View Full Version : Tried to stop my meds!

winnaz
04-17-12, 11:37 PM
Hey everyone :)

I was diagnosed with ADD about 18 months ago, after suffering from depression/anxiety for about 4 years on and off. (Im 23 now)

I was on effexor for about a year but decided to try and get off it, which ended up really bad and I was back to square one.
I then switched to Pristiq after that and my depressive moods had greatly decreased and my anxiety was more manageable.

I still found it hard to concentrate on anything meaningful (which it turns out fueled my anxiety and in turn depression), so I decided to visit my psychiatrist for a diagnosis on ADD.
My brother and father have both been diagnosed with mild ADD in the past, but seem to be able to deal with it far better than I have.

ANYWAY! My script for Dex had run out about a month ago and I thought to myself that I may not need it anymore, so without consulting my Psychiatrist, I had discontinued the dex AND the Pristiq within a couple of weeks of eachother. Everything went well for a couple of weeks, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks for no reason.

I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I may need this medication to stabilise my brain to function normally.
Does anyone else feel a stigma over having this condition?
It just seems hard to talk to anyone who doesn't suffer like I do..

Also, is there any kind of alternative treatment and/or coping methods that anyone here has found work very well? (I'm looking at you experienced ADDers ;).

Sorry about the ramble guys, it just feels good to get it off my chest every once in a while :)

Thanks

ps: I just went back on my meds this morning, already helps knowing that I'm back on the right track :)

escott
04-23-12, 10:34 PM
Effexor is one of the hardest drugs to come off of. Its similar to detoxing off an opiate. Dont just stop tapper down while consulting your dr.

sarahsweets
04-24-12, 05:10 AM
If the meds worked for you why did you stop? Was it due to side effects? Pristique is really hard to stop without a slow taper. I'm glad you're back on your meds. Dont feel bad, we all go through periods of wondering if we need meds at all then the train wreck begins.