View Full Version : My latest project

Luvmybully
04-10-12, 10:47 PM
Making a quilted cover for Audrey's perla bed.
It's hand pieced, using english paper piecing. It took me 3 months to piece it!

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Audrey%20perla%20bed%20cover/DSC00650.jpg

this is on a pillow. It was supposed to fit the bottom of the bed, but it's too small. So I made her another cushion, and she HATES it. Refuses to sleep on it. So I took it out and she just sleeps with the cover.
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Audrey%20perla%20bed%20cover/DSC00642.jpg

anonymouslyadd
04-10-12, 10:48 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.:)

ginniebean
04-10-12, 10:51 PM
I am so not crafty, very nice job!!!!

salleh
04-10-12, 10:53 PM
Very professional work ! ....although, the top photo reminds me of a set of quilt directions I once read and about fell over ......

you know the thype I am speaking of ....they are made with little round pieces of fabric that you hand sew around the edge and then draw that thread tight.....and then flatten dodwn .....with a puckered center where the drawn thread it ....and you sew the edges together with many others to form the quilt .....

anyway ....the directions started with ....."take 10,020 circles" ....thought it was just about the funniest thing I ever read ......still makes me snicker ....

( each circle is about an inch across, an 8 foot by 10 foot quilt would use that many circles)

Flory
04-10-12, 10:55 PM
Awesome !!!!!

Luvmybully
04-10-12, 11:09 PM
Very professional work ! ....although, the top photo reminds me of a set of quilt directions I once read and about fell over ......

you know the thype I am speaking of ....they are made with little round pieces of fabric that you hand sew around the edge and then draw that thread tight.....and then flatten dodwn .....with a puckered center where the drawn thread it ....and you sew the edges together with many others to form the quilt .....

anyway ....the directions started with ....."take 10,020 circles" ....thought it was just about the funniest thing I ever read ......still makes me snicker ....

( each circle is about an inch across, an 8 foot by 10 foot quilt would use that many circles)

LOL! Salleh you crack me up! And yep! That is EXACTLY how I made this.

I made a paper pattern to fit the bed, drew the design, traced the individual pieces of the design onto freezer paper and cut each one out.

Ironed the freezer paper pattern pieces onto the fabric, then cut them out leaving room all around for a seam allowance.

Turned the seam allowance under the edge of the paper and basted it down, then hand sewed the pieces together followng the design. Then removed all the paper pieces.

It was a lot of work, but I NEEDED a project like this to escape for a bit.

here is the design:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Audrey%20perla%20bed%20cover/DSC00317-1.jpg

and some of the paper piecing
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Audrey%20perla%20bed%20cover/DSC00409.jpg

For the eyes on the applique I used a button to baste the seams around.
It is not nearly thousands of pieces though!

salleh
04-11-12, 01:10 AM
I \'ll tell ya somsething ....I don'[t have very much left from my family ....but I do have 3 , count 'em 3 handmade quilts from my mom's side of the family ....one beautiful pink and white pieced quilt with the most amazing quilting sewing ;....it is so perfect, that you'd think a sewing machine did it ....except that there's no such thing as a sewing machine that can sew a running stitch ....has to be hand done ...each stich 1/4 inch ...and that's it .....it's too bad they didn't turn it when it was folded at the end of the bed as 1/2 of it is much more faded than the other 1/2 ....

and then there's a hand pieced top , dresden plate I think, and it's a wowser too ....all kinds of fabrics from the 1930s ......still needs the batting and back though .......

but the quilt that never fails to hold me in awe ....is the Victorian crazy quilt ......it's done in 1 foot squares, and there's a significant number of pieces that have flat out dissolved, as it is the classic crazy quilt and done in velvets, and satins and the like .....there's an overall design theme of fans ....and lots of embroidery all overy it spider webs , inittals and stuff like that .....and some trapunto roses. and what really gets me is that every single piece of fabric is sewn to the one next to it with a different fancy stitch ......

I can look at it for hours, and I never look at it without finding something new that I had never noticed before ......

