View Full Version : Vitamin B12 Deficiency and ADHD

K-Funk
04-09-12, 04:47 PM
So found out that my B12 is really low at 280 and anything below 250 is considered deficient but that many in the field are pushing for that number to be raised to below 400.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? How can/does it impact ADHD? Is this one of those mimicking things? I've also read it can cause permanent nervous system damage. Thanks health related anxiety now I'm freaking out :o

LaMbaL
04-09-12, 06:24 PM
A B12 deficiency can result in low energy and lethargy, so if youre suffering from those it might be a good idea to take some supplements. Other than that, B12 deficiency alone cannot mimick ADD.

Steven_Tyler77
04-09-12, 06:54 PM
I once took a herbal pill containing gingko biloba, caffeine and vitamin b-12. It got me wired and helped me focus like mad on my task for a couple of hours. So there might be some connection to the ADHD thing. I however didn't like it too much, since it felt like a very unnatural kind of focus, like some forced-upon hyperfocus. I'm pretty sure that's not how NTs focus... And no, it wasn't the caffeine in it, as I take a lot of caffeine in both teas and pill form and it doesn't have this kind of effects on me.

I don't think that b-12 deficiency can mimic ADHD, but might be involved somehow in all this complex neurochemistry...

known_guy
04-09-12, 09:57 PM
I at one point had Vitamin B12 deficiency. My psychiatrist thought it was contributing to my depression. I don't know about ADHD though...