View Full Version : [Possibly triggering] I either binge eat or starve.

jonnyc55
05-07-12, 11:07 AM
Anyone get like this? You alternate between binge eating snacks to starving yourself?

Fuzzy12
05-07-12, 11:15 AM
Yes. Big time. I'm incapable of eating normally.

I've got an eating disorder. For me food is a tool to control my mood. I work in two modes: Productive (i.e. when I starve myself) and slacking (that is when I binge eat). Binge eating for me is like a switch that when turned on means I can stop trying to be productive.

How do you feel when you binge eat or when starve?

jonnyc55
05-07-12, 11:20 AM

I've got an eating disorder. For me food is a tool to control my mood. I work in two modes: Productive (i.e. when I starve myself) and slacking (that is when I binge eat). Binge eating for me is like a switch that when turned on means I can stop trying to be productive.

Wow, I feel exactly the same!

I become a slob when I binge and crave more snacks for a mood boost.

When am working on something such as assignments I starve myself in order to get myself through the work load (or any tough time).

EDIT: I like reading interesting stuff on the internet and eating at the same time, it helps concentration.

Fuzzy12
05-07-12, 11:26 AM
Wow, I feel exactly the same!

I become a slob when I binge and crave more snacks for a mood boost.

When am working on something such as assignments I starve myself in order to get myself through the work load (or any tough time).

EDIT: I like reading interesting stuff on the internet and eating at the same time, it helps concentration.

Interesting your edit. I can't eat without doing something else at the same time. Irrespective of how hungry I am. I either need to be talking to people, read something or watch TV. I just can't only eat. It's too boring.

However, I can't eat and work at the same time. If I've got a deadline I can spend an entire day not eating because I want to finish my work first before I relax with some food.

Also, and this brings me back to the switch thing, when I'm binge eating, I want to forget about everything else. I think, I try to keep all my senses occupied to ward off any disturbing thoughts or emotions. Just eating isn't enough. Just reading/watching TV/browsing the internet isn't enough. I have to do it all at the same time to be able to let go.

jonnyc55
05-07-12, 11:38 AM
However, I can't eat and work at the same time. If I've got a deadline I can spend an entire day not eating because I want to finish my work first before I relax with some food.

That summed up my afternoon, i've just done a 2000 word essay while literally starving then when I finished I felt like I could go get something to eat.

I just know when i start eating i will be distracted and loose my train of thought.

You should see my essay, one minute I have the ability to connect all my thoughts and ideas together in a fantastic way, then the next minute my English turns into that of an 11 year old, then I got in a sulk with myself and slow downed the work load.

Fuzzy12
05-07-12, 11:41 AM
That summed up my afternoon, i've just done a 2000 word essay while literally starving then when I finished I felt like I could go get something to eat.

I just know when i start eating i will be distracted and loose my train of thought.

You should see my essay, one minute I have the ability to connect all my thoughts and ideas together in a fantastic way, then the next minute my English turns into that of an 11 year old, then I got in a sulk with myself and slow downed the work load.

Well, done on finishing your essay though!!!

I still have to mark some reports, write a chapter of my thesis, do laundry and a hell lot of other stuff. And eat something at some point. :doh:

Are you taking ADHD meds (or any other meds)? They can really mess with your appetite as well.

jonnyc55
05-07-12, 11:58 AM
Well, done on finishing your essay though!!!

I still have to mark some reports, write a chapter of my thesis, do laundry and a hell lot of other stuff. And eat something at some point. :doh:

Are you taking ADHD meds (or any other meds)? They can really mess with your appetite as well.

Hehe thanks :).

I am on prozac at 20mg a day, but I've always had this appetite bipolar thing even before I took prozac.

I was thinking of increasing my prozac dosage because at higher dosages prozac increases dopamine and norepinephrine.

fracturedstory
05-07-12, 08:45 PM
I mostly starve. I tend to eat more when not on meds (or less) but not to the point where it's a problem. My stomach usually reminds me to not eat so much but feeling sick from eating food I rarely eat. Good tasty food, not particularly healthy but it rejects it.

Flory
05-07-12, 08:56 PM
yeah im ex Eating disordered so no doubt thats compounded it further...but im either too buzzing or restless to eat or conversely so exhausted from the energy running my little body takes that i crash out before i can get food in me...i live off of coke and cigarettes with my daily meds chucked down with a sandwich or fruit etc..im looking to see my gp about some sort of eating programme because i have some food allergies that make me vomit when i eat particular things.....

Raye
05-08-12, 05:27 AM
Yes, some days I have a ferocious appetite, other days I hardly eat a thing. It's weird.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
05-08-12, 07:51 AM
Yes, mainly due to my meds, when they wear off I find that I'm starving. It's not on purpose, and I do eat on my meds just not as much. I have to drink a lot of protein shakes in between meals to avoid losing weight.

