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there was a genetic link of some sort between fibromyalgia and ADD. No idea if there is any truth to it.

namazu
04-09-12, 06:33 PM
There are several genetic disorders that seem to come with a high risk of ADHD (or ADHD-like difficulties).

For example, people with Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/neurofibromatosis-type-1) (which is different from fibromyalgia), which causes tumors to grow in the body (especially in the nervous system) and skin pigment unevenness and some other issues, often have ADHD and/or learning disabilities.

There have also been some suggestions that people with ADHD and learning disabilities may have a higher occurrence of allergies and asthma, but I haven't seen compelling evidence for this. (I haven't looked, either, admittedly.)

It is possible that there is some link, but it is also possible that people who are diagnosed with ADHD a) are either more likely to be seeing doctors in general and getting all kinds of diagnoses, or b) living in cities with air pollution and cockroaches and other factors known to increase the risk of allergies and asthma. So I think the jury may still be out on that possible connection.

There's also some evidence that people with ADHD are more likely to be obese (and vice-versa), and with obesity often comes other problems (high blood pressure, diabetes, joint issues, etc.). There's only been a little bit of research on this so far, but most of what I've seen suggests that there's probably some common relationship to dopamine in the brain affecting impulse control, as well as other ADHD-related factors that make it hard to eat healthy meals and get enough exercise (lack of planning, etc.).

spunkysmum
04-09-12, 07:14 PM
CRS.

http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/643/914/7/1.jpg

Flory
04-09-12, 08:26 PM
being too cool for school:cool:...i distract...

a lot of neuro-developmental conditions i.e dyspraxia, dyslexia ASD, but also emotional problems/mood disorders as a result of the difficulties faced, depression, OCD, bi-polar.

There has been a link made in females to higher rates of Eating Disorders too..i

ginniebean
04-10-12, 02:51 AM
I can't verify but I have heard there is a link with restless leg syndrome. (for what that's worth) I believe the term is shadow syndromes or something like that.

Hyperman87
04-19-12, 08:48 AM
Yep RLS, Tourette's Syndrome, Alcoholism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Autism, some have even said Lewy-body Dementia,Parkinsons & even Alzheimer's.

Just to point out no in my family has or ever had as far as I know of RLS,Tourette's Syndrome or Parkinson's disease.The rest of em' those like Dyslexia(My mom) Dyspraxia(Me) Alcoholism(Mother's father deceased & My father living), Autism(My Aunt on my dad's side & My Nephew through half sis on mom's side) & Alzheimer's Disease( My Mother's Aunt deceased),Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder(Me & My Father(he doesn't take it seriously) & A another nephew through half-sis on mom's side ). Those are All considered Neurophyisological Disorders.