View Full Version : Over protective Parents??

homestead4u
04-07-12, 05:15 PM
I have a friend that is just over 18 and is an only child and we YIM alot.. The parents (mostly Dad) are now using the car as a device to control the child ..They say the keys were removed to protect the child but well after a very small accident in parking lot a while back..anly now only after the child has started asking to be treated like an adult has privilages been removed.. Is this happing to any of you and what have you done to put a stop to it ?? Please only over 18 years of age .. Thanks

QueensU_girl
04-10-12, 11:18 AM
Why not invest in advanced driving lessons for the child, so s/he can learn more skills? This will empower the child moreso, which will likely benefit a child with challenges.

"Strengthen the strengths" as Dr.Mel Levine says in his books and videos.

Shielding a child too much from their world and their developmental milestones may cause problems. Sure it reduces parent's anxiety, but the kid is left behind. The parent won't be around forever to 'helicopter' their kid.

Nifferka
04-10-12, 11:38 AM
I'm a horrible driver, and my parents (after my first accident) forced me to get back in a car and start driving again straight away, so I wouldn't become too nervous. After a second minor accident 10 days later, I drove the rest of that day and then not again for a year--I was afraid to.

I was very sheltered. It's a miracle I got through college unscathed. I made a lot of really stupid mistakes, and then I moved to the other side of the world and never really came back. I never learned financial responsibility, and I've never had a clear concept of consequences. Seriously, it's nothing short of miraculous that I didn't end up in debt, pregnant, or dead before I got married and had a responsible adult around all the time again.

Running away to the other side of the planet did nothing to convince my parents that I was responsible. I wasn't. Getting married made them less worried. Having children gave them more people to worry about. They still don't treat me like an adult, but I know it's because they love me and want to protect me, and that it's difficult for them that I live so very, very far away.

...besides, I'm still not really a responsible adult. I just pretend to be one sometimes.

homestead4u
04-10-12, 01:37 PM
[quote=QueensU_girl;1282448]Why not invest in advanced driving lessons for the child, so s/he can learn more skills? This will empower the child moreso, which will likely benefit a child with challenges.

"Strengthen the strengths" as Dr.Mel Levine says in his books and videos.

Shielding a child too much from their world and their developmental milestones may cause problems. Sure it reduces parent's anxiety, but the kid is left behind. The parent won't be around forever to 'helicopter' their kid.[/quot:thankyou:

homestead4u
04-10-12, 01:38 PM
I'm a horrible driver, and my parents (after my first accident) forced me to get back in a car and start driving again straight away, so I wouldn't become too nervous. After a second minor accident 10 days later, I drove the rest of that day and then not again for a year--I was afraid to.

I was very sheltered. It's a miracle I got through college unscathed. I made a lot of really stupid mistakes, and then I moved to the other side of the world and never really came back. I never learned financial responsibility, and I've never had a clear concept of consequences. Seriously, it's nothing short of miraculous that I didn't end up in debt, pregnant, or dead before I got married and had a responsible adult around all the time again.

Running away to the other side of the planet did nothing to convince my parents that I was responsible. I wasn't. Getting married made them less worried. Having children gave them more people to worry about. They still don't treat me like an adult, but I know it's because they love me and want to protect me, and that it's difficult for them that I live so very, very far away.

...besides, I'm still not really a responsible adult. I just pretend to be one sometimes.

:thankyou:

homestead4u
04-10-12, 11:36 PM
well everyone was told there was more to the story.. There was bad weather in Phila and he went out anyway didn't have an accident but had to spend the nite because of the snow.. He told me he did this because he was told he was too young to drive after dark and to prove his father wrong .. well he still doesn't have the car and he and his dad is trying to work things out..