View Full Version : Least mentally stressful exercise? I have OCD, GAD and ADD

sbcy
04-10-12, 10:01 AM
Any ideas?? When I do push ups, I worry about if my hands are in the right spot/centered. If I run I keep stressing out wheter I'm pushing myself enough and it generally just creates a distressing feeling except a few times like when i was on pristiq or helped by SAM-e or massive amounts of b12 or just a "good day" (stopped pristiq due to a lack of passion and other side effects which i won't go into detail here). So what is a good work out for someone with OCD and general anxiety? A lot of the distress seems to be cognitive as opposed to physical seeing as it was much less painful/distressing while on pristiq.

ana futura
04-10-12, 06:41 PM
Walking? A lot of people don't realize this, but walking will burn almost the same calories as running, if you compare distance run to distance walked.

Your workouts will take a lot longer, but if you walk the same distance you used to run you will be getting most of the physical benefit without the endorphins and adrenalin created by running, which I'm guessing might be contributing to your anxiety.

Other things to try would be yoga or tai chi, because they are very calming.

I would speak to a professional about this, but I'm not sure who would be the best to help you. Maybe ask your MD to recommend a physical therapist? PT's know a lot about exercise science.

Fuzzy12
04-10-12, 06:49 PM
I think, walking is a great idea and there's very little you can do wrong.

Also, how about swimming? I find swimming extremely relaxing and soothing.

sarahsweets
04-10-12, 09:24 PM
Death. Least stressful mentally and physically.

ana futura
04-10-12, 10:15 PM

:rolleyes: I suppose that's good for weight loss, but I don't think there's much cardiovascular benefit.

Flory
04-10-12, 10:22 PM
i am fairly biased but in all honesty...i think martial arts so many styles all with similar objectives, you'll have so much fun kicking and punching the sh*t out of things that it'll take your mind off of anything, it improves confidence, gets you physically fitter and also a sense of accomplishment/achievemnt as you go up in grades, start competing etc :) its the one thing in life ive actually persevered with

TheChemicals
04-10-12, 10:30 PM
Yeh i used martial arts and boxing as a way to give back to the world all the blackeyes its given me. Unfortunatly the world fights back and i have ugly scars to prove it lol.

I recomend heavybags....they dont hit back.

ana futura
04-10-12, 10:31 PM
Martial arts is so awesome for ADHD. I'd be so much worse off if I hadn't discovered it when I was younger.

Flory
04-10-12, 10:35 PM
scars are hot !!! i have a little bit of a black eye goin on at the moment >.< more of a red tinge under my eye its been there for a week and its f*in annoying, what do you do ana ? x

ana futura
04-10-12, 10:49 PM
I did kenpo when I was in my teens and then judo for a little a bit, and then wushu in my 20's. I stopped a few years ago, but was thinking of getting back into it. These days yoga is more my speed, I'm getting old.
What do you do?

Flory
04-10-12, 10:50 PM
aww sweet :) i do taekwondo (itf) but starting mma soon, want t do brazillian jiujitsu but its so damn expensive x

Flory
04-10-12, 10:52 PM
if i could walk away from everything i'd just train martial arts every day ^_^...maybe one day

Fraser_0762
04-10-12, 10:56 PM
Scars are awesome!

Not when they're formed from your plooky teen years though. *sob*

ಠ_ಠ (hehe, I love this face, it somes up my general mood quite nicely)

ana futura
04-10-12, 10:56 PM
aww sweet :) i do taekwondo (itf) but starting mma soon, want t do brazillian jiujitsu but its so damn expensive x

I have some friends who teach bjj, now that I'm getting my adhd taken care of maybe I'll get off my lazy butt and go take some classes with them. Good job getting into MMA, that's hard core!

Flory
04-10-12, 11:01 PM
scars are always cool...even if they arent from something cool you should pretend you are a warrior :D yeah definitely get down and do some bjj if you can, then you can go out and pwn some biatches :D ...truth be told im probably going to get ktfo when i first start fighting mma (wont be for a little while yet, havent even started the training) but, you have to start somewhere right :) hopefully ill just get in the octagon though and kick someone in the face...that would be...amazing :P

sbcy
04-11-12, 01:52 AM

I tried taekwondo when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old but like most things I didn't really "get it" as I'm a poor imitator and got stuck at 1 level. Classes are always embarrassing and confusing for me so mostly I self educate. Were you just naturally good at learning this or..? I wonder if I have a leraning disability instead of ADD since ADDers seem to be able to learn these things...

sbcy
04-11-12, 01:54 AM

How is that exercise though?

CheekyMonkey
04-11-12, 02:10 AM
Maybe it would be beneficial to do 1 min walk, 1 min run...on and off. During your 1 minute walk time practice deep breathing and relaxation. Your body cannot be both anxious and relaxed at the same time, so tricking your mind into being relaxed through deep breathing and mindfulness activities might be beneficial. Running will bring up your heart rate, and you'll use the next minute to recuperate and practice deep breathing to bring both your body and mind to a more balanced place and bring your heart rate down. It seems like it would be a great activity/exercise for both your body and mind.

Getting a heart rate monitor to have a visual of your heart rate might be helpful as well.

Vector
04-14-12, 10:07 AM
SBCY,

Least stressfull physical exercise for you will be an individual sport because of your social anxiety (this was probably already mentioned). Take some time to find a sport that suits you best. For example, some sports demand great flexibility, others a lot of strenght.

Competition and training for competition is more mentally stressful than just doing it for recreation and enjoyment.

Every sport starts out with learning the basic skills. This can be a stressful fase, but after this the exercises/skills become more and more natural. When you have overcome this first stage, the sport will become less stressful and a lot of fun.

Especially in your case, don't overthink too much. Don't analize your moves all the time, but also just relax and enjoy it.

sbcy
04-19-12, 06:57 AM
SBCY,

Least stressfull physical exercise for you will be an individual sport because of your social anxiety (this was probably already mentioned). Take some time to find a sport that suits you best. For example, some sports demand great flexibility, others a lot of strenght.

Competition and training for competition is more mentally stressful than just doing it for recreation and enjoyment.

Every sport starts out with learning the basic skills. This can be a stressful fase, but after this the exercises/skills become more and more natural. When you have overcome this first stage, the sport will become less stressful and a lot of fun.

Especially in your case, don't overthink too much. Don't analize your moves all the time, but also just relax and enjoy it.

Thanks for the replies folks. I figured out a lot more regarding this exercise induced "stress" the past few days. It's actually largely different from what Vector mentioned regarding social stress, stress of learning, etc. Whenever I experience relief from my OCD symptoms, exercise becomes much much easier. I'm also able to "shift gears" much much easier. Exertion or stress of any kind tends to agrivate my compulsions which creates a burden on my mind resulting in fatigue and lack of attention.
As for sports, I also have the traditional ADD problems of paying attention (dopamine & NE deficiency very likely) so it would seem that sports would help occupy my mind if they're stimulating enough and it would be easier to push myself. I'm considering tennis but I guess i need to find a partner or group then....

Any other ideas for mentally stimulating exercise?