I have been in the antique business for many decades ....I have seen a lotta crazy quilts in my time ....and this one ......whoooo ...it is the apex of the art ....most have huge looping stitches ....this one has beautiful, small,,perfectly proportioned, perfectly positioned, perfectly executed stitches .......and there must be 50 different variations on the main connecting stitch .....

.....I learned embroidery at my grandmothers knee when I was 6......I learned crewel work when I fell off that horse, cracked my pelvic bone in 3 places, and spent the summer sitting down .....and between the 2 of those fine needlework styles, I know rather a lot of stitches.,......not nearly as many as I count in this quilt .....

....if I had to lose everything and could only keep a few things .....these 3 quilts would have been at the top of my wish list .....I feel lucky to still have them ....

the finished ones are well over 100 years old ...the crazy quilt .....probably about 120 to 140 years old ...the pieced one ....from about 1900, turn of the last century ...... the pieced one is called an Amish stlye, as it is done with solid color fabric.....rather than calicos and such ....

Unmanagable
04-11-12, 02:34 AM
Awesome work!!! I love it! And mad props to you for having the patience. *whew* :)

Flia
04-11-12, 05:52 AM
You must be on meds to be able to finish such a project :-).
It's lovely.

Luvmybully
04-11-12, 10:45 AM
I \'ll tell ya somsething ....I don'[t have very much left from my family ....but I do have 3 , count 'em 3 handmade quilts from my mom's side of the family ....one beautiful pink and white pieced quilt with the most amazing quilting sewing ;....it is so perfect, that you'd think a sewing machine did it ....except that there's no such thing as a sewing machine that can sew a running stitch ....has to be hand done ...each stich 1/4 inch ...and that's it .....it's too bad they didn't turn it when it was folded at the end of the bed as 1/2 of it is much more faded than the other 1/2 ....

and then there's a hand pieced top , dresden plate I think, and it's a wowser too ....all kinds of fabrics from the 1930s ......still needs the batting and back though .......

but the quilt that never fails to hold me in awe ....is the Victorian crazy quilt ......it's done in 1 foot squares, and there's a significant number of pieces that have flat out dissolved, as it is the classic crazy quilt and done in velvets, and satins and the like .....there's an overall design theme of fans ....and lots of embroidery all overy it spider webs , inittals and stuff like that .....and some trapunto roses. and what really gets me is that every single piece of fabric is sewn to the one next to it with a different fancy stitch ......

I can look at it for hours, and I never look at it without finding something new that I had never noticed before ......

I have been in the antique business for many decades ....I have seen a lotta crazy quilts in my time ....and this one ......whoooo ...it is the apex of the art ....most have huge looping stitches ....this one has beautiful, small,,perfectly proportioned, perfectly positioned, perfectly executed stitches .......and there must be 50 different variations on the main connecting stitch .....

.....I learned embroidery at my grandmothers knee when I was 6......I learned crewel work when I fell off that horse, cracked my pelvic bone in 3 places, and spent the summer sitting down .....and between the 2 of those fine needlework styles, I know rather a lot of stitches.,......not nearly as many as I count in this quilt .....

....if I had to lose everything and could only keep a few things .....these 3 quilts would have been at the top of my wish list .....I feel lucky to still have them ....

the finished ones are well over 100 years old ...the crazy quilt .....probably about 120 to 140 years old ...the pieced one ....from about 1900, turn of the last century ...... the pieced one is called an Amish stlye, as it is done with solid color fabric.....rather than calicos and such ....

I would LOVE to see pictures of your heirloom quilts! How wonderful to have them!

The crazy quilt does sound really amazing. I have hand quilted 2 quilts, just plain old running stitches. It is very time consuming! I can't imagine the time and patience and creativity it took to make such a beautiful piece. All those lovely fabrics you described.....

It is a shame that one never got finished. Is the fabric still in good enough shape it could be finished? Dresden plates are one of my favorite designs. As soon as I get some more practice I plan on making one.

Your quilts are definitely a treasure!

hardiesl
04-11-12, 11:41 AM
Aubrey is one lucky Bully! Her bed looks great! I try to crochet, but if I don't finish the project in one sitting...I forget what stich I was using:( Eh, oh well

Amtram
04-11-12, 12:32 PM
CUUUUUTE!!!

