View Full Version : Treatment of Aspergers with Stimulants

Maverick420
04-10-12, 07:38 PM
I am interested to here what the general opinion is whether Aspergers can / should be treated with stimulants like Ritalin or Amphetamine. As far as my research went I didn't find any real evidence with a qualified opinion if the treatment with stimulants is an option.

Personally, I was in 1998 misdiagnosed with ADD and treated with Ritalin for several years. That I have in fact Aspergers and no ADD at all was detected last year. But I am still using Stimulants on a irregular basis. I do not take them every day but sometimes daily.

I switch between Methylphenidate and Dextroamphetamine. It depends on what I plan to do and what time it is. Methylphenidat works only for about an hour so I can take it without problems in the evening.

What I like about the stimulants is that they help me to understand social situations and make me notice more important social details. So I can adapt more easily. They also push me a little bit and help me come out of my closed world.

The concentration on cognitive tasks improves too but this is not an important factor for me. The Methylphenidat is here a little bit to heavy for me and I have the feeling it makes me more autistic.

I like that disturbing noises not longer interfere with my tasks and that my inner life is put on hold while I am on medication.

I do prefer Dextroamphetamine over Methylphenidate because the Dex works longer, the feeling is more natural and it wears off more smoothly without causing euphoria or agitation. It also helps me as antidepressant agent. I suffer from a Bipolar I disorder and it is a reliable help in managing mood swings and dealing with depression.

None of the stimulants I ever took caused mania like symptoms. Hope I posted in the right section.

cyonce
04-10-12, 10:49 PM
Stimulants definitely help with executive function problems which from what I've read are a significant part of both ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

They don't help with some of the other issues however and don't work for everyone.

Nautilus
05-06-12, 10:11 PM
Looks like it is working for you, regardless of what your official diagnosis is. Good!

Always keep in mind that diagnostic categories are "our best estimate of the situation so far," so you may or may not be similar to other Aspies. I don't know whether it works for the majority of people with diagnosed with Asperger's, but I'm glad it works for you.

As for me, I score a little high on Aspie tests, but not enough to get the Dx. I think I was told my score was in the normal range for some kind of scientists (forget which), and that really didn't surprise me at all. Meanwhile, I'm definitely ADHD. Dexedrine works great for me, I have a similar experience to what you described with it (as well as other benefits), but technically I'm "just ADHD." Categories and cut-off scores, meh. I wish they'd adopt gradients for these sort of things, tell you your percentile, and just use cut-off scores for specific practical decisions.

Fortune
05-06-12, 10:36 PM
I find that stimulants mitigate my ADHD-type difficulties, but I tend to feel "more autistic" under their influence. I recently found out that the brand of Ritalin my pharmacy gives me is the worst brand in the world, however, so I am going to see if I can get a different brand and see what happens.