View Full Version : Who actally has been scripted desoxyn?

AddYourAll
04-07-12, 02:17 AM
common, I'm talking atleast 30mg/day, thats 6 pills/180 a month

I've NEVER heard anyone RXED desoxyn; only in the rarest cases and I have many dr friends. I hear from some of you; dex is difficult enough..I know I wouldn't give up 3 adderall ir and 2 dex span, unless I subed the dex for 20mg desoxyn(at least) or if desy made xr.. is it really worth the hassle..the looks from pharmacists, all the bs that comes with desy rx including the dea looking 'closer' at dr ...

tambourine-man
04-07-12, 09:03 AM
I was prescribed 8 5mg tablets per day only a short time ago.

Twiggy
04-07-12, 11:21 AM
I used to take it, but it didn't help with my Adhd symtoms.

tambourine-man
04-07-12, 02:26 PM
It is an excellent medication... but not anything really special. If addicts covet it more it's the name meth they are wanting. They'd be sorely diss appointed.

AddYourAll
04-08-12, 01:04 AM
I find the more knowledgeable the Dr., or the more patients they have treated influences on whether or not they'll be open to 'your' suggestions of medicine. After all, you're the captain.. age, maturity, knowledge of condition, etc... I'm sure have a huge difference on a desy script...I'll admit, I'm very curious to add desy to adderall IR, just don't think it's worth the trouble since corepharma spansules are soo good...I've heard they're the exact same as the amedra? authorixed generic, i think, someone correct if i'm wrong plz

inbetweenshades
04-12-12, 01:01 AM
I've been taking Desoxyn for about a year now. I have severe adult ADD along with PSTD and anxiety disorder.

I took Adderrall for about four years and it worked wonderfully, until the original manufacturer sold out to Teva. After that, they changed the formula, and started using cheap fillers, and suddenly, not only did it stop working for me, but I began to notice a slew of nasty side effects as well. I tried Vyvance, and that was a disaster. I've taken several other things as well, but since most of the current medications out there for ADD are time released, none of them have worked for me. (My body just doesn't seem to know what to do with time released medication of any kind.)
I talked to my doctor about it, and I had heard about Desoxyn from a friend many years ago, so I inquired about it. He told me that he only had one other patient who he prescribed it to, but since he and I have a good relationship and he trusts me, he agreed to let me give it a go.
At first, it didn't seem to be helping all that much, but I was taking a pretty low dose due to the cost. I have state insurance and they wouldn't cover it, so $400-$600 was impossible for me.
My doctor explained that if we created a new paper trail, meaning that I had to suffer for several months with the new Adderrall again, and then the Vyvance again, there was a decent chance that the state would eventually agree to pay for it. So that is what we did.
Luckily, it worked.
However, a few months after I had finally been able to take the increased dose, I realized that I still didn't feel "right."
I had another chat with my doctor, and he agreed to write me two scripts, one for the Desoxyn, and one for Dexadrine. The state won't pay for both, so I have been paying for the Dexadrine myself.

Of course, like most people, I went through a period of not being able to find the Dexadrine, so I was back to just the Desoxyn starting last November. (Or maybe it was even October, I can't remember now.. *shock*)
Anyway, I finally found it again last month, and started back on my old regimen of 5 milligrams of Dexadrine and 5 milligrams of Desoxyn in the morning, and then another 5 milligrams of Desoxyn in the afternoon.

(That is actually a pretty lose dose, and my doctor prescribes more of both for me, but if I take any more than that, I start to feel like I'm on street drugs.)

But I started noticing the same side effects that I was experiencing with the Adderrall this week, and it was then that I realized that my Dexadrine is manufactered by none other than Teva. I stopped taking the Dexadrine again today.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that while the Desoxyn does help somewhat, it just isn't what Adderrall was, and now I am looking for something else. Again.

Basically, what I'm saying is that while of course everyone is different, if you really want to try Desoxyn, you should be able to get a doctor to write it for you if nothing else has worked. (And you can prove it.) But don't expect it to be easy.
People in general seem to have the notion that Desoxyn is nothing more than pharmaceutical Meth, (which it is, I suppose, but not like the stuff on the streets, which is what they think,) and it is difficult to get a prescription for, and even more so to find a pharmacy that actually carries it.

All of that, plus the expense, is something to seriously consider before attempting to get a prescription.
Be that as it may, if nothing else seems to help you, it might be worth a shot, if you can stand the hassle.

Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps. ;)

AddYourAll
04-12-12, 08:04 PM
I just found a mom and pop pharmacy that carries corepharma dexedrine spansules..might want to give them a shot. their(corepharma) subsidiery bought the original formulation/marketing from glaxoSmithKline.I know corepharmas adderall sucks but I have a goog feeling about their new spansules that are starting to be distributed this year, still hard to find..I need a kick being inattentive the barr adderall 20mgir is up my ally. I've been on barr dex in afternoon and evenings- okay for me.. i don't think desoxyn would be worth the hassle even thou i'm close w dr and trust is there..it's bc I take high dosage that I think I wouldn't ever ask. when u r the dr friend and age, getting rxed certain drug is different than a high schooler. out of curiousity, I still wonder but I believe adderall ir is much more abusable. good luck and try to order the corepharma-pic is on their site, good looking generic not that means much

inbetweenshades
04-13-12, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the information. :)
I called around yesterday to try to find out if anyone other than Teva made Dexadrine, and Wallgreens would only tell me that they had the Barr brand in stock. The wouldn't say if anyone else made it. Obviously, I know that Teva does though.
I hated Barr as much as I did Teva, at least in so far as the Adderral goes, (and Valium) so I didn't bother filling it today.
The pharmacy that I fill my Desoxyn at didn't have any Dexadrine in stock at all, and the pharmacist told me that considering how difficult it is to get it in any brand, it wasn't a medication that anyone could be picky about as far as who makes it.

Like I said, I didn't even bother trying to fill that script today, but I may look into a few more pharmacy's and see what else, if anything, is available.

As to your question with regards to people abusing it, I suppose an addict would be happy to try, but honestly, I don't get a "rush" off of it, so I don't think recreational users would like it as much as other more readily available medications in it's class.

Freeflow918
04-15-12, 03:52 PM
I take 5mg of generic by mylan. Works well but I need a higher dose use to be on 15mg adderall. I take 5mg lexapro magnesium multivitamin no dairy products, exercise, cold showers and have been doing well. My doctor won't up the dose afraid of addiction I can only take it another month. Adderall xR was way dirtier high feeling. Desoxyn really no side effects. I'm glad my doc has my best interest in mind.

tambourine-man
04-17-12, 04:02 AM
Closed mouths don't get fed.

tambourine-man
04-17-12, 11:05 PM
I would encourage anyone interested in to print out my Desoxyn journal and the links contained therein and take them to their doctors. Education can help reduce the stigma. The more doctors are aware of it and comfortable prescribing it the more people will have access to it. Maybe then it would become available in reasonable dosing strengths. We might even see the return of Desoxyn Gradumet which may even be superior to brand name Dexrdrine Spansules.

