View Full Version : has anyone ever quit wellbutrin? ...what happened?

SuzzanneX
04-13-12, 09:59 AM
I've been on wellbutrin for years, and I forgot why.
.....I'd like to try and quit......
has anyone here quit, that can tell me what happened?...or if it's a good idea?

Sandy4957
04-13-12, 10:02 AM
Hey SuzzanneY. :) (misspelling intentional!)

Were your ears burning? I was talking about you over in the thread about ambidextrous folks... :)

SuzzanneX
04-13-12, 10:09 AM
hi sandy..
.....my ears were burning, I thought it was high blod pressure tho...lol

*loves you*

blgw99
04-13-12, 12:34 PM
I was put on it last year by my ******* GP, who just gave me a last prescription, with no further tips on how to taper, etc.

So I used common sense and sort of tried to taper down from 300mg a day. It gave me weird sleeping spells/extreme fatigue in the middle of the day. I also had anxiety and mood fluctuations, but that might not apply to all, depending on my specific issues.

Retromancer
04-13-12, 12:43 PM
Never had any difficulty going off it. Tapers quickly off. Has a half life of 20 hours in the body. Closer to the stimulants in chemical structure.

gracious_mama
04-13-12, 12:43 PM
I was taking it for about 6 months for severe depression. Then my doctor put me on Adderal and technically I did a no-no because I was not noticing any improvement with the stimulant and I wanted to see if maybe the wellbutrin was counteracting it somehow or if my depression was just due to my ADHD symptoms - I took myself off of it for about a week now. So far I can definately "feel" the adderal now that I am not on it but nothing is improving. I'm not anymore depressed than I was when I was on it and depressed is not the right word...discouraged. But no withdrawals or anything but I was only on 150 mg.

AddYourAll
04-15-12, 10:14 AM
I've been on wellbutrin for years, and I forgot why.
.....I'd like to try and quit......
has anyone here quit, that can tell me what happened?...or if it's a good idea?
took it for 6 weeks, gained 15lbs, migraines, stopped cold turkey and had massive headache for2-3 days (almost ER scary) i have imitrx and all

LaMbaL
04-16-12, 10:04 AM
Ive been off it for a few days, due to not having filled my prescription in time. Today I felt absolutely terrible, up until about an hour ago when I picked up my new supply.

However, it was good to refresh my memory about why I was taking this stuff. And if youve been on it for years, it might be a good idea to see how you fare without it. But I would recommend weening yourself off it very slowly, either by reducing your dosage for a while or increasing the interval in which you take it (for instance, once every two days instead of every day). Pretty much anything that you've been on for years will cause withdrawal symptoms when you try and quit, so take it easy.

hollywood
04-16-12, 11:21 AM
what exact symptoms are you speaking about ? I usually take wellbutrin for SAD all winter because I respond well to bright lights and warm climates. It's rather amazing actually. When around bright warm weather I don't seem to have any issues. Yet , a funk of some sort seems to sink in otherwise. Yeah, for what it's worth if I don't wean myself off wellbutrin slowly I feel like garbage. I have been on 300xl . I was on 150xl and then went up to 300xl and then I got really stable results. After some time I don't know maybe I was too focused on zoned alot of other things out but then I weaned off 300xl to 150 and have felt like crap ever sense. I guess there is an aweful wean off of it. I know I feel fine once it's gone. I just need to get it out of my system. Not alot to say or do about it. It sucks, but it's necessary.

SuzzanneX
04-16-12, 09:24 PM
I start crying about EVERYTHING if I quit 3 days....
......thanks for all your replies. *loves all*
I'm off adderrall till friday (payday).....maybe I'll try to quit then,
and the adderrall will trump the cry baby thing.

hollywood
04-17-12, 03:30 PM
did you take more than you had allotted ? Maybe you should supplement provigil with your stims. I have found that it takes provigil and nuvigil a month for the steady effect , but its a very level focus. Quality, no dips and smooth. I'm just saying that maybe the combination would increase your overall desired effects. In my opinion wellbutrin must have done something to feelings of depression that I've had. I don't take it and seemingly I am more focused and scattered on what is bothering me and I've found that this feeling soon takes over. I certainly feel in my situation it was the environment that I let take over. Anyways , best of luck.

hollywood
05-30-12, 03:38 PM
Yeah I stop wellbutrin every summer and restart around october every year once it starts to get darker sooner. It's not a huge deal stopping. You basically have about 4 days worth of crash. Your energy levels drop tremendously and you will feel pretty tired for 4 maybe 5 days ( I'd give it a week and by the second week you will be feeling better once again). Just remember it takes a few weeks to adjust just like it did when you started wellbutrin. If you recall it always takes me about 2 maybe 3 weeks to propery adjust to starting wellbutrin and then it's in the background. As I recall when I start wellbutrin in the fall every year I pretty much remember my memory getting screwed up for the first couple of weeks and after that I don't even remember that my memory turns to mush. So basically the good thing is in a few weeks ( should be 4-5 days) your going to start to actually remember things.... I know very cool! The bad part is then you may or may not recall why you were on wellbutrin. For me it wasn't for the energy lift ( although thats never bad) its because wellbutrin is good for helping with distraction when your constantly bored or drifting ...Yet overtime you want your memory back.

