View Full Version : My gratitude thread

standtall
04-07-12, 01:05 AM
I know similar threads exist but I just wanted to talk about things that have worked for me and express my gratitude :)

I was diagnosed with ADHD 8 months ago and was put on Ritalin and later on Concerta 54mg.

For the first time in my life, I was able to finish books, concentrate on completing tasks and to have a meaningful relationship with people in my life. It was a magical experience and I am sure most people here can relate to my feelings. It seemed like I finally had control over my life and I have truly enjoyed every minute of past 8 months.

Fortunately, I was at a point in my career where I had the freedom and flexibility to spend a lot of time learning about my ADHD and then making lifestyle changes. I jumped at the opportunity and have transformed myself completely in the process.

Things I have achieved:

1) Lost 20 pounds of excess weight
2) I finally have some great muscles (for being able to stick to plans)
3) I look 5 years younger in age
4) Great people skills (I discovered that I had a cluttering issue in my speech after being diagnosed - I have overcome that now). I love being able to maintain eye contact and meet strangers without anxiety.
5) A turnaround in my relationships, career, life - I can't be thankful enough
6) Healed hearing loss in one ear

Treatment approaches

1) Medication - nothing works without it but I have been to reduce my dosage from 54mg to 20mg. Thank you Novartis, Thank you J&J.

2) Exercise - Yoga, Running and some strength training. Yoga seems most effective.

3) Biofeedback & Nuerofeedback - Bought a 'Stress Eraser' device and have been trying Nuerofeedback program 'Focus Pocus'.

4) Completed 40 sessions of POSIT Brain Fitness Auditory training program. Most ADHDers are poor listeners and Auditory cortex needs to be retrained. Excellent results - I have developed interest in listening to music for the first time in my life and went from mild hearing loss in one ear to perfect hearing in 2 months.

5) Lumosity.com - went to 95th percentile with huge improvements in working memory.

6) Low carb, high protein diet - I try to follow 'Nourishing Tradition' Price Watson Foundation guidelines.

7) Supplements - Ginko, Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Fish Oil

8) I have been trying to follow mindfulness techniques from UCLA Mindfulness program.

Resources I recommend for everyone diagnosed with ADHD:

1) Dr. Charles Parker's blog and his book - I think biggest factor with ADHD medication is getting the dosage right and I can't recommend Dr. Parker's book enough. He presents a very simple approach and by following his advice I was able to determine my optimal dosage.

2) I would recommend reading Russel Berkley's book on ADHD but he approaches ADHD in a detached, scientific way and his book can come across a bit harsh for newly diagnosed people. He is very blunt and will tell you straight that ADHD is all bad which is unfortunately not an experience everybody shares.

3) Try Dr. Amen's book if you have time but he is more interested in selling you his own supplements - that takes away credibility from some of the stuff he says.

4) Read about brain in general and learn about how you can gauge your own neurotransmitter levels (too much dopamine or too little and how that affects other parts specially interior singulate gyrus etc.) - this is critical from establishing your success indicators.

5) Try to learn more about 'attention/focus' and 'impulsivity' from a scientific point of view and trace your behavior issues back to 'working memory' or 'inhibition' issues. If you can't focus well, you need to work more on improving your working memory and if you are impulsive, try practicing more 'braking' in your daily life by following a routine or a diet.

6) Listen to John Ratey's book 'Spark' - very useful for ADHD patients.

I know this is a very short summary (or may be too long for some of you) but feel free to ask specific questions. My journey is NOT over but I seemed to have made some progress so some of these approaches might have actually worked.

ADHD does a great deal of damage and while doing all the above things takes a lot of patience and 'pain' but wouldn't you do 'anything it takes' to a better life. When I was diagnosed, I was so much relieved and instantly wanted to do everything possible to finally overcome a lifelong obstacle now that I knew what that obstacle actually was.

Remember, you NEED medication to get started and stay on path but medication will NEVER heal your ADHD - it is rest of these lifestyle changes that will ultimately heal your ADHD.

SPECIAL THANKS TO THIS GREAT FORUM - ADDFORUM MADE MY JOURNEY SO MUCH EASIER..

Cheers

Fuzzy12
04-07-12, 06:50 AM
Thanks for sharing. Glad you are doing so much better :)

ana futura
04-26-12, 04:58 PM
Great post, so inspiring!

