View Full Version : Temazepam Concerns - Anyone Used Flurazepam?

tambourine-man
04-12-12, 12:20 AM
So... I just emailed this letter to my p-doc...

Hello,*

I thought I was simply being obsessive but the difficult to admit truth is that I don't trust my body's reaction *to temazepam for the same reasons I don't trust anxiolytics with short half lives. Yes, temazepam certainly puts me to sleep at 15mg but then I awake a few hours later feeling very cranky and nervous. So I take my second dose but it doesn't seem to help and I'm tempted to reach for a third (though I assure you I have not). This could be related to my currently enormous stress level, as I've often relied on temazepam in the past. However, I believe this new development to be potentially problematic.*

I cannot tolerate z-drugs.*

I've been doing my research and flurazepam, though milder, has a considerably longer half life - as in WAY longer. I think 30mg of this medicine would be safer and healthier for me. I require benzos but have disturbing rebound reactions to those of briefer duration. This is why diazepam or Chlordiazepoxide are perfectly safe and life-saving for me but alprazolam or lorazepam are not.*

I've included links to verify my statements. What do you think about switching... like ASAP? I LOVE temazepam but I think it's doing more harm than good. I don't want to seem like some guilt ridden junkie (I'm not) but feel I must be honest
and responsible. The compulsion to redose due to my anxiety, insomnia and temazepam's brief duration concerns me. *I will inquire further at Branden's appointment tomorrow
and perhaps you will be kind enough write a script for this potentially less complicated substitute.*

http://www.psychiatrist.com/pcc/pccpdf/v04s01/v4s0106.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flurazepam*

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=118090

Thanks for being so understanding,*

Scotty*

--

Was this a mistake? Does anyone have experience with both? If so... what do you think?

sarahsweets
04-12-12, 06:53 AM
Hey tam man.. took restoril years ago so I only have experiance with that but is your doctor cool with you asking for things? Mine kind of is but some arent.

Maverick420
04-12-12, 10:46 PM
I switched now to classic Diazepam. It also has a long half life and smooth start action. I also was thinking of Flurazepam but it seems more complicated to withdraw from it then Diazepam.

Your signature tells me that you take up 10 mg of Diazepam daily. Why is that so? Isn't it an option to take the full dosage before sleeping? You also would have the option to increase the dose after speaking with your shrink. Diazepam has relatively wide range of therapeutically dosage. Some say up 60 mg, others up to 100 mg.

I am not a fan of mixing Benzodiazepines or Z-Drugs even I did it myself. My understand is now that it is a wise course to stay on one substance. Hope you get lucky with Flurazepam.

tambourine-man
04-13-12, 03:50 AM
He refused and kept me on the Temazepam. Weird. Diazepam is the best for my anxiety but doesn't make me sleepy.

Maverick420
04-13-12, 09:56 AM
Don't you worry to take two Benzos?

tambourine-man
04-13-12, 11:23 AM
Don't you worry to take two Benzos?

Yes. It's such a tough call. Dependency is awful
but so is constant, crippling anxiety.

known_guy
04-13-12, 05:57 PM
A little bit tangential, but have you looked into Midazolam?

oneup
04-13-12, 07:19 PM
Maybe his thoughts are that since its shorter half life, it will be less physically addictive, and better in the long run, especially if hes thinking of trying to ween you own off of benzos at some point? (or to lower the total dose?) I know benzos also have a negative impact on rem/ sleep cycle on the typical person, so this could also be part of his logic. Or could just a control thing too?

Somewhat unrelated, but michael jackson's doctor gave this line of reasoning at his trial as to why he had put mj on lorazepam, in that he wanted to ween him off of propofol.

tambourine-man
04-14-12, 08:47 PM
Maybe his thoughts are that since its shorter half life, it will be less physically addictive, and better in the long run, especially if hes thinking of trying to ween you own off of benzos at some point? (or to lower the total dose?) I know benzos also have a negative impact on rem/ sleep cycle on the typical person, so this could also be part of his logic. Or could just a control thing too?

Somewhat unrelated, but michael jackson's doctor gave this line of reasoning at his trial as to why he had put mj on lorazepam, in that he wanted to ween him off of propofol.

Shorter half-life produces greater risk of addiction and dependency. The more quickly a drug is eliminated from the body, the worse the rebound and compulsion to redose.

tambourine-man
04-14-12, 08:51 PM
So I went to the ER and received a script for four 30mg flurazepam capsules. As I expected, all issues associated with temazepam vanished and I got a full night's sleep.

I'm in a minority that prefers gentle benzos with very long half lives. Valium is perfect. I can't handle Xanax, Ativan... even Klonopin.

Temazepam = hypnotic Xanax.
Flurazepam = hypnotic diazepam.

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 08:59 AM
So I went to the ER and received a script for four 30mg flurazepam capsules. As I expected, all issues associated with temazepam vanished and I got a full night's sleep.

