View Full Version : If you take too much adderall... Advice to not get locked up

DjRyanZ7
11-07-04, 01:34 AM
You will feel like **** when you come down, its probly nothing i was tweaking yesterday. You cant OD on adderall. I talked to a guy who has been doing that stuff for years, so NEVER call the hospitol, you will get drug charges, lose your medication ect...

andocrates
11-07-04, 02:12 AM
You most certainly can OD on Adderall, it's an amphetamine and it can kill. For example, it can send your heart into arrhythmia, you could pass out and choke on your vomit. You could stop breathing. You better get wise to the game.

exeter
11-07-04, 02:20 AM
You can't OD on Adderall? Really?

OVERDOSAGE

Individual patient response to amphetamines varies widely. While toxic symptoms occasionally occur as an idiosyncrasy at doses as low as 2 mg, they are rare with doses of less than 15 mg; 30 mg can produce severe reactions, yet doses of 400 to 500 mg are not necessarily fatal.

In rats, the oral LD 50 of dextroamphetamine sulfate is 96.8 mg/kg.

Symptoms: Manifestations of acute overdosage with amphetamines include restlessness, tremor, hyperreflexia, rapid respiration, confusion, assaultiveness, hallucinations, panic states, hyperpyrexia and rhabdomyolysis.

Fatigue and depression usually follow the central stimulation.

Cardiovascular effects include arrhythmias, hypertension or hypotension and circulatory collapse.

Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. Fatal poisoning is usually preceded by convulsions and coma.
Taken from http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Adderall_Tablets.html

Edit: BTW: LD 50 means a dose that is lethal to 50% of lab animals (usually rats) it is administered to.

Ian
11-07-04, 02:20 AM
This is dangerous advise DjRyanZ7.

There are worse things than seeking help when I might be taking enough pharmaceuticals that "overdose" becomes part of the conversation regardless of whether it's going to kill me or not.

If my goal is to maintain a steady, uninterrupted supply of dope at all costs maybe this would be a wise strategy but for anyone interested in their health and well being I think not.

If somehow I might be mistaken for someone that requires being charged for the way I unlawfully handle my medication, it might also be time for me to consider there being a thread of truth that needs attending to there.

If I have questions about how to withdraw from meds or think I have abusive or addictive troubles there are many here whom have experience in those matters. My doctor should be my first port of call in all questions regarding the use and abuse of the prescribed and non prescribed dope I might be taking.
This ain't a dress rehearsal... and word has it there may only be one show.
ian

Tara
11-07-04, 01:04 PM
DJ,

People can and do die from ODing on Adderall. There have been several reports in the last year of teens and College students who died from taking too much Adderall.

Draga
11-07-04, 01:25 PM
Dj, Sweetie...I am speaking from experience here! You take too much of stimulants it will catch up with you in the long run.....U are doing more damage to yourself than you realize.

For one...Too Much adderall(or any stimulant) is a waste.....U are just giving yourself an extra OM-PH but not really solving ADD problems.

#2) I took too much stimulants when I was young too...I know it is hard to resit temptation...self esteem issues making me believe I can not be great unless I had the pills and more of it....It is mentally addictive....

I been there when You have taken way too much and you heart is going to beating so fast and head is going to be tingling.These are two warning signs that you have to slow down cause U are going to get sick....or even worse die. I'd Hate to see ya get to this point if you are not there already!

Please be careful, Babay, and Use this medicine wisely to help yourself with ADD and not to become the energizer bunny on speed!

DjRyanZ7
11-08-04, 03:35 PM
Most Fatal ODs are from rittlin, i know a kid who takes 30 adderall 20mg at a time

Draga
11-08-04, 03:42 PM
Ritalin and Adderall are cousins, Dawlin. Stimulant is A Stimulant and too much can effect the same way. Same as any other stimulant like dexadrine. Again speaking from experience.

andocrates
11-08-04, 08:43 PM
I disagree, there is no case of anyone dying from Ritalin, there is a lot of antidotal evidence from the anti-med squad. Any maybe that one small boy who ate his whole bottle of meds, but that's a more normal toxicology thing.

Your brain can only use so much Ritalin (since it is basically a dopamine uptake inhibitor) it doesn't send your brain into overdrive.

Draga
11-09-04, 01:26 AM
Ok, I found something today..should be particular interest....http://www.mnpoison.org/mnpoison/pdfs/DOA.pdf

BTW......It most certainly does send brain and heartrate into maximum overdrive if taken too much at one time. Ando....may I ask have u ever experienced the effects of over medicating yourself?

andocrates
11-09-04, 02:42 AM
I don't get why you posted that web-page, Ritalin wasn't mentioned. As for abuse, yea I have abused the hell out of it. (in the past) I've researched it extensively but I'm not interested in digging up all the links. If you avoid all the scare tactics and hidden motives and stick to medical studies you get a much clearer picture.

Adderall is amphetamine, Ritalin is not - huge difference.

Draga
11-09-04, 03:28 AM
Np.....I was reading that website and I happened to see ridalin mentioned in the same sentence as all other stimulants....but If You want more elaboration...lucky for me I have time on my hands.....

http://www.acnp.org/G4/GN401000166/CH162.htm <~~~~~~States...(Direct quote so ya know where to look)

Neurotoxic Effects of Stimulant Drugs

Sustained high-dose administration of amphetamines (especially methamphetamine) to experimental animals produces a persistent depletion of DA which is associated with terminal degeneration (62, 182, 195), as well as neuronal chromatolysis in the brain stem, cortex and striatum (42, 182). In contrast, continuous dosing with extremely high doses of cocaine (100–250 mg/kg/day i.v.) did not induce terminal degeneration in frontal cortex and striatum (62, 183). Recently, Cubellis et al. (36) presented evidence that amphetamine, in contrast to cocaine, induces redistribution of DA from the vesicles into the cytosol; thus, the loss of the protection of the vesicles' relatively reducing environment results in cytosolic oxidative stress that may initiate amphetamine neurotoxicity. The DA depletion is reported to be permanent in the caudate of monkeys (196). The main hypotheses for underlying mechanisms have included 1) the conversion of DA into a hydroxy oxidative metabolite (195, 196); and 2) glutaminergic stimulation of toxicity, which can be inhibited by N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist MK-801 (200).

Methamphetamine toxicity is inhibited by a variety of drug treatments, including: 1) DA synthesis inhibitor alpha-methyl-para-tyrosine; 2) DA receptor antagonists; 3) NMDA receptor antagonists, e.g., MK-801; 4) DA and serotonergic reuptake inhibitors protecting against DA and serotonin toxicity respectively (195). Even though most studies have found that serotonergic and DA reuptake inhibitors specifically protect these two sites, certain reuptake blockers (such as benztropine) do not (195). On the other hand, mazindol, a non-specific blocker, protects against both DA and serotonergic neurotoxicity. Ali et al. (1994) have further demonstrated in mice that a major factor for neurotoxicity is hyperthermia which is highly correlated with the degree of long-term DA depletion (21). Furthermore, haloperidol, diazepam and MK-801, all of which can reduce methamphetamine-induced hyperthermia, protect rats against DA depletion (4). They also demonstrated that reducing the ambient temperature (4°C) reduced neurotoxicity to the same levels found when phenobarbital, diazepam and MK-801 were present to protect the cell. Tolerance to methamphetamine induced by increasing doses also reduces the hyperthermic response and as well protects against neurotoxicity (89, 188).

An important caveat is that not all protective mechanisms act by preventing the hyperthermic effect; the monoamine uptake blockers inhibit neurotoxicity in the absence of inhibition of hyperthermia, e.g., fluoxetine blocks methamphetamine serotonin toxicity without reducing temperature (140). The monoamine protection from neurotoxicity by reuptake inhibition is emphasized by the unexpected discovery that even massive and 24-hour continuous dosing of cocaine, e.g., 100 mg/kg/day, does not result in DA system neurotoxicity (119, 182, 183). Hyperthermia has been well documented to increase amphetamine stereotypy (93, 220). Hyperthermia alone is well known to result in neuronal chromatolysis and has been previously proposed as a significant contributor to amphetamine-induced DA depletion and neuronal damage in clinical as well as experimental animal histopathology (52). Hyperthermia may have been one of the factors resulting in deaths among athletes taking moderate doses of amphetamine in the 1960s and 70s (145). Even in mild hyperthermia, increased body temperature induces a linear decrease in the inhibitory feedback of stimulants on somatodendritic autoreceptors (130). Thus, body temperature changes induced by amphetamine should be considered as one of the contributors to toxicity.

One of the hallmarks of amphetamine-induced neurotoxicity is the loss of DA uptake sites in the striatum and accumbens. These studies of transporters after chronic amphetamine have reported decreases in the range of 30–40% (158). Recently, Silvia et al. (198) addressed the functional significance of changes in transporters on amphetamine's behavioral effects. After seven days of infusion of transporter RNA antisense ODN into the SN/VTA nuclei, mazindol binding was reduced 32% in the caudate. Administration of 2 mg/kg of amphetamine at this time resulted in robust contralateral turning (an increase of 400%); in contrast, 10 mg/kg of cocaine induced no changes in the turning response. The lack of turning response to cocaine after transporter reduction contrasts with the substantial cocaine-induced contralateral turning after unilateral SN/VTA D2 ODN to reduce D2 autoreceptors in the striatum (199). Thus, the amphetamine-induced loss of DA uptake sites could have two consequences: 1) a protective mechanism reducing further neurotoxicity, and 2) reverse tolerance to subsequent amphetamine administration, perhaps resulting in adverse symptoms such as paranoid psychosis (see also the discussion on neurotoxicity in the habenular interpeduncular track and its possible relationship to augmentation amphetamine-induced adverse effects).

Recently, Fleckenstein et al. (68) reported that methamphetamine induced a dose-response sensitive reduction in [3H] DA uptake in washed striated synaptosomes which lasted for at least three hours; at 24 hrs the response had returned to normal. Since the decrease in intake was at maximum as early as 30 minutes after methamphetamine, this decrease in DA uptake is probably augmenting the amphetamine behavioral response and certainly not inducing tolerance. The decrease in DA uptake at doses up to 15 mg/kg could also provide some protection from neurotoxicity due to oxidative species.