Spread the word! Knowledge is power!

Dagamus(NM)
04-18-12, 12:14 PM
Mail order pharmacy is great for desoxyn. I had run-ins with a few lousy pharmacists. CVS pharmacists are great but $40 a month co-pay had me switch to three month script for $80 through express scripts.

Too bad the generic is all but non-existent as it would only be $10 for three months.

I am still happy as I have had long periods of my life without insurance. $80 for 375 brand name pills isn't bad. At this level it is actually cheaper than the stuff on the street. Not like I would ever go there as a responsible adult but just one of the useless arithmatic calculations I tend to obsess about.

escott
04-22-12, 12:49 AM
I was prescribed desoxyn the problem is you usually have to order them.

chris44
07-14-12, 05:05 AM
I am prescribed 2 5mg tablets of Desoxyn a day ontop of 30mg Adderall IR and 150mg Wellbutrin 24h XR. All are generics.

I did not have to try ALL of the methylphenidates, though I have tried all the amphetamines besides Vyvanse which is pricier than the generic Desoxyn tablets in addition to Straterra and Wellbutrin (which was only effective in treating Depression, not ADHD symptoms). I personally had such an awful childhood on Concert and Ritalin (Strattera too with only, though fewer, ill-effects) that all methylphenidates are not options (depersonalization, disassociation, complete appetite loss, and total apathy were some of the always-present side effects). You know, the usual over-medicated hell of being a child that is incapable of understanding and explaining how exactly the medicine 'feels'.

There are so many different medications out nowadays but I would say Focalin and Concerta/Ritalin are all you need to try in the Methylphenidate category (after starting on Strattera, of course) before you move on to the amphetamines, though you might stop and try Wellbutrin beforehand. I see the patches and all that as a waste of time unless methylphenidates work for you and you simply need a different route of medication delivery. Some doctors have an aversion to amphetamines. I know that there is a psychiatrist in my area that is reluctant to prescribe Adderall XR (and will not prescribe other amphetamines asside from Vyvanse).

Intuniv and Vyvanse are beyond the price range of many of us, and those I know that have been on both of them (I've never tried them due to cost) all report the Vyvanse causing depression DURING the time in which it is supposed to be active, while Intuniv caused a wide variety of minor psychical side effects and no improvement (these were 4 friends total). I don't really see the purpose of Vyvanse, honestly. It's cost cannot justify a drug that's only selling points over dexedrine spansules are a slightlier steady metabolism of dose and once a day dosing. The reduce in abuse potential is in no way worth an extra $400 either. The only 'decrease' is it's inability to be crushed up and snorted to get high, unlike the beads in Dexedrine Spansules (this is not from first hand experience; I have never snorted my medication). A simple google search will make it clear that Vyvanse is VERY abusable; abusers just pop more pills! Vyvanse also seems to have higher occurances of certain side effects than Dexedrine Spansules (such as depression).

As for Intuniv, the last time I looked into it it seemed like it had many common side effects and didn't have any effectiveness that stood it out from the crowd.

So long as you have tried AND FOUND INEFFECTIVE AND/OR RIDDLED WITH SIDE EFFECTS

(in what I would guess is a common order) Straterra -> Ritalin/Concerta -> Focalin -> ?Wellbutrin? -> Adderall IR/XR -> Dextrostat IR/XR

THEN you can justify a Desoxyn prescription. Some doctors have no problem with it and may use it as even a second-line treatment, some refuse to prescribe it period, and some may only prescribe very low doses. It varies from area to area. In my area, despite me having the only prescription in town, all the pharmacies I called (which all would have had to order it as none of them stocked it) gave me no trouble whatsoever and all seemed to be aware of its use as a medicine (all knew Desoxyn = Methamphetamine off of the top of their heads). My psychiatrist never even knew of Desoxyn's existing as a medication (never prescribed it or was asked to in his entire 20ish year career, though he is a pediatric 6-18yo, higher if they were with him before 19, psychiatrist) and had to spend several minutes putting it into his electronic prescription system. He had no idea what to expect from it and just switched my Dextrostat/Dexedrine 10mg IR doses (hit by shortage) to 5mg Desoxyn (generic) doses and pushed the 4pm dosing to 5pm. His commentary was along the lines of "it's closer to the street drug, but people snort that".

Oh, and I ended up ordering it at Walgreens. Mylan generic. 60 5mg tabs for $36 (insurance covered $202). I dropped it off on Saturday, it was ordered Monday (their supplier, at least in my area, does not ship until then, as is the same with all other pharmacies in my area), and it came in Wednesday. Picked it up on Thursday. They look like little breath-mints, very much like altoids, with the number "115" stamped ontop of them (though they do taste bad if chewed).

inbetweenshades
07-15-12, 12:57 PM
So long as you have tried AND FOUND INEFFECTIVE AND/OR RIDDLED WITH SIDE EFFECTS
(in what I would guess is a common order) Straterra -> Ritalin/Concerta -> Focalin -> ?Wellbutrin? -> Adderall IR/XR -> Dextrostat IR/XR
THEN you can justify a Desoxyn prescription.

I believe that statement is correct, but I find it sad just the same.
Having taken Desoxyn for a couple of years now, (give or take a few months) I know for a fact that when taken as directed and not abused, it is actually far less of a "drug" than just about everything else on the market. Yes, it works, but it is so subtle that unless you are really paying attention, (or like me, set an alarm,) when it wears off you don't even notice until you are half asleep.

I have never tried to actually "get high" on it, so I really can't speak for it's potential abuse factor for people who are determined to do so, but I can say that a person would have to take more than the prescribed dose to do it, and considering the price, I can't imagine why anyone who was simply looking to get high would choose Desoxyn over what they get on the street.

Having said that, the reason that I find your statement sad is because so many doctors see Desoxyn is such a poor light, and a lot of patients who struggle with ADD and could benefit from Desoxyn will probably never be given the chance.
I don't think that Desoxyn should be a "last" choice medication, prescribed only after patients have truly suffered through a myriad of other medications needlessly.
But of course, I don't make the rules, and as far as I know, that is still pretty much the way of it. I had to do it as well.

