View Full Version : Which ssri doesn't make you tired and slow?

hollywood
04-15-12, 10:30 PM
I just don't know what to do anymore . I am always tired

Maverick420
04-16-12, 02:21 AM
How about trying Desipramine? It is an old trizylic antidepressant with good effects on energy and ADD. It is a classic.

Drewbacca
04-16-12, 10:27 PM
Are you sure that nothing else, physically speaking, is going on?

oneup
04-16-12, 10:29 PM
Is it your allergy medicine?

hollywood
04-17-12, 03:37 PM
Thanks for your responses. No, I am not certain that other things are not adding in. In fact , I'm quite certain they are.

I never had feelings of allergy related stuff like dizziness and confusion on the west coast. In the southeast all the pollen and air is really getting to me , but the issue is that there is no lapse. Its all the time, there is no break in this southeast. It's really bad. I get a few months of cold or when I leave and vacation to the beach I start feeling good , but then I come back and this feeling returns.

I also have sleep apnea and a narrowed nasal passageway which depletes the amount of oxygen I breathe and am abe to use when I sleep so I feel that my apap mask is not cutting it all the way.

Although since treatment I'm feeling tons better, I have the option of nuvigil and or provigil and have found that all of this stuff tiredness and fatigue and all that subside tremendously . Heck after a month I don't even think about it, yet I stopped because I figured to myself that I would rather be on less meds than more.

The more tired and sleepy I am the worse my adhd is . I thought that even so , that thinking about it even if present and focusing on the symptoms is some sort of anxiety . I say this because when something pops up I go right back into focusing on whats wrong. It's not easy , because I've lived most of my life with worrying but never at this magnitude or consistency. Proof I guess that I'm in the wrong environment as well as having allergies and all that stuff.

It is my believe personally that people with depression and anxiety have physical issues like allergies and mold sensitivities that spike and lead to confusion then the lead to obsessing over them when they happen. Yet, over thinking problems leads to nothing.

oneup
04-22-12, 08:46 PM
Have you ever tried the feingold diet? Among the subset of people with ADHD and allergies its supposed to work better. I'm suggesting this more as an alternative to allergy management per se, not necessarily for ADHD symptoms. I tried it for a while and I noticed it really helped my allergies and asthma, and my energy level was somewhat higher. Although, I lacked the willpower to stick to it long term.

My allergy medicine definitely makes me a little tired and out of it, but when my allergies are really bad I'm also really tired, can't get anything accomplished, and this time of year, everything is in bloom. I think when I was on nuvigil, this is really what it helped with the most--side effects like sleepiness from allergy meds, so that I was at my best every day. But now, I just drink alot of coffee to balance out the allergy meds.

I think there is some research linking allergies, inflammation, anxiety, and depression, that when the body is in an inflammatory state, we are more subject to depression and anxiety, and vice versa, not necessarily on a causative basis, but more in that one can worsen the other.

hollywood
04-22-12, 09:24 PM
I am starting to realize that I focus far better with nuvigil . I think I need the full 225 dose though , sometimes with nuvigil it feels as if it takes me awhile to bounce back in the evenings when the dose is too low and I rebound. What are your thoughts

hollywood
04-22-12, 09:25 PM
Prozac or lexapro?

silivrentoliel
04-22-12, 09:31 PM
You mentioned allergies in the SE, I'm guessing you're talking about the US, right? lol

Anyway, I use a generic form of Claritin D that helps... and it's not just the pseudoephedrine, because I've tried other allergy meds w/ that in it and they suck. Plain ol' pseudoephedrine works but it's hard to get that prescribed.