Love the way you made the pattern, too. I do clothes like that, but would have spent hundreds of hours cussing at myself trying to make a regular quilt pattern fit the bed!

Luvmybully
04-11-12, 01:31 PM
CUUUUUTE!!!

Love the way you made the pattern, too. I do clothes like that, but would have spent hundreds of hours cussing at myself trying to make a regular quilt pattern fit the bed!

Thanks!

I could NOT figure out how to make a design that would work. All my templates are for one fixed rigid shape, which clearly was NOT going to work, no matter how much I tried.

Then I discovered english paper piecing, and had that lightbulb moment!
Just what I needed to make a design fit!

I made some HUGE colossal mistakes, had to pick apart and re-cut and re-sew EVERY single hexagon pair, still was not perfect but hand sewing allows for lots of fudging.

I can not in any way mentally visualize what things will look like when they are put together, I HAVE to see it. Makes pattern making challenging.

salleh
04-11-12, 01:42 PM
WHen I get back to California, I'll take some photos for ya ......

Sandy4957
04-11-12, 02:02 PM
Take 10,020 circles????????!!!!!!! :faint:

Yeah, that'd be the end for me, as well, Salleh.

Beautiful, beautiful bed, Luv.

(BTW, as an aside, a friend recently posted on FB wishing people a "Happy Passover, Happy Easter, and Happy Spring to the non-subscribers," or something like that. He owns bulldogs, and one of his friends wrote back, "Happy National Bulldog Day." I said, "I could totally get into a Happy Bulldog Day, and I don't even own one." They're such fun little medicine-ball doggies...)

I get completely overwhelmed by large numbers like that. But I remember once catering some event, and I ordered 25 lbs of 16-24 count raw shrimp. My mom was helping me cater (she was in charge of how things looked; while I was in charge of how it tasted) and she said, "You are insane if you plan to peel and devein 500 shrimp! Order the pre-cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp!" I tasted the pre-cooked shrimp, which were mealy and had an off taste from the preservatives, and ordered the raw shrimp instead. I then spent 3 hours doing nothing but peeling and deveining shrimp. But once we had cooked them (briefly, in lightly salted water brought to a boil, and then as soon as the shrimp are dumped in, you turn off the water and let them sit for four minutes and then immediately dump them out and plunge them in ice water), and she tasted one dipped in the tequila-lime cocktail sauce that we'd just made, she had to admit: "Ok, you were right to buy the raw shrimp." :D

Luvmybully
04-11-12, 02:06 PM
WHen I get back to California, I'll take some photos for ya ......

YAY! This just made me so happy :yes:

Luvmybully
04-11-12, 02:14 PM
Take 10,020 circles????????!!!!!!! :faint:

Yeah, that'd be the end for me, as well, Salleh.

Beautiful, beautiful bed, Luv.

(BTW, as an aside, a friend recently posted on FB wishing people a "Happy Passover, Happy Easter, and Happy Spring to the non-subscribers," or something like that. He owns bulldogs, and one of his friends wrote back, "Happy National Bulldog Day." I said, "I could totally get into a Happy Bulldog Day, and I don't even own one." They're such fun little medicine-ball doggies...)

I get completely overwhelmed by large numbers like that. But I remember once catering some event, and I ordered 25 lbs of 16-24 count raw shrimp. My mom was helping me cater (she was in charge of how things looked; while I was in charge of how it tasted) and she said, "You are insane if you plan to peel and devein 500 shrimp! Order the pre-cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp!" I tasted the pre-cooked shrimp, which were mealy and had an off taste from the preservatives, and ordered the raw shrimp instead. I then spent 3 hours doing nothing but peeling and deveining shrimp. But once we had cooked them (briefly, in lightly salted water brought to a boil, and then as soon as the shrimp are dumped in, you turn off the water and let them sit for four minutes and then immediately dump them out and plunge them in ice water), and she tasted one dipped in the tequila-lime cocktail sauce that we'd just made, she had to admit: "Ok, you were right to buy the raw shrimp." :D

I never use pre-made patterns or instructions for quilting- I like the oblivion of not REALLY knowing how many pieces I'll need. :scratch: I just cut, sew, cut some more, sew some more. I can't handle super repetitive tasks like cutting out everything first then sewing everything at once. I need it broken up.