These marked neurotoxic effects on the DA systems may underlie the mild Parkinson-like symptoms or "burned out" clinical picture in chronic, high-dose amphetamine abusers. These same individuals have a readily activated stimulant psychosis response. Similar re-activation of psychosis by L-dopa and direct agonists in Parkinson patients raises the question of whether the more severe psychosis resulting from amphetamine vs. cocaine abuse may have a partial basis in the greater toxicity induced by amphetamine.

Fatal Toxicity

Deaths directly attributable to the pharmacological response to amphetamines relate to several phenomena, including: 1) hypertensive cerebrovascular hemorrhage (confirmed pathologically); 2) cardiovascular collapse secondary to ventricular fibrillation (46, 154), with the majority of these cases in individuals less than 30 years of age with no evidence of pre-existing heart disease; 3) hyperpyrexia in the range of 40°C and 4) miscellaneous causes, such as septicemia with bacterial endocarditis or necrotizing angiitis (154). In general, acute fatal drug reactions to amphetamine are more common in the occasional user than in the tolerant, chronic, high-dose abuser. This is particularly true of the hyperthermic and convulsive cascade that precedes many fatalities. This may be related to the observation that experimental animals rapidly develop tolerance to the hyperthermic effects of amphetamine. Although hyperthermic conditions associated with convulsions are seen more frequently with amphetamine, convulsions are more frequent antecedents in acute toxicity from cocaine (76). In contrast to amphetamine, cocaine has the capacity to induce potentially toxic reactions in those tolerant to its use (76). These differences may be related to the differential local anesthetic potency, resulting in arrhythmias, convulsions, and depression of the medullary respiratory center. Although the exact interrelationship of hyperthermia, hypertensive crisis and convulsions, and the sequence of these events in the toxic cascade, is still unknown, both types of stimulants induce a similar fatality (154).

The multifactorial nature of stimulant toxicity requires careful control of experimental conditions in order to study the effects of these agents in the intact animal. When lethality is used as the dependent variable, this endpoint may result from different contributing factors based on the experimental design. For example, aggregation of rodents dramatically increases the toxic and lethal effects, based either on an increase in locomotor activity or hyperthermia (154). Although hyperpyrexia is often fatal to rodents treated with any pharmacological agent, temperature elevation observed in cocaine-treated animals (in contrast to amphetamine-treated ones) is usually not sufficiently high to completely explained the observed mortality. Thus, in experimental studies of toxicity, even in the absence of lethality, control over the acute convulsive as well as the hyperthermic effects of stimulants is a necessary prerequisite. Clearly, catecholamine release and activation of receptors are important in acute toxicity. This statement is supported by the observation that the mortality of amphetamine may be reduced by depletion of catecholamines or by receptor blockade.

CLINICAL USES OF STIMULANTS

Perspectives on Clinical Indications

Since amphetamine-like stimulants have high abuse potential and other adverse toxic consequences, why do we continue to use them? In the US, there are only two Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved indications for dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate: 1) narcolepsy and 2) attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In Europe, some countries have prohibited any use of stimulants. However, most experts agree that in ADHD and narcolepsy, stimulants have an definitive and uncontroversial therapeutic role when used judiciously. Because of this agreement on specific therapeutic applications for these drugs, their use will not be reviewed here. Rather, we will discuss the use of stimulants for other problems, those for which stimulant administration may be somewhat more controversial.

If you are just taking these medications for a high and to not to help your ADD ....U are just making it worse on you.....YOU ARE NO LONGER IN CONTROL.....THE DRUG CONTROLS YOU! Think about that!

andocrates
11-09-04, 10:23 AM
Sorry Dragon Lady I'm still not getting it. That quote is about meth right? (Methamphetamine) But were talking about Ritalin (Methylphenidate)

Gregster
11-09-04, 03:46 PM
Ritalin is similar in a lot of ways to amphetamine - which the previous posts refer to. All of the amphetamines get lumped together because I gather they pretty much all work in the same way - the slight differences in the shape of the molecule and the way it's metabolized accounting for the slight differences in relative strength and half-life, etc. Methylphenidate is similarly shaped to amphetamines but the differences mean that it works in a slightly different way - in a very similar way to cocaine, actually. Ritalin overdose can certainly kill you, just like amphetamine overdose can. Commonly it will induce a heart attack or a fatal arrythmia in those who are susceptable - just like people drop dead from the recreational use of cocaine. Ritalin is safer in that it's LD50 is higher, compared to it's theraputic dosage range, than amphetamine (in other words, if you took say, 20 days worth of pills all at once, you'd be in more danger from Adderall than Ritalin - so the risk of accidental OD is less with ritalin).

Draga
11-09-04, 04:16 PM
My Point???? Ok no med jargon crapolla....I know that taking too much stimulant increases heart rate and it could have killed me if I didn't stop myself before too late...We talking 60 pills in a week and I am telling myself I am not going to take anymore but a few minutes later I am talking another one after another...I could literally see My heart Pumping THROUGH my chest :eek: and it felt like my brain and forhead turned numb....Can You say Wake up call????????

My family has history of heart problems....Maybe that could have played a part in that...I wonder what was the family history of those who have died from REPORTED & RECORDED O.D. on stimulants.

I'm Sowwy, but the high generated from Stimulants is just not worth what my body was going through and maybe some have not experienced the same but body chem is different....and I did not even realize or that would have such an effect on me...So, think about it....does that 2 or 3 hours of omph that ya get really worth the possible long term Damage?

I need my meds to help me cope with ADD, not to get that high that turns me into Speedy Gonzales Meets the Road Runner....I'm taking dexadrine now...and I admit it is Hard, sometimes, to not want to take just one more...and fight it as hard as I can..

Can You stop yourself if you really wanted to..if not...U aint in control anymore..and U need help. END UV STORY!

andocrates
11-09-04, 10:00 PM
When I have more time I'll explain my position.

Draga
11-09-04, 11:28 PM
Lookin forward to it....I think I stated my position clear enough...if something I am missing.....I'm all ears ;)

Mary
11-10-04, 03:06 AM
Ok... I've been doing some research. Here are some facts for all of you!

__________________________________________________ _______________

(2) WARNING: Ritalin overdose causes over stimulation of the central nervous system and can lead to death. Signs and symptoms of overdose include the following: Vomiting, agitation, tremors, exaggeration of reflexes, muscle twitching, euphoria, confusion, hallucinations, delirium, sweating, flushing, headache, abnormally rapid and/or irregular heart beat, pounding heart, high arterial blood pressure, pupil dilation, dryness of mucous membranes, high fever and convulsions which may be followed by coma and death.

If Ritalin overdosage occurs, intensive and immediate medical care must be provided to maintain adequate blood circulation and breathing. External cooling may be required to prevent brain damage due to extremely high body temperature which may lead to convulsions, coma and death. Therefore, if Ritalin overdosage is suspected, one should seek immediate emergency medial treatment.

3) WARNING: Ritalin should not be mixed with so-called anti-depressant drugs. These can cause a dangerous drug interaction and reactions may include hypertension, seizures, and hypothermia. If these occur, immediate emergency medical attention should be sought and secured. : 39

If that isn't enough I can find more information. You want plain English. RITALIN CAN KILL YOU!

Mary
11-10-04, 03:30 AM
A Centre County child who collapsed during a Boy Scout outing in Indiana County in July apparently died from a buildup of a drug he was taking for a medical condition.

Andrew Michael Hecker, 11, of Port Matilda, died from elevated levels of the prescription drug Adderall, Indiana County Coroner Thomas Streams said Friday.

Toxicology findings indicate the drug buildup caused the boy to go into cardiac arrest and later die, Streams said.

Hecker collapsed and died the afternoon of July 3 while on a Boy Scout trip to Yellow Creek State Park, located about 10 miles east of Indiana.

The boy, who belonged to a troop based in Tyrone, Blair County, just had finished cleaning pontoon boats on the lake and was stepping ashore when he fell to the ground unconscious, according to witnesses.

Attempts by camp staff to revive the youth were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead a short time later at Indiana Regional Medical Center.

The drug can cause the heart and pulse to race and is not recommended for those with heart conditions or high blood pressure.

Hecker had 210 nanograms of the drug in his blood at the time of his death, according to Streams, who said toxic levels are reached at 150 nanograms.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

Need any more information? I can keep going!

andocrates
11-10-04, 12:14 PM
I looked up that first reference and found it on REMOVED BY MODERATOR

this is an anti-med site and the authors stated purpose is"
"My purpose is to save this country for my children."

Everything on that site is negative, overlooking the help Ritalin provides. It's medicine, medicine has side-effects.

90% of all information on the internet is unreliable and often downright wrong. Let's take newspaper reporters. That is, by and large, a very low paying, low qualifications job. Those reporters just hit the internet repeat misleading information and perpetuate the cycle.

f_wcomboadhd
11-10-04, 01:58 PM
i just hope you guys know that this djryan isn't to be taken seriously..i tried to talk to him in our livechat and he doesn't really care for any advice he just wants to play.

Gregster
11-10-04, 02:13 PM
I have politely asked "DJ" to cease with the drug abuse stories, in keeping with the nature of this forum. So far he seems to be abiding by my request.

andocrates
11-10-04, 02:18 PM
Yea, he's been bugging me on MSN. Every time he pops a pill (all sorts of things like opiates) he feels the need to tell me.

Mary
11-10-04, 02:21 PM
Thanks Greg,

Hopefully he'll heed your advice.

Mary
11-10-04, 02:29 PM
I looked up that first reference and found it on

this is an anti-med site and the authors stated purpose is"
"My purpose is to save this country for my children."

Everything on that site is negative, overlooking the help Ritalin provides. It's medicine, medicine has side-effects.

90% of all information on the internet is unreliable and often downright wrong. Let's take newspaper reporters. That is, by and large, a very low paying, low qualifications job. Those reporters just hit the internet repeat misleading information and perpetuate the cycle.

Regardless of this site being wrong. There have been known cases of death due to Ritalin abuse along with other meds for ADHD. Not all the sites can be wrong. Abuse of prescription drugs of any kind is ILLEGAL!

