View Full Version : Tomorrow

ThatGinger
04-10-12, 06:10 PM
So tomorrow I have an appt with my pdoc and I'm thinking of asking about trying desoxyn. I have been on literally every medication under the sun ( Ritalin IR, Focalin (ER & IR), Concerta, Daytrana, Stratera, Vyvanse, Dextroamphetamine IR ) and have found them to be either 1) ineffectual or 2) ridden with side effect which i couldn't tollerate. Most of these side effects are PNS related (vasoconstriction in fingers & toes, appetite suppression, increase heart rate) and i've read that Desoxyn may cause fewer of these side effects.

I'm curently taking 40 mg of Vyvanse and I adore the smooth dosage curve I get with it, but dislike the long time till onset and wish i could mediate it's halflife (too long).

I trust my doc, but i also feel that given my dislikes with vyvanse and dextro that desoxyn would be a good fit. Opinions, suggestions, commentary, or questions are welcome!

sarahsweets
04-10-12, 09:28 PM
Well Tambourine Man is a pretty good expert.. heres his thread.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113344

Disregard the trolls.

AddYourAll
04-10-12, 09:40 PM
So tomorrow I have an appt with my pdoc and I'm thinking of asking about trying desoxyn. I have been on literally every medication under the sun ( Ritalin IR, Focalin (ER & IR), Concerta, Daytrana, Stratera, Vyvanse, Dextroamphetamine IR ) and have found them to be either 1) ineffectual or 2) ridden with side effect which i couldn't tollerate. Most of these side effects are PNS related (vasoconstriction in fingers & toes, appetite suppression, increase heart rate) and i've read that Desoxyn may cause fewer of these side effects.

I'm curently taking 40 mg of Vyvanse and I adore the smooth dosage curve I get with it, but dislike the long time till onset and wish i could mediate it's halflife (too long).

I trust my doc, but i also feel that given my dislikes with vyvanse and dextro that desoxyn would be a good fit. Opinions, suggestions, commentary, or questions are welcome!
okay, I bet if you tell him (Dr.) u adore the vyvance but dislike the onset and last it too long. Dr might say good d amp works. might give u ir d-amp till vyvance kicks in and as far as wearing off, he could say it will subside, or give a smaller dosage. do u really want to risk drug-seeking for desoxyn pills. odds arn't in your favor, just sayin....or try dexedrine er spansules - about 15mg span is equivilent to 40 vyvance, kisks in quicker and doesnt last as long... report back

emittdean
04-10-12, 11:11 PM
Anybody in OKC and on Desoxyn/?

ThatGinger
04-11-12, 01:27 PM
Sarasweets: That thread was actually the beginning of my researching desoxyn. Don't fret Addyourall, i know he isn't a doc :p

Addyourall: i have ir dextroamphetamine and have tried it before/with vyvanse, the combined up is just to 'up' for me. We talked about dex spansules but decided that vyvanse was a better fit. We also spoke at great length about desoxyn and had a avery interesting conversation.
Very cool drug, but given the size of his practice (director of 2 adhd practices in 2 states) he does not prescribe it ever. I'd say about half of our conversation focused on it and he did a great job outlining the excess cardiac risk over 'traditional' (methylphenidate & dextro/amphetamine) adhd meds. He actually forwarded me a very interesting study conducted on the traditional drugs (excluding desoxyn) and their cardiac risk for the population (essentially null). As for being concerned about drug seeking behavior, I am a chem / ES major with a curious mind and am generally the one researching my medications, and I actually asked him if he considered this an example at the end of our talk. in a few words: "of course not, ThatGinger, I understand your curiosities and have seen it (drug seeking behavior) numerous times, you're not exhibiting it." He's been my p-dr for over 10 years now, i think he gets me :D

Final: (tldr) Given the list of side effects I had with vyvanse and dextro, we decided to try adderal ir in lieu of dextro, so we'll see how it goes!