View Full Version : Klonopin question

Chace90
04-08-12, 07:28 PM
I was taking clonazepam 0.5 mg twice a day 12 hours apart to treat panic disorder. After about 3 months I decided to stop because I was to relaxed and kinda started to procrastinate(not on anything big). But anyway I see now that probably wasn't what I should have done, mainly because I am remembering why I started to take it in the first place. And that is basically so I don't have panic attacks for no reason or really stupid reasons.

Basically, I am not sure what to do. I was curious if there is anything for panic disorder that doesn't effect cognitive abilities as much or if the laziness I was experiencing could be do to clonazepams effect on serotonin. It worked very good for anxiety but as I mentioned I began to get a bit "lazy" kind of a bit depressed but very mild, that is where the "laziness" is from.

Also if anyone has dosing experience with clonazepam, would going down from 1mg to .5mg a day help or if you think maybe a different med would be better I am open to suggestions.

P.S. One thing I noticed was while taking the klonopin my heart rate was normal and so was my blood pressure. Without the Klonopin my heart rate was kinda all over the place previously to taking the klonpin and currently. But most of the time it was and is fastm.90-120 bpm even when I wasn't doing anything that should elevate my heart rate.

Abi
04-08-12, 07:38 PM
Try Xanax (alprozalam) 1 mg at the onset of a panic attack.

Its a fast acting medication unlike klonopin, so does not stay in your system all day.

Chace90
04-08-12, 07:45 PM
Try Xanax (alprozalam) 1 mg at the onset of a panic attack.

Its a fast acting medication unlike klonopin, so does not stay in your system all day.

That would be fine but I can handle the panic attacks I am use to them. The problem is I have anxiety almost constantly and it seriously effects the way I think and feel physicaly. The anxiety makes me kind of paranoid. What do you think of taking a beta blocker or something similar to that?

Chace90
04-08-12, 07:49 PM
Now that I am reading what I have typed, I am starting to think that my problem could be related to my OCD. P.S. Not really sure how I came up with this last post.I am pretty sure I am having a panic attack now and my thoughts kinda zip around when I am so I loose track of what I was thinking. Yeah heart rate is 110.

Abi
04-08-12, 08:02 PM
Options:

Reduced dose of Klonopin
Beta Blocker
SSRI (eg. Lexapro, Zoloft)

Chace90
04-09-12, 04:14 PM
Options:

Reduced dose of Klonopin
Beta Blocker
SSRI (eg. Lexapro, Zoloft)

Thanks for responding I am going to research these options. But I don't think a ssri would be a good choice for me. I had a seizure last time I took an ssri.

known_guy
04-09-12, 10:20 PM
Atarax
Lyrica
Neurontin
Inderal

Chace90
04-10-12, 11:41 AM
Atarax
Lyrica
Neurontin
Inderal

Thanks for the suggestions. I was kinda freaking out when I wrote the previous posts. I some times get panic attacks that last almost the entire day. That's what was happening at the time. I feel a lot better now, anyway I think I will be fine with my current situation, which is taking up to 0.5mg(Klonopin) twice daily as needed. I haven't taken any since I stopped taking 0.5mg twice daily. Previously it wasn't as needed, I was just taking 0.5mg twice a day.

Maverick420
04-10-12, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was kinda freaking out when I wrote the previous posts. I some times get panic attacks that last almost the entire day. That's what was happening at the time. I feel a lot better now, anyway I think I will be fine with my current situation, which is taking up to 0.5mg(Klonopin) twice daily as needed. I haven't taken any since I stopped taking 0.5mg twice daily. Previously it wasn't as needed, I was just taking 0.5mg twice a day.

My recommendation is to use Benzodiazepines as less as possible. Except in the US Clonazepam is only approved as an antiepileptic. But it is off-label used for the treatment of anxiety, panic disorders and tension. Compared to other Benzodiazepines the addictive potential is not as high as drugs like Lorazepam but still the withdraw can cause trouble.

I take for time being 1-2 mg of Clonazepam at night to support the Zolpidem. Without the Clonazepam the Zolpidem causes tension so I control this symptoms with Clonazepam. I am not happy with this mixture and I want to go on Diazepam and completely withdraw from Benzodiazepines.

The quality of sleep just sucks and on the long term these drugs have serious side effects I don't wanna deal with.

Good luck.

Chace90
04-10-12, 10:36 PM
My recommendation is to use Benzodiazepines as less as possible. Except in the US Clonazepam is only approved as an antiepileptic. But it is off-label used for the treatment of anxiety, panic disorders and tension. Compared to other Benzodiazepines the addictive potential is not as high as drugs like Lorazepam but still the withdraw can cause trouble.

I take for time being 1-2 mg of Clonazepam at night to support the Zolpidem. Without the Clonazepam the Zolpidem causes tension so I control this symptoms with Clonazepam. I am not happy with this mixture and I want to go on Diazepam and completely withdraw from Benzodiazepines.

The quality of sleep just sucks and on the long term these drugs have serious side effects I don't wanna deal with.

Good luck.

