View Full Version : Paleo and ADHD?

PookDo
04-14-12, 04:21 PM
Looking at going primal/paleo a week from today. Tired of not having any energy half way through my day and I've done low carb before and loved it. Anyone else do it or have any thoughts?

ginniebean
04-14-12, 04:44 PM
Well, I have found it gives a bit more energy, tho not a whole lot more focus.

pechemignonne
04-14-12, 04:52 PM
"Paleo" diets are not really any more "natural" or in fact accurately "paleolithic" than any other diet.

It's kind of just a fad, there aren't any health benefits and in fact there might be serious dangers.

The best diet is a diet of mostly fruits, vegetables and grains, with some animal protein. In general that would be the healthiest.

"Carbs" are not bad for you. Refined carbohydrates, especially in large quantities, are what cause health problems. In other words, white sugar- or even worse, high-fructose corn syrup (present in many processed foods).

Your body reacts to foods differently based on the form that you take them, in other words, a "carb" as in a potato or a cup of brown rice does not have the same effects on your body as a "carb" as in a ding-dong or a can of soda.

So, if you stick to whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies, you should have more energy.

Retromancer
04-14-12, 05:47 PM
But you won't have the pleasure of saying you are on a 'Paleo' diet -- or what ever is the fad of the day.

As far as I am concerned chocolate is an essential component of any diet.

"Paleo" diets are not really any more "natural" or in fact accurately "paleolithic" than any other diet.

It's kind of just a fad, there aren't any health benefits and in fact there might be serious dangers.

The best diet is a diet of mostly fruits, vegetables and grains, with some animal protein. In general that would be the healthiest.

"Carbs" are not bad for you. Refined carbohydrates, especially in large quantities, are what cause health problems. In other words, white sugar- or even worse, high-fructose corn syrup (present in many processed foods).

Your body reacts to foods differently based on the form that you take them, in other words, a "carb" as in a potato or a cup of brown rice does not have the same effects on your body as a "carb" as in a ding-dong or a can of soda.

So, if you stick to whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies, you should have more energy.

Fuzzy12
04-14-12, 06:06 PM
Pook, I agree with Peche. Carbs aren't bad for you, especially not complex carbs. When I'm fasting (or avoiding carbs), the first thing that goes out of the window is any ability to concentrate/focus/think.

I guess the best diet for your overall health is a balanced one which includes all the major food groups.

From Wikipedia:

Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, roots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root), and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legumes), dairy products (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_products), salt, refined sugar, and processed oils (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Processed_oils&action=edit&redlink=1)

I don't think it's a big problem if you reduce your salt, refined sugar and processed oils intake. Not sure about dairy. But I'd try not to reduce grains and legumes too drastically.

CheekyMonkey
04-14-12, 09:03 PM
I'm already half way there being gluten and dairy free, as well as low-fat. I refuse to give up any other food categories!

kstate23
11-10-13, 08:17 PM

I disagree. I believe you want mostly animal products (meat and eggs) and then a lot of vegetables. Lastly, fruit and grains in moderation.

kstate23
11-10-13, 08:18 PM
I'm already half way there being gluten and dairy free, as well as low-fat. I refuse to give up any other food categories!

Well, the paleo diet is actually high fat, not low-fat...

nothing
11-10-13, 09:11 PM
the paleo diet is completely unnecessary. theres nothing wrong with carbs, we humans process them very well and they aren't in any way harmful to us.

[practitioners] are also heavily against grains, especially wheat. despite what they tell you, most people can handle bread just fine.

dvdnvwls
11-11-13, 02:46 AM
I do think there's a "grain" of truth (ha ha) in the ideas behind many of the fad diets. But paleo is indeed just a fad and nothing more. It doesn't have any better claim to health than other fad diets. However, one of the few good things that fad diets do is temporarily disallow people's stupid habits. If you stop eating bread, then you can't over-eat bread. :) But bread is not wrong or evil - it's simply that too much bread all the time is not good. Many people are eating too much bread all the time. If you tell people you have magic health for them but they have to stop eating bread and stop eating sugar, then some of them will believe you, and some of them will feel better because they ate less bread. That's really all it is. Really. The entire good that the paleo diet and similar diets are doing is "Eat less flour and sugar, OK?"

mrs. dobbs
01-11-14, 04:41 AM
Could there be some individual genetic rationale for altering the ratio of proteins to carbs? E.g. you inherited some pastoralist ancestor's gene for metabolizing or utilizing x food? Or get postprandial syndrome/adrenergic receptor hypersensitivity with certain foods?

I feel much better with a high protein to carb ratio. This includes nuts.