Nucking_Futs
11-10-04, 04:35 PM
I'm very disappointed by the complete and utter stupidety of this thread. You can and eventually will die from over abusing meds (any med). It slowly builds up in your kidney's, liver and heart while you may not die today, you will most certainly die. I don't know about your doctor but my son's doctor checks his blood levels every third month before writing another prescription we were informed that if his levels are ever off he will never write him another prescription...there's a reason for that.

As a mother of a young and impressionable member of these forums I'm asking/begging/pleading with you to stop spreading your un-educated information here in the forums.

To all the others who took time out of their day to educate with real facts I want to thank you for your time and efforts.

Cherity

andocrates
11-10-04, 05:48 PM
Hey Nucking Futs, no one is saying abusing drugs is a good thing. But lies are lies, the reason are kids have so many drug problems today is we made drugs cool by making them the forbidden fruit.

As far as building up in the kidneys liver and heart, do you have a source for that? You might think all the hysteria scares kids but it doesn't, just the opposite happens. There's a kinda' macho, bad-boy image with doing drugs, it isn't even about getting high and never really was.

Give kids the proper information and they will make the right choice. How many years did people spend trying to find something bad about pot? And all they have is some minor issues that are less damaging them smoking.

If I was in charge of the drug war I would say "Don't do pot cause it makes you stupid."

Draga
11-10-04, 10:28 PM
Ando, personal experience is the best source and I already shared mine..I'm not making it up....but yes, there are positive sides to Ritalin....IF it's the right med for the individual..one man's pleasure is another man's pain. But no one really knows how their body is going to react unless tried on their own.

It's good to hear the positive sides of meds...but MORE important to hear the Bad sides such as health issues....because it can give ideas on the warning signs & what to look for.

And Kidney damage caused by too much stimulants.....Thanks, Futs, I almost forgot about how my kidneys always hurt towards the time I took myself off of Ritalin...and even on Dexadrine..I still monitor blood pressure, heart beat and pay attention to pains.
Dexadrine works wonderful for me and I am lucky I have not experienced the same health issues with dexadrine as I had with Ritalin...my body chemistry can handle it...FINALLY finding de right meds is a big relief...but in mean time...Ya gotta take care of yourself so u can LIVE to find the right med:p

Nucking_Futs
11-11-04, 02:46 PM
I have written some of your posts to share with our family doctor, pharmacist and therapist's I'm praying one of them holds the key that will save your life. I OD'd on Anti-Depressants while it's almost impossible to kill yourself with such meds I will forever suffer from the damage that one night caused my kidneys and heart. It's not a road you want to take and it's not something you want to live the rest of your life with knowing YOU did this to yourself. I cannot stress enough how a few minutes of clarity are just not worth it!!! Be kind to yourself, respect your temple please I am begging you.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from one of my emails with the answer's you seek about how OD'ing affects kidneys, heart or liver and when I do I will get that information to you as fast as I can.

Coral Rhedd
11-11-04, 03:27 PM
I've found this thread fascinating because I know little more than when I started reading it. Usually, I learn something.

It seems to me that people were discussing different things and were at cross purposes because:

1. Anecdotal stories on Ritalin were offered as evidence that Ritalin is dangerous.

2. Anecdotal stories (and personal stories) are indicative of the experience of that particular person. They are not medical evidence.

3. Prescription drug warnings are quite useful and allow us to be properly cautious, but they are written at least partly for the purpose of avoiding lawsuits and thus could almost fall into the category of cautionary tales. For example, I wish I had 100 bucks for everything time doctors have prescribed a mix of meds for me that is contrary to prescription drug warnings. Still alive here!

4. No one provided a documented study on deaths from Ritilin.

As someone who is currently as pure as the driven snow -- drug-wise -- I would like clearer information on the risks of Ritilin vs. Adderall.

Now that we have determined that the OP is perhaps doing a little attention-seeking, perhaps we could explore the true dangers, or not, of these two drugs.

Nucking_Futs
11-11-04, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me...our pharmacist is pretty good about going over these things with us...I'll talk to him tommorrow if he isn't busy anyone else want to speak with a medical professional so that we have an even balance?

pjvex
11-23-04, 10:03 PM
I take 30mg Adderall XR daily and I too have been tempted to take more (and have given in--though sometimes on days when I am putting in 12 hours or more at work).

I think the amphetamine class of drugs in relatively safe. Yes, depending on one's personal health (arrythmia, or HBP, or some other heart condition), they can be dangerous, but just as someone who might have a chronic ulcer conditions should avoid aspirin, those with hypertension or arrythmia, they should avoid amphetamines/methylphenidate, and probably caffeine as well. For those of you who take adderall, you know how it can be enticing to take an extra one before you hit the town on Friday night, so you need some self-discipline in order to use the drug. At the same time, the media has turned Methamphetamine (a drug which is basically Adderall's bigger brother) into a substance forged in the depths of hell my Lucifer himself!! This is bull****. Methampehtamine true, has a little more stimulant effect than D-amphetamine, and a little more sense of well-being gained than just D-Amphetamine), but that's it!! However, what has happened, due to the war on drugs, is that methampehtamine now, in order for it to be more manageable to drug dealers and users, it has been made smaller and more potennt!! now it is in pure ICE FORM!! If it weren't for the laws against methamphetamine, most people would just be addicted to Desoxyn or something like that--far less detrimental (not insufflated, inhaled, and Desoxyn is pharmaceutical clean!). Now unfortunately, the delivery of the methampheamine on the streets is what turns it into a more habit forming substance! Straight Meth, straight to the brain....that is the problem, and it is not the fault of the drug!!!

We need to be given the real truth on all drugs before coming to conclusions about them. Most of what we hear from sources of information sanctioned by the US government is filled with half-truths. Look to periodicals like Scientific American or other medical journals, NOT http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/ for accurate information.

Look at it this way....amephetamines can be habit forming, to anyone anyone probably, but so is chocolate. Is it "addictive"?...in the strictest sense, no amphetamines are NOT addictive. They are not physically addictive anyway. Psychologcally-addictive (i.e. habit forming), yes they can be. Stillll..

that really should NOT be a side effect of the DRUG, but a side effect of the PERSON. [As stated earlier, it is probably easier to slip into 3x daily detrimental use when you are smoking the pure crystal of methamphetamine (i.e. not Meth HCL, but pure methamphetamine], but we as a society have to realize that there are people who should not allow themselves to take these drugs if they know they are prone to abusing them and putting their lives in danger (whether by a prescription or street drugs). Do we blame big macs for the obesity they can cause in people? No! It is the people who need help, not the inanimate objects like big macs or methamphetamine.

We as a society need to understand that to create the least amount of harm, we need to stop being parental. I certainly do not believe in a government who should make determinations on which drugs are "too risky" and which ones are not, or I might at this moment, be able to reap benefits from my adderall....

People will always do what they want to do---supply and demand...if the object of their emand is illegal (or in Schedule II), then all that demand does is creates a higher black market, more violence, more adulterants in whatever is taken, etc. Harm is not reduced, only increased when following this method of control/education.

Be careful and be mature. Sorry, if this looks like it wasn't really proof-read....I just some of the comments, and wanted to throw a few cents in...my apologize to those who disagree..

P

paulbf
11-23-04, 10:27 PM
I'm generally of the opinion that stimulants in prescribed doses are very low risk but was suprised to see the following post recently which is a perfect example of someone going way overboard with adderall to the point of being a genuine speed freak addict on prescribed doses:

Re: addiction, serious problem? ADHD
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12366

It's probably not easy to kill yourself on an overdose but who would want to be such an addict with paranoia & depression, etc. BTW I abuse alcohol, pot & stimulants somewhat though they are not that appealing to me for recreational purposes so it's not like I'm some straight laced prude lecturing. There certainly is a risk of problems. Being reasonable will avoid those problems and overall I tend to agree with andocrates about legalization & such but anyways these forums are not supposed to get into big flame wars & the original poster was obviously looking for trouble so I'm just adding my two cents against that flame incitement.

andocrates
11-24-04, 02:28 AM
Actually, I don't believe in legalization and never have. The problem is on this board is any sort of thinking that doesn't run straight down mainstream America's is censored, so everything I tried to say got skewed.

All I said was people have demonized the ADD medications, if this is an ADD resource where is the dialogue, maybe things aren't as bad as the media makes them out to be. Until we can debate the issues we will not make a difference.

Half the time people are not even close to being addicted - they just think they are. But instead of someone saying, "Look you take those drugs because you're ADD and they help you, you haven't done anything wrong." But instead we make them feel like sh*t because everyone comes down so hard on them and acts like they're heroin addicts. I just think it's laughable when someone says "Ritalin Addict."

I was on a drug abuse board once, these people really had problems, and someone said his friend was "Addicted to Ritalin." You should have seen the scorn that real addicts heaped on that person. Addiction is no joke, but Ritalin addiction is.

paulbf
11-24-04, 11:56 AM
I generally agree with you but did you read that thread? Maybe unusual but that poor girl sounds like a serious addict to me, with prescribed doses of adderall (she used them up early then crashed at the end of the month).

Coral Rhedd
11-24-04, 07:00 PM
I do believe in the decriminalization of many drugs that are now illegal. This is partly because criminalizing drugs leads to two things:

1. A black market where other adjunctive types of criminal behavior can flourish, including bribery.

2. People with serious problems are locked up when they need treatment intervention instead.

There is also an ecomonic impact to the drug war. The money thrown at law enforcement could be better spent.

Too bad this forum is mainstream. I am not.

I really appreciate the information that Ritalin is not physically addictive because I need to make some medication decisions soon and want to gather as much information as possible prior to this.

Futhermore, recent information about SSRIs and suicidal ideation in young people indicates to me that the FDA -- the gatekeeper -- doesn't always do such a good job. It is empowering for consumers of medications to share information and not always be dependant on doctors -- who are dependant on pharmaceutical companies for information.

andocrates
11-24-04, 08:32 PM
OK not sure what you are saying here but if something (anything) is physically addictive or not doesn't diminish the possibilities or downsides of addiction. Ritalin can help you become a total speedfreak and screw up your life as much as adderall, you just won't get sick if you run out.