Abi
05-30-12, 03:42 PM
All psych meds, as a general rule, should be tapered slowly.

Having said that, due to some delays recently, I was without Wellbutrin for a week.
I experienced no withdrawal symptoms, just lack of focus, energy and motivation (which is my baseline state when off Wellbutrin)

So in my experience there are no significant withdrawal symptoms, unlike with SSRIs and benzos where withdrawal is a ~itch.

Tho again, I'll reiterate, its always best to taper slowly :)

hollywood
05-30-12, 03:56 PM
Abi,

Yeah , I would agree with you . Thats pretty much what I have going on right now. Lol. The thing I noticed is that for me the last time I stopped wellbutrin it took about 4-8 days to get my energy levels back . Then after a few weeks I felt good again but my memory and focus later in the day and when I wanted seemed better. Meaning I was better with directions, what I wanted to do and putting difficult things and ideas together. So i guess I'm smarter without wellbutrin but I may be more productive with wellbutrin. There is a bit of misguided energy of steam engine fire with wellbutrin as you probably are well aware. I find the 150 dose more energizing while the 300 level dose kind of starts to deter memory and learning and strip me of my personality ....yet even a better worker...So basically wellbutrin helps me at work tremendously and I'm always on point while on the 300mg dose at work. Yet , I'm not as smart. So, I'm hoping I can pull it off while taking off it this time. I will see . I am definitely more distracted while off it . Yet , my stimulants have more pop when I'm not on wellbutrin.

425runner
05-31-12, 09:02 PM
When I was on it for a long time, I'd take 150 mg every other day for a week and then stop. This time, I quit cold turkey after 3 weeks. Couldn't stand being dizzy and being so emotional over everything. And..it interferes with my memory and I need to be sharp. Taking Huperzine A now, 100 mcg/day plan to go up to 200 mcg/day it actually makes me feel very happy and able to focus. Well..that plus Mg Threonate, maca, fish oils etc.

hollywood
06-01-12, 09:32 AM
Well, back on wellbutrin. I took 3 weeks off and had no desire to be at my job. It didnt' take long to realize what I was up to before I reverted to the old days prior to wellbutrin. I'm on 150 sr now and will probably go xl 150 or go to two 150 wellbutrin sr's daily for a 300mg total. I know that will bring my interest and drive right back. I'm two days back on 150 wellbutrin and have felt alot better. It's amazing what small changes can bring. So the plan as of now is probably to hit 300xl or stay at 150 for a month on wellbutrin and add cymbalta at night since it seems like its the only one I can sleep on . Its that or prozac since those are the only ones that have worked for me with limited decrease in memory. I'd say I liked effexor because I felt normal on it but I found it more sedating in just a few days than I do cymbalta. The difference is cymbalta decreases memory more initially. Any suggestions .

425runner
06-01-12, 12:13 PM
Well..well...well...I'm back on the Wellbutrin wagon as well. I want to take a break from Vyvanse cause this shi* crapped out on me and I feel mentally drained....started with 150mg XL and mood is better already. I plan on taking 350 mg N-acetyl-l-tyrosine in the morning upon awakening, so at 3:15 am on an empty stomach to restore dopamine levels. Theoretically, since Wellbutrin is NDRI this should make it work better.

MishaMisha123
08-25-12, 01:47 PM
I was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression. I didn't notice any immediate affects, but over time, I realized I didn't awful anymore. I lost a little bit of weight, which was great as the depression had added weight. I had to stop because of the side effects....profuse sweating. It was awful, and the odor was something I had never smelled on myself before...the strongest BO I've ever smelled, even though I showered daily, only wore clean clothes, and used antiperspirant. I would wash my clothes, but as soon as the under-arm section got damp or warm from wearing, the smell came right back. Every time I took off a shirt, I would spray the under-arms in vinegar to help get the smell out in the wash. It got to the point where I would cut up a wash cloth into quarters and put under my arms, sometimes with those big band aids, to absorb the sweat. Not even certain-dri would help with the profuse sweating. I would be around a group of friends, and everyone looked cool as a cucumber, while my face was dripping with sweat.

If I didn't have that side effect, I would still be on it. Unfortunately, worrying about smelling and soaking through the underarms of my clothes all the time made me stop. It's odd, because I'm one of those people that NEVER notices any of the side effects of other medications. In fact, medications often don't seem to affect me.

MishaMisha123
08-25-12, 02:39 PM
Guess you can't edit your own posts here. :( My typos bug me.

I meant effect, not affect &
I realized I didn't FEEL awful anymore.

SuzzanneX
08-26-12, 05:27 AM
I did quit. since the day I wrote this post. not too big a deal.

hollywood
08-26-12, 09:02 AM
And how did you find the results? I think i quit yesterday. Its really the morning after that makes you feel like persisting with wellbutrin since it gives a small boost in the morning. After that though it sucks.

magniloquentcun
12-25-12, 09:57 AM
any permanent benefit after quitting WB?