View Full Version : Scattered Minds on the go 1

MCHAMBERLAND
06-08-03, 09:43 PM
Good book to read.

Scattered Minds: A New Look At The Origins And Healing Of Attention Deficit Disorder
by Gabor MP Mate (Paperback - May 30, 2000)

Find it on Amazon.ca

Manouska

Tara
06-08-03, 09:52 PM
<font face="comic sans ms"size="3"><center><B>Purchase at Amazon<BR><a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0676971458/ref%3Dnosim/addforums-20/" target="_blank">(US)</A><a href="http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0676972594/ref%3Dnosim/livingwitha0c-20/" target="_blank">(Canada)</A>
</center>

missing_cues
06-08-03, 10:06 PM
I think this is my favourite ADD book right now. I have read Healing ADD and driven to distraction as well as Mate's Book all the way through, and the other two, while really helpful, were really difficult to get through...I found Gabor's book more accessible to me and to others with and without ADD. I found that I didnt feel as "different" after reading this book as I do with others...I like his style of writing a lot...I have seen a few interviews with him and he is a great speaker as well...this is just an opinion of the book based on what I have read. anyone esle agree/disagree?

esjaydee
06-10-03, 09:58 PM
I enjoyed the book as well, but I'm not sure I agree with his main premis. It's been a while since I've read it, but it seems to me he was seeing "environment" as the cause of ADD. I believe environment is a main contributor to ones ability to adjust. Growing up in a supportive environment influences ADDers to take advantage of the positive aspects of ADD, while growing up in a negative environment would have more influence on the negative aspects.

That said, I still believe it was an excellent book and well worth reading. The more points of view we are exposed to, the more prepared we are to move forward.

pidderpadder
08-08-03, 10:35 PM
esjaydee, you are mistaken. Mate's premise is that first there is a sensitive brain, the nature part of things, then you have an environment that is not suited for that sensitive brain, and you can arrive at the diagnosis of ADD. It is more of a formula than an either or.

I am really enjoying his book. It is the only one I read like a book, not from beginning to end, but I am reading all the chapters. I use most of the other books like reference books. I look up characteristics and look at research about specific characteristics and look for helpful suggestions in times of distress.

What this book provided that other's haven't was empathy. I needed to hear that someone else knew how effortful my life is. I also needed for someone to talk about the dynamics, especially related to first nature and people pleasing. Learning about counterwill regarding self-talk is also helping me to better understand myself and my motivations. It makes so much sense now, why I might delay eating and other self-care tasks to complete unfinished business that I know others are waiting on.

I can even feel a sense of martyrdom when I 'sacrifice.'
It is really helping me connect the dots between other great books - So I'm not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy, which I am re-reading excerpts of, and now, It's hard to make a difference when you can't find your keys. This one is recommended by Dr. Hallowell. Please forgive any misspellings.

Missing_cues, have you seen that book?