View Full Version : Other high-energy beverages?

eclectic beagle
04-22-12, 06:35 PM
I've been drinking soft drinks like Mountain Dew and Pepsi for as long as I can remember, to give me that much needed mental boost, to offset the ADHD. However, recently I've been trying to change my intake to include healthier items, considered switching to coffee but I'm not much of a coffee drinker. Anyone care to make a suggestion? And honestly, Mountain Dew and the like haven't really benefited me to an extent I'd deem worthwhile in tandem with the negative side-effects.

Medication isn't an option for me at the moment, and I need some form of liquid stimulation.

pooka
04-22-12, 08:26 PM
I used to drink chai tea every day before starting my homework. You could give that a try - on average it's got slightly less caffeine than Mountain Dew and quite a lot less than coffee, but it usually does the trick for me.

demuregeek
04-22-12, 08:53 PM
Tea can be really nice. Most caffeine drinks just seem to make me a bit more awake and able to focus, but tea seems to give a slight, gentle mental boost -- like it makes me think better.

IMHO, though, most people make it far too weak for it to be worthwhile. I use two tea bags in a 16oz mug, pour boiling water over, steep it for five minutes, then add two tablespoons of sugar and a good slosh of milk.

Yerba mate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate) can be a nice change of pace when you're feeling like a brown-water receptacle from other forms of caffeine.

silivrentoliel
04-22-12, 09:28 PM
I love love love coffee, but if you're looking for other caffeine type things and can't find something you like, why not just use caffeine pills from the drug store? They are a miracle pill on my bad days. It's just enough kick to get my brain back in gear- especially since coffee doesn't effect me.

Joker_Girl
04-23-12, 12:57 AM
Do they still make Jolt? That was like super Mountain Dew. Seriously when i was in college (prediagnosis) if I had to settle in and study or work on a report or something....I would have a couple bottles of Jolt and a couple of mini thins back when they were around. It worked great to keep me on track. It was probably awful for every other part of my body, but I could get my work done!

I enjoy straight tea, just normal tea, sweet or not, iced. I also enjoy energy drinks. My personal favorites are Grape Amp, the sugar free Monster, and the Rockstar Energy Punch. They are really sweet though so the calories sneak up on you and im sure its rough on your teeth. I used to consume probably 4 or more energy drinks a day....I know its bad. I have cut back to one or less now.

I dont know that there is any caffiene in them, in fact I am sure there isnt, but I really enjoy this fruit juice called "Naked". It is pricey, like $2.50 apiece, but holy cow is it yummy and it is just full of good stuff. The best ones are "Mighty Mango" and "Green Machine"....Green Machine looks dreadful but yum! I wouldnt recommend these with any amphetamine because I am sure they all have lots of citric acid in them, they have all kind of fruit juice. My gosh they are good! If you see one try it. If you like Orange juice that Mighty Mango is great...its got like Mangos, Oranges, Bananas, etc.

Rebelyell
04-23-12, 03:45 AM
Yeah I like the naked drink line too,there all pretty good,I really like the mango,the green one and the white one even the berry ones are good too depending on what mood im in.I like mt dew, JOlt,grape amp,red bull is reserved for vodka aand jaggermeister .Ive had the cocaine energy drink and im still mixed on it.I drink so much of it and then I become very anxious and agitated and all hyper and then Im useless. Years ago I drank jolt coming home from the beach and went to sleep in the back of the car. 2 weeks later I came home from playing billiards had 2 again thinking it didnt do squat tome. Around 1130 midnite just as I was ready for bed it kicked in.Holy crap my heart was racing I couldnt sit still,I was like for some reason rubbing and itching my both arms,brain was going 110mph hour.I didnt know what to do w my self and stayed up like all nite. When it wore off I was like WOW so this is what cocaine does to people,just wow.

stef
04-23-12, 04:10 AM
I really love blue powerade. I don't think it has any caffeine but there's someting "replenishing" about it.

sighduck
04-23-12, 10:32 AM
CCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIII IEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE

or

C8H10N4O2

heytheredelilah
04-24-12, 12:16 PM
I hated coffee but you can get used to it... There's also the option of flavoured coffees. I can't think of any other "healthy' caffeinated beverages tbh

eclectic beagle
04-24-12, 06:14 PM
I love love love coffee, but if you're looking for other caffeine type things and can't find something you like, why not just use caffeine pills from the drug store? They are a miracle pill on my bad days. It's just enough kick to get my brain back in gear- especially since coffee doesn't effect me.