Coral Rhedd
11-25-04, 12:59 AM
I am saying that if it is not physically addictive it would be more likely to be something I could control. I am not an addictive type.

Feel free to contradict me however. The only mood altering drugs besides antidepressants I have experience with are chocolate and coffee. I guess you could say I am addicted to chocolate. I could ditch the coffee.

andocrates
11-25-04, 01:47 AM
Yes, I see, IMO that is correct. Adderall can be a real-task master, (although I have never had any problems) Ritalin, used as directed, simply doesn't present any problems if you just stop.

blueyemass1979
11-25-04, 01:37 PM
What does it feel like for you guys to take higher-than-prescribed doses of Adderall?

My doctor moved me to Adderall XL (XR?) 20 mg and the first time I took it...I just felt like...jeezus...a caged animal or something, tense, high-strung, unable to do anything productive, not "high" at all. 10 mg had made me calm and focused. And yet I hear that people are actually tempted to take more of the stuff than that? What do higher doses make you guys feel like? What is it like to be "high" on it? I've only ever gotten high off of prescribed medications like painkillers (taken legitimately) or drinking--is it like that, that feeling of elation?

andocrates
11-25-04, 04:42 PM
I have always said you can't get high on Adderall but no one believes me. :-[ You can speed your brains off on Dexidrene but Adderall was designed to avoid abuse and the l-amphetamin just makes you makes you sick and edgy. Pretty much as you said.

Draga
12-01-04, 06:38 PM
http://ritalindeath.com/drugchildrentodeath.htm

blueyemass1979
12-01-04, 06:41 PM
http://ritalindeath.com/drugchildrentodeath.htm
Did you post that for (black humor) comic relief?

Coral Rhedd
12-01-04, 07:04 PM
That is an interesting link Draga, but I cannot see it's connection to the subject so far discussed in this thread. It is hyperbolic and offers not statistics in particular on ADD drugs. Of course, children in the child welfare system who are under the "protection" of child protective services are prescribed medication without their parents' persmission for the simple reason that their parents -- most often for very good reasons -- no longer possess guardianship over them.

Are these drugs often overprescribed for the convenience of group homes and foster parents? Undoubtedly. However, since so many youngsters are unable to self-report, doctors depend upon the viewpoints of caretakers concerning the children's behavior.

There are no open records regarding individual cases because the law sees this as a violation of the children's confidentiality.

What does this have to do with ritalin overdose statistics?

Draga
12-01-04, 07:46 PM
I figured it...It was one of those Propaganda links.....sorry....OOOPS

Andrew
12-01-04, 08:14 PM
It's an easy mistake to have been made.

Draga
12-01-04, 08:34 PM
Thanks Big.....Those Webpages are confusing to me sometimes...Joy of Poor reading Comprehension :rolleyes:

Coral Rhedd
12-01-04, 08:40 PM
No problem Draga. I was just a little baffled for a moment.

It was sort of interesting in its way.

Draga
12-01-04, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Coral :) I just have to say this:

I just dont understand how people think that taking too much stimulants of any kind is safe.....we can post webpages up the wazzo but it's still not enough....What will it take? Someone to take too many pills and find themselves in the hospital dying from a heartattack or kidney disease?

And NO I did not post that link as a "dark" humor and I resent the implication! Truth hurts, does it? Truth that O.D. can kill and you just may have to learn self control! Come on people...We are ADHD but we do not lack common sence!

blueyemass1979
12-01-04, 09:57 PM
I didn't mean to imply anything! I sincerely didn't know how to interpret your link to that page and I'm sorry if I was a little snide in guessing at your purpose. Of course, that page is proof that the drugs are not candy (though neither is Viagra, but no one's calling drug pusher on that one), so in that sense it was appropriate.

It's just that that page is so overwrought and filled with innuendos of innuendos that it is so sad it's (almost) humorous, and the child's picture on the left corner (presumably of the founder's son) is just the finishing touch that makes you feel bad for this person at the same time you're angry at her and just disgusted with the whole exploitative mess.

Draga
12-01-04, 10:14 PM
I didn't mean to imply anything! I sincerely didn't know how to interpret your link to that page and I'm sorry if I was a little snide in guessing at your purpose. Of course, that page is proof that the drugs are not candy (though neither is Viagra, but no one's calling drug pusher on that one), so in that sense it was appropriate.

It's just that that page is so overwrought and filled with innuendos of innuendos that it is so sad it's (almost) humorous, and the child's picture on the left corner (presumably of the founder's son) is just the finishing touch that makes you feel bad for this person at the same time you're angry at her and just disgusted with the whole exploitative mess.

I appologize for being short tempered.....Hmm Goes back to my sensivity thread...When I am passionate about something...I kinda hard to hold back....and my experiences and information i have sent to this thread is not getting through....so I acted out of frustration and triggers(good ole ptsd:rolleyes: ). It was wrong....again....I am sorry.

Coral Rhedd
12-02-04, 02:00 AM
Thanks, Coral :) I just have to say this:

I just dont understand how people think that taking too much stimulants of any kind is safe.....we can post webpages up the wazzo but it's still not enough....What will it take? Someone to take too many pills and find themselves in the hospital dying from a heartattack or kidney disease?

And NO I did not post that link as a "dark" humor and I resent the implication! Truth hurts, does it? Truth that O.D. can kill and you just may have to learn self control! Come on people...We are ADHD but we do not lack common sence!
Hi Draga.

I have never had a drug or alcohol problem myself but I have known several people who have and I have noticed a pattern. To really really distance themselves from the addiction, it seems to me that folks who struggle with this have to get very very emphatic about drug use. I remember when I worked a crisis line that several people called in who had been injured or ill and were very upset when they couldn't seem to get their physicians to understand that they need non-narcotic pain relievers.

I also remember once I had a friend to dinner who I did not realize was a recovering alcoholic. I had prepared chicken in a sherry sauce for dinner and she would not eat a bite. She explained to me that she was an alcoholic and I -- thinking she was a little ignorant about cooking -- explained that the alcohol would cook right off. "No," she told me, "I cannot eat that because the flavor might trigger an episode." I have now learned to appreciate her point of view.

Reading back over this thread, I don't see anyone recommending that people take "too much" of anything but merely discussing what constitutes an addiction and what amount might be "too much." True, the intial post was disturbing, but it seems to me that people were only searching for some truth here. We don't all hold the same truth.

Even if there were a case where someone died of a Ritalin overdose, that one case would not constitute a statistical trend. Of course people should only medicate responsibly. But to me, in the context of a forum, freedom of speech is to be valued. So if people disagree and they do it in a reasonably polite way can we not simply say, "Okay. I don't see it your way, but you still have a right to your opinion."

Draga
12-02-04, 04:24 AM
Err I dont exactly me saying anyone was recommending that....Cause I am not accusing anyone of anything.

People act on their own accord I was referring to the free willed ones who take more than the recommended dose....."I just dont understand how people think that taking too much stimulants of any kind is safe Their are those who take too much and do realize how serious it is..But as you said I respect your's and everyones elses opinion and I hope and would expect the same in return.

And Just 4 the heck of it.....I'm still continuing research on ritalin and Overdose....and have asked organizations questions and :rolleyes: waiting for responce. Not 2 prove who is right or wrong but if there is info that can prove me wrong I wanna know cause I do not need to add to the endless B.S. of falsity of ADHD & Medications.

Draga
12-02-04, 07:47 PM
Ok....I dont have the best reading comprehension, so I'll get to the point..Since everyone else seems to understand this better than me:rolleyes: ...here Prove me wrong!

For drug information there is no better place to look than the F.D.A. ....They keep records of all meds and interaction and yes even death.

www.fda.gov

or try
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/default.htm
Everything covered on this page:

New Prescription Drug Approvals
Prescription Drug Information
Drug Information Pathfinder
Major Drug Information Pages
Consumer Drug Information
Over-the-Counter Drug Information
Drug Safety & Side Effects
Drug Preparedness and Bioterrorism Response
Clinical Trials Information
Public Health Alerts & Warning Letters
Reports and Publications
Special Projects & Programs

BenFoldsNerd
12-06-04, 01:54 PM
I preface this by saying that I'm not an expert by any means, but rather, a somewhat sheltered, naïve child of 22.

Of course everyone's metabolism and physiology varies, but I believe the danger of stimulant drugs lies not as much in their chemical makeup as in the patient's regard for the drug. There will always be flukes and exceptions, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a large majority of severe complications were the result of taking the seriousness of these medications for granted.

Under a doctor's supervision and following his recommendations, life-threatening complications seem unlikely. When people disregard the serious nature of stimulant medication, they are disregarding their health and putting themselves at risk. While combining gasoline and fire can be very safe when contained to the combustion chamber of a car's engine, taking gasoline and fire outside of those boundaries becomes dangerous. When it comes to my health, I'm not about to go slopping gasoline all around a burning fire.

When people abuse stimulants, I take it personally. To make an undoubtedly controversial comparison, Adderall has been the "Jesus" of medications for me -- my ADD-caused "sins" have been forgiven. My eyes have been open and I have been saved from the life I was headed towards. My life now has meaning, purpose, accomplishment, confidence, happiness, empathy, understanding, and clarity -- the "fog" has lifted and I see the proverbial light. With my gratitude for the good fortune of living in a time where such life-changing results are possible -- let alone in a little bottle with a ten dollar copay -- it makes me livid to hear about people abusing what is, to me, a blessing. I can't fathom violating what I've nicknamed "my life force."

With Adderall's life-altering, life-saving abilities, it certainly warrants more respect than to be carelessly abused.

I apologize to anyone who dislikes what I've said, and thus, leave myself open for criticism. :rolleyes:

Julie

charlie
12-06-04, 03:39 PM
Well said naïve child of 22!

BenFoldsNerd
12-06-04, 03:43 PM
Thanks, Charlie... I do what I can. :p

Nucking_Futs
12-07-04, 11:35 AM
*pats Julie on the back* Good girl!!

