View Full Version : Procrastination, Appetite and Eating Disorders

Fuzzy12
05-06-12, 04:32 PM
(Quick recap: I've always struggled with my eating habits. I've just started taking anti depressants, which have totally killed my appetite. Because of my eating disorder, I'm struggling to force myself to eat enough).

Today something strange is happening. It's not that I don't want to eat. I've barely eaten anything yesterday and today. I'm not trying to stop myself from eating though today. I've been planning since morning to make myself something to eat but I've just been procrastinating it for the entire day. Most of the day I felt too week to get up and get myself some food. I finally had an apple earlier and I'm feeling better now but I just don't feel like eating anything (as opposed to not wanting to eat because of weight issues).

I've always lamented the fact that humans are cursed with a sense of appetite but I'm now realising the importance of it. Maybe this is rather obvious but your appetite ensures that you get enough nutrition. Just knowing that you have to eat isn't enough (at least not for idiots like me).

I guess for people with ADHD who struggle with self regulation anyway, this must be even more important. Appetite motivates us to eat. Without appetite eating becomes another chore, another job to be endlessly procrastinated. Another thing on my to-do list. :doh:

I'm sorry by the way for stating the bleeding obvious. It's a bit of a revelation to me though. :scratch:

silivrentoliel
05-06-12, 07:19 PM
I often don't get hungry, or feel hungry anymore- so it isn't until I get dragged into the kitchen to help DH figure out what we're going to eat, or until I get a crippling belly ache that I realize I'm hungry.

I, like you, just don't get up to get food unless I'm going through the kitchen, which doesn't happen often- unless the dogs are outside. Granted, I could stand to miss a few meals, lol, but that isn't quite the point. ;)

Flory
05-06-12, 07:47 PM
i find when im hyper i can't eat too...i can't sit still long enough to get the stuff down ill just end up buzzing away to do something else >.< my appetite completely goes

Drewbacca
05-06-12, 08:17 PM
I guess for people with ADHD who struggle with self regulation anyway, this must be even more important. Appetite motivates us to eat. Without appetite eating becomes another chore, another job to be endlessly procrastinated. Another thing on my to-do list. :doh:

another chore... along with sleeping, waking up, brushing teeth, showering, picking up after myself, paying bills, etc. Sometimes I think that one of my primary problems is that all of these things that could be "habits" that I pay no attention to and just "do" end up taking up space in my already over-crowded "active memory." Sometimes I think of the ADHD as a multiple processor computer; but we only use one processor and frequently overload it to the point of burn out.

Fuzzy12
05-08-12, 08:38 PM
another chore... along with sleeping, waking up, brushing teeth, showering, picking up after myself, paying bills, etc. Sometimes I think that one of my primary problems is that all of these things that could be "habits" that I pay no attention to and just "do" end up taking up space in my already over-crowded "active memory." Sometimes I think of the ADHD as a multiple processor computer; but we only use one processor and frequently overload it to the point of burn out.

I always used to wonder about this even before I ever suspected I might have ADHD. It seems that the really basic things that come so naturally to others require a huge effort for me. Sometimes, I actually have to remind myself to breathe. :doh:

Fuzzy12
05-08-12, 08:49 PM
Things are getting quite bizarre. It's not any more so much that I don't want to eat or am worried about putting on weight but that I almost can't eat any more. I keep procrastinating it in spite of thinking that I really, really should eat something.

I'm quite surprised as well that the physical effects are rather extreme. I thought anorexics could go for years untreated. Or maybe they just seem extreme. Mentally, I'm absolutely a nut case but physically I've always been very healthy. I hardly ever even get a cold. Now my body seems to be shutting down a bit and it's worrying me. This never happened when I was younger. Or maybe then I didn't know my body so well, wasn't aware of how I felt physically and even if I did feel weak I probably didn't care.

I've been feeling so ****ty today I just couldn't get myself to eat. I finally had some cup soup though only because I promised myself that I could have a smoke while sipping my soup. I also had a sachet of a rehydration drink (which is basically just water mixed with some sugars and salt). It instantly made me feel better.

Still, it's strange. I haven't even lost that much of weight. A bit more than 10kg in about 3 months and though for some reason I look as if I've lost a lot of weight (and a few dress sizes) I still look by no means emaciated.

Still, I really, really need to start eating more again. I'm not that bothered about losing more weight though I'm terrified of putting it on again. But this is just stupid. I can't afford any health problems now. Uggh..priorities!! :mad:

artist79
05-08-12, 08:52 PM
I get overwhelmed by making decisions of what to eat and then the steps of preparation. I hate the entire process so much, that I avoid it almost at all costs. I seem to do better with cook for my children, but I don't always have an appetite for "what" I make for them so I don't always eat with them. I usually tell myself I'll make something different later, and never do. Instead I snack on junk all day because being hungry distracts me from being productive instead.

gracious_mama
05-08-12, 11:07 PM
Wish I could help but I struggle with the same type of thing. At 14 I started throwing up my food - not bingeing and purging per se I just would throw up whatever I ate. A year later I decided "what's the point in eating if I'm just gonna throw it up?" so I ate only what I had to so my parents wouldn't start bugging me. Still I ended up in the hospital at one point bc of low potassium...anyway I still find myself only eating when I absolutely HAVE to.

I know as a teen nothing made sense to me (undiagnosed ADD) and it calmed me bc it seemed like that the was the only thing I had control over.

I did enjoy a repreive when I was pregnant with my boys and actually ENJOYED eating for once in my life but I put on so much weight that after I had them I kind of resorted to eating the bare minimum (which was actually a lot when I was nursing my 2nd son)

Since then it's been on again off again. I survive on coffee and crackers most of the time which might have something to do with me being so tired all the time...:P

I did better with structure the short stint I was in rehab but since I left it has been a crapshoot. With 3 kids running around and all the stuff to do it is easy to "forget" to eat. When I was with my boyfriend he did all of the cooking (I HATE COOKING) and I did ok and ate a decent sized dinner every day.

I don't know if it is procrastination exactly but I tend to wait until the very end of the day to eat because I have a little bit of an appetite and it helps for my parents to see me eating also.

I've lost a lost of weight recently bc of just no appetite and the fear of gaining the weight back that I lost on drugs which has inspired a bit of panic and my parents are scared I might be using again but when I explained the situation their reaction was kind of funny, "oh ok it's just the eating disorder - no big deal"