I'm in a minority that prefers gentle benzos with very long half lives. Valium is perfect. I can't handle Xanax, Ativan... even Klonopin.

Temazepam = hypnotic Xanax.
Flurazepam = hypnotic diazepam.

After refusing your 'request ',doesn't your Dr get ****** that u would go behind his back for dalmane? Even more surprised that the er wouldn't tell u ..."oh, cant sleep poor thing, stop evening speed and take more of the valium, which u ALREADY HAVE!" Then most er 's call your Dr, assuming they haven't completely labeled u as a drug seeker and already thrown u out the door or hospital with these request. Drs Don't like it when u want to play Dr. Er docs usually have a no- bs attitude, because they are saving peoples lives, and think an adaquitely supply of benzos on a patient, complaining of sleeplessness that takes speed is very low on the list -if on, valium has huge half life ...don't get it at all....

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 09:05 AM
A little bit tangential, but have you looked into Midazolam?

Dude, versed is used pre op shortest half -life EVER!

reflection08
04-15-12, 12:38 PM
I take temazapam at night too. With 3 Tylenol pm's and it puts me to sleep but I still wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. It also makes me feel groggy the next day but my doctor has never suggested anything else and I've never asked either. I hate the whole asking for pills thing so I just don't do it.

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 04:23 PM
I've always had success w/restoril. 30mg is pretty potent and I've takin benzos all my life..Klonopin is a good choice too. Remeron is very sedating. If you took a clonodine .1 along with a 2mg Xanax, it's potentcy is magnified significantly. If this restlessness is new', due to stress, dalmane is a quick 'patch' for the issue. The rebound you guys speak of could be from a time-release stimulant wearing off. I take dexedrine spansule at bedtime to avoid this. I chose this instead of the benzo, sedative, amnesia route with xanax and clonodine.- remeron is non addictive- check into it-very sedating and great with anxiety

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 04:31 PM
I take temazapam at night too. With 3 Tylenol pm's and it puts me to sleep but I still wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. It also makes me feel groggy the next day but my doctor has never suggested anything else and I've never asked either. I hate the whole asking for pills thing so I just don't do it.
Just tell him/her what's going on; you don't have to 'suggest' anything but say what you just told us (world):it puts me to sleep but I still wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. It also makes me feel groggy the next day good luck

If you had chronic pain or cancer, influenza,diabetes...i'm sure you'd not ask for pills , but the medicine is there to help you and keep you healthy, sleep is important/don't take your rest for granted or shy away

tambourine-man
04-15-12, 06:33 PM
After refusing your 'request ',doesn't your Dr get ****** that u would go behind his back for dalmane? Even more surprised that the er wouldn't tell u ..."oh, cant sleep poor thing, stop evening speed and take more of the valium, which u ALREADY HAVE!" Then most er 's call your Dr, assuming they haven't completely labeled u as a drug seeker and already thrown u out the door or hospital with these request. Drs Don't like it when u want to play Dr. Er docs usually have a no- bs attitude, because they are saving peoples lives, and think an adaquitely supply of benzos on a patient, complaining of sleeplessness that takes speed is very low on the list -if on, valium has huge half life ...don't get it at all....

Ok, I understand your concerns but you should probably wait to pass judgement until you have all the facts.

1. I'm autistic and deal with crippling anxiety, executive dysfunction, and insomnia.
2. I'm involved in criminal proceedings because my father was stealing from me and using my disability to his advantage.
3. My best friend just died.
4. I've lost my whole family as a result of my father'sactions.
5. My boyfriend just checked into the psych ward. I had no idea where he was for days and suspected he had killed himself.
6. My father is now doing everything he can to
destroy my career and leave me homeless.as it turns out, the doctors refusal was a rest of a defaming ands libelous letter my father sent him.
7. Temazepam makes me blackout, take more Temazepam, raid the fridge, color on the walls, etc...
8. Afraid to take the Temazepam I did not sleep for over three days enforce finally going to the ER.
9. Temazepam is, perhaps, the single most euphoric benzo in existence. Flurazepam has relatively no recreational value. That's like telling a doctor that morphine is too strong and asking to switch to codeine.
10. Have lovely evening.

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 07:21 PM
Just so you know, I'm just typing logic to me. Under usual circumstances , one might lose a Dr over what you did. I'm not going to apologize for my response because you posted your email for the world to see...then asked and knew you would receive comments. I'm not some person that has no heart , but I will tell what usually happens in an ER under described circumstances for that request. And that request is silly. I wish you wouldn't post personal issues. That's over the top. I'm sorry you are having such a tuff time. I hope everything works out okay for you, but you started to antagonize me from day 1. I do respond. That being said; I wish I could do something for you. I guess the only thing is well wishes, a prayer..

tambourine-man
04-16-12, 12:06 AM
Just so you know, I'm just typing logic to me. Under usual circumstances , one might lose a Dr over what you did. I'm not going to apologize for my response because you posted your email for the world to see...then asked and knew you would receive comments. I'm not some person that has no heart , but I will tell what usually happens in an ER under described circumstances for that request. And that request is silly. I wish you wouldn't post personal issues. That's over the top. I'm sorry you are having such a tuff time. I hope everything works out okay for you, but you started to antagonize me from day 1. I do respond. That being said; I wish I could do something for you. I guess the only thing is well wishes, a prayer..

