View Full Version : metoprolol (lopressor)

Emilshere
04-11-12, 02:01 PM
Lopressor really takes away my racing heartbeat in the middle of the night that used to really bother me every time I wake up. I am concerned however... that my heart is racing for a reason... its working hard to pump enough blood through my system since I am obese... and I am afraid that by taking the palpatations and racing beats away... I will not be getting the circulation my body needs , which is why it is racing in the first place.... could this be true? Could it be better for my body to keep the racing heartbeat problem so my circulation is strong enough???

Brob2
04-11-12, 03:34 PM
Lopressor really takes away my racing heartbeat in the middle of the night that used to really bother me every time I wake up. I am concerned however... that my heart is racing for a reason... its working hard to pump enough blood through my system since I am obese... and I am afraid that by taking the palpatations and racing beats away... I will not be getting the circulation my body needs , which is why it is racing in the first place.... could this be true? Could it be better for my body to keep the racing heartbeat problem so my circulation is strong enough???

A good question only a cardiologist can answer. Theoretically, each heart has only so many beats in it, and so speeding it up increases the wear and tear on your heart and reduces it's longevity (excluding appropriate moderate exercise which can increase longevity), and also can lead to electrical problems and and sudden cardiac death.

On the other hand significant circulation reduction can lead to gangrenous extremities and amputations or kidney/renal failure, but these are extreme symptoms of poor circulation. If the circulatory problems are truly bad enough to cause this result your doctors will cut off the beat blocker meds. If not, then you are much better off saving your heart. Please bear in mind BB's often lead to weight gain in fit people so you will truly have to watch your calories.

In the end, this a balancing act your cardiologist and Family doc need to discuss together with you.

spunkysmum
04-11-12, 03:56 PM
I'm supposed to take that med, but I am sporadic at best when it comes to remembering to take it. I certainly don't manage to take one every day.

Does your heart race only at night?

Brob2
04-11-12, 05:19 PM
I'm supposed to take that med, but I am sporadic at best when it comes to remembering to take it. I certainly don't manage to take one every day.

Does your heart race only at night?

I don't want to sound like punkysmum's mum but I have to say that beta blockers are short acting and quite powerful drugs that can have more negative consequences than most if taken intermittently :faint:. Not to be sappy or anything, but we kinda like ya around here and wanna keep you :).

Spacemaster
04-11-12, 05:46 PM
I would talk to your pharmacist. The pharmacist is extremely knowledgeable of medications, and can tell you just how they work with your body.

spunkysmum
04-11-12, 07:47 PM
I don't want to sound like punkysmum's mum but I have to say that beta blockers are short acting and quite powerful drugs that can have more negative consequences than most if taken intermittently :faint:. Not to be sappy or anything, but we kinda like ya around here and wanna keep you :).

I think part of the problem is that they make me feel tired and weaker, so I put off taking them, then I forget.

ceebee
05-22-12, 12:29 PM
I personally love lopressor.