Caffeine pills occurred to me but I think it would be incredibly easy to become addicted to those, and abuse them.

As for coffee, the iced frappes at McDonalds are excellent, but they sure are pricey. I've also been considering tea, but don't know if it packs the "punch" I need to remain alert.

Fuzzy12
04-24-12, 06:16 PM
Lucozade (though I'm not sure you can get it in the US). I think, it's basically just flavoured water enhanced with some vitamins. It really, really gives me a bit of an energy boost though!!

I hate all other energy drinks. (except for coffee). They taste vile. :umm1:

eclectic beagle
04-24-12, 06:50 PM
Lucozade (though I'm not sure you can get it in the US). I think, it's basically just flavoured water enhanced with some vitamins. It really, really gives me a bit of an energy boost though!!

I hate all other energy drinks. (except for coffee). They taste vile. :umm1:

Yeah, I've tried quite a few energy drinks, the one that seemed to help me the most was the blue amp focus (also loved the killer b for taste), but those types of drinks are incredibly unhealthy long-term, so I had to cut the habit.

ana futura
04-24-12, 10:13 PM
You can make your own iced coffee at home! It won't quite be a frappe, but it will have more caffeine, and be healthier and cheaper.

Just make hot coffee with a mr. coffee or whatever, let it cool, and stick it in the fridge. I usually just add milk, but if you like it sweet you can add sugar and vanilla syrup, or those flavored creamer things. Keep playing with it till you like it. Use lots of milk if the coffee taste is too much for you.

If you really want to get crazy, pick up an espresso machine at the thrift store, make a couple shots, put them in a blender with ice, cream (ice cream?) and sugar. Affordable frappes at home! Mind you, as a person with ADD accomplishing this takes a huge amount of willpower, so it might be a bit counter productive.

For teas- A good english or irish breakfast tea will have quite a bit of punch. Yerba mate tea is awesome, I get a very good alertness from it. The taste may or may not be your thing, it's a bit different.

hjajck
05-21-12, 02:26 PM
I was told not to consume caffeine with meds, but a Red Bull and my morning dose works wonders. Much better than caffeine alone.

As far as addiction goes - you can get easily addicted to caffeine in any form, pills or not. I also have a backup of pills.

I used to drink two drinks sold by direct sales companies that are wonderful for energy. One had Yerba Mate in it, and the other was caffeine and a bunch of vitamins. Both worked really well, but were quite expensive.

So, I just do Red Bull now. Although I really need to wean off that, too, since I have acid reflux. :-/

sarahsweets
05-21-12, 04:59 PM
Coffee is my life, hubby uses a lot of green tea. I've had to rely on monster energy drink in a pinch but its not so good for you. Oh! of course this is terrible to do and you should never start but...I smoke. So nicotine.

salleh
05-21-12, 05:09 PM
a couple of thoughts.....first off, caffeine pills work, but if you take too many ...yikes....speaking from personal experience ....I used to be a substitute teaches k to 6th, and and took 2 or 3 of those pills by recess one day, ....NEVER AGAIN !!! .....

taught me about what too much caffeine does o you though ! ....the last place you want to be over-caffienated is in a classroom of 30 8 year olds ....trust me ....

one or (2 if you're driving and MUST stay awake) is usually enough to keep you going for quite a while .....

but years ago, I discovered this stuff in England ....it was called Jungle Elixor, and it packed a punch but without the caffiene jitters......it had this stuff called guarana,....a South American energy something, it's organic but I forget if it's a seed or what ....but they've been using it in SA for centuries.....

you can get it in capsules from good ole ebay, or any local healthfood store.....and not terribly expensive .....I find that it works better in liquid form, so I just chuck it in some juice of some kind or something strong tasting, ( I have wuzzy taste buds) and down it all at once ....

if you look on the label of the most expensive of the energy drinks or shots, they will have guarana in them .....and the really good ones like the shots Arizona puts out, also have massive amounts of B6 and B12.....

oh yah and vitamin B is good for energy too .....

so if you try guarana in some form and massive B vitamins ....that should make a relatively healthy energy boost .....

oh and guarana is in no way shape or form connected to cocaine ....( even though they have both been used in SA for centuries .....the Indians used to chew coca leaves....)