Draga
12-07-04, 12:28 PM
Bravo, Julie! :D TYVM!

blueyemass1979
12-07-04, 09:30 PM
Charlie, the addicts per se aren't the worst of it. The people who are really in the seventh circle of hell are the people who actually steal it from an ADHD person or buy it from someone who has stolen it (rather than just getting a doctor friend to prescribe). I read a Wall Street Journal article quoting a teenager as saying he took it from his brother's bottle--nonchalantly, as if that weren't 10X worse than ripping off a convenience store. Can you imagine what it would be like to suddenly have your month's medication stolen?

BenFoldsNerd
12-07-04, 09:40 PM
Can you imagine what it would be like to suddenly have your month's medication stolen?

I don't even want to think about that scenario. :p

Draga
12-07-04, 10:29 PM
Can you imagine what it would be like to suddenly have your month's medication stolen?

Can You say, rampage on everyone around me while I am looking for it, possibly causing ....ack I dont even wanna think what would happen :eek:

charlie
12-08-04, 10:01 AM
blue,
I really don't want to imagine anyone else's guilt, etc I have enough of my own, thank you very much;)

I do worry that if we aren't vigilant enough folks who aren't under a docs care will think it (ADD/HD) is all about the medicine.

Worrywart that I am my fear is all this attention about RX and folks that are abusing it will make it even MORE difficult for those ADDers whose lives benefit so much from their pDocs prescription.

I've read so many posts about ADD meds being such a positive change in folks outlook and quality of life!

BenFoldsNerd
12-08-04, 10:04 AM
blue,
I really don't want to imagine anyone else's guilt, etc I have enough of my own, thank you very much;)

I do worry that if we aren't vigilant enough folks who aren't under a docs care will think it (ADD/HD) is all about the medicine.

Worrywart that I am my fear is all this attention about RX and folks that are abusing it will make it even MORE difficult for those ADDers whose lives benefit so much from their pDocs prescription.

I've read so many posts about ADD meds being such a positive change in folks outlook and quality of life!

Amen, Charlie!

robmhill
12-08-04, 10:12 AM
even worse is the press using it for ratings, with that ****ty drugs are bad even meds, like there is some fixed determined moral thing one can asign to it.

like it is better to be sick than to take meds.

there was an idependant study done on ritalin and kids, it turned out there are many times more people who should get it and are not
than shouldn't and are.

same with pain meds.

morals are for people too stupid to understand the complexities of life, and think for themselves, there have been studies done on religous morality and honesty, and helping people, they found an inverse relationship.

http://www.objectivethought.com/atheism/iqstats.html

most of the problems with drug abuse are about the money
and drugs that are very toxic cause people to hit bottom faster. so they get off it
and set an example for others, look at crack and coke use.
it is cheaper than ever and only the poor and very ignorant are still using it.

KFabulous
08-30-06, 11:42 PM
Anyone who takes more Adderall or any ADD medication has a history of drug problems should not be given any meds period. If the doctors knew about that, they would take you off the meds ASAP! This is not something to mess around with. Only a doctor can tell you how much you need by your reaction to the stimulant. I am not trying to be mean, I just care and I don't want to see anyone get hurt. This is a place for people to help eachother through our struggles. I hope I haven't offended anyone. People who abuse it and die or end up in the hospital are only making it harder for the people who use it they way it was intended. Please be careful everyone! :)

*~ §EEK ~*
08-31-06, 01:08 AM
Anyone who takes more Adderall or any ADD medication has a history of drug problems should not be given any meds period. If the doctors knew about that, they would take you off the meds ASAP! This is not something to mess around with. Only a doctor can tell you how much you need by your reaction to the stimulant. I am not trying to be mean, I just care and I don't want to see anyone get hurt. This is a place for people to help each other through our struggles. I hope I haven't offended anyone. People who abuse it and die or end up in the hospital are only making it harder for the people who use it they way it was intended. Please be careful everyone! :)I gotta hand it to you KF! :)

You may be pulling up 1 1/2 year old posts, but they are certainly some doosies! LOL :D

Peace! :)

VisualImagery
08-31-06, 01:10 AM
I did the old post thing once by accident-too bad it wasn't a doozie.

Haven't heard that work in a long time.

*~ §EEK ~*
08-31-06, 01:14 AM
I did the old post thing once by accident-too bad it wasn't a doozie.

Haven't heard that work in a long time.work?? LOL :D

I was wondering how to spell doozie! Thanks! :)

My spell checker was undecided, so I was too! LOL :D

D.B. Cooper
08-31-06, 03:25 AM
Anyone who takes more Adderall or any ADD medication has a history of drug problems should not be given any meds period. If the doctors knew about that, they would take you off the meds ASAP! Yes, lets punish the people who are self medicating and probably need to be medicated the worst. If i didnt value my account here this post would be an immense flame. You disgust me.

*~ §EEK ~*
08-31-06, 04:08 AM
Yes, lets punish the people who are self medicating and probably need to be medicated the worst. If i didnt value my account here this post would be an immense flame. You disgust me.You disgust me for ragging on a Newbie!

Lighten up buddy, she only joined about 8 hours ago!

D.B. Cooper
08-31-06, 04:33 AM
You disgust me for ragging on a Newbie!

Lighten up buddy, she only joined about 8 hours ago!To post inflammatory material apparently. While i fully agree the premise of this thread is in bad taste and may be simply trolling. Jumping on the other side of the fence and doing the same thing isnt excusable.

KFabulous
08-31-06, 05:58 AM
what I meant was anyone who has a history of abusing drugs shouldn't be given something that they can abuse . Not all people with ADD OMG! My mispelling made it something I didn't want to say! Sorry!!!! That's not what I meant at all! Now I feel like an ***! I guess I must proof read a bit better next time then! Hhehe I'm just pretty! :)

D.B. Cooper
08-31-06, 06:01 AM
I would be unmedicated then and would most probably end up killing myself or be forced to be homeless or locked up somewhere as im completely non-functional without medication.

I spent most of my teenage years and early 20s self medicating with pot, lsd, methamphetamine. Essentially anything that would change my perspective for a moment. This wasnt because i was a bad person it was because the consequence of not doing so would invariably be something just as destructive if not more.

You must understand we all dont exist in this little narrow consensus reality where things are black and white and simple.

Anonymous_steve
08-31-06, 01:26 PM
I am kinda new to the stimulants, so i will give a bit of history, was dx with add 1.5 years ago. I tried welbutrin, staterra, than rittallin. The rittaline 60mg a day worked a little but not much, Last week I asked to try Adderall she gave me a script for 20mg xr a day, it did really nothing. I went back in monday, and she said to double it 40mg xr, it went up 10mg for 1 day and nothing, the next day I did 30mg and hey their is something so I took the other 10 and my afternoon was kinda cool. yesturday I took the hole 40mg in the am, and was suprised how I did, I read much better, actually looked at my work with clear eyes not in a " I am just blindy starrying" motion.

today kinda the same, I last week I would have never read this entire thread, with all the page long replies, today it was fun.

Now to my point, I am taking more than recomended does. 10 more mg's. I think it could do better and after next week if I feel the same, I will ask to try 50mg's. I also think it wore off early like 2:00 and i work till 6, 11 hour days. I would love to try 20 or 30 at like 1 or 2, dont know for sure yet till I go a week or so were I am at.

Now the point, If I am conciderd abuising the drug or and in danger of frying my kidneys in the long run, I guess I am a drugie and thank god for the extra kidney, I will be nice to my kids incase when I am old I need some other part they didnt know about long term use. I am liking how I feel and can start to see how maybe I should feel. My wife told me the other night " welcome to normal" when I told her how it was going.

If my heart started flipping out I would stop, I wont take more than my doc gives me, but I do think the meds should when you get home also, add does effect my family. My wife is very pateint and I would love her to reap some of the benifits from a calmer more alert, focused, and awake husband.
I do feel I need to watch my foods I eat, and exercise to make sure I do my part to stay fit and that is new for me.
So if you concider me a tweeker meth addict, or guy who is gonna die, I belive Quality of life, not Quantity.

My 2 cents.

P.S. Still patting myself on the back for reading this hole thread and staying interested in it.

meadd823
08-31-06, 02:12 PM
"You disgust me IS a FLAME!"

In order for some thing NOT to be a flame it must deal with the post or the idea NOT the person.

Just thought I wound mention this minor detail to every one as a reminder.

***Please do not respond to this moderator note on the thread any questions should be directed to staff directly via private message, (preferably the staff of this section if it is dealing with this thread specifically)***

Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

(Now how did I get here more importantly how do I return?)

KFabulous
08-31-06, 04:18 PM
I am sooo sorry DB! I was being insensitive to your feelings! Please accept my appology. It is hard for all of us, and we need to support each other.

You are right. Most of us who have ADHD, have a history or are more at risk to abuse substance. I just meant for the people who don't have ADHD, and pretend to, then get in trouble make it hard for the good folks like ourselves to get the medicine we need. That makes upset. Again I am very sorry and I hope you forgive me. :)

Chris2
08-31-06, 10:31 PM
Anyone who takes more Adderall or any ADD medication has a history of drug problems should not be given any meds period. If the doctors knew about that, they would take you off the meds ASAP! This is not something to mess around with. Only a doctor can tell you how much you need by your reaction to the stimulant. I am not trying to be mean, I just care and I don't want to see anyone get hurt. This is a place for people to help eachother through our struggles. I hope I haven't offended anyone. People who abuse it and die or end up in the hospital are only making it harder for the people who use it they way it was intended. Please be careful everyone! :)

I agree with you 100%, this doesn’t mean these people will go without treatment, it just means they will be given one better suited to personal history. And anyone who thinks any drug or drugs are going to fix there problems is very wrong. The drugs are just a tool; the person has to really want too be successful too.

Hyperion
09-01-06, 12:29 AM
Ah, but Chris, you have it backwards.

Leaving aside the fact that the largest clinical study on ADHD (actually, the largest clinical study ever done on any childhood mental disorder) showed that medication was the single most effective treatment. So yes, in that case, they would be going without the single most effective known treatment.

However, I'm more concerned with the attitude in the later part of your post. People can really want to be successful and still fail. If taking medication allows them to focus their efforts and succeed through hard work, where before their hard work was worth nothing, then I don't see why it's a problem.

