View Full Version : trouble with noise - only solution meds?

kinglizard
05-09-12, 07:28 AM
I live in a small-ish townhouse with my parents and two younger brothers (age 20 and 12), as well as two dogs. Unfortunately, due to OCD, I am relatively incapacitated and unable to live independently.

The problem is that *every* single sound bleeds through the house, into my bedroom. I can't ascertain if it's something to do with the specific wall-material used, or the fact that my bedroom door directly faces the staircase, but it's driving me insane. I have lived here for over a year and am in a constant state of stress because my family is so noisy. I have noise-cancelling headphones as well as ear plugs, which work, but I guess I hate being dependent on them.

Anyway, I've found that if I am on stimulating medication, yet in a more tolerable environment - e.g. I recently house-sat for a week - I feel *so* much more at peace. I've also found SSRIs and mood-stabilizers reduce my noise sensitivity (by reducing anxiety I presume), but also interfere with my ADD, and I just hate taking them in general. My ideal plan was to take stimulants as monotherapy and use CBT to cope with the OCD, but I can't handle this noise. Due to having OCD, I'm forced to spend a lot of time at home and it (the noise) makes concentrating utterly impossible.

Anyway, I feel like my circumstances are relatively atypical, i.e. I can handle noise (traffic, etc.) in general, but am just so irritable and dysphoric over my home situation. The idea of having to be put on something just to tolerate my family is anathema to me, since I find most anxiolytics mentally dulling, but are there any alternatives?

I almost feel like my reaction is purely physiological - and also a basic human response to an annoyance - so have my doubts about whether CBT or exposure would work?

Shevey
05-09-12, 10:41 AM
I don't know about any psychiatric methods for dealing with that, but have you tried the sound-proofing your room physically in addition to the noise-cancelling headphones? Maybe add a white-noise machine as well, or will that bother you too? Here are some DIY links:

Soundproofing for "Party" Walls to block acoustical and impact sound:
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/various-soundproofing.htm

Acoustical egg-crate foam (will not address impact sound transmission):
http://www.foambymail.com/acoustical-eggcrate-foam.html

DIY Soundproofing Demonstration Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ReTr9Syqg

DIY Soundproofing Materials:
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/spf_info.html

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

theloner
06-07-12, 07:02 PM
I live in a small-ish townhouse with my parents and two younger brothers (age 20 and 12), as well as two dogs. Unfortunately, due to OCD, I am relatively incapacitated and unable to live independently.

The problem is that *every* single sound bleeds through the house, into my bedroom. I can't ascertain if it's something to do with the specific wall-material used, or the fact that my bedroom door directly faces the staircase, but it's driving me insane. I have lived here for over a year and am in a constant state of stress because my family is so noisy. I have noise-cancelling headphones as well as ear plugs, which work, but I guess I hate being dependent on them.

Anyway, I've found that if I am on stimulating medication, yet in a more tolerable environment - e.g. I recently house-sat for a week - I feel *so* much more at peace. I've also found SSRIs and mood-stabilizers reduce my noise sensitivity (by reducing anxiety I presume), but also interfere with my ADD, and I just hate taking them in general. My ideal plan was to take stimulants as monotherapy and use CBT to cope with the OCD, but I can't handle this noise. Due to having OCD, I'm forced to spend a lot of time at home and it (the noise) makes concentrating utterly impossible.

Anyway, I feel like my circumstances are relatively atypical, i.e. I can handle noise (traffic, etc.) in general, but am just so irritable and dysphoric over my home situation. The idea of having to be put on something just to tolerate my family is anathema to me, since I find most anxiolytics mentally dulling, but are there any alternatives?

I almost feel like my reaction is purely physiological - and also a basic human response to an annoyance - so have my doubts about whether CBT or exposure would work?

I can't deal with any noise before I take my med's and also at times I imagine when my meds wear off, everything seems louder from someone doing the dishes and clanging the dishes, to the washer running, running the sweeper etc. I feel like screaming when I get like that

ana futura
06-07-12, 07:11 PM
I have misophonia. My tolerance to noises is greatly improved with ADHD meds, but greatly worsened when they wear off.

Mindfulness meditation excercises can help you manage your reaction to noise.