And every day is Bulldog Day at our house! Bulldoggers tend to be a bit obsessive. And what a perfect description- "fun little medicine ball doggies" LOVE IT! :lol:

YUM!!! on the shrimp. Tequila-lime cocktail sauce? Uggg I want to try that-sounds so good.
I bet you were tired of shrimp smell by the time that 3 hours of peeling and deveining was finished. That's a LOT of shrimp.

Sandy4957
04-11-12, 02:36 PM
Good fresh shrimp doesn't smell much. I get the ones that are frozen in a block, which, if you live anyplace other than a shrimping area are probably "fresher" than truly fresh shrimp flown or trucked in. But they have no smell other than "ocean" when they are frozen on the boat and then newly thawed just before you cook them. (BTW, as one who used to sell shrimp as a kid, they will take on an ammonia smell not long after they are thawed, so that's how you can know if what you're buying is still pretty fresh.)

If you shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll email you the recipe for the tequila-lime cocktail sauce. It's fabulous. The only thing that I've learned about that one is that however many shrimp you cook will be eaten, particularly if you pass them with servers. People will never pass up a fresh, tail-on shrimp dipped in this sauce. And some will eat literally dozens of them in a sitting (or standing, as the case may be). :)

So Luv, is your Audrey Hepbull a breeder? She looks very well bred. I'd kind of like to get an ill-bred non-breeder one with a little more snout on him or her just to try to avoid the sinus issues, but you have one beautiful little medicine-ball doggie, there. :D

I gravitate toward the medicine-ball horsey equivalents... :D

Luvmybully
04-11-12, 02:47 PM
Good fresh shrimp doesn't smell much. I get the ones that are frozen in a block, which, if you live anyplace other than a shrimping area are probably "fresher" than truly fresh shrimp flown or trucked in. But they have no smell other than "ocean" when they are frozen on the boat and then newly thawed just before you cook them. (BTW, as one who used to sell shrimp as a kid, they will take on an ammonia smell not long after they are thawed, so that's how you can know if what you're buying is still pretty fresh.)

If you shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll email you the recipe for the tequila-lime cocktail sauce. It's fabulous. The only thing that I've learned about that one is that however many shrimp you cook will be eaten, particularly if you pass them with servers. People will never pass up a fresh, tail-on shrimp dipped in this sauce. And some will eat literally dozens of them in a sitting (or standing, as the case may be). :)

So Luv, is your Audrey Hepbull a breeder? She looks very well bred. I'd kind of like to get an ill-bred non-breeder one with a little more snout on him or her just to try to avoid the sinus issues, but you have one beautiful little medicine-ball doggie, there. :D

I gravitate toward the medicine-ball horsey equivalents... :D

I will get you my emails address, I want to try that sauce! Although hubby is the chef around here, I'll have to sweet talk him into making it for me. ;)

And actually Audrey IS a pet quality bulldog. I wouldn't say she's not well bred, but she is not show quality by any means. For one thing she is VERY small. She only weighs 38 lbs. Her back, or topline, would really be a fault for showing too.

If you are interested in getting a bulldog, let me know. You have to be so careful with bulldogs! Far too many breed them for $$, they are expensive dogs. They don't care about their health, they just want those puppy sales.

Audrey's breathing is actually awesome, we just have to be careful with overheating and the pool. She sinks like a stone! She also LOVES!!!!! fresh shrimp! She eats hers raw though. (she only eats raw meat-nothing cooked or processed) The shells are good natural glucosamine.

Luvmybully
04-24-12, 10:21 AM
What is the latest project?

Latest project is a quilt using the same line of fabric as the bed cover.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Max%20and%20Whiskers%20pinwheels/DSC00766.jpg

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Max%20and%20Whiskers%20pinwheels/DSC00783.jpg

here is Audrey helping me check it out
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CathyandAudrey/Max%20and%20Whiskers%20pinwheels/DSC00760.jpg

Turbochica
05-16-12, 09:02 AM
Beautiful work there :)