And the thing is, a large number of people with ADHD have had substance use/abuse issues. If you're going to say that people who have had substance abuse problems (leaving simple use aside for the moment) shouldn't be prescribed ADHD meds, then you'd prevent 30% of people with ADHD from potentially receiving treatment.

It's nice that you have strong feelings on the subject, but you need to understand that feelings and emotions are not research, they are not evidence, and they aren't necessarily right.

I'm surprised that this thread wasn't locked from the beginning, but to respond to the original poster:

1. Do not take more of your medication than prescribed without speaking with your doctor. Sometimes, especially when starting, your doctor may tell you to take a certain dose at first, and increase it in a certain increment until you find a dose that works. However, it is dangerous to take larger doses without speaking with your doctor first.

2. If at any time you believe that your life is in danger, that you are experiencing a medical condition that could result in serious injury or death, where there is a clear emergency, then GO TO THE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and most importantly do not worry about what non-medical consequences might result.

3. It is possible to die while taking ADHD meds, but it is extremely rare. 25 deaths total over the past 5 years. Some of the people had known cardiovascular conditions, and not all were definitively linked to the medication, they only died while taking it. However, even if we assume that all 25 deaths were due to the medications, that's still 25 deaths over a 5 year period during which 3 million prescriptions were dispensed per month. I actually did the math in another thread, but basically, I have a better chance of scoring with that chick on Mythbusters than dying from my Adderall.

Unfortunately, while ours is a probabilistic universe, I don't think that either of those is going to happen.

Tragically,

Chris2
09-01-06, 01:53 AM
However, I'm more concerned with the attitude in the later part of your post. People can really want to be successful and still fail. If taking medication allows them to focus their efforts and succeed through hard work, where before their hard work was worth nothing, then I don't see why it's a problem.

Yes, I do think medication is the best treatment. And I plan on using medication myself. I have been the above situation, but even then I could have done more and I can only blame myself. Only I can put my foot down and take control over my life, the medication can’t do that for me.

To use medication as anymore then a tool, will most currently lead to failure once again.

Hyperion
09-01-06, 09:56 AM
Ok, I'll grant you that medication won't make you succeed on its own, it can only allow one to be successful if you try.

But in my experience, a lot of people with ADHD really do want to be successful, they try really, really hard and get frustrated and upset that people always assume that they're lazy. Once you give them the opportunity to succeed, usually with medication, they try as hard as they can because they know what failing is like and don't ever want it to happen again. I'm sure that there are some people who still won't try, who are just lazy in general aside from ADHD problems, but my experience has been that gaining the ability to turn one's effort into action is a powerful wake-up call that will usually motivate people enough on its own, making them feel the need to make up for years of lost opportunities.

kvrrd
09-01-06, 02:21 PM
In rats, the oral LD 50 of dextroamphetamine sulfate is 96.8 mg/kg.
Rats are used because some of their systems are very similar to ours.
If we can use the same ratio of mg to kg for humans then:
Given a 200 lb person:
200/2.2 = 90 kgm roughly.
90 kgm x 97 mg/kgm = 8730 mg / 40 mg = over 200 - 40mg doses of Adderall.
If that much adderall was taken at once - just by itself it would be lethal to everyone.

I'm not crazy about the many side-effects at regular doses.
And it seems that many of us take more than just Adderall.
I think it's rather easy to spiral out of control due to interactions - unknowingly.

GO TO THE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, do not collect $200,
absolutely. serotonin syndrome, liver failure, stroke, etc.

And yes, meds are a tool to be used to help us perform better within the mainstream.
And to help us feel better - not being able to complete a thought coherently or organize yourself or remember details, etc. is a drag. Once you're dosed - the rest is up to you: take charge personally or seek additional help through some kind of cognitive behavior therapy.

Renton
09-02-06, 05:45 AM
It seems to me that a bigger danger from amphetamines and ritalin is the damage that can happen from long term use. I know people who abused speed and have developed long term mental health problems like psychosis or depression, and also the malnutrition from not eating enough. This is from taking large doses of crystal meth though so I know it doesent necessarily mean that adderall or dexedrine could do it. But if you took large enough doses I'm sure you could get similar problems.

beatrice1975
09-03-06, 12:49 AM
Good lord, this is some great advice.
I'd also recommend dying when it comes to facing the legal consequences of an overdose.
DON'T CALL 911!
Very funny indeed.
You will feel like **** when you come down, its probly nothing i was tweaking yesterday. You cant OD on adderall. I talked to a guy who has been doing that stuff for years, so NEVER call the hospitol, you will get drug charges, lose your medication ect...

*~ §EEK ~*
09-03-06, 11:39 AM
It seems to me that a bigger danger from amphetamines and ritalin is the damage that can happen from long term use. I know people who abused speed and have developed long term mental health problems like psychosis or depressionMRI Brain Scans of Methamphetamine Addicts look the same as MRI Brain Scans of Schizophrenics!

That's all I needed to see to convince me of the dangers of abusing stimulants!

One would think a few before Meth addiction, and after Meth addiction photos would convince the not so Radiologically minded folks of the dangers! However, some people are convinced that it will never happen to them, or that it's not addicting! Unfortunately, the people that could tell them otherwise are dead!

I saw on television recently that there is only a 6% recovery rate for Meth addiction. That's pretty scary if it's true! :eek:

Peace! :)

kvrrd
09-12-06, 08:54 PM
I just read something, and may have posted here somewhere, that after a year of not taking meth, that brain function returns to normal or pre-meth function. Like the liver regenerating once you stop drinking - if that's what caused the damage. The lungs clear after smoking stops too - don't recall how long that takes though.

Hyperion
09-13-06, 03:25 AM
Also, there is an important difference between "damage" that occurs due to neurotransmitter depletion, and actual neurotoxicity, which is permanent. Even then, remember that drinking alcohol or being alive past the age of 30 will cause neurotoxicity as well.

kvrrd
09-14-06, 06:37 PM
Also, there is an important difference between "damage" that occurs due to neurotransmitter depletion, and actual neurotoxicity, which is permanent.
I wonder if any kind of depletion can invoke neurotoxicity? There are various causes for depletion, like sustained stress versus something like tripping , meaning temporarily invoked by drugs. Recovery time would be different. Taking LSD repeatedly would be sustained stress. yikes, never mind. But can depletion invoke permanent damage?
I really don't want to believe that neurotoxicity is permanent...

kvrrd
09-14-06, 07:19 PM
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurotoxicity/neurotoxicity.htm

What is Neurotoxicity?
Neurotoxicity occurs when the exposure to natural or manmade toxic substances (neurotoxicants) alters the normal activity of the nervous system. This can eventually disrupt or even kill neurons, key cells that transmit and process signals in the brain and other parts of the nervous system. Neurotoxicity can result from exposure to substances used in chemotherapy, radiation treatment, drug therapies, and organ transplants, as well as exposure to heavy metals such as lead and mercury, certain foods and food additives, pesticides, industrial and/or cleaning solvents, cosmetics, and some naturally occurring substances. Symptoms may appear immediately after exposure or be delayed. They may include limb weakness or numbness; loss of memory, vision, and/or intellect; headache; cognitive and behavioral problems; and sexual dysfunction. Individuals with certain disorders may be especially vulnerable to neurotoxicants.

[/url]What is the prognosis?
<DISORDER_PROGNOSIS>The prognosis depends upon the length and degree of exposure and the severity of neurological injury. In some instances, exposure to neurotoxicants can be fatal. In others, patients may survive but not fully recover. In other situations, many individuals recover completely after treatment.
</DISORDER_PROGNOSIS>

("]Is there any treatment?
<DISORDER_TREATMENT>Treatment involves eliminating or reducing exposure to the toxic substance, followed by symptomatic and supportive therapy.
</DISORDER_TREATMENT>

[url=")What research is being done?
<DISORDER_RESEARCH>The NINDS supports research on disorders of the brain and nervous system such as neurotoxicity, aimed at learning more about these disorders and finding ways to prevent and treat them. Scientists are investigating the role occupational or environmental toxicants have on progressive neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, and dementia. Also being studied are the mechanisms that trigger neuroimmune responses in the central nervous system and the possibility that some brain disorders in children may occur when environmental triggers interact with genes.

</DISORDER_RESEARCH>

David Reed
05-18-08, 05:15 AM
Some advise for those who are not abusing adderall but, find them selfs taking more than prescribed. Adderall robs your body of Magnisuam by Supplementing magnisuam into your diet this should lower your bodys tolerance to adderall and hopefuly get you back on the prescribed amount. Do a google search to find out why it works

natemosier1227
02-14-09, 10:21 AM
hi everyone. I have to agree with all the people who have been taking the stuff for several years, as I have. From personal experience, it's addicting because the people taking it in extremely small doses are rendering it useless. Something like 90 mg a day is small to me. When I started the tolerance was there right away and a doctor of mine upped my dose within months from one thirdy mg to 180 mg, twice that of a "very high dosage" 90 mg. This is not the case with everyone. Some people can take the stuff and never become addicted, however the question comes to mind whether they need it at all. To take a low dose, I know you all will argue that it does wonders for you, but for me seems pointless. I'll try getting off of it but doubt I wil because I can't barely get out of bed without it, due to the fatigue it's absence creates. I also want to say that I agree and am sure that the drug can kill people in high doses, but you have to know you're body type. I have all around low energy so I can handle extremely high doses without a problem. None of you will believe this, but last may I took some where around 180 30 mg capsules in under a few hours. It is addictive to a lot of people, so beware. You're doing your body harm by not staying on a low dose or none atall. It does incredible things but only for a breif period of time and then it's effects all seem to fade. I haven't noticed any of these side effects people mention, but maybe it's just me. Considering you guys nailed the person that said they take 240 mg a day, it will be interesting to hear your responses. Bottom line, I'll never get as high as I've been on adderall ever again, sad truth, no matter what the dosage. If I can't quit I'll go get some other kind of treatment, but don't take the chance of getting addicted to this breifly great, disabling drug. Like others on here I am dependent on the stuff. You may not share my opinion but what I say is true. I know people with narcolepsy and adhd greatly benefit from the drug, but taking 60 mg a day, I don't see how. I wished I'd never taken this stimulant. It's widthdrawal is painful and does not seem to deminish with time. It's an awful feeling coming down and having to go without it. I don't want to take it anymore but have to. I take breaks so the drug has some effect, but can't say it does all that much for me. For those that can enjoy small doses, good for you. But I can't and when i don't have it, it disables me. Pretty sad for such a once seemingly great drug.