ConcertaParent
08-06-12, 10:40 AM
Congratulations, you have made a lot of progress only 8 months after diagnosis. Can you give a review of the Focus Pocus program? I am trying to decide which of the many neurofeedback treatments to first try for my child, e.g., Play Attention, HEG, LENS, or Mind Alive's DAVID ALERT.
3) Biofeedback & Nuerofeedback - Bought a 'Stress Eraser' device and have been trying Nuerofeedback program 'Focus Pocus'.
:
feel free to ask specific questions.

standtall
08-15-12, 03:32 AM
Congratulations, you have made a lot of progress only 8 months after diagnosis. Can you give a review of the Focus Pocus program? I am trying to decide which of the many neurofeedback treatments to first try for my child, e.g., Play Attention, HEG, LENS, or Mind Alive's DAVID ALERT.

Thank you and sorry for a late reply.

Focus Pocus is good for money you pay but it is NOT going to make a huge impact on its own. The reason is that it only has 20 or 25 sessions (each session is 15-20 minutes) and this is simply NOT long enough time to train attention.

I have recently tried David machine and while I am still on day 24, it seems to have some potential. If nothing else, it has awaken my sense of smell which was dormant all my life :)

standtall
08-15-12, 03:36 AM
So an update after 3-4 months..

My dosage has gone down to 5mg twice a day of Ritalin - anymore and I get into terrible hyperfocus which means 10mg for the day is good enough dose. Occasionally, I can get off medicine completely and not much of a difference.

My doctor is all but confused - this is NOT what medical reps teach doctors regarding ADHD treatment :)

ConcertaParent
08-16-12, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the useful reply. How many weeks did it take you to complete the 20-25 sessions of Focus Pocus? Isn't the Challenge or Multi-player mode helpful in continuing to improve or apply your attention? Risking only $245 and 7-10 hours of training time at home seems to make it a good choice as a trial of neurofeedback.

Are you using the DAVID ALERT machine that cost $395? The training time of 22 hours over 60 days also seem better than the $5,000+ cost/benefit ratio of travelling to an EEG neurofeedback clinic for at least five months to see if it works for my child. Focus Pocus is good for money you pay but it is NOT going to make a huge impact on its own. The reason is that it only has 20 or 25 sessions (each session is 15-20 minutes) and this is simply NOT long enough time to train attention.

I have recently tried David machine and while I am still on day 24, it seems to have some potential. If nothing else, it has awaken my sense of smell which was dormant all my life :)

ginniebean
08-16-12, 11:24 PM
Are you primarily inattentive?

standtall
08-23-12, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the useful reply. How many weeks did it take you to complete the 20-25 sessions of Focus Pocus? Isn't the Challenge or Multi-player mode helpful in continuing to improve or apply your attention? Risking only $245 and 7-10 hours of training time at home seems to make it a good choice as a trial of neurofeedback.

Are you using the DAVID ALERT machine that cost $395? The training time of 22 hours over 60 days also seem better than the $5,000+ cost/benefit ratio of travelling to an EEG neurofeedback clinic for at least five months to see if it works for my child.

It took 3-4 weeks to complete the program. Once you finish 20+ sessions, then you can play individual games but you don't get reports and you have to create your own session which makes it harder to keep doing the program.

I am not sure why they kept the sessions to such a low number - I think you need to but a new subscription all over again if you want to redo it.

I am using $395 machine. So far so good.

standtall
08-23-12, 06:05 AM
Are you primarily inattentive?

Before diagnosis, I was both hyperactive and inattentive. Now hyperactivity is completely gone but inattentiveness remains to some extent.

ConcertaParent
09-29-12, 08:17 PM
Did you have any problems when first installing the Neurosky EEG headset? I bought the MindWave Mobile headset and it works with my iPod Touch, but does not "pair" with my Windows laptop. I think I may have to buy a Bluetooth card to install inside my laptop. Focus Pocus is not yet available for iOS devices, so I can't buy it yet to try for my child.
It took 3-4 weeks to complete the program.
:
I am using $395 machine. So far so good.

standtall
10-04-12, 01:53 AM
Did you have any problems when first installing the Neurosky EEG headset? I bought the MindWave Mobile headset and it works with my iPod Touch, but does not "pair" with my Windows laptop. I think I may have to buy a Bluetooth card to install inside my laptop. Focus Pocus is not yet available for iOS devices, so I can't buy it yet to try for my child.

Yes .. it took 2-3 hours to figure it out .. I think they have a solution on their website for this very same thing if you look hard