View Full Version : Feeling like a dummy on Wellbutrin? Check

hollywood
04-18-12, 03:11 PM
There is no denying it anymore. The longer on it , the more it becomes obvious. This drug messes things up in the long run. I cannot really recall things whatsoever and it's messed up. Here is the proof. I'm sorry wellbutrin but you have got to get out of my wheelhouse.

In vivo activity of bupropion at the human dopamine transporter as measured by positron emission tomography.

Learned-Coughlin SM (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Learned-Coughlin%20SM%22%5BAuthor%5D), Bergström M (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Bergstr%C3%B6m%20M%22%5BAuthor%5D), Savitcheva I (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Savitcheva%20I%22%5BAuthor%5D), Ascher J (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Ascher%20J%22%5BAuthor%5D), Schmith VD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Schmith%20VD%22%5BAuthor%5D), Långstrom B (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22L%C3%A5ngstrom%20B%22%5BAuthor%5D).
Source

GlaxoSmithKline, Five Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Converging lines of evidence are consistent with an inhibitory effect of the antidepressant and smoking-cessation aid bupropion on dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake, but the in vivo effects of the drug at the human dopamine transporter (DAT) have not been studied to date. This study employed positron emission tomography (PET) to assess the extent and duration of DAT receptor occupancy by bupropion and its metabolites under conditions of steady-state oral dosing with bupropion sustained-release (SR) in healthy volunteers.
METHODS:

Six healthy male volunteers received bupropion SR 150 mg daily on days 1 through 3 and 150 mg every 12 hours on day 4 through the morning of day 11. PET investigations were performed between 1 and 7 days before initiation of bupropion SR dosing, as well as 3, 12, and 24 hours after the last dose of bupropion SR on day 11.
RESULTS:

Bupropion and its metabolites inhibited striatal uptake of the selective DAT-binding radioligand (11)C-betaCIT-FE in vivo. Three hours after the last dose of bupropion SR, average DAT occupancy by bupropion and its metabolites was 26%-a level that was maintained through the last PET assessment at 24 hours after dosing.
CONCLUSIONS:

Bupropion and its metabolites induced a low occupancy of the striatal DAT over 24 hours under conditions of steady-state oral dosing with therapeutic doses of bupropion SR. These data are consistent with the hypothesis that dopamine reuptake inhibition may be responsible in part for the therapeutic effects of the drug.

ginniebean
04-18-12, 04:39 PM
I went on wellbutrin and I had no thoughts in my head, I'd have one slow thought and then another. I couldn't handle the deafening silence, it just seemed so wrong.

Retromancer
04-18-12, 04:48 PM
If you are taking generic Wellbutrin remember that there is a sizable variance between manufacturers. Just had a the doctor write out a prescription explicitly requesting Watson -- 3 months worth. (Thank you Medicare Plan D!)

Using Wellbutin I notice that my once good spelling has taken a hit. However mercifully my snark remains untouched.

ginniebean
04-18-12, 04:58 PM
Well, don't get rid of your snark, how would we recognize you. :)

Abi
04-18-12, 07:05 PM
Wow six. Nice sample size.

This drug has been a lifesaver for me since Ritalin did not sit well with my GAD and bipolar; and amphetamine (Dex/Aderall) are not available in my part of earth.

hollywood
04-19-12, 03:41 PM
yeah it gets my spelling too. It's like I can't think of how to spell a word that I know how to spell. Its really odd. I've noticed it works in same manner when I'm thinking of adjectives , or thinking what I'm going to do or what I plan on searching. It's basically access to my working memory . It's blunted definitely . This seems to peak around 7 hours just as the study suggests. At night after 14 hours this subsides and my mind is clear. I'm not really sure what I want to do about it because it helps me stay stable being that I get just really distracted about tons of things. I think thats kind of anxiety on my part. Overall, I don't like this side effect, I didn't have this issue with celexa or prozac and I dont think I recall it happening with cymbalta. I'm debating which one of those three to try . I think celexa may have been the cleanest leading me in route of lexapro but I don't like feeling so flat on my feet either. I will need an antidepressant I think though. Hard to say. Sometimes after I have gotten off this stuff I feel like I was on it too long and feel okay. Not sure.

