View Full Version : i love caffeine

yepimonfire
04-25-12, 10:22 AM
seriously, when combined with amphetamine based medications the two work together so synergistically that it practically annihilates my symptoms for several hours. strangely though, using either one of them on their own is not nearly as effective :scratch:

anyone else here find caffeine makes a profound difference in the effectiveness of ADHD meds?

jiffyPOP
04-25-12, 10:40 AM
I had to cut my coffee intake down to 1/4 of what I drank pre-stimulant medication. I self medicated with caffeine for years, so I drank a lot. Much more than any normal person would consider drinking. I love coffee, all types, and I love trying new types of coffee :)

I can no longer take those levels of caffeine with Adderall. It gives me the jitters, not to mention the constant urination and dehydration, so am experimenting finding my new level. I am finding that a cup of joe in the morning with my Adderall is probably perfect. I no longer feel the need to drink coffee all day long.

yepimonfire
04-25-12, 11:30 AM
yeah before getting back on the meds i was consuming upwards of 1000-2000mg of caffeine. it was insane.

silivrentoliel
04-25-12, 02:11 PM
Yup! Caffeine makes a massive difference in my attention span, but it has to be more than a cup of coffee. I generally have a cup of coffee and a caffeine pill along w/ morning meds, and I feel amazing. I don't do that often though. I'm not willing to get hooked on large amounts of caffeine like I was when I was younger. Not real healthy.

musiclvr2675
04-25-12, 03:22 PM
I'm really confused about consuming coffee while taking meds for ADHD. My understanding is to stay clear from certain acids (ie: citric acid, absorbic acid) because it absorbs the medicine and thus makes it ineffective.
"Foods, beverages, and supplements that are acidic in nature that are consumed with the medication will lower the pH in both the stomach and urine, which will result in faster elimination and reduced effect and duration of action of the drug. Examples of such things are orange and other juices (contain citric or other acids), soda (carbonic acid), vitamins B5 (pantothenic acid), B9 (folic acid), C (ascorbic acid), and many other things. (in general, anything that tastes sour is probably acidic)."

Now, maybe I'm confusing this, which is highly likely, but I know coffee has some levels of citric acid in it but due to roasting the beans they are reduced...nonetheless, present.
Anyone wanna help clarify this for me?

eclectic beagle
04-25-12, 03:36 PM
I have to consume caffeine for the sheer effect of ADHD + Sleep deprivation. As far as the result of combining meds with caffeine, let's just say my heart wanted to explode after doing so. I could focus better, but my anxiousness level went through the roof. I probably went too far with the caffeine, as I was on a very low dose of Concerta at the time.

Drewbacca
04-25-12, 05:03 PM
At my current Adderall dosage 20-30mg XR, I usually find that it isn't enough to sustain my attention... the only exception being the four hour mark when there is more overlap between releases. A cup of coffee however, and I'm in the zone for hours. The caffeine effect seems to last longer coupled with the Adderall too (almost double, from three hours to six hours of increased stimulation). On the flip side, I need to be careful because even one ounce too much coffee and I'm jittery and light headed.

oneup
04-25-12, 05:12 PM
yes and no--my focus is great w/ coffee and adderall, but I've been getting this tense/irritable/anxious feeling from mixing the two, along with insomnia. Also noticed if I drink too much coffee I get obsessed with things that may not be all that important. So I'm trying to reduce the caffeine, and will probably increase adderall mgs at next appt. for more effectiveness instead. I think I'm better off not mixing the two. I used to love caffeine though.

silivrentoliel
04-25-12, 06:30 PM
I'm really confused about consuming coffee while taking meds for ADHD. My understanding is to stay clear from certain acids (ie: citric acid, absorbic acid) because it absorbs the medicine and thus makes it ineffective.
"Foods, beverages, and supplements that are acidic in nature that are consumed with the medication will lower the pH in both the stomach and urine, which will result in faster elimination and reduced effect and duration of action of the drug. Examples of such things are orange and other juices (contain citric or other acids), soda (carbonic acid), vitamins B5 (pantothenic acid), B9 (folic acid), C (ascorbic acid), and many other things. (in general, anything that tastes sour is probably acidic)."

Now, maybe I'm confusing this, which is highly likely, but I know coffee has some levels of citric acid in it but due to roasting the beans they are reduced...nonetheless, present.