On a slightly different subject..
As for Intuniv, the last time I looked into it it seemed like it had many common side effects and didn't have any effectiveness that stood it out from the crowd.
My daughter was prescribed this medication a few months back. I looked it up online, read the possible side effects, and blew it off, at first. Then I decided to ask my pharmacist about it, since I had a starter pack anyway, and my daughter hasn't been able to take anything for her ADHD symptoms for several years now due to a plethora of side effects brought on by any/all of them. It turns out that this medication is not new at all, but was used as a blood pressure lowering medication in adults for years before it was tested for children.
After I learned that, I decided to give it a try.
As far as I can tell, and from what my daughter has told me, it doesn't do much for attention or memory, but it DOES calm her down.
We haven't noticed any side effects yet, so if hyperactivity is a real problem for anyone, I would suggest trying Intuniv before an anti-depressant.

Best of luck to everyone. ;)

Phillywilly
07-22-12, 01:15 AM
I would encourage anyone interested in to print out my Desoxyn journal and the links contained therein and take them to their doctors. Education can help reduce the stigma. The more doctors are aware of it and comfortable prescribing it the more people will have access to it. Maybe then it would become available in reasonable dosing strengths. We might even see the return of Desoxyn Gradumet which may even be superior to brand name Dexrdrine Spansules.

Spread the word! Knowledge is power!

Sweeet!!!:):):)

Where can I find the journals??

twinch42085
08-08-12, 12:04 AM
I had read about the scrutiny towards desoxyn. In March of 2011 when I went in for my routine checkup with my Family Doctor, I kindly suggested if I could try desoxyn since the previous stimulants that we had tried did not provide therapeutic results. He very kindly wrote a script for generic desoxyn without any hesitation. I was to take 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon.

As others have posted. The term "Meth" that is associated with desoxyn is nothing more than an illusion of those who crave the drug "Meth".

Personally the desoxyn made me want to sleep. Ultimately I was back in my family doctors office by the end of the week with my desoxyn bottle pleading to be switch to something else.

He gave me 40mg of dexedrine IR tablets.

My experience with desoxyn now allows me to tell others that for some individuals it is just not meant to work as well as other stimulants do.

tambourine-man
08-08-12, 02:20 PM
I had read about the scrutiny towards desoxyn. In March of 2011 when I went in for my routine checkup with my Family Doctor, I kindly suggested if I could try desoxyn since the previous stimulants that we had tried did not provide therapeutic results. He very kindly wrote a script for generic desoxyn without any hesitation. I was to take 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon.

As others have posted. The term "Meth" that is associated with desoxyn is nothing more than an illusion of those who crave the drug "Meth".

Personally the desoxyn made me want to sleep. Ultimately I was back in my family doctors office by the end of the week with my desoxyn bottle pleading to be switch to something else.

He gave me 40mg of dexedrine IR tablets.

My experience with desoxyn now allows me to tell others that for some individuals it is just not meant to work as well as other stimulants do.

I agree. Desoxyn may be the best ADHD med but the ironic thing is you need a HIGHER dose of Desoxyn than Adderall or Dexedrine to see therapeutic results. Plus it only comes in 5mg tabs. Doctors will naturally prescribe the lowest amount of Desoxyn possible, thinking it to be far more potent. I think Dexedrine is the most potent. Now, 20mg of Desoxyn at a time is stellar but it will get you 5 hours at most. Docs just won't prescribe enough of this to get you through the day and who wants to take 8 pills or more?

tambourine-man
08-08-12, 02:23 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113344

There's definitely a honeymoon phase where it's very refreshing, but then the cost, dosing difficulties and dealing with paranoid doctors makes it a big headache. If they had 15mg scored tabs that were as easily obtained as Adderall or Dexedrine I'd be on Desoxyn. But they don't. Tough but that's life.

araisbec
08-16-12, 02:58 PM
I will probably get flamed for this (don't you love it when you have to start posts with this?)...

In my youthful and adventurous past, I in essence became a young Hunter S. Thomson for a period of time. I experiemented with any recreational drug you can possibly think of (and many obscure ones which you have never heard of). I was after the experience, and my curiosity had to be fullfilled. Needless to say, I definitely fullfilled it, and (thank god) with no percievable ramifications.

Where is this going? Out of every drug that I tried, the two that I found to have the most therapeutic value were hands down MDMA, as well as Methamphetamine. MDMA is not relevent to this thread, however the latter obviously is. In sparing dosages (comparable to desoxyn), I found methamphetamine to have the same profile of positives as D-Amphetamine (comparing to Dexedrine IR), but simply to a greater extent. My focus was razor sharp, mood was elevated, social anxiety gone, etc. I also noted an extreme lack of side effects. What I found most amazing was how low the level of peripheral stimulation was with meth, while it's central activity was unparalelled.

I believe that methamphetamine is hands down the most effective treatment for ADHD (at least, it was very effective for me). The only reasons I would not use it again are:

- Risk of addiction: I was not using high doses, but the confidence and euphoria it gave me was pretty pronounced. This is definitely not ideal for a regular medication, as euphoria often lends itself to abuse (think, painkillers)...

- Longterm side effects: I actually believe that methamphetamine is likely milder on the body in the long run then amphetamine (less peripheral stimulation), however it may be more neurotoxic... I believe dopamine releasers tend to lend themselves to neurotoxicity, and meth is one hell of a releaser...

And lastly, that stage in my life is thankfully behind me. I am now happily medicated with concerta, and in no way endorse self-medication or recreational drug use.

Altair
11-26-12, 02:42 PM
I have it and i like it. I take it as for most days. sometimes 20mg sometimes 30 it all depends. My pharmacy did not carry yet. So i ordered them myself the brand name. They came in 2 days. The pill is wonderful not many side effects. Although at 15mg higher it does cause euphoria at least for me.

VOltaire
01-19-13, 03:58 PM
Over rated, over hyped, overpriced HCL in my experience at lower doses 20-25 mg it doesn't even come close to the theraputic doses of dextroamphetamine ir at higher doses35-40mg I'm off my freaking face talking to everyone in the neighborhood while playing a guitar with no strings! Bear in mine I take 60 mg of IR spread out 3 times a day.
Not to mention IPractically needed a handful of seconal to fall asleep at night!!!
Powerful stuff I'll give it that but beneficial at believe or not I really don.t enjoy euphoria or being buzzed from somethimg that is supposed to be theraputic! I could have outran Carl Lewis on that stuff!

Oznog16
01-30-13, 03:19 PM

I've NEVER heard anyone RXED desoxyn; only in the rarest cases and I have many dr friends. I hear from some of you; dex is difficult enough..I know I wouldn't give up 3 adderall ir and 2 dex span, unless I subed the dex for 20mg desoxyn(at least) or if desy made xr.. is it really worth the hassle..the looks from pharmacists, all the bs that comes with desy rx including the dea looking 'closer' at dr ...