As for the actual question as to what SSRI doesn't make you tired and slow? No idea. I take Zoloft and don't feel that way- although I have noticed it cuts the life of my Concerta in half (or more).

hollywood
04-22-12, 10:07 PM
Yeah I got that effect from ssris too , do I guess many people find it cuts duration if effect in half

oneup
04-22-12, 10:09 PM
I am starting to realize that I focus far better with nuvigil . I think I need the full 225 dose though , sometimes with nuvigil it feels as if it takes me awhile to bounce back in the evenings when the dose is too low and I rebound. What are your thoughts

I was taking it PRN, half a tab was better (of nuvigil). I was on 150mg dose, so that would be 75mg. But when I was taking it daily, the full dose was better. I usually broke it in half though still, and took half when I first woke up, then the other half a few hours later, to try to make it smoother, and this seemed to help.

hollywood
04-22-12, 10:15 PM
It's odd , if I take 150 I feel good but the afternoons are done .. Like rebound or something . I guess that means I need 225 but that keeps me up initially . I haven't done 225 for more than a week . I am not on it now , I was in march
For the whole month and went off it . When I stopped I was tired or have been for 3 weeks . Finally I feel normal energy wise . So I am not sure about going back on ? What do you think, I don't like feeling tired for a month when stopping .. Rough

escott
04-22-12, 10:30 PM
I have taken Paxil, Zoloft, cymbalta,Effexor, etc... And they all made me tired. Also side effects are big problem. You might want to look into that.

hollywood
04-22-12, 10:32 PM
Yeah I got the same too ,
That's the reason I added Nuvigil in the first place . It's the only way I can kind of tolerate them but it still sucked

sarahsweets
04-23-12, 05:02 AM
Hollywood I forget if you've mentioned if you have a sleep disorder. Do you or jusy adhd?

hollywood
04-23-12, 09:46 AM
yeah I have sleep apnea. Some days I wake up and feel great, other days not so great. It's invariable. Not sure what is affecting what . I think I'm going to need an ssri , it seems like it's the only way to shift my focus from problems to solution.

oneup
04-23-12, 01:29 PM
It's odd , if I take 150 I feel good but the afternoons are done .. Like rebound or something . I guess that means I need 225 but that keeps me up initially . I haven't done 225 for more than a week . I am not on it now , I was in march
For the whole month and went off it . When I stopped I was tired or have been for 3 weeks . Finally I feel normal energy wise . So I am not sure about going back on ? What do you think, I don't like feeling tired for a month when stopping .. Rough

Egh I can understand your reservations, not sure I would want to go back on it either and risk the withdrawal effects like that. I didn't really notice that myself when I stopped, but I did notice some tolerance building by the second month. If you try breaking the pill in half (150mg) you might get better results without the insomnia, taking half in AM, the other half maybe 4 hours later like I did, to avoid the afternoon crash. But depending on your day, it might be a pain to micro-manage it like this. I wasn't on an ADHD med at the time though, I'm not sure how they work together, but this could explain why you experienced more ups and downs from it (and tired feeling when stopping)? Really this is just a guess though. But I can see why you might want to try something else.

Its a funky medication. I wish more was known about how it worked in people, most of the papers on how it works that I've found were more or less conjecture, and its use in the US I think is only recently. I developed an allergy or sensitivity to it and had to stop, it was playing havoc with my digestive process, but my reaction is rare. My sleep issues are better now thankfully though.

hollywood
04-23-12, 03:28 PM
Well it worked no doubt but I kept having a huge fall off . Let me clarify. If I took 150 in the morning at noon I was done, there was not alot of productivity thereafter that . I'm not really totally certain. Maybe that was just before lunch that I felt blasted. Its really weird. So , I guess the 150 dose for the most part didn't last long and seemed to probably rebound the same time that my focalin rebounded which brought me even lower. Its a crappy cycle to be in. I know that when I took 225 I was fine the whole day. I kind of thought to myself , and pondered I wonder how long this will last? I also noted to myself that crashes for me seemed to be alot stronger since I had added wellbutrin many many months ago well before the winter of 2011. So it's been awhile that I've been on wellbutrin and I think that wellbutrin can have that up down effect as well. Overall I am more scattered but don't really have fatigue on stimulants alone. So I kind of thought in the back of my head I don't want to just keep adding and adding. I think I may want to eliminate wellbutrin as well. I know, it's been great for motivation and drive when I seemingly lost my ability to feel not depressive when I went on it in late september of 2011. So I've been on wellbutrin for 7 months now. I honestly think I'm at my limit with wellbutrin as well, I just cannot be on it forever. It will wear you out, I've come to realize. So , I think I'm dealing with allergies and ups and downs of two drugs besides stimulants. The only reason I havent stopped wellbutrin is because I didn't want to make changes while still taking online courses.