Don't judge the book by it's cover.

meadd823
02-15-09, 12:50 AM
I have been taking adderall for over ten years and ya know I don't go into withdraws when I quit taking it as the stuff leaves my system every night when I sleep.

When I run completely out due to forgetfulness I go into an inattentive fog for a while, get dingy, then I get hyperactive which is my natural state before medications = meaning when my medication leave my system I return to my previous ADD state - Seeing medications are a treatment and not a cure like an antibiotic this is no real surprise.

As far as low doses being useless - perhaps for a buzz it is but I do not take my medications to get high I take them to function period. I have not felt my medications in years as I have long sense adjusted to the chemical changes.

Treating ADD isn't about feeling better or getting high it is about allowing those of us who simply want to function to be able to make the necessary life modifications to do so .

Taking the medication to get high does a grave injustice to all concerned including but not limited to yourself.

People like you make it harder for people like me to get proper treatment. I know most who abuse ADD medication really couldn't care less how their actions effect people they don't even know seeing they don't even care how their actions are effecting them - no surprises there either .

The horrible withdraws and such from medication abuse are the consequences of your own actions - this is where I return the ambivalence. If it is such a problem then quit taking the medication all together this way you only go through withdraw once and it is over with forever. To complain about withdraw and continue abusing the meds is not worthy of my sympathies that is for sure.

It is my hopes that all doctors who prescribe such outlandish doses {should they actually exist} also get what they deserve as they too are doing the ADD community a disservice .

Nailing you or what ever - ehh why??? It isn't like I am going to be listened to any way.

hollywood
02-16-09, 12:14 AM
I don't get it, I mean I do but I don't? How much did this guy say he took? What was the total amount? I've heard of long term adhd people use 90mg for many many years and people on ritalin adults who have been treated since childhood for doses as large as well over 100 mg or so, but not dosages to cause a buzz..Adhd is not about catching a high or buzz, dude stop looking to get high and break the pattern? I just don't understand some people. I take my meds for adhd , nothing else. I feel no rush, sure it helps me get up and what not but thats just because it helps focus my mind. If I want to have a pick me up I workout or drink caffeine or something but this is not to get high. Seriously , withdraw? yeah if your abusing the med.

Crazybutcute
04-16-09, 02:11 PM
Wow. Interesting post! I have just spent the last thirty minutes reading everyone's two cents and actually learned a few things in the process.
I am currently taking 20 mg of adderall 3 times a day. I think I am going to try a smaller dose, like maybe 10 , because I am noticing quite a bit of bad side effects, such as not sleeping, no appetite, anxiety, headache, nausea. The physical stuff could very well be from not sleeping, and that makes my anxiety worse as well. I just learned today that you can take it with food, so that's good I thought you had to take it on an empty stomach for some reason.
Anyway, I can't imagine taking the amounts some people do. I know that everyone is different, and like someone said as long as they are taking it responsibly then I'm sure it's fine. I just know how I'm feeling right now and I only took 20 mg, about 4 hours ago. I feel pretty yucky but it's starting to get a little better I think. Honestly, right now I feel like I don't want to take any more for the rest of the day. Any advice out there?

chilidog
01-09-10, 01:45 PM
I want to reply to this thread but i just joined so im not sure if this is right

chilidog
01-09-10, 01:49 PM
ok i think i did it right. my issue is, i have add. i don't have to take ritalin to function. but i get a lot more done when i do take it. i did abuse it before. i don't want to do that again. i know i could choose not to. (let's assume i can actually choose not to b.c that's not what i want to discuss - assume i can) so if i could take it without abusing it, the issue is, why do i need a medication so i can get more done? it kind of feels fake to me like anyone (most people) who takes a stimulant will have a little more energy - i just feel like i want to take it but i can function without it so i feel bad if i were to try it again.

chilidog
01-09-10, 01:51 PM
here's the other thing though - sometimes when i take my medication, i still seem totaly hyper like i do when i dont take it. i can concentrate better but i dont get more calm. does that happen to anyone else?>
also, sometimes what happens is that i can concentrate so well that i hyperfocus on something that isn't what i should be prioritzing right then and i get a lot done, but it's like organizing my email or something instead of writing the paper. does that happen to anyone else? i am late all the time (a symptom of add) but with the meds im still late b/c i get caught up in concentrating on doing something. happen to anyone else? cuz if not i'm doubting i have add even though i fit evry criteria.

huston3
02-16-11, 12:25 PM
I'm surprised the administrator allowed the topic of not being able to overdose on methylphenidate to go on. Simply Google "methylphenidate overdose" and read the Drugs.com entry:

"What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of methylphenidate can be fatal."

One should NEVER take ANY drug because it makes you FEEL good, because you're ALWAYS going to want to feel good, whatever the dosage/frequency prescribed. Prescription drugs are to mitigate illness only, and the idea of using them recreationaly is idiocy. And for someone to proclaim that one cannot overdose on ANY stimulant is an inticement to suicide.

huston3
02-16-11, 12:35 PM
Hyperfocus can be good, but you must "do the big rocks first." There's an story about a guy who has a number of large rocks in a pan, next to them are smaller rocks, and next to them, smaller rocks still. and finally, a pan of marbles. He then challenges his students to get them all into a fishbowl. If you take the marbles first, pour them into the bowl, then the next largest rocks, then the next largest, there is no room for the biggest rocks to fit. But if you put in the largest rocks first, then the next smallest, and the next smallest, you find that the marbles will pour and fit into the spaces between the rocks. So you start with the big rocks first. When you make your list of things to do, put a number between 1 to 10 on the list. Make the number larger the more the task causes you anxiety. So doing your email is going to be a 1, while a paper that is due next week might be a 8. Always work from the largest number down. So hyperfocusing on your paper will get it finished, and the rush you get from than will give you the enthusiasm to work on the next big (but smaller and easier) task, until all that's left is your email.

huston3
02-16-11, 12:37 PM
here's the other thing though - sometimes when i take my medication, i still seem totaly hyper like i do when i dont take it. i can concentrate better but i dont get more calm. does that happen to anyone else?>
also, sometimes what happens is that i can concentrate so well that i hyperfocus on something that isn't what i should be prioritzing right then and i get a lot done, but it's like organizing my email or something instead of writing the paper. does that happen to anyone else? i am late all the time (a symptom of add) but with the meds im still late b/c i get caught up in concentrating on doing something. happen to anyone else? cuz if not i'm doubting i have add even though i fit evry criteria.

Hyperfocus can be good, but you must "do the big rocks first." There's an story about a guy who has a number of large rocks in a pan, next to them are smaller rocks, and next to them, smaller rocks still. and finally, a pan of marbles. He then challenges his students to get them all into a fishbowl. If you take the marbles first, pour them into the bowl, then the next largest rocks, then the next largest, there is no room for the biggest rocks to fit. But if you put in the largest rocks first, then the next smallest, and the next smallest, you find that the marbles will pour and fit into the spaces between the rocks. So you start with the big rocks first. When you make your list of things to do, put a number between 1 to 10 on the list. Make the number larger the more the task causes you anxiety. So doing your email is going to be a 1, while a paper that is due next week might be a 8. Always work from the largest number down. So hyperfocusing on your paper will get it finished, and the rush you get from than will give you the enthusiasm to work on the next big (but smaller and easier) task, until all that's left is your email.

huston3
02-16-11, 12:43 PM
Ah, but Chris, you have it backwards.

Leaving aside the fact that the largest clinical study on ADHD (actually, the largest clinical study ever done on any childhood mental disorder) showed that medication was the single most effective treatment. So yes, in that case, they would be going without the single most effective known treatment.

And the thing is, a large number of people with ADHD have had substance use/abuse issues. If you're going to say that people who have had substance abuse problems (leaving simple use aside for the moment) shouldn't be prescribed ADHD meds, then you'd prevent 30% of people with ADHD from potentially receiving treatment.

It's nice that you have strong feelings on the subject, but you need to understand that feelings and emotions are not research, they are not evidence, and they aren't necessarily right.

I'm surprised that this thread wasn't locked from the beginning, but to respond to the original poster:

1. Do not take more of your medication than prescribed without speaking with your doctor. Sometimes, especially when starting, your doctor may tell you to take a certain dose at first, and increase it in a certain increment until you find a dose that works. However, it is dangerous to take larger doses without speaking with your doctor first.

2. If at any time you believe that your life is in danger, that you are experiencing a medical condition that could result in serious injury or death, where there is a clear emergency, then GO TO THE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and most importantly do not worry about what non-medical consequences might result.

3. It is possible to die while taking ADHD meds, but it is extremely rare. 25 deaths total over the past 5 years. Some of the people had known cardiovascular conditions, and not all were definitively linked to the medication, they only died while taking it. However, even if we assume that all 25 deaths were due to the medications, that's still 25 deaths over a 5 year period during which 3 million prescriptions were dispensed per month. I actually did the math in another thread, but basically, I have a better chance of scoring with that chick on Mythbusters than dying from my Adderall.

Unfortunately, while ours is a probabilistic universe, I don't think that either of those is going to happen.

Tragically,

I'm afraid that's scant consolation to the loved ones of the 25 dead patients. Alive without the most effective treatment because of a tendency to put one's life at risk versus death is an easy call for any parent.

toothpick
02-18-11, 01:26 AM
hmm sounds like a story i one read and the main post reminds me of how i type =-D. it just sounds like a story i once read off another site where people post "experiance reports" sounds like a bad idea waiting to happen though moderation is key obviously i mean i can have the same problem too at any given time which is why i used to not even take meds for my add. but the need for instant gratification is what impedes alot of people right? we only are human and all make mistakes live and learn right?

PedroDaGr8
02-18-11, 01:54 AM
I'm afraid that's scant consolation to the loved ones of the 25 dead patients. Alive without the most effective treatment because of a tendency to put one's life at risk versus death is an easy call for any parent.