Not discuss personal issues? I'm confused. Isn't that what these forums are for? If I lose a doctor it's his loss. Any doctor I pay is working for me. I won't compromise my personal integrity to stroke the ego of one in a thousands of doctors I may see.

ER visits are not unusual for me. Are you familiar with autistic meltdowns. Only two weeks ago I had a meltdown of such intensity that it required 3 consecutive injections of lorazepam (2mg each), one of diazepam (10mg), one of MORPHINE (5mg) and 25mg of orally administered Seroquel before I could form a sentence or stop bashing my head into the wall.

What makes me so special? Autism. We are not equipped with the same basic neurological hardware. What's good for the goose may be of no use for the gander.

An ER visit for a few 30mg capsules of Flurazepam is a simple and utterly reasonable and routine event for someone with severe neurological differences.

AddYourAll
04-16-12, 02:45 AM
Not discuss personal issues? I'm confused. Isn't that what these forums are for? If I lose a doctor it's his loss. Any doctor I pay is working for me. I won't compromise my personal integrity to stroke the ego of one in a thousands of doctors I may see.

ER visits are not unusual for me. Are you familiar with autistic meltdowns. Only two weeks ago I had a meltdown of such intensity that it required 3 consecutive injections of lorazepam (2mg each), one of diazepam (10mg), one of MORPHINE (5mg) and 25mg of orally administered Seroquel before I could form a sentence or stop bashing my head into the wall.

What makes me so special? Autism. We are not equipped with the same basic neurological hardware. What's good for the goose may be of no use for the gander.

An ER visit for a few 30mg capsules of Flurazepam is a simple and utterly reasonable and routine event for someone with severe neurological differences.
1) Do I understand autism? yes, more than most
2) Do I understand you and your uniquness? Not at all
3) In most ERs, I do know if someone is having a "meltdown", they would take then to county mental hospital in restraints
4) Do I know what you mean by meltdown? NO, not you, wasn't there
5) Did I include you in my prayer's ? Absolutely, and I hope you start feeling better, I have too much going on in my life,as you, to argue over net. I have many neurological problems as well. and we agree to disagree on stuff Lol . We are both creaters from God, no better than one another. Make Friends? If only you knew how much we have in common.....you'd laugh

tambourine-man
04-17-12, 03:49 AM
Meh... I've decided to go without. One benzo is more than enough.

SnareDrumzZz
04-23-12, 10:16 AM
Btw you were up for three days because dex not temazepam. I took that for a year and some. I stopped it relatively fine. I think you need to read what I wrote. Your issues seem psychosis related.

AddYourAll
04-23-12, 04:27 PM
restoril will knock my **** out

tambourine-man
04-24-12, 08:36 PM
Btw you were up for three days because dex not temazepam. I took that for a year and some. I stopped it relatively fine. I think you need to read what I wrote. Your issues seem psychosis related.

Yes.... I've been taking amphetamine for two years with no
issues then when overwhelmed by enormous stress and grief I have a spell of insomnia... and the amphetamines are to
blame? How does that explain the fact that I can sleep right through my morning dose if I'm not careful?

Why must you insist on painting me as a raging speed freak?

SnareDrumzZz
04-26-12, 03:21 PM
Uhhhh--- I have been on amphetamines since I was in 2nd-3rd grade. I know amphetamines. Yes I do see you as a speed freak in some ways. I don't think you understand What amphetamines do over time. Of course you can sleep through your measly 30mg sr dose if you wanted. Anyone whos tolerant can do that. Amphetamines increase any stressors you have and magnify it by 100. You may have stayed up due to the fact you hit a wall of a Psychotic reaction which amphetamines can bring out in someone whos had little sleep and angry/stressed out. Im not trying to call you a speed freak Once again I am informing you of the side effects you seem to not know much about. You may have felt fine until now because of stress and the more amphetamine you take the more that stress is magnified and builds up until you hit a wall. Then after that wall you are just looking at psychotic behaviors. You do know amphetamines can also bring out psychotic behaviors in someone if they are simply taking too much or just taking it when they dont need it or the body is just not liking it. Take all of that into consideration. It explains a majority of your issues imho.

SnareDrumzZz
04-26-12, 03:24 PM
I also want to point out dex releases dopamine ... some people get extremly relaxed when dopamine is released and comes into play.

trishcan
04-26-12, 06:49 PM
This thread is closed, pending review.