I haven't heard this for ADHD meds, but I can't have grapefruit juice while on Zoloft- never had problems w/ foods or drinks while on Concerta and Ritalin.

eclectic beagle
04-25-12, 06:54 PM

I've heard about the ADHD med's interaction with citric acid, however the psychiatrist I visited last all but dismissed it when I brought the issue up.

Drewbacca
04-25-12, 08:34 PM
Coffee is slightly acidic... pH is apx 5. Higher acid will decrease absorption of amphetamine but it won't do much of anything after the medication has been absorbed. I really doubt that one or two cups of coffee diluted in the stomach would cause a significant change in pH level.

"7.2 Agents that Lower Blood Levels of Amphetamines
Acidifying Agents
Gastrointestinal acidifying agents (e.g., guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCl, ascorbic acid) lower absorption of amphetamines. Urinary acidifying agents (e.g., ammonium chloride, sodium acid phosphate, methenamine salts) increase the concentration of the ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines." http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/AdderallXR_USA_ENG.PDF

My guess is that the change in absorbance is negligible. I can't find any quantitative data showing the effect of varying stomach acidity. According to the documentation, no studies have been performed:

"Pharmacokinetics
ADDERALL®tablets contain d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine salts in the ratio of 3:1. Following administration of a single dose 10 or 30 mg of ADDERALL®to healthy volunteers under fasted conditions, peak plasma concentrations occurred approximately 3 hours post-dose for both d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine. The mean elimination half-life (t1/2 ) for d-amphetamine was shorter than the t1/2 of the l-isomer (9.77-11 hours vs. 11.5-13.8 hours). The PK parameters (Cmax, AUC0-inf) of d-and l-amphetamine increased approximately three-fold from 10 mg to 30 mg indicating dose-proportional pharmacokinetics.
The effect of food on the bioavailability of ADDERALL® has not been studied.

Metabolism and Excretion
Amphetamine is reported to be oxidized at the 4 position of the benzene ring to form 4-hydroxyamphetamine, or on the side chain α or β carbons to form alpha-hydroxy-amphetamine or norephedrine, respectively. Norephedrine and 4-hydroxy-amphetamine are both active and each is subsequently oxidized to form 4-hydroxy-norephedrine. Alpha-hydroxy-amphetamine undergoes deamination to form phenylacetone, which ultimately forms benzoic acid and its glucuronide and the glycine conjugate hippuric acid. Although the enzymes involved in amphetamine metabolism have not been clearly defined, CYP2D6 is known to be involved with formation of 4-hydroxy-amphetamine. Since CYP2D6 is genetically polymorphic, population variations in amphetamine metabolism are a possibility.
Amphetamine is known to inhibit monoamine oxidase, whereas the ability of amphetamine and its metabolites to inhibit various P450 isozymes and other enzymes has not been adequately elucidated. In vitro experiments with human microsomes indicate minor inhibition of CYP2D6 by amphetamine and minor inhibition of CYP1A2, 2D6, and 3A4 by one or more metabolites. However, due to the probability of auto-inhibition and the lack of information on the concentration of these metabolites relative to in vivo concentrations, no predications regarding the potential for amphetamine or its metabolites to inhibit the metabolism of other drugs by CYP isozymes in vivo can be made.
With normal urine pHs approximately half of an administered dose of amphetamine is recoverable in urine as derivatives of alpha-hydroxy-amphetamine and approximately another 30%-40% of the dose is recoverable in urine as amphetamine itself. Since amphetamine has a pKa of 9.9, urinary recovery of amphetamine is highly dependent on pH and urine flow rates. Alkaline urine pHs result in less ionization and reduced renal elimination, and acidic pHs and high flow rates result in increased renal elimination with clearances greater than glomerular filtration rates, indicating the involvement of active secretion. Urinary recovery of amphetamine has been reported to range from 1% to 75%, depending on urinary pH, with the remaining fraction of the dose hepatically metabolized. Consequently, both hepatic and renal dysfunction have the potential to inhibit the elimination of amphetamine and result in prolonged exposures. In addition, drugs that effect urinary pH are known to alter the elimination of amphetamine, and any decrease in amphetamine's metabolism that might occur due to drug interactions or genetic polymorphisms is more likely to be clinically significant when renal elimination is decreased."

Drewbacca
04-25-12, 10:12 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, the pH of your stomach is < 5. So if anything, coffee would actually be relatively slightly basic compared to where it's going.

yepimonfire
04-26-12, 10:47 AM
i don't drink coffee usually. i just take a 200mg tab of caffeine.

keep these in my backpack when im at school/work, it's my emergency backup plan lol.