I am prescribed 5mg Desoxyn 8 per day 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon (240 per month). My insurance pays for it but I must pay 2 dollars and 60 cents per prescription filled. My pharmacist must order it upon my presenting the prescription each month as my doctor will not write refills and the pharmacist will not keep it in stock because I am the only person he knows that gets it and he told me yesterday that it is almost an 800 buck order.

I was a bit apprehensive about taking it but after a lifetime on Adderall and Ritalin and maxing out the recommended dosage the desoxyn was like a godsend! The ills were smaller and easier to take (I have a hard time swallowing pills) I don't have any trouble sleeping and I don't feel the same jagged edge I did on the adderall.

The one and only thing I don't like about it is I get the generic version due to insurance coverage and the bottle has "METHANPHETAMINE" written across the front. It makes me fell like I am a bad person for getting it but is the best medication I have found for me personally.

Vito, ADDer
03-11-13, 09:47 PM

I've NEVER heard anyone RXED desoxyn...
Well you've heard of someone now, brother AddYourAll. My doc prescribed Desoxyn (5 mg. every 2-3 hours, up to 8x per day) as one of the meds I tried 14 years ago when I was first trying to figure out what was the most effective treatment for my ADD symptoms. I don't remember exactly how long I took it, but it was long enough to give it a fair trial, and to know that it was (for me) an effective treatment.

As it turned out, I found dextroamphetamine to be a better medication for me, but that in no way should be interpreted as deprecating the effectiveness of methamphetamine, which might work perfectly well for others. Everyone is different, after all.

I took Desoxyn again (...well, the generic equivalent thereof, actually) last year when the dex shortage was in full swing, and there was no generic dex available anywhere. (Dexedrine™ Spansules were available, but a 90-day supply of Spansules would have cost me $4,600 at last year's prices. No way, José...) I took the Desoxyn for about a month at that time, and then I was able to find some generic dex tabs, so I discontinued it.

There was never any problem with my doctor as far as the prescription goes. But I found that there was a huge difference in attitude on the part of the pharmacies in the interim between 1999 and 2012, wherein the 2012 mentality was generally characterized by enormous prejudice against methamphetamine medication. To wit:

Some pharmacists claimed they couldn't order it (...I still don't believe them).

Others said they wouldn't order it because it involved more paperwork and more regulatory scrutiny than they wanted to handled (...I can believe that).

Others wouldn't even tell me whether they could order it unless I brought them the prescription and waited 3 days, after which they would tell me whether their supplier could provide it. (No thanks.)

A couple of others actually lectured me about using "dangerous drugs" (...I demonstrated remarkable restraint in not inviting them to perform biologically improbable acts on themselves... :D ).

If the mentality I found last year is typical (and I don't imagine it has changed for the better since then), I think it's probably not much of a stretch to imagine that before long methamphetamine HCl will be an extinct medication. If so, it's a damnable shame that such hysterical, self-righteous, sanctimonious paranoia bordering on superstition can drive a perfectly useful and beneficial medication (when responsibly prescribed) out of existence.

The human species deludes itself into believing it's "enlightened", but sometimes I swear that far too many of my fellow humanoids are still living in the dark ages. :(

ILADHD
04-30-13, 01:12 PM
I tried it. Doesn't work as well as Adderall for me. The reason it's not prescribed more for ADHD is that it simply doesn't work as well for ADHD as other amphetamines.

Blanched Dubois
04-30-13, 02:18 PM
Got past the anxiety and called pharm where i dropped of a 2 week prescript for 5mg Desoxyn to try for severe adhd here in Florida - the pharm never called me back so a week later i call
he says nope, can't get it - won't elaborate. I asked him to please put it and i will retrieve after speaking to my pdoc.

Finding out that this area is abused so pharms won't carry it or adderall and it's hit or miss to find out who will carry it and who can but refuses to carry it to avoid being ....used and abused?

I'm confused but accepting it.

They also don't have dexedrine ir or spansules for same reason

i have too much stress and no adhd med now cus vyvanse didn't work properly for me - only got me moving but not organized or slowed down enough.

This area is not good for me. I'm going to employ my hubby's motto
Adapt Improvise Overcome

and see about working with the right med compound but admit i'm unable to study cus the add is too bad now

I don't use pain pills for the stenosis in neck or arthritis in spine supported by MRI and Catscans and part of my perm disability status

very very tired...2 yrs trying....and handling kids stress ....can't handle socializing still

does it ever get better?

sarahsweets
05-01-13, 04:40 AM
2wisehands: Can you find another pharmacy farther away? It doesnt add up for me, that just because the meds are abused in your area that they wont carry them. Is this a chain pharmacy? If it is I would call their corporate office. I cant imagine that a chain pharmacy would be ok with the pharmacist deciding not to order certain meds just because they are abused. You arent the drug abuser. What about someone with cancer? Would they not get proper pain meds because your area is prone to abusing them?

Blanched Dubois
05-01-13, 07:05 AM
That pharm at CVS wouldn't tell me anything and i waited a week. Didn't try to fill anywhere else. He can get them as per nice Indian Pharm and Dr's research but nope he just stonewalled me.

The overwhelm and fight for all these years for everything is making me too tired.

I'll try to find their HQ i guess...another pharm said i'd have to bring in my med file and they'd think about it.

I'm sick of it all. Gotta wait till 11 to get to pdoc and i'm ****** off and hate my life with this

Vito, ADDer
05-01-13, 01:43 PM
That pharm at CVS wouldn't tell me anything and i waited a week...
Hi 2wisehands:

You can call the CVS corporate office, but I suspect it will be an exercise in frustration. The kind of stonewalling you experienced in Florida is exactly the kind of stonewalling I got from the CVS pharmacy I called here in California.

The important thing to realize is that the prejudice again methamphetamine (which is Desoxyn's active ingredient) is not a "local area" problem. The drug is regulated at the Federal level. The paperwork and other regulatory hoops that all U.S. pharmacies must jump through just to handle the medication imposes a high transaction cost and a burden of regulatory scrutiny that, in my experience, most retailers are unwilling to accept. So, you may disabuse yourself of the illusion that it's a "local area" thing. There might be some additional prejudice locally, but there is an underlying antagonism toward methamphetamine that exists on a national level. It's just a fact.

In my previous post in this thread, I mentioned that there were some pharmacies that "...wouldn't even tell me whether they could order it unless I brought them the prescription and waited 3 days, after which they would tell me whether their supplier could provide it." CVS was one of those. Whether that's a corporate policy or a degree of flexibility that the corporation allows the individual pharmacies to determine for themselves is irrelevant. The policy is what it is, and trying to force the issue at the corporate level is only going to end up costing me more time, money, aggravation, and hostility here at the local level.