jivo86
04-24-12, 04:57 PM
I am now on Wellbutrin for six month now. And i recognize the dumb feeling on it. Like now i want to express how i feel on it, but i can't find the words ore something. I gonna quit this ****, my art-study is also suffering on it, i cannot go "deep" on this stuff.

hollywood
04-24-12, 05:16 PM
Yup I weaned off it . I am on 150 xl and feel like a human again . Should be able to quit after a week

ILoveChaos
04-24-12, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but what are you suggesting this study indicates?

hollywood
04-24-12, 08:05 PM
It blocks the dat transporter from re taking da . Blocks dopamine from increasing . So it basically makes ADHD worse . Not suggesting I didn't do the studies

Retromancer
04-24-12, 08:25 PM
A norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) is a drug that acts as a reuptake inhibitor (inhibitor) for the neurotransmitters (chemical nerve in the brain) norepinephrine and dopamine by blocking the action of the norepinephrine transporter (NET) and the dopamine transporter (DAT), respectively. This in turn leads to increased extracellular concentrations of both norepinephrine and dopamine and, therefore, an increase in adrenergic and dopaminergic neurotransmission.

Despite some short-term memory issues many ADDers find Wellbutrin/buproprion useful for their depression and ADD. For example me.

One caution: all generics are not alike. There are wide variances between manufacturers. I took a nosedive last year after switching from Watson manufactured buproprion to the generic that Costco stocks. I just filled a three month supply of Watson after telling the doctor to explicitly request that the prescription be filled with Watson only. (Thank you Medicare Plan D!)

It blocks the dat transporter from re taking da . Blocks dopamine from increasing . So it basically makes ADHD worse . Not suggesting I didn't do the studies

hollywood
04-25-12, 01:56 PM
Yup, I was right . Exactly dead on . Thanks for clarifying big dog, holmes. I like it. Anyways it's pretty clear in the studies that lower doses of buproprion didn't have that much of an effect regarding blocking DAT. Instead of pretend like the post doesnt add up , how about actually researching the journal and reading the content big dog. Yeah I log into pubmed ( student) what happened was that initially yes it will reuptake DA and slightly NE but over the long haul since wellbutrin has an extended half life they discovered that although it extends duration of effect at higher doses ( clearly studied at 300 and higher ) that DAT transmission was blocked , that means higher dosing of stimulants did absolutely nothing but increase SE's . Thanks holmes.

Retromancer
04-25-12, 05:24 PM
Holmes since you are the aspiring student you may wish to write clearer. (It's been twenty years since I have been in any sort of classroom. What's your excuse?)

Not every one takes stimulant medication with their Wellbutrin. Many of us for one reason or another are taking only Wellbutrin. It is much less hassle getting a prescription for it and for many that is all they can afford. (Not everyone is covered by their parents insurance.)

ILoveChaos
04-25-12, 05:42 PM
So I'm really confused. We're saying that Wellbutrin is bad because it inhibits dopamine reuptake? Isn't that a good thing since a lack of dopamine is thought to be involved in ADHD. If one causes increased dopamine in the synaptic cleft and the other is inhibiting re-uptake (Even though I thought amphetamines did this to a certain extent as well) wouldn't that be synergistic and helpful? Or is it that because you're inhibiting DAT, you aren't re-uptaking the dopamine and therefore aren't able to release as much from the cell into the synaptic cleft when you take the stimulant because your intracellular stores are depleted? I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand. Thanks!

jivo86
04-26-12, 07:57 PM
The thing whit Wellbutrin is it does make your head clear (what is a good thing), but there is also no intellectual and creative content anymore, and that sucks about it.

greenarrow
05-06-12, 12:35 PM
Unless you have a degree in chemistry, this stuff is not easy to understand. I think I got a D in chemistry in college, so have pity on me. As we all know, meds affect each person differently and this is just one study. Is it a question about which region of the brain is being affected? That being said, I recently reduced my dosage from 450mg to 300mg and do feel smarter in that I feel more "present" and my working memory seems to be functioning better, but I've been on this dose for several years. The problem is that most drug studies are short-term, less than a year.

crystal_queen
04-03-14, 03:08 PM
Wellbutrin is a partial-agonist at the Nicotinic Receptors responsible for "working memory"... basically it inhibits your ability to recall info you had previously learned, quickly and effectively.