View Full Version : DBT - Success Stories?

known_guy
04-13-12, 06:09 PM
I was referred to a DBT group for women (upon hearing that, the look on my face clearly made it so my social worker dropped that suggestion).

While I was in intensive treatment, I learned CBT and some DBT. Something about some of the concepts is just beyond me. Particularly the concepts of Radical Acceptance. I would make snarky remarks when learning to use Mindfulness exercises for distress tolerance. Staying in the present moment. These ideas are just beyond my comprehension, beyond the scope of what I'm capable of understanding. I don't like it, I don't get it, I don't think this would work for me (especially for someone like me), I almost think it's blind ignorance. Or I don't know. Making sense-observations about like nature or trees and stuff, noting that the leaves are red? I don't get it. During Mindfulness exercises my mind wanders, which is something it always does. I'm always dreamily thinking about stuff. [I put this thread in this section because I associate DBT with borderline personality disorder.]

I was hoping I could hear input from people who had positive experiences, descriptions of how it was beneficial, etc. It'll be, would have been, or is much appreciated.

Sir5r1
04-14-12, 01:42 AM
DBT was developed by Marsha Linehan for sufferers of borderline personality disorder. There are ADHD people that can become BPD. I use mindfulness and radical acceptance myself in my relationship with my wife who is BPD. Radical acceptance is accepting things the way they are and understanding we have no power over the things we can not change and accepting that we can only change ourselves.
For example my wife may make my life difficult at times, I can't change her behavior, I can only choose not to let those behaviors effect me.

Mindfulness is developing a constant awareness, being cognitive of everything around you and realizing that your emotions may have an effect on you but you choose to let
Those emotions effect you.

That's how I understand it.