And CVS is not the only chain that makes it difficult to obtain methamphetamine. Wal-Mart flat out refused to order it. They said, "We can't order it", but the person who told me that said it so quickly and so emphatically that I immediately suspected I was getting the brush-off. (Frankly, I didn't believe her.) Upon further questioning, I managed to tease out enough clues to tell me that she just didn't want the hassle of ordering it and filing all the paperwork. In any case, I realized I had no hope of getting the prescription filled there. She's on salary...meaning, she gets paid the same amount for doing what's easy as for doing what's difficult and troublesome. She has no incentive to pick the difficult and more troublesome course. The corporation doesn't care either. They make their money selling medications that are in greater demand, and that have little or no regulatory burden attached.

I ended up getting my methamphetamine prescription filled at Costco, where they simply told me "Yes, we can order it" and quoted me a price over the phone. Contrast that result with another pharmacy (Sav-On), where the arrogant and sanctimonious twit on the other end of the phone thought it was her place to lecture me about "taking such dangerous drugs". So you see, the prejudice is not confined to your area.

As for the effectiveness of methamphetamine, there is no way to tell whether it will work for you until you try it. You will find posts on these forums by individuals who found it to be very effective. Although I've found dextroamphetamine to be the better choice for me, there is no question that methamphetamine provided effective treatment for my ADD symptoms. I suspect that the reason it's not prescribed more often has a great deal more to do with the kind of prejudice we've both experienced than with any rigorous and extensive statistical data concerning its effectiveness in the treatment of ADD.

You might try approaching it from the manufacturing side rather than the retail side. For example, the methamphetamine supplied by Costco here in California is manufactured by Mylan. Last time I checked, Mallinckrodt also manufactured it, and I have found that the folks at Mallinckrodt have been helpful in the past in locating pharmacies in my area that carry their products. Some companies are happy to respond to a "Please help!" message from a prospective customer.

I understand your frustration in trying to find the medication. I've been through it. In my experience, it is useless to try to persuade those who throw obstacles in your path right from the start. You just have to move on and keep trying until you find someone reasonable. "Can you help me find a medication that my doctor has prescribed?" is good starter, because it conveys the image that you're not just some crazed speed freak looking to get a buzz...which apparently is the stigma that is attached to the medication. But it's a cultural thing, not just a "local" thing...and there are pharmacies that will order the medication. You just have to find them.

I hope that's of some help. Good luck!

Blanched Dubois
05-01-13, 01:53 PM
My desoxyn experience and my findings;

CVS can order - dropped off script for 2 week trial- a week later told no got..no explanation.

saw pdoc today and he's adept with add/ptsd etc- told him what occurred and that i'd left the script at CVS ...so he called and was told what pharm refused to tell me

they ran out on April 7th their allottment - pdoc told them to shred it

issued me focalin xr 20mg - and 2 other scripts for rest of issues not treated for years

Not sure if it's just this area but my only hope is that the focalin works like or is better than desoxyn being smooth, without the edgy etc side effects that i get on add meds i've tried ( adderall, dex, etc etc ) but i had given up on meds till the perfect storm hit my life

forced me to deal with it all

hope this helps or clarifies...oh and i was told by CVS HQ pharms don't have to fill Dr scripts at their discretion

trying not to be indignant by CVS pharm cus he could have filled it this week...but didn't bother verifying me or my Dr and my history of no abuse of meds

thanks to those here who help so much u may not know ur saving lives of folks treated or shall i say mis treated for years

almost gave up hope but for this forum

inbetweenshades
05-02-13, 01:19 PM
While I agree with what pretty much everyone else has already said in regards to getting a prescription filled for Desoxyn, I may be able to add some useful information.
Living in what was recently, statistically announced to be the "meth capitol" of the United States, it probably goes without saying that having any sort of script filled for any ADHD drug can be tricky at best. With Desoxyn, it's almost impossible.
Almost.
As if the stigma for the drug itself isn't bad enough, pharmacies are constantly being robbed here, (though for painkillers, mainly,) so most of them refuse to carry it at all. I can't really say that I blame them in that particular regard. And for whatever reason, Wallgreens and CVS seem to get hit the most often. Possibly due to the fact that they tend to be open later.
However, I have been getting mine filled with no problem at all for several years now at a pharmacy which is not only NOT a chain, but is actually located inside a hospital. Technically, it is an apothecary shoppe, but they order pharmaceuticals as well. I suspect the reason that they aren't reluctant to do so is because obviously, being located inside a hospital, they have 24/7 security. Not just cameras, but actual police officers on duty somewhere inside the building at all times.
I say that because I mentioned to the pharmacist once how difficult it was to obtain my prescription, and how sad I thought it was that so many "professionals" were so opinionated and in many cases, downright nasty about it. He agreed with me, but he also pointed out what I just stated above, and said that was probably a factor. And it makes sense.

In light of that, you may want to try finding a pharmacy located inside a hospital building. You may find that you have much better luck.
I hope that helps. ;)

Since I haven't posted here in awhile, I will update everyone who is interested in this medication on my own personal experience with it. It came to my attention some months ago that long term use of Desoxyn can suppress the brains ability to produce serotonin, leading to depression. I also found that it simply wasn't working for me as well as it had been. Of course, the latter can be true for any medication prescribed for ADHD. I have tried all of them, but the only two that I personally have ever had any luck with are Desoxyn and Adderall. When I was first diagnosed, about nine years ago now, I started taking Adderall and was perfectly content with it until they changed the formula. (To this day, I refuse to touch Adderall unless it is made by Sandoz.)
Anyway, I asked my doctor if he would be wiling to write me a script for Adderall so that I could try switching it around a bit. Maybe take one for a week, then switch to the other, and so on. Obviously, he had to be careful doing that to avoid any license issues for himself, but he trusts me, and he agreed. He wrote me a secondary prescription for the Adderall, but at a lower dose. Ten milligram pills instead of my usual thirty. At first, I thought that was ridiculous, but I didn't think I was in any sort of position to complain, all things considered, so I happily took the prescription and had it filled. To my surprise, taking two in the morning and one in the afternoon seems to work pretty well for me. If I have an unusually long day, I will take two in the afternoon.
When that seems to stop working as effectively, I switch back to the Desoxyn. (Same number of pills, though the milligrams are different.)

Neither works as well as the original Adderall did, which I find endlessly frustrating, but there isn't anything to be done for that, obviously.