I took one 0.5 mg a day for a week to wean myself of them, instead of my usual dose 0.5mg twice daily. I was supposed to do two weeks but instead I just took that dose 0.5mg once every other day for the second week out of the two weeks. I haven't taken any since. The first couple of days of taking 0.5mg once a day wasn't bad at all but, for the next two days I didn't feel all that well in the evenings.(kinda like I had the flu) In the mornings and afternoon I felt fine. After that there where maybe 1 or two days where I had symptoms, that I would attribute to not haven taken the Clonazepam. But those symptoms where very bad. Only bad part was those first 1-3 days that I started to have symptoms from Clonazepam withdraw, but as I mentioned the symptoms didn't last long usually just a few hours. Also I was skipping doses before I talked to my doctor and they recommend taking only 0.5mg a day instead of 1mg. Also I feel it is important to note I had only been taking it for a little over three months.

Maverick420
04-12-12, 10:58 PM
Psychiatrist in Germany wouldn't prescribe drugs like Clonazepam for 3 Months or longer. They handle it very strict and there really have to be good reasons for a Benzo-prescribtion. They are all worried about addiction and abuse and in my opinion often refuse a necessary medication to patient just to feel "good" and not prescribing a Benzodiazepine.

Clonazepam, which is in the US widely used is in Germany only approved as an antiepileptic. The Doctor can prescribe it "Off-Label" but the most Psychiatrist don't know about it and therefore refuse a prescription.

I have been on Clonazepam for quite a while and no problems stopping it. As they say it is one of the Benzos with a less addiction potential compared other Benzos.

TJM91
04-14-12, 02:00 AM
Klonopin 0.5 BID for 4 months, that to me sounds like a physical and psychological dependence had formed. Now, you need to be careful to distinguish between addiction and dependence.

Physical dependence is the how a body responds when a certain drug is withdrawn/abstained from, a syndrome (withdrawal/abstinence syndrome) follows that affects the body negatively physically, for example if a drug like Klonopin is suddenly stop, hypertension, increased heart rate, tremors, tinnitus, palpitations, seizures, muscle spasms, etc.

Psychological dependence is similar to physical dependence, but mentally a withdrawal/abstinence syndrome appears that mentally affects the mind in a negative manner. For example, abrupt discontinuation of Klonopin can result in increased anxiety, panic attacks, constant anxiety, hallucinations, psychotic reactions, etc.

Dependence is NOT addiction, and a lot of people confuse dependence with addiction. Addiction is an obsessive compulsive behavior and disease of the central nervous system where dependence, be it psychological and/or physiological is merely a symptom. For example missing work constantly, a DUI, neglect of social, familial, and self obligations. Addicts will sometimes 'doctor shop' for their drug if it is a pharmaceutical. They have a behavior to need the drug because it is a mask of other serious problems.

For example, an oxycodone addict is different than someone exhibiting oxycodone dependence.
Our person with an oxycodone addiction will constantly seek out oxycodone from the street, multiple physicians, rogue pharmacies, and spend lots and lots of money on it and has dependence mental/physical. A withdrawal syndrome exhibits itself if they cannot get the drug, and they will typically attempt to "score" the drug to get high and stop the withdrawal. They also typically have a host of other psychological problems; and medical, psychological, and social intervention is typically the mode of treatment.
Now, our oxycodone dependent individual has cancer and is dependent, but not addicted. He or she needs to take OxyContin twice a day and also Roxicodone as needed for "breakthrough" pain of the cancer in which is pain that is severe spikes that the OxyContin cannot control at times, so they take the Roxicodone as needed for the breakthrough pain. If one day they decided to stop taking the pain medication altogether as their cancer remitted, also the pain has disappeared, they will typically experience a withdrawal syndrome classical to opioids upon. However, they take a week and experience the syndrome, and then afterwards they are done. They don't need the pain killers anymore so they dispose of them and that's it. They are done.

3 months on Klonopin is enough to form both types of benzodiazepine dependence. You will probably want to taper off using Valium if you don't want Klonopin any longer. 1mg of Klonopin a day is equivalent to about 20mg of Valium, which is ideal for tapering off. Some people say that 1mg Klonopin is equal to 40mg of Valium, but I think the former 1:20 ratio is correct and the 1:40 ratio is incorrect. You sounded as if you did not taper. You just tossed the Klonopin and said "I'm done." I tried that and was a mess until I ended up in the ER, and in the end Klonopin is and was not the benzo for me, if it works for you, great, but my preferences lean towards Xanax, Ativan, Valium, and Serax. Klonopin made me fire my old psychiatrist as she refused to listen and help me switch.

Anyways, I believe you are not addicted and you have a withdrawal syndrome that is cold turkey and it is best to taper using Valium/diazepam.

Maverick420
04-14-12, 09:56 AM
I also would recommend using Valium / Diazepam to withdraw from Clonazepam. You have to experiment what the right starting dose on Diazepam is. A very good and serious website about this hole issue is: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Chace90
04-14-12, 05:53 PM
I did taper off. As I mentioned i was taking 0.5 mg daily for a week to taper off, but my doctor told me to take 0.5mg daily for two weeks to taper off. Instead of taking 0.5 daily for the second week I took 0.5 mg every two days, because i felt I didn't need to take it every day to prevent symptoms. I hope that clears that up a bit. Anyway those symptoms I was having are not from the klonopin "withdrawal", they are the same symptoms I had before I even started taking klonopin.