View Full Version : Brain Lobotomy to cure adhd and ocd.

TheChemicals
04-13-12, 08:51 PM
True story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0aNILW6ILk&feature=related

Flory
04-13-12, 08:53 PM
seems legit ....:)

TheChemicals
04-13-12, 08:56 PM
listen to it at 3.50 mark. Guy was doing lobotomies on people with adhd.

Flory
04-13-12, 09:05 PM
psychosurgery is messed up...it still happens (not adhd of course) in a few rare cases over here...roughly 5 operations in the whole of the country per annum....reserved for the seriously seriously sick

TheChemicals
04-13-12, 09:11 PM
psychosurgery is messed up...it still happens (not adhd of course) in a few rare cases over here...roughly 5 operations in the whole of the country per annum....reserved for the seriously seriously sick

would you get a lobotomy if it meant curing your adhd?

eclectic beagle
I was reading an abstract from a very outdated psychiatric journal, which claimed that after a lobotomy certain individuals had increased objectivity, better attention, and less peculiar responses while having an IQ test administered to them. However, I don't support lobotomies.

Flory
hell....nooooo :D i like the H...for the most part...its the people around me that have a problem not meeeeee

Flory
04-13-12, 09:12 PM
you and me both nomad

mctavish23
04-13-12, 09:14 PM
In truth, that would be the single worse thing you could do, as removing that part of

the brain would "create" TBI related "acquired" type; only much worse.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

ginniebean
04-13-12, 09:14 PM
The history of people with mental disorders and illnesses is a dark one.

eclectic beagle
04-13-12, 09:18 PM
In truth, that would be the single worse thing you could do, as removing that part of

the brain would "create" TBI related "acquired" type; only much worse.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

I'll see if I can find that abstract I was referring to, but it said that better attention was observed in some individuals, but not in others. The better attention could have occurred due to the lobotomy having a positive effect on severe mental illness. But yeah, I wouldn't advise the procedure.

Flory
04-13-12, 09:20 PM
my mum still remembers a relative from a generation above her in an asylum for 'moral sin' i.e having a baby out of wedlock...she stayed in there for years and years and was never able to cope in society after she had left

mctavish23
04-13-12, 09:26 PM
Hmmm...

Having thoughts on a research study on...

"The Impact of Lobotomies on Personality Disordered Professionals" :yes:

From an unrestricted grant by the Stihl Chainsaw Company.

Published in Popular Mechanics. :giggle:

Hmmm...

:cool:

eclectic beagle
04-13-12, 09:31 PM
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x952046576561443/

Interesting, anyway. However, supposedly this study contradicted an earlier one where intellectual impairment was observed following bilateral prefrontal lobotomy.

TheChemicals
04-13-12, 09:40 PM
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x952046576561443/

Interesting, anyway. However, supposedly this study contradicted an earlier one where intellectual impairment was observed following the bilateral prefrontal lobotomy.

no loss of intelligence but slower response....i wonder how slow.

eclectic beagle
04-13-12, 09:43 PM
no loss of intelligence but slower response....i wonder how slow.

When bringing up intellectual impairment, I was referring to the earlier study mentioned in the article. "Their study contradicts an earlier one by Porteus and Kepner" start reading from their and you'll see what I mean.

Flory
04-13-12, 09:48 PM
i can't remember off hand the name of the case but it was pretty big, a guy had undergone psychosurgery and the hippocampus was damaged, he was never able to form or de-code memories again..i think it led to lots of research into the field of memory

Spacemaster
04-13-12, 09:55 PM
Sometimes I suspect I've been given a lobotomy :eyebrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHITbssu9RE

Flory
04-13-12, 10:03 PM
lol space....you need to shave your hair and check for scars :p

TheChemicals
04-13-12, 10:06 PM
Very possible you could have been lobotimized.

By the late 1970s the practice of lobotomy had generally ceased, but some countries continued to use other forms of psychosurgery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosurgery). In 2001 there were, for example, 70 operations in Belgium, about 15 in the UK and about 15 a year at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, while France had carried out operations on about 5 patients a year in the early 1980s.

Anna3000
04-13-12, 10:15 PM
Hmmm...

Having thoughts on a research study on...

"The Impact of Lobotomies on Personality Disordered Professionals" :yes:

From an unrestricted grant by the Stihl Chainsaw Company.

Published in Popular Mechanics. :giggle:

Hmmm...

:cool:

I have a group of recruits for your research project - do I get some cash for bringing the subjects to you? That ain't unethical, is it? (I am referring to the cash part- not the lobotomy aspect of your proposal). :)

Conman
04-14-12, 01:15 AM
really? a lobotomy? i thought we've advanced enough to not resort to that, im pretty sure we learned that's like 'making a deal with the devil' of psychological treatment since it's irreversible. the last resort for if ECT doesnt even work. i think it might be used today only for exceptionally disturbed schizophreniacs or other extreme cases nothing else works on...but ADHD or OCD? i dont know about that

fracturedstory
04-14-12, 01:23 AM
I was reading an abstract from a very outdated psychiatric journal, which claimed that after a lobotomy certain individuals had increased objectivity, better attention, and less peculiar responses while having an IQ test administered to them. However, I don't support lobotomies.
Or died or ended up with severe mental disabilities.

Rosemary Kennedy comes to mind.

They do use it still on severe cases of epilepsy though.

Hyperman87
04-18-12, 12:47 PM
I don't think that'd be right for ADHD I mean maybe? Deep Brain Stimulation now that I'm on board for. :lol:

Fraser_0762
04-18-12, 03:47 PM
I feel like enough peaces of my brain are missing. I don't need a "professional" to remove some more.