The problem with the Desoxyn, (for me,) I believe is that since I don't have the hyperactivity often associated with ADHD, the pills don't have the calming effect on me physically that they do for people who do. So, in order to get the mental focus that I require, I have to take more than my body can handle, and I end up feeling high and "speedy." I don't want or need that, so I have to stay with a lower dose. But it is still better than nothing. If it wasn't for that, I think the Desoxyn might actually be better than Adderall was, because it is smoother. I don't get agitated when it leaves my system the way I tend to do with Adderall.
I tried taking one of each for my morning dose, but that didn't go well. My brain function was much better than it had been in years, but my body was not happy with me. So be it. For now, I am sticking with this back and forth thing, and it seems to be working okay. The depression is gone, and every time I switch the medications, I feel somewhat focused again.

Everyone is different of course, but maybe my experience can be of some help to someone.
:)

Blanched Dubois
05-03-13, 10:14 AM
Yes. I found a pharm who can and will order Desoxyn for me 100 count 5mg but 'it's expensive' ...i have to bill insurance who will eventually reimburse

returning focalin xr to pdoc and getting next trial of Dex ir - then might try to fill it at the pharm i used to go to after surgery...if they don't have it - gotta drive further away to pharm who may have it or will order for me

house a mess, can't think, or sit still - getting sleep finally...from other meds finally given

this process is what's making my overwhelm / trauma symptoms worse though...my kid - poor guy - if i could send him to cousin or loved one i would have already - he said this is worse and before at least you weren't always agitated....

got anxiety med....and enough will left to keep this in perspective...if i stay off meds i do only what i can - housework, but can't handle the paperwork/claims/impt business

i can only crack jokes about 'it all' ...in my head....to cope....at the end of the day i am in bed, isolating, no quality or life ...at all....subsisting...

this is just how it goes till one finds a balance of sorts....so pdoc when he gets in his office anytime in the next hour is going to write me script/s ....i just wish i could bypass the whole getting them filled process

i can cope in my home...solution? just keep telling self - you can do it...keep breathing...don't over dramatize....and remember i'm worth it and kid is worth it.

stanses
05-05-13, 07:50 PM
I had the desoxyn for about a year and it worked well; with very little side effects. The only reasons I had to quit taking it we're that it was too expensive; due to the fact that it was only Available in 5mg tabs. I take dex now; and that works excellent for me. Also for desoxyn I had to bring a print out of the prescribing info, and find a pharmacy w/ a pharmacist who was willing to order it. It was so expensive though..... eishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

stanses
05-05-13, 08:01 PM
yeah pharmacist who would discriminate due to the fact that the bottle says methamphetamine. shows how stupid most people are, as Adderall dextroamphetamine simple means "combination of" (multiple) amphetamines; but they just missed the amphetamine part due to the fact it has "dextro" in front of it.

tambourine-man
05-11-13, 06:36 AM
Desoxyn is a lovely, wonderful, utterly perfect pain in the ***!!! Too many hoops to jump through. I gave up.

Blanched Dubois
05-11-13, 09:33 AM
T-Man, i got a pdoc willing to write me script , pharm to fill it, cash to pay and reimbursal by dead hubbys VET healthcare insurance....and it's the tip of the symptom ice-berg.

Your journal is how i found this forum, so thank you. Much respect. We all have so many invalidated 'other' stories - i'm just doing my best to seek the proper clinician to treat my son and I for the 'other co-existing' et al.

Fight of my life. Non stop research daily, in moderation - tho aware i'm obsessed as i feel i'm finally on to the pivotal 'clue' to get more healing from proper MD. or LLMD. in our case....let alone 'good' therapy for ptsd and pdocs worth the cash outlay lol

anyhow this song is how i feel right now heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyte8X8SDc

Parterxred
05-11-13, 02:37 PM
I have been wondering this myself. Other Amphetamines have proven effective for my personal case, but I have an intellectual fascination with the therapeutic aspects of methamphetamine hydrochloride. In my corner of the world, Desoxyn and other brand names of this compound are virtually unheard of. I have observed this in the medical community and the general population. When worded as Desoxyn this compound generates indifference or curiosity. Phrasing it as methamphetamine hydrochloride stimulates alarm once I have said the meth prefix. I'm not sure if this post is placed in the right forum, but I would like to know more about this compound from those who have experienced it.

Blanched Dubois
05-13-13, 04:12 PM
my insurance covers it - pharm says he'll order it but i'd have to buy 100 count and i assume he would dole out to me as per my script?

Anyone know about this? Also if I have a script for Dex ir can I ask pharm to get specific manufacturer?

Avoided this for years...now i remember why, thanks

inbetweenshades
05-14-13, 09:48 AM
Blanch, I suspect the pharmacist wants you to order 100 count because he is ordering it only for you, and that is how he has to order it from the manufacturer. However, unless your doctor is willing to write it for exactly that much, you will only be allowed to pick up however much he wrote it for. And it sounds like the pharmacist isn't willing to order it unless you WILL be buying that much. The good news is that it's usually cheaper for you as well, to buy in bulk.
On the other end of that, if he wrote you for more, but not at least 200, it sounds like you will only get the 100 that the pharmacist orders. Unlike with most other scripts, you can't pick up a few at a time from the pharmacy and have them hold the rest, due the classification of the drug.
You may want to check my facts on all of that since you live in a different state than I do, but I suspect that is the deal.
(I hope that made sense, as I only just woke up a short while ago.) :rolleyes:

As for your second question, yes, you can request a specific brand. Not all pharmacies will order it for you, but you can absolutely take your business elsewhere if they will not. I always call ahead when filling Adderall, and if the pharmacy doesn't have Sandoz, or refuses to say, I tell them never mind, and go somewhere else. Don't let anyone force you to pay for and take something that you don't want or need! In my experience, most pharmacists will try to tell you that all the generics are the same, but that is simply not true.

The FDA only monitors the "active" ingredients in pharmaceuticals, not the "inactive" ones, and that DOES, or at least can, make a huge difference. Any pharmacist who tells you otherwise is either lying to you, or doesn't know much about his own profession, and in either case, in my opinion, you are better off going somewhere else.

I've been lucky over the last few months in that the pharmacy where I get my Desoxyn filled happens to carry the Sandoz brand Adderall too, but I pay through the nose for it. I don't know when Adderral got so expensive, but it did. I'm not sure about the Dex, as I haven't taken it in quite a long time.
Lastly, I haven't notice much of a difference between brand name Desoxyn and any generic, but that may just be me. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price either though, ($80.00 less maybe on a $600.00-$700.00 script,) so as far as the Desoxyn goes, I would just take it where I could get it. Again, you should double check that locally though.

