View Full Version : Coffee!!!!

heytheredelilah
04-24-12, 10:26 AM
I started using this first year of uni. I bought a big container of instant coffee and never read the instructions. I would dump three tablespoons or so of it into a single cup of water and I would be able to focus for 4-5 hours straight.

At the same time, I had begun listening to this buddhist mantra on repeat while I worked. I thought it was the mantra as I had no clue how much caffeine I was taking. Then after a few times of listening to mantra and no coffee I knew something wasn't right though I couldn't put my finger on it.

Later, I realized the instructions on the container specify to add one teaspoon of powder for each cup of coffee. I was taking nine or more times that amount.

I stopped doing this regularly because it seemed unhealthy though I noticed no side effects while doing it every single day, often more than once. It did not prevent me from sleeping if I wanted to and I had no chest pain or jitters.

Now, I have not been assessed yet, but I am sure that if I were to be, I would be given an adhd diagnosis and would be put on pills. I have read the side effects of most of the drugs used to manage adhd as well as people's individual experiences. Overall, I think they are really, really scary and I want to stay away for as long as possible.

Do you think there are greater repercussions to intaking this much coffee/caffeine? More or less bad side effects than taking conventional adhd drugs?

Side note: I do have issues w/ chest pain/tightness sometimes but it is not when I am on caffeine etc. It is usually when I am about to fall asleep etc. and I feel the next day's stress or anytime I am stressed.