Not to sound callus but them's the breaks. From 200-2004 there were 12 recorded deaths linked to Adderall. There were 37million prescriptions filled. If we divide by 12 since there is 1 presciption per month. We get around 3 million people taking the drug during this time frame. This results in 1 death in 250,000. For a medicine this is an incredibly high number considering that the death per dose is 1 death in 3 million doses.
It's not to say I wouldn't be affected if it happened to me, I would be devastated if it was my kid, but at the same time I would rest confident knowning that I did the best I could for my child with the chances there are. You take your kid in a car with you? 1 in 100 chance he could die from a car accident. Have a single gas appliance in the house? Chance he could die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning (1 in 1,500,000). Have a single electrical appliance in the house? Chance he could die from electrocution (1 in 5000). Chance he could die from a fire from either of the above (1 in 1116) Quite simply there are probabilities like this in EVERYTHING we do in life. You just play the game of how likely is the chance versus the outcome. Any time you take a medicine then is a chance that you may die. That includes tylenol, antibiotics, etc. 12 out of multiple million over a five year scan is incredibly good. You wouldn't withhold antibiotics from your child? Makes no sense to withhold this either considering their safety is likely very similar. Especially when you place it in a proper perspective with other common causes of death. For example, a stat I saw said erythromycin can cause up to 6 deaths in 10,000.

Only the truth
05-08-12, 09:26 PM
I have been taking adderall for over ten years and ya know I don't go into withdraws when I quit taking it as the stuff leaves my system every night when I sleep.

When I run completely out due to forgetfulness I go into an inattentive fog for a while, get dingy, then I get hyperactive which is my natural state before medications = meaning when my medication leave my system I return to my previous ADD state - Seeing medications are a treatment and not a cure like an antibiotic this is no real surprise.

As far as low doses being useless - perhaps for a buzz it is but I do not take my medications to get high I take them to function period. I have not felt my medications in years as I have long sense adjusted to the chemical changes.

Treating ADD isn't about feeling better or getting high it is about allowing those of us who simply want to function to be able to make the necessary life modifications to do so .

Taking the medication to get high does a grave injustice to all concerned including but not limited to yourself.

People like you make it harder for people like me to get proper treatment. I know most who abuse ADD medication really couldn't care less how their actions effect people they don't even know seeing they don't even care how their actions are effecting them - no surprises there either .

The horrible withdraws and such from medication abuse are the consequences of your own actions - this is where I return the ambivalence. If it is such a problem then quit taking the medication all together this way you only go through withdraw once and it is over with forever. To complain about withdraw and continue abusing the meds is not worthy of my sympathies that is for sure.

It is my hopes that all doctors who prescribe such outlandish doses {should they actually exist} also get what they deserve as they too are doing the ADD community a disservice .

Nailing you or what ever - ehh why??? It isn't like I am going to be listened to any way.

How do you have the nerve to tell her that after she obviously came on here to get some HELPFUL advice. I wasn't going to post on here until I saw your comment and got ticked off. YOU may not have addictive problems but it is a whole lot easier for teenagers and college students to get addicted to that stuff. It's not as easy as you make it sound. I came on here to seek advice also. Now, which leads me to my main point to everyone else....

I actually to an 8 hour test and was TOLD that I am ADD. I was introduced to it by my father in high school but it wasn't until college that I was actually tested for it. I admit, I had a terrible childhood and if got tested would probably have a personality disorder, but what is crazy is no one would ever no but me because my whole life I just had random crazy thoughts at times (nothing crazy serious) that I just keep to myself..

In high school I never did drugs and always refused to do them and then college roles around. I start having bad grades, girl problems, financial problems and it was then that I was invited to smoke... I didn't know that my next two years I was going to turn into a pot head and was actually smoking to deal with the pain inside. I found this out after some deep counseling. All of that stuff triggered my addiction to things especially adderol which I HATE and LOVE at the sane time.

My dad is an alcoholic and so is my uncle. My other uncle has a gambling problem and on my mothers side, my grandparents are worthless alcoholics that never worked a day in their life and my grandmother take 90 loratabs a month!! So I'm starting to thing it's either in your genetic make up that makes people abuse drugs or it is coming from your childhood development??

When I tell you this I'm sure some will disagree and some can relate, but I have gotten to the point that my adderol addiction is out of my hands... I've tried quitting for a week and things went well.. My heart rate was down, less depressed, slept better, socialized better, just felt freaking good to be normal again, but on the other hand I will not study for anything. I completely hate school when I don't have it so I am pulled right back in to the adderol.

The most that I took in a day was 8 30 mg adderol tablets, the highest dose they make. I get 60 10 mg from my doctor but they are candy to me and I have a sweet tooth and they are gone in a week. Then I just get more from other people because it's everywhere in college.

It goes like this, especially during finals week which is now.. Go to bed at 4:30 wake up at 7 pop 3 20's study for 15 min play solitare watch tv fix anything and everything do something that you usually wouldn't do and for long periods of time then about 3 hours roles around pop 3 more 20's. I just started to lose a little bit of focus and could fill so I has to pop more then around 6:00 take 3 more and if I'm lucky by 3:00 after getting absolutely nothing done all day then I will have some wine to put me to sleep and do it all over.

Some people can't resist the urge to stop taking another one and it has to do with how you were raised as a child. If your parents taught you how to be a man and do things on your own and showed you love and didn't abuse you and most importantly taught you to have self confidence by helping you be something in life. Because without knowing who YOU are as a person then you are always going to have addiction tendencies or even worse you'll be 50 years old looking back saying damn when did I decide that I was going to have this terrible life that I do not even remember..

Yes, I could stop if I went to get help but it's kind of a double edge sword. One side I will be fixed but then I will forever have that label as 'sober' for 20 years off adderol and the other side if I don't then I'm pretty much screwed. I can't afford 30 days because literally this next year decides the rest of my life..

If I had any advice- do not ever take adderol especially if your family has addiction problems. In all seriousness..

Dubwise
05-10-12, 09:48 AM
I disagree, there is no case of anyone dying from Ritalin, there is a lot of antidotal evidence from the anti-med squad. Any maybe that one small boy who ate his whole bottle of meds, but that's a more normal toxicology thing.

Your brain can only use so much Ritalin (since it is basically a dopamine uptake inhibitor) it doesn't send your brain into overdrive.

I can not post to an article online unfortunately. However, when I was in high school a kid that I knew went into cardiac arrest from snorting too much Ritalin. Now it may be far less likely when taken as prescribed but the point I am making is that there is such a thing as a toxic reaction from a dose that is too large. Do not fool yourself into believing that it is not possible. I am nearly certain that any drug with addictive qualities has the potential to be fatal at a high enough dose.

here is a hard number: 51 deaths in the UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/feb/11/health.medicineandhealth

National institute of health info on overdose: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682188.html

Bocephas
05-10-12, 05:01 PM
I'd rather people fear the drug more than necessary. While it does add an ugly stigma to those of us who need it, too many idiots read posts from educated individuals and misconstrue what is actually said.

Slybfoxx
05-11-12, 01:05 AM
hi everyone. I have to agree with all the people who have been taking the stuff for several years, as I have. From personal experience, it's addicting because the people taking it in extremely small doses are rendering it useless. Something like 90 mg a day is small to me. When I started the tolerance was there right away and a doctor of mine upped my dose within months from one thirdy mg to 180 mg, twice that of a "very high dosage" 90 mg. This is not the case with everyone. Some people can take the stuff and never become addicted, however the question comes to mind whether they need it at all. To take a low dose, I know you all will argue that it does wonders for you, but for me seems pointless. I'll try getting off of it but doubt I wil because I can't barely get out of bed without it, due to the fatigue it's absence creates. I also want to say that I agree and am sure that the drug can kill people in high doses, but you have to know you're body type. I have all around low energy so I can handle extremely high doses without a problem. None of you will believe this, but last may I took some where around 180 30 mg capsules in under a few hours. It is addictive to a lot of people, so beware. You're doing your body harm by not staying on a low dose or none atall. It does incredible things but only for a breif period of time and then it's effects all seem to fade. I haven't noticed any of these side effects people mention, but maybe it's just me. Considering you guys nailed the person that said they take 240 mg a day, it will be interesting to hear your responses. Bottom line, I'll never get as high as I've been on adderall ever again, sad truth, no matter what the dosage. If I can't quit I'll go get some other kind of treatment, but don't take the chance of getting addicted to this breifly great, disabling drug. Like others on here I am dependent on the stuff. You may not share my opinion but what I say is true. I know people with narcolepsy and adhd greatly benefit from the drug, but taking 60 mg a day, I don't see how. I wished I'd never taken this stimulant. It's widthdrawal is painful and does not seem to deminish with time. It's an awful feeling coming down and having to go without it. I don't want to take it anymore but have to. I take breaks so the drug has some effect, but can't say it does all that much for me. For those that can enjoy small doses, good for you. But I can't and when i don't have it, it disables me. Pretty sad for such a once seemingly great drug.

Don't judge the book by it's cover.

Wow that is a LOT (180 mg) unreal!

Urgezz
05-11-12, 04:35 AM
^your problems lie elsewhere if your taking that much adderall, which frankly no reasonable doctor would prescribe. In fact he/she would probably lose their license in some states.

caughtinabadone
05-11-12, 08:57 AM
this thread is from 2004 guys :eek:

SnareDrumzZz
05-13-12, 08:45 PM
You will feel like **** when you come down, its probly nothing i was tweaking yesterday. You cant OD on adderall. I talked to a guy who has been doing that stuff for years, so NEVER call the hospitol, you will get drug charges, lose your medication ect...lolll dude......you can od on amps and if you witness it you will see how its the WORSE od to be had....if you lose meds who cares dude. If you need help call someone. Your advice is very hazordous. I have had overdoses. I over did amps a few times. whomever told you you cant od on amps is ignorant. If you ever get any worrys call a friend at least. I have been through hell and back...I have crossed over more than once....please dont just wait it out. If your taking a drug and you take more than you can handle PLEASE dont be afraid to call a friend or parents..people who love you.