Best of luck to you, and I'm glad that you found a pharmacy! ;)

Blanched Dubois
05-14-13, 11:19 AM
Blanch, I suspect the pharmacist wants you to order 100 count because he is ordering it only for you, and that is how he has to order it from the manufacturer. However, unless your doctor is willing to write it for exactly that much, you will only be allowed to pick up however much he wrote it for. And it sounds like the pharmacist isn't willing to order it unless you WILL be buying that much. The good news is that it's usually cheaper for you as well, to buy in bulk.
On the other end of that, if he wrote you for more, but not at least 200, it sounds like you will only get the 100 that the pharmacist orders. Unlike with most other scripts, you can't pick up a few at a time from the pharmacy and have them hold the rest, due the classification of the drug.
You may want to check my facts on all of that since you live in a different state than I do, but I suspect that is the deal.
(I hope that made sense, as I only just woke up a short while ago.) :rolleyes:
As for your second question, yes, you can request a specific brand. Not all pharmacies will order it for you, but you can absolutely take your business elsewhere if they will not. I always call ahead when filling Adderall, and if the pharmacy doesn't have Sandoz, or refuses to say, I tell them never mind, and go somewhere else. Don't let anyone force you to pay for and take something that you don't want or need! In my experience, most pharmacists will try to tell you that all the generics are the same, but that is simply not true.

The FDA only monitors the "active" ingredients in pharmaceuticals, not the "inactive" ones, and that DOES, or at least can, make a huge difference. Any pharmacist who tells you otherwise is either lying to you, or doesn't know much about his own profession, and in either case, in my opinion, you are better off going somewhere else.

I've been lucky over the last few months in that the pharmacy where I get my Desoxyn filled happens to carry the Sandoz brand Adderall too, but I pay through the nose for it. I don't know when Adderral got so expensive, but it did. I'm not sure about the Dex, as I haven't taken it in quite a long time.
Lastly, I haven't notice much of a difference between brand name Desoxyn and any generic, but that may just be me. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price either though, ($80.00 less maybe on a $600.00-$700.00 script,) so as far as the Desoxyn goes, I would just take it where I could get it. Again, you should double check that locally though.

Best of luck to you, and I'm glad that you found a pharmacy! ;)

:thankyou:

I know we have ALL had our bouts with being victimized, abused, slandered by prejudiced, ignorant and downright evil 'professionals' so I want to say this; I appreciate this information. I will get the script I need because I'm going to save this and show it to my pdoc.

I will get the 'right' script that doesn't affect my ptsd so bad and neck injuries. Yes, I'm lucky I found a pharmacist who IS respectful and able to order these meds as requested and I do understand he'll dole them out to me as per monthly script. No problem.

Lastly, I've spent the last 5 yrs getting royally screwed up the wazzzooo by a VFW Quartermaster who allowed my son and I to become so unhinged by lack/misdiagnoses/malpractice it almost killed me and is still taking it's toll.

Further, he lied about the VA claims he was filing and my appeals and the other day I discovered that he was fired from his post due to being a drunk on morphine. I've got a lawyer trying to help me save my house because of malpractice by my 'dr's who didn't care for me or my son and i have a shot at saving all i have worth any money.

God Bless us all as we navigate through a world on 'a wing and a prayer' finding the 'right' 'help'.

inbetweenshades
05-15-13, 01:27 PM
I am really glad that I was able to help you with your question. :)

It does seem that as patients these days, we often have to stick together and inform one another from our personal experience as doctors aren't always willing to listen, or simply don't have the time to keep up with all of the discrepancies between the pharmaceutical companies and state laws ect., no matter how much they want to.
I too have gathered information not only from the WWW in general, but from this forum, and have taken it to my doctor.
He is one of a dying breed, being a psychiatrist working alone instead of in a clinic because he cares more about the well being of his individual patients than following the strict rules most clinics enforce on the doctors who work there. If you need an hour instead of fifteen minuets, that's what you get. If the latest medicine being pushed by the big corporations isn't working, he won't prescribe it. And if one, or ten medicines doesn't work for you, he will keep looking for the one that will. He actually listens, and that counts more than almost anything these days I think.

I hope that you're current doctor is equally caring and professional, and I am sorry that you and your son have been forced to suffer through so many who were not.
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue on your journey to health and happiness again. :grouphug:

Netspionage
04-21-14, 08:06 PM
Hi - long time lurker here - I was taking Adderall until there was that huge shortage a few years back, and I couldn't get my prescriptions filled anywhere, and having already run the gamut of ADHD meds throughout my life (Ritalin, Dexedrine, etcetera), I talked w/my doctor about Desoxyn, and they wrote me a prescription for it, which, unlike Adderall, I *was* able to get filled.

While everyone is different, of course, my experience with it was that it simply *WORKED*, and very well, and in smaller doses than Adderall did (as in, per dose, 10-20mg/two to four 5mg tablets of Desoxyn, versus 60-90mg/two to three 30mg tablets of Adderall).

No jitters, none of the peripheral side effects which I'd complained about before w/Adderall (sometimes getting a 'cranked' feeling out of it, which I understand is what those who abuse it are looking for, but which I simply found irritating); just plain, simple and constructive focus. Taken properly, it doesn't even interfere with sleep, at least for me. Again, I'm taking it in doctor-approved doses, take regular drug-holidays, etcetera (I'm sure everyone here knows the drill).

I responded to it so well it resulted in my doctor continuing to prescribe it for me, though over the last couple of months I've been having problems getting my prescriptions filled (though that's another story entirely).

That said, as I've found it to be incredibly helpful (at best rendering me nearly 'non-ADD' for periods of time, at worst, tremendous reduction in ADD symptoms), I wouldn't hesitate to encourage people to discuss it with their doctors, with the caveat that everyone's brain is wired differently (to a certain degree), and I actually know someone who was prescribed it and had a very negative reaction (it caused mood swings), so, YMMV.

Just my $0.02 worth, and hope someone finds this post helpful.

~J

Sickle
06-30-14, 07:50 PM
I took Desoxyn Gradumet 15 mg 3 in the AM and 3 at 1 pm as a teen for a few months and I thought it was worthless. I didn't slow me down at all. All it did was reduce my appetite. It was a pain to get so I ended up back on Dexedrine.

I had been on it for a few months during the shortage. One month I got the brand and the other 2 Mylan (4 tablets 4 times a day) and it was worthless just like before. I think it is not meant for hyperactive people because all it did each time was take away my appetite and make me focus more and that has never been a problem, it is the being on overdrive all the time.

Dexedrine worked the best and the old tablets and Dextrostat were helpful. I hate the generics of it but I am fond of the Zenzedi. My insurance made me go to Adderall 30 mg tablets 3 times a day and this crap is nasty. I am going to see if I can get Zenzedi 30 mg tablets or the Procentra because I am hyper and I am sick of the hypersexuality, diarrhea and anxiety I get with Adderall.

