View Full Version : Pharmacy in NYC?

retupmock
04-24-12, 05:37 PM
Due to the dexedrine shortage, I had to look up alternatives. Tried methylphenidate already (horrible). Tried adderall (better, but still had anxiety). Tried vyvanse (different insurance now so it's too expensive, and it lasts too long).

Which pharmacies in NYC carry desoxyn, if any? Do they not stock it/order it until a customer shows up with a prescription? Several pharmacies I tried said they didn't have it, and from the looks of it appeared to never have heard of it.

tambourine-man
05-03-12, 08:15 AM
It will likely need to be special ordered. I went to a wal-mart in the suburbs of KC, Kansas that was already supplying it to several customers and didn't blink when I asked about it. Strange...?

retupmock
05-04-12, 05:41 PM
Tambourine-man, do you know if it's on backorder now? I know Mylan makes it, as does Lundbeck.

tambourine-man
05-05-12, 01:16 PM
NOT on backorder.

retupmock
05-05-12, 03:02 PM
That's weird... when I asked the pharmacist to order it, he said it was on backorder. And when I asked him who the manufacturer was, he said Mylan. It would be kinda ****ty if he were lying just to not order it. :\

relax21
05-05-12, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I think the generic Methamphetamine is on back order. Probably due to the Dextroamphetamine shortage. Your best bet would be to order brand name Desoxyn.

retupmock
05-06-12, 08:50 AM
Generic methamphetamine is covered as a tier 1 drug on my insurance, meaning it's the cheapest copayment. I think brand would be way more expensive.

relax21
05-06-12, 12:10 PM
Check with your pharmacist about the cost of Desoxyn. It's going to be expensive, and probably not worth it. If Methamphetamine HCl and Dextroamphetamine Sulfate are both on backorder and you're not willing to pay for brand Desoxyn, switch to Amphetamine Salts or brand Adderall until the Dextroamphetamine Sulfate shortage is over.

relax21
05-06-12, 12:12 PM
Have you considered Dexedrine Spansules or its generic equivalents?

retupmock
05-06-12, 05:27 PM
Adderall/generic produces bad side effects for me. All forms of generic dexedrine seem to be on backorder. Would I have a better chance of finding generic desoxyn in stock in a chain store or a local pharmacy?

relax21
05-06-12, 09:25 PM
Methamphetamine HCl is the rarest stimulant medication used to treat ADHD. I highly doubt any pharmacy would have it in stock. It's a drug you have to order through the pharmacy. If it's on backorder, then you have to wait until Mylan produces more of the generic Methamphetamine. Until then you know the options. Hope things start turning up soon...

tambourine-man
05-07-12, 11:37 AM
Have you considered Dexedrine Spansules or its generic equivalents?

Methamphetamine is an excellent treatment option but the hoops you must jump through to get ahold of it really aren't worth its it only comes in unscored 5mg tablets.

For less money you could get brand name Dexedrine Spansules. I greatly prefer these to any stimulant including Desoxyn.

retupmock
05-07-12, 12:58 PM
Methamphetamine is an excellent treatment option but the hoops you must jump through to get ahold of it really aren't worth its it only comes in unscored 5mg tablets.

For less money you could get brand name Dexedrine Spansules. I greatly prefer these to any stimulant including Desoxyn.

My insurance plan restricts me from getting brand name. Generic is on backorder. Hence the switch to methamphetamine hcl. The fact that they are only 5mg tablets doesn't impact me as I only take a max dose of 10mg dextroamphetamine. In any case, I guess hopefully I'm as lucky as you were and find a store that has the methamphetamine hcl in stock.

relax21
05-07-12, 01:00 PM
...brand name Dexedrine Spansules. I greatly prefer these to any stimulant including Desoxyn.

You can't say that! You've never tried brand name Desoxyn. :p

retupmock
05-10-12, 01:46 PM
UPDATE:

So I guess the generic wasn't on backorder; this small pharmacy ordered it for me. Gave in the prescription yesterday and they had in it today. I still don't understand why two other pharmacies I went to couldn't order it.

Yellow
06-18-12, 09:29 AM
im in NYC and you can get it no problem, i asked my doc and pharmacist, but i still wont take meth

annieadderall
06-23-12, 01:52 PM
Yellow: Are you talking about desoxyn or dextroamphetamine?
I havent gotten my dex rx filled in months now...
(from nyc as well)

Yellow
06-24-12, 07:55 PM
desoxyn

Jet Ranma
07-15-12, 04:42 PM
Hi all. Please pm me if you know a good doctor in NYC. I'm interested in desoxyn, but really just need help in treating my cripplingly severe ADD. thanks

retupmock
10-15-12, 05:17 PM
Hi all. Please pm me if you know a good doctor in NYC. I'm interested in desoxyn, but really just need help in treating my cripplingly severe ADD. thanks

Have you ever been treated by a doctor in NYC? Did you try the other medications (adderall, vyvanse, dexedrine, methylphenidate, etc.?)

Laserbeak
08-17-13, 09:29 AM
I've had luck finding hard-to-get prescriptions at Arrow Pharmacy (around 57th and 9th) and Joseph Pharmacy (W72nd just west of Broadway). In general the mom and pop pharmacies are usually better than the big chains when it comes to stocking unusual stuff IMHO. Hope that helps.

BronzeElemental
08-21-13, 11:11 PM
At the pharmacy I work at and every pharmacy I know of saying things are on backorder, especially CII drugs, is sometimes a polite way of saying we don't want to dispense it to you.