View Full Version : Non-traditional teachers

Chicky75
05-01-12, 07:19 PM
Just wondering if there are any other non-traditional teachers (i.e. not k-12) on here? When I was in college, I didn't realize that there were other ways to be a teacher besides being in a regular classroom. Now that I know better, I'm interested to find out what other types I don't know about. What's good/bad about where you teach?

I resisted going into teaching for a long time because of a lot of the things that people here say about k-12 teaching - lots of paperwork, rules to remember, etc. I almost broke down and went back to school for elementary ed after teaching abroad and realizing teaching is what I love to do. But then I fell into my current job at a workforce development agency, teaching ESL and computer skills in a job training program for adults.

Sir5r1
05-01-12, 09:04 PM
I've done non traditional teaching in a one to one with Learning disabled kids and it was a lot of fun and there was minimal paperwork.

I was teaching in a traditional High school environment but was put in an alternative high school and the kids are not LD, they are 90% behavioral problems, there's a lot of paperwork.

I am trying to retain my job but I think I would probably be a lot happier somewhere different.

Without medication my classroom management isn't good and the students are streetwise and will try to get over on you every chance they get.

Unmanagable
05-01-12, 09:36 PM
There's endless policies, endless paperwork, and massive amounts of political bs involved, but, the vocational rehab field comes to mind. Specific trade instruction, independent living skills, vocational evaluation, and many other various academic support roles.