I figured I'd put my side out there. There aren't many who share my view because of all of the people I know who have taken it, it was a godsend.

ILADHD
08-11-14, 02:10 AM
I've had an Rx. Like my Adderall much better.

Laserbeak
09-09-14, 03:12 AM
If anyone can't get a valid prescription filled, file a pro se lawsuit in your local United States District Court under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Just explain that the pharmacy is a public service establishment under United States Law and the Americans With Disabilities Act demands that they provide the lawfully prescribed medication to you. By denying that, they've broken both the Americans with Disabilities Act (Public Law 101-336 as amended by Congress) and the Controlled Substances Act (Public Law 91-513 as amended by Congress).

You can make a tidy sum.

edit to add:

I'm investigating this myself. I was in New Jersey and I went to a pharmacy to fill a script and the guy was cagey about whether they had it in stock or not (he never actually went and looked) then decided they didn't and refused to fill my prescription.

So, I actually filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Drug Enforcement Administration to find out whether that pharmacy had any of the drug in question in stock or not. I have gotten a reply saying the DEA has accepted my request and should get the information to me within a month or two. So if they did have it, I can, with proof from the DEA itself, sue them for not dispensing the drug since it is prescribed for a qualifying protected disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act by a DEA licensed doctor.

asilaydying84
10-29-14, 09:24 PM
I've been taking Desoxyn for about a year now. I have severe adult ADD along with PSTD and anxiety disorder.

I took Adderrall for about four years and it worked wonderfully, until the original manufacturer sold out to Teva. After that, they changed the formula, and started using cheap fillers, and suddenly, not only did it stop working for me, but I began to notice a slew of nasty side effects as well. I tried Vyvance, and that was a disaster. I've taken several other things as well, but since most of the current medications out there for ADD are time released, none of them have worked for me. (My body just doesn't seem to know what to do with time released medication of any kind.)
I talked to my doctor about it, and I had heard about Desoxyn from a friend many years ago, so I inquired about it. He told me that he only had one other patient who he prescribed it to, but since he and I have a good relationship and he trusts me, he agreed to let me give it a go.
At first, it didn't seem to be helping all that much, but I was taking a pretty low dose due to the cost. I have state insurance and they wouldn't cover it, so $400-$600 was impossible for me.
My doctor explained that if we created a new paper trail, meaning that I had to suffer for several months with the new Adderrall again, and then the Vyvance again, there was a decent chance that the state would eventually agree to pay for it. So that is what we did.
Luckily, it worked.
However, a few months after I had finally been able to take the increased dose, I realized that I still didn't feel "right."
I had another chat with my doctor, and he agreed to write me two scripts, one for the Desoxyn, and one for Dexadrine. The state won't pay for both, so I have been paying for the Dexadrine myself.

Of course, like most people, I went through a period of not being able to find the Dexadrine, so I was back to just the Desoxyn starting last November. (Or maybe it was even October, I can't remember now.. *shock*)
Anyway, I finally found it again last month, and started back on my old regimen of 5 milligrams of Dexadrine and 5 milligrams of Desoxyn in the morning, and then another 5 milligrams of Desoxyn in the afternoon.

(That is actually a pretty lose dose, and my doctor prescribes more of both for me, but if I take any more than that, I start to feel like I'm on street drugs.)

But I started noticing the same side effects that I was experiencing with the Adderrall this week, and it was then that I realized that my Dexadrine is manufactered by none other than Teva. I stopped taking the Dexadrine again today.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that while the Desoxyn does help somewhat, it just isn't what Adderrall was, and now I am looking for something else. Again.

Basically, what I'm saying is that while of course everyone is different, if you really want to try Desoxyn, you should be able to get a doctor to write it for you if nothing else has worked. (And you can prove it.) But don't expect it to be easy.
People in general seem to have the notion that Desoxyn is nothing more than pharmaceutical Meth, (which it is, I suppose, but not like the stuff on the streets, which is what they think,) and it is difficult to get a prescription for, and even more so to find a pharmacy that actually carries it.

All of that, plus the expense, is something to seriously consider before attempting to get a prescription.
Be that as it may, if nothing else seems to help you, it might be worth a shot, if you can stand the hassle.

Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps. ;)

ive been on Adderall since I was about 10. started out two 10mg tabs a day. titrated slowly over the years and the side effects just started to get annoying.It did help me focus, just not on the task at hand, I focused on how much I hate the effects. I started reading about different adhd meds and asked my doc for Dexedrine. this medication worked ok but it lacked something. come to find out it was the levoamphetamine that was missing from the Dexedrine. So went back to researching meds came across the name desoxyn and was at first like, this is a joke right. I thought methamphetamine was a schedule 1. started reading patient reviews and most said little to no side effects,they can eat and sleep on it. I figured what the hell, so I ask my doctor about it, and hes like 85 years old and says hes never heard of it. but yet he told me that they gave him and other med students Dexedrine in school for taking tests. he grabs his little drug bible and looks it up. he seemed curious about it and told me he needed to contact his pharmacy buddy. He asked if there were any differences between any of the amphetamines and asked if it was more addicting. I heard the pharmacist say all amphetamines have the same potential for abuse. they are all schedule 2 drugs. he handed me a script for desoxyn and it was for a 2 week trial. I live in Sarasota florida, we just had the highest opiate abuse epidemic here and that finally subsided. took me all day to locate a pharmacy that had it. only generic. walgreens is who had it and the pharmacist told me that if it worked and was going to continue it to call a week in advance so she could order it.at first I was expecting something like a fastball to the face like the Adderall did. it kicked in real quick like 20 min and had a very soft onset,was sooooooooo different then any other stimulant out there. it felt almost sedating, I felt my brain hit the brakes. Focus and attention were there, no impulsive behavior, I was shocked that I actually became hungry like a beast and chowed down. and I fell asleep no problem. when I was on Adderall I took valium to help with sleep. now im off the valium and im still in the getting used to it phase. I Really don't get why doctors and pharmacist shun this drug. oh wait, yeah street meth. that's why. it does not even feel like a stimulant, which is nice for me because im speedy in the brain naturally. low dopamine and nor-ep, its like your brain speeds itself up to compensate for the low amount of neurotransmitters. I will continue with desoxyn. I think Adderall is more stimulating because it contains both isomers levo and dextro. desoxyn is dextro only. If it contained the levo isomer it would be more stimulating. thank god its not. its about time I feel in a way normal. its freaking crazy that I have to take methamphetamine to feel normal. screw Adderall, that stuff is more for people who want to get zzzzzzzzzing. more doctors need to review about this med and actually try it for their patients. enough for now. im bored and just keep typing