View Full Version : GHB Really?

escott
04-23-12, 05:27 PM
Someone just told me that there was a drug called GHB and it was a stimulant for narcolepsy. I am still to understand how it works? I can't get a clear definition of the therapeutic value.

tambourine-man
11-02-12, 03:28 PM
The Brand name is Xyrem. It is NOT a stimulant, but a sedative. It is popular in the club scene and as a date rape drug. It increases gaba and supposedly feel similiar to alcohol/barbiturates/benzodiazepines. It is used for narcolepsy because it often manages to put narcoleptics to sleep and induce healthy REM cycles.

SquarePeg
11-02-12, 03:29 PM
Concerta can be used for narcolepsy.

namazu
11-02-12, 10:33 PM
Here is some information about sodium oxybate (GHB, Xyrem) from PubMed Health:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000315/

It says that the medication can help reduce cataplexy -- but, as Tambourine-Man said, it's not a stimulant.

ampakine
02-01-13, 02:58 PM
GHB induces high quality sleep (something that narcoleptics can't get normally). I experimented with GHB extensively as a sleep aid to counteract dexedrine induced insomnia, so I can tell you everything you wanna know about it. In my experience, its a very good emergency/once every now and again sleep aid but its highly addictive so its not something you can take every night without regretting it later down the line. When you take GHB it knocks you out for 4 hours, then you wake up energetic and stimulated so you need to take another dose to sleep another 4 hours. While other people have different experiences, I found that it had a horrible interaction with dexedrine which started after about 4 or 5 nights of using it. It was during exam times and I woke up one morning after sleeping on GHB, I took dexedrine and it worked fine for 4 hours then I started getting these horrific aggitation symptoms, it got so extreme I thought I was gonna die. I don't think that happens to other people though, we all have unique neurochemistry. After that I tried phenibut and the same thing happened.