oneup
04-23-12, 04:55 PM
ugh that sounds awful, re: the nuvigil

Fuzzy12
04-23-12, 05:35 PM
I know you reacted badly to Zoloft, so that's probably not an option but it's not making me tired or slow at all. On the contrary. Hope you find something that works for you soon. I guess, it's also worth checking out if there is an underlying physical cause. I don't think SSRI's are supposed to make you tired and slow. :scratch:

buddy
04-23-12, 06:30 PM
I've been on Paxil 60mgs. daily for over 6yrs.It doesn't make me tired or sluggish at all.When you find the right AD it should relieve your symptoms & make you feel better.Good luck.

escott
04-23-12, 07:33 PM
Everyone is different Paxil gave me horrible side effects that don't need to be mentioned. Some people search and never find one that suits them but I have always felt somewhat sluggish on them. Just a thought

hollywood
04-24-12, 11:53 AM
Well I have sleep apnea so I'm sure that plays into the equation initially. I have tried a host of ssris and it seems like they help initially and then go south. It could be that I have days where my sleep is just not restful etc. I can tell you that provigil and nuvigil helped alot , but for me thinking long term I just cannot fathom taking it long term as I don't know exactly what its doing and the fact that it takes several weeks to feel normal again is a red flag. Thats about it . Oh , and I'm one of many who have posted about feeling flat and groggy and slow on ssri's. Of course thats how I'm feeling today. Lol. Yet I decided to cut from 300xl of wellbutrin to 150 xl and get off that crap too. I need to get back to baseline for a bit to see whats up.

hollywood
06-01-12, 04:16 PM
Well it's official , for better or worse I"m stopping cpap . It's an endless road to nothing . I'm so sick of using the thing it makes me angry to think about it. I guess I'm considering an ssri still because I've made zero progress since stopping wellbutrin and the low dose ssri. I think I need a larger dose , but my work environment is not really that normal. I make one tiny mistake and it's shoved in front of my face like its in new yorks grand central station. So sick of this crap.

Vector
06-02-12, 01:58 PM
Sertraline (Zoloft) is probably the most benign ssri when it comes to side-effects like sleepiness and slowness.

hollywood
06-03-12, 03:31 PM
What would be more activating cymbalta or effexor

Vector
06-04-12, 12:50 PM
What would be more activating cymbalta or effexor

I read this yesterday, but couldn't tell you anything conclusive. Probably you should start with Cymbalta and if this doesn't do the job you can try Effexor.

Personally, Effexor does not suit me well while I am now on Cymbalta and it works very well for me.

Important: if you decide to take Cymbalta, you should get a liver check every 6-12 months by your GP.

Disclaimer: I am not educated in any medicine related subjects. My opinion above is just based on what I read on the internet.

hollywood
06-04-12, 04:30 PM
I've come to my decision. It's been a very difficult verdict to come to terms with as I hate any forms of feeling slow or sedated. Yet, while at work in this office I am dominating by habitual patternistic thinking and it's clear to me now that this will keep going and going and there is no break in the pattern. It will take over my very life if I don't take something. I hate it , it only goes away when I am not at work and on vacation and far away. That is how strong the feelings are now attached to my current job. I guess thats either extreme shell shock or hatred for working under my father. I took cymbalta and it went right away. It makes things a bit difficult to understand. I hope this fades.

hollywood
06-05-12, 03:00 PM
Well , I took cymbalta yesterday around 1pm. So after I took it I felt finally calm for an hour and then I started feeling like I couldn't remember things when asked and my eyes felt overly lazy. So after I that I worked out and felt pretty laid back the whole night, not much got done. Today this morning I was pretty laid back and almost didn't make it to work on time but I wasn't obsessing at all. It took me 3 hours to do a simple task. Now at 3pm and I haven't taken the dose like I did yesterday I'm kind of zonked out. I need to do a few tasks for a new job but I just cant muster the drive. Weird. Is this just ongoing.... I'm so tired of this.

Nibs91
02-09-13, 12:55 PM
Hey Hollywood how are u feeling?
Just read this thread and it seems as though you and I are in the same situation. Although I've never tried Nuvigil and I don't think I have sleep apnea. I took wellbutrin for 3 months at 300mg XL and it did absolutely nothing. My doc switched me to prozc and it was rough for a few weeks. But after a month I felt clear and happy. I don't know how to describ eit but I felt soon top of things. Then my doc increased my dose to 20mgs and few days later I started feeling like crap again. I'm now hoping that it's just side effects from the increased dosage.

I'm so foggy and I'm drinking coffee like it's nothing.

hollywood
02-10-13, 01:22 AM
Wellbutrin is okay. I don't really know, I do feel wellbutrin screws my memory up , yet my drive seems good with it . Prozac is alot better than the other ssris but its difficult adjusting as ssris make you feel terrible

starry
02-10-13, 01:57 AM
My experience with anti-depressants:

Paxil (didn't do anything to cure my depression)

Wellbutrin (worked but wasn't strong enough to lift my depression)

Effexor (was sleepy and wired at the same time, but couldn't sleep at all, nor was I able to be productive, since I was too sleepy. Gave me terrible anxiety. I quit taking it in the 1st month.)

Prozac (worked pretty decent with some very surprising positive sexual side effects. Extremely uncommon effect, since it has the opposite effect on most people. Also an uncommon effect that it made me sleepy when taken during the day. So I took it before going to sleep every night and slept like a baby. This effect only happened during the 1st round that I've taken Prozac. Years later when I started taking it again, it would keep me awake if taken at night time. So I started taking it in the day. No sleepiness. Note: it changed my personality, mostly for the better, but also made me avoidant when it came to dealing with boring/serious things in life, became too spiritual, not caring about material things even when it came down to losing them. No will to fight or flight whatsoever. Loss of ambition. Ended up being a recipe for disaster in the long term. Made me too comfortable and too accepting. Not always a good thing. I've read about people who have given away all of their material possessions to random people after being on Prozac for a while. It's in the book: "Prozac".)

hollywood
02-10-13, 12:25 PM
Well then that's not very warranting . Basically wellbutrin is about the only one that has a positive profile on slight depression and adhd and a little on depression . I am on generic wellbutrin and its not as effective as brand wellbutrin . Additionally , low dose Prozac and higher wellbutrin although not perfect is probably best

Nibs91
02-10-13, 02:57 PM
My experience with anti-depressants:

Paxil (didn't do anything to cure my depression)

Wellbutrin (worked but wasn't strong enough to lift my depression)

Effexor (was sleepy and wired at the same time, but couldn't sleep at all, nor was I able to be productive, since I was too sleepy. Gave me terrible anxiety. I quit taking it in the 1st month.)

Prozac (worked pretty decent with some very surprising positive sexual side effects. Extremely uncommon effect, since it has the opposite effect on most people. Also an uncommon effect that it made me sleepy when taken during the day. So I took it before going to sleep every night and slept like a baby. This effect only happened during the 1st round that I've taken Prozac. Years later when I started taking it again, it would keep me awake if taken at night time. So I started taking it in the day. No sleepiness. Note: it changed my personality, mostly for the better, but also made me avoidant when it came to dealing with boring/serious things in life, became too spiritual, not caring about material things even when it came down to losing them. No will to fight or flight whatsoever. Loss of ambition. Ended up being a recipe for disaster in the long term. Made me too comfortable and too accepting. Not always a good thing. I've read about people who have given away all of their material possessions to random people after being on Prozac for a while. It's in the book: "Prozac".)

I wouldn't mind being comfortable. That's actually all I want from my medications. I don't want them to make me happy or high or anything like that. I just want to be comfortable.

Well then that's not very warranting . Basically wellbutrin is about the only one that has a positive profile on slight depression and adhd and a little on depression . I am on generic wellbutrin and its not as effective as brand wellbutrin . Additionally , low dose Prozac and higher wellbutrin although not perfect is probably best

I haven't tried brand wellbutrin and I'm not about to pay for it, lol. But the 2 months I was on Bupropion XL 300, it had no effect, positive or negative. My psych was somewhat flabbergasted because it's supposed to be activating and it had no effect on me what so ever.

If this "tired all the time" side effect doesnt go away I am not sure what to do at that point.

hollywood
02-10-13, 11:59 PM
Oh ,
Your tired all the time now ? I didn't know that was what you were going through . In my experience with ssris it gets worse and worse

425runner
02-11-13, 12:18 AM
Yeah, all SSRIs make me feel more depressed and totally kill my ambition. Wellbutrin XL 150, the Watson brand, is what works...not enough to make me feel happy and what not but it does help with anxiety and avoidance/depression. I go off of it every once in a while just to see if I can manage without it but after 2-3 weeks I start feeling wimpy again so I start the Wellbutrin again.

hollywood
02-11-13, 12:44 AM
Pretty much the same thing here . I think 30o is better kind of just cannot recall as much

hollywood
02-11-13, 10:30 PM
Hellllo why are ssris horrible

Nibs91
02-12-13, 11:08 AM
Oh ,
Your tired all the time now ? I didn't know that was what you were going through . In my experience with ssris it gets worse and worse

Yeah I'm extremely spacey and cannot think. And TIREDDDD.

I haven't really seen any benefits yet from the prozac. My memory and concentration still suck. I'm so tempted to take 2 of my adderalls lol. Would be easier then mega dosing on coffee :giggle:

MellyFishButt
02-12-13, 11:26 AM
I take lexapro before bed and in the morning I am great without brain fog all day. I am also on a lower dose, but it might be something to consider.

Nibs91
02-12-13, 12:20 PM
I take lexapro before bed and in the morning I am great without brain fog all day. I am also on a lower dose, but it might be something to consider.

Do you wake up without brain fog or is it after you take your adderall that your brain fog disappears? My brain fog disappears once I take my adderall but I'm still tired and can't really concentrate/focus. I do take my prozac and adderall together

hollywood
02-13-13, 01:55 AM
Trying low dose celexa at night we shall see

Nibs91
02-13-13, 10:43 AM
Trying low dose celexa at night we shall see

Celexa turned me into a crying 20 year old guy. I was literally crying every day for 2 months and I finally quit that crap. :(

I hope it works for you though.

TagEHeuer
02-13-13, 11:14 AM
I'm on Amitriptyline, I take it before bed. In the day I'm fine, not tired at all. Maybe you should try that.

BellaVita
02-13-13, 12:31 PM
For me, Lexapro(10mg) has been a major blessing.

Pros:
Lots of energy
Happy
Finally feel like myself
Social anxiety is at the lowest it's been in yeeaaars, which pretty much means I'm not afraid to talk alot/speak for myself. And, I do talk. Alot.
NO weight gain! In fact weight loss :/ (so con aswell)

Cons:
Brain is a bit more foggy. More so than before starting it.
Sometimes the excess energy caused by it keeps me up at night. My energy (when off ADHD meds) is "harder to control" so to speak as it's more unpredictable and in higher amounts it seems. A definite increase in hyperness as compared to prior to taking Lexapro. I have ADHD-C.

Eisi
04-01-13, 06:09 PM
Prozac or lexapro?

Most likely Lexapro. it`s the most selective of the SSRI. That means that it really effects (nearly) only the serotonine level.:)

Cetainly not Prozac, because alongside with Paxil it`s the SSRI that lowers stimulant`s effects the most. :)

Eisi
04-01-13, 06:26 PM
If you`re feeling tired all the time check out:

1. That stimulants have no impelling effect if dosed correctly. In fact they have the opposite effect. Overdosing stimulants doesn´t work against tiredness either. Maybe you can`t sleep, but you are tired anyway. It`s not a good feeling, because your inner restlessness increases while the tiredness remains.

You should check out:

1. If there is a sleeping disorder like DSPS, sleep apnea, narcolepsy and so on.

2. If you don`t have a classic depression, antidepressants off course won`t work. As along with ADHD in those cases the disorder often is connected with dissociation, what could cause depression-like syndroms wirthout being a classical depression.

The medication you should ckeck out anyway in or without combination with stimulants would be:

PROVIGIL. :)