Actually binge isn't the right word, I've seen people binge on food, I don't do that, I just eat a lot more than usual. I don't like the feeling of eating too much in general, It makes me feel slow. I think most people eat more than they need to.

But there are days where I hardly eat anything and other days where I seem to eat all day, not really binge, but just consistently eat then snack and repeat.

WisconsinMomOf2
05-08-12, 11:50 AM
I was a compulsive overeater before starting meds. I was self-medicating with food. Since I've started meds, I've been eating when I'm hungry and making healthier choices. :yes:

im4marlins
05-12-12, 01:43 AM
Binge eating? Of course.

Typical day is cup of coffee in the morning, then running around fixing networks & computers all day. I honestly mean to stop between calls & eat lunch, but just never seem to be able to actually accomplish it. I'll have the next call in my head, and before you know it, I'm sitting in the customer's driveway.

In Oct. of 2011 I weighed 260 pounds and decided to loose weight to take strain off of a bad ankle rather than face having the bones fuzed at 90 degrees. Talk about motivation!

In 6 months (remember the holidays are in the middle of this) I lost 60 pounds. My Hyper-Focus is strong. I was eating 5-6 times per day, in small portions.

Now that I've achieved my weight goal (actually went past it) I'm falling back in to old patterns. The focus has shifted.

JollyBadger
05-12-12, 04:12 PM
My eating habits strongly tie in with my moods.

When I'm really stressed, I "go off my feed." There was a time several years ago, right about when I was diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and depression, where things were so bad at work that I would literally go days without eating. I'd sustain myself on Sprite Zero and maybe little snacky stuff, but that was it. Between that and the stress, I dropped a lot of weight. I looked good, and a lot of people commented on it, but was too miserable to enjoy it.

The reality-check came when I went to my doctor and described what was going on. He was impressed with my weight loss (I've always been "hefty") but concerned with the eating habits, and wrote "anorexia" as the description. Like I said, I've never been a skinny person and I always thought of someone with anorexia as being a super-skinny, slim bodied type. But, in my case, it was just a total loss of appetite.

When I'm really bored or upset, however, I eat. And never healthy stuff. I'd pack away a large pizza, or two of those thin-crust Totino's frozen pizzas (which are awesome, BTW) all by myself, in one sitting, without a second thought.

andyr
05-13-12, 06:18 PM
I can identify with just about everything written here so far, but wanted to add a couple of things. Like many here, I can spend a day without food pretty easily, and I can focus and work well like that. But once I start eating, it's almost impossible to stop. There's a restlessness about it, somewhere between boredom and anxiety. Feels like I'm trying to use food to sedate myself.

As long as you've got more than 10-15% body fat, it's fasting, not starving. The research is now saying that occasional fasting is very healthy, gives your body a chance to clean itself out, and even makes you live a bit longer.

Last year I discovered (at age 39) that I'm gluten intolerant, so that was the key to cutting sugar and grains completely from my diet. Hypnotherapy helped me to stop buying bad foods. I don't binge eat very often any more, and when I do, it's mostly fruit, nuts and meat. I don't think I've ever had a better memory, clearer head or healthier skin. I also found that Valdoxan (prescribed for me as anti-anxiety med) is a good appetite suppressant, which comes in very useful in tougher times.

As a child I remember eating a lot of raw sugar, even whole blocks of cake frosting or marzipan... it's good to feel a bit more in control. Very good luck to all of you who have to live with this.

someothertime
09-22-12, 03:59 AM
Exercise and paying attention to what I eat helped me a lot. Having said that, do that sporadically too LOL.

dogluver358
09-23-12, 11:38 AM
I have an eating disorder and I swing between eating more than I should (not binging) and starving myself. I'm trying to get help, but it's hard when you don't meet the insurance's body criteria. You literally have to have a bmi of less than 11.9 when the criteria for anorexia is 17.5. Ridiculous. If they'd help people sooner things wouldn't have to last so long and treatment would be much more beneficial and less expensive. But what can I say?

Is it me or does anyone else find some posts on this thread triggering?

scrambled86
10-08-12, 05:15 PM
I can relate to this post. A couple of people have suggested I have an eating disorder - though I don't believe I have - I'm not underweight at the moment.

I just can't eat if I'm concentrating on something. I can go for days without getting hungry.

Then sometimes I can't stop eating.

Anyone else find if they eat and exercise properly they have way too much energy and then can't sleep?

Sazzums
10-09-12, 01:50 AM
I will go 3-4 days without eating. It started off as just, forgetting, to have something, but has now become a tool for me to control an aspect of my life. When I do eat, I usually have the bare minimum, but then once every 2ish weeks I just can't get enough food into my mouth, and I usually end up over eating so much that I am physically ill from it.

gemini-dreamer
11-18-12, 11:33 PM